The Philaflava Project (2009)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

DLG wrote: I don't know, Intuition should be signed to Rhymesayers and touring the country already. Dude is ready. The beat is nasty too.
This. My girl was saying the exact same shit the day before yesterday.

:cheers: to everyone on this. DLing right now.

EDIT: this whole thing is nice so far. vandy and mike song is great. they should do more shit together.
Last edited by PopeyeJones on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

ardamus wrote:the track with stik and godamus is my fav.
it's definitely an amazing track. probably between that one, tui's track and represent to the fullest.

good work, everybody.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PopeyeJones wrote: vandy and mike song is great. they should do more shit together.
This was one of the things I've enjoyed about the project. Vanderslice and OME never would have worked together, simply because they run in different circles. I don't even think they knew of one another but the track works and really allows somebody like OME to rip a Slice beat and allows OME to rap on something that you wouldn't normally find him on.

I agree about Lee, the dude is ready. Also, the Godamus/Stik track was actually leaked earlier this year on Sounds Like The 90s. So I'm glad most of you stay checking for those monthly compilations. Lol.

Nathan Blazze and Big Scen I knew nothing of prior to this and now I think both are real nice. Tim and I are thinking about doing a spotlight series moving forward. Maybe a bi-monthly EP with a PF emcee and producers. Maybe switch it up where on EP is a spotlight on the producer and we have a handful of emcees rip their tracks.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

yeah man, mike's track with vandy is soooo good.

loving big scen's track too. sounds like the golden era.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Open Mike Eagle is the only reason to ever voluntarily listen to Fatterslice.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

the second i heard that beat i knew eagle had to rap on it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ALASKA wrote:the second i heard that beat i knew eagle had to rap on it.
And that's why you're the executive producer.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

ha

Dids

Post by Dids »

Ardy-

If that track is a rough draft, imo your vocals are mixed a bit high/the beat is too low. That was through shitty headphones with a lot of traffic next to me, so ymmv.

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

Dids wrote:Ardy-

If that track is a rough draft, imo your vocals are mixed a bit high/the beat is too low. That was through shitty headphones with a lot of traffic next to me, so ymmv.

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

after listening to this a few more times i'm impressed by all of it.

Rappers:
I knew Godamus, Alaska, Stik, and Intuition's shit all before. So no surprises there.

Godamus is dope, never disapoints me. I've heard a handful of his songs before, and i stay impressed. and you can sing. fuck you for that.

Alaska is nasty as hell. dude can rap his ass off. he strings words together extremely well.

Stik Figa i've been limited to by what i've heard. but i know dude is nice.

Intuition is a great songwriter. He deserves to have a successful career.

OME I knew had been making some waves, but I only heard one of his songs before. He's not what I would classify as the kind of shit I usually listen to, but he does it well, and I'll definitely check out for some more of his stuff.

Ardamus is dope. I think i'd only heard one of his tracks previously.

Selfsays sounds like a mix between breez and another dude i know personally. good thing. he's got a unique style and flow. i like.

Nathan Blaze is good. track went over my head the first time when i wasn't really paying attention. It's nice though.

Galvatron should put an album out.

Producers:
Chance Random is clearly dope, i mean 3 dudes picked the same beat from him.

Blockhead - Alaska, you suck for not giving me a chance to rap on a blockhead beat. :owens:

Wes Restless i have never heard anything else from. shame on me.

Vanderslice i'm familiar with because he works with a homie of mine, Rob Viktum.

Falside I really dug the represent beat. We couldn't figure out who the fuck submitted it for a while, though. I think his shit meshed pretty well with my style.

Dirty bird is cool. Did you by chance grow up in ithaca, NY. and if so, are you a ginger?

Equalibrum is dope as fuck. always.

A few general comments:
Thanks to Gloss and Alaska for putting this together, and having the patience to work with so many rappers. we all know rappers suck at doing things in a timely manner.

If you guys do any more projects similar to the ones you were talking about earlier in the thread, count me in.

Thanks to all the MC's and beat makers that were a part of this project, qwalms for doing the artwork, steady bloggin for puttin this shit up, and the :phila: for checkin it.

i had some other shit to say but i forget cuz this is getting long.

that said, anyone who sees an opportunity to build in any way can email me bigscen@gmail.com or tell me to email them if they're lazy.

post is long because everyone on the project put a good amount of their own time, deserved some feedback.

good job.
you fuckers are making me stop lurking. that's like 3 posts in 2 days.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ You make me forget about my :ohcanada: hate. :cheers:

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

Philaflava wrote:^ You make me forget about my :ohcanada: hate. :cheers:
don't blow up my spot! any hate i get from here-on forward i'm blaming on you!

alaska asked me where i was from in an email. i told him i knew someone would eventually ask.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

this project sounds good. the sequencing is solid, the sound of the beats are surprisingly cohesive, considering the diversity of the producers, who mostly turn in heat and fire. the beats are really good, and are quite state of the underground art in 2009. this project actually ~feels and sounds like Philaflava~, surprisingly. congradulations.

Ardamus, for some reason, your contributions weren't hitting me that much this time. I like 'Feel Nothing' more though, that shit is pretty dope.

Big Scen, way to hold it down for us, mayne. I like your other songs better than these ones, but I'm never mad at a Nas sample. That beat is dope. I enjoy your attitude towards hip hop, it sounds like you just do it from the heart, which is appreciated. 'Do You' has more favorite raps, but I like the beat of the other one more... still, um... do you. mad love homie :lol:

"used to sound like El-P, now you sound like Pac" - Galvy :rofl:
dude, what did you say? "the first thing I did was.... by Ras Kass". I can't make out that line. But that's the freshest thing I ever heard you make, Galvy. Your outro is funny.

intuition's song is pretty dope and well-written, among one of the best overall creations... but his inflection seems too influenced by slug's nonchalance and self-aware subject matter. but the beat? these drums and samples are siiiiick and tightly arranged. the tension drags of the song really enhance it, and as the guitar bridge assembles itself, the song evolves much higher. that outro is fucking ILL. way to chop shit, Equalibrium. :hooray:

my personal favorite jam is 'Everybody's Birthday'. illest beat and illest rapping on it to me. Open Mike Eagle does the microphone dirty with his dopeness. wonderful chorus. amazing rap styles. you owned the beat. Vanderslice made greatness right thurr. can't be mad at his beat.

this 'Passin' Me By' update IS HOW YOU UPDATE A SONG. Why don't motherfuckers get that? Take the idea and genuinely improve on it, not jack for beats and barely add on. Godamus Rhymes, you fucking MURDERRRRRED this production. This beat/sound/song should be heard by waaaay more people. this might be the biggest moment of the project.

good work, fellas.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:this project sounds good. the sequencing is solid, the sound of the beats are surprisingly cohesive, considering the diversity of the producers, who mostly turn in heat and fire. the beats are really good, and are quite state of the underground art in 2009. this project actually ~feels and sounds like Philaflava~, surprisingly. congradulations.

Ardamus, for some reason, your contributions weren't hitting me that much this time. I like 'Feel Nothing' more though, that shit is pretty dope.

Big Scen, way to hold it down for us, mayne. I like your other songs better than these ones, but I'm never mad at a Nas sample. That beat is dope. I enjoy your attitude towards hip hop, it sounds like you just do it from the heart, which is appreciated. 'Do You' has more favorite raps, but I like the beat of the other one more... still, um... do you. mad love homie :lol:

"used to sound like El-P, now you sound like Pac" - Galvy :rofl:
dude, what did you say? "the first thing I did was.... by Ras Kass". I can't make out that line. But that's the freshest thing I ever heard you make, Galvy. Your outro is funny.

intuition's song is pretty dope and well-written, among one of the best overall creations... but his inflection seems too influenced by slug's nonchalance and self-aware subject matter. but the beat? these drums and samples are siiiiick and tightly arranged. the tension drags of the song really enhance it, and as the guitar bridge assembles itself, the song evolves much higher. that outro is fucking ILL. way to chop shit, Equalibrium. :hooray:

my personal favorite jam is 'Everybody's Birthday'. illest beat and illest rapping on it to me. Open Mike Eagle does the microphone dirty with his dopeness. wonderful chorus. amazing rap styles. you owned the beat. Vanderslice made greatness right thurr. can't be mad at his beat.

this 'Passin' Me By' update IS HOW YOU UPDATE A SONG. Why don't motherfuckers get that? Take the idea and genuinely improve on it, not jack for beats and barely add on. Godamus Rhymes, you fucking MURDERRRRRED this production. This beat/sound/song should be heard by waaaay more people. this might be the biggest moment of the project.

good work, fellas.
YOU'RE NOT GETTING INCLUDED AS A BONUS TRACK IN A FUTURE REPRESSING, FAGGOT

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

surprise, surprise.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

nm....

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:surprise, surprise.
I predicted your entry into this thread, Sissy Spacek. Now bounce the fuck back to Transsexual because nobody, not even Employee on his cloudiest day of hallucinatory glee, wants to hear you prattle on about production values. You fucking idiot.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:this 'Passin' Me By' update IS HOW YOU UPDATE A SONG. Why don't motherfuckers get that? Take the idea and genuinely improve on it, not jack for beats and barely add on.
when they do it.....fresh
when you do it.....not so good.

now get your faggot ass out of this thread because this thread is absolutely not about you in any way shape or form.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Shup Diddy wrote:
Dids wrote:Ardy-

:copy: I'll take those.

Part of the reason why I did two tracks and I thought they'd pick one. I sent them that track as an idea and in my mind I scrapped it once I did the song over Chance's beat. I didn't think they were going to use it honestly but they wanted to.

For you Dids, I'm gonna make a rape remix. Full out pedophile screams with Chris Hansen shouting out "Have A Seat" in the background DJ Clue style. I'll call it the Triple Chin, Fatty Fat, She Said She Was 18 remix in honor of you. Thanx for listening.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ALASKA wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:this 'Passin' Me By' update IS HOW YOU UPDATE A SONG. Why don't motherfuckers get that? Take the idea and genuinely improve on it, not jack for beats and barely add on.

now get your faggot ass out of this thread because this thread is absolutely not about you in any way shape or form.
stop being a fucking dickhead just for the sake of it, Tim. i'm not offended, shocked, or impressed. You know you're better than Roger. And you two talking about me made this thread more about me than I did. Talk about the PhilaProject, not me.

Open Mike Eagle, thank GOD for you keeping the Blowed rhyme style and tradition alive. You sound a bit like golden era Acey with a sprinkle of Myka, and touch of the Abby Rudeness.

rap needs your music.
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
ALASKA wrote:

stop being a fucking dickhead just for the sake of it, Tim.
it's not a good look on you.
thanks for the life coaching! and nice :icedit: again bounce from the thread. it has nothing to do with you. keep your sideways compliments to yourself and fuck off. go create another day in heaven but dont do it here because you will just sully whats going on here.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

i just learned that godamus went to school with the dude kojo who im working on my new shit with. small world.

Verge

Post by Verge »

I'm an asshole for complaining about that beat being used three times
without reading the thread first. Gonna go play in the street now.
But, like I said, I like mostly everything on this.
Good job all.
Look forward to more projects.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Verge wrote:I'm an asshole for complaining about that beat being used three times
without reading the thread first. Gonna go play in the street now.
But, like I said, I like mostly everything on this.
Good job all.
Look forward to more projects.
it wasnt even addressed until after you mentioned it and we knew people wouild want to know whats what.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

haha that beat being used thrice was fucking with me on my walk this morning while I listened.

I thought perhaps there was a concept to this mix that I neglected to read, like the producers had a select number samples to use. I started listening to the record trying to figure it out. haha.

turns out it's not complicated at all. Just one beat required 3 songs. Fine by me. Each song is fucking dope.

I was worried about a Passin Me By redux, but they pulled it off. tremendous work there. "The Getaway" is cool too.

Intuition, I knew he'd kill it. Damn impressive too as you'd think from the title that it was some about to be some sappy ass shit. Pleasant surprise. had me nostalgic, thinking about the girls I used to keep in that same special pocket. haha.

Alaska is one of my favorite fast rappers, even if he did rock punch-ins on this joint. The dude just has a knack for stringing together tangents of wordplay without sacrificing the connections because he's doing it in double time. if that makes sense.

Open Mike Eagle needs to be on the funkiest shit on the planet. period.

knew nothing of Big Scen, but I'm a fan now. Dude kills "Represent To The Fullest"

was also digging the narrative on Nathan Blaze's track. Tough story. arthritis for real?

ohh and I'm thinking I might become an Ardamus fan. I've been thinking of checking out dude's music for some time. But, never jumped on it. These tracks are dope.

Falside

Post by Falside »

The project is dope. I didn't know I was a part of this until about 3 days ago, or who Big Scen was, but shit sounds good. I am Falside by the way, for those who didn't know.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Thanx GM. I got some more stuff to peep if you'd like.

Falside, check your twitter......I hit you and Seez Mics up about doing something like you mentioned.

Btw, shoutouts to Big Scen for his track. Never heard homie rap and he was on point.

Biggest surprise on this album is Open Mike Eagle and Vanderslice working together. Shit came out dope but I would've never seen them working together off the break.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Damn, really impressed by this. Galvy killed that shit (plus that beat is insane; pretty obvious why everyone jumped on it). That and the Intuition track are probably my favs after one listen.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Not to sound like I'm a cheerleader but I'm thoroughly pleased with how this came out. The sequence to the vibe to length of the project. Everything came out dope. I think I've played "Represent To The Fullest" about a dozen times already.