Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (produced by Just Blaze)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

i would say non-rappers listen to more rap music than rappers.
if i was a rapper i would spend a big chunk of time writing and listening to my own shit and my crews shit.

so imo non rappers are more qualified to critique.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Philaflava wrote: I definitely was not speaking on your motives. I don't think I've singled anyone out in this entire thread. Some rappers love him, some don't see the hype. It's kinda if the shoe fits I guess. But let me be clear that I don't begrudge your career decisions or the opinions that come with them.
Its all goodness. The cool part is people can like us both, either or neither. Who knows? Maybe 2010 is the YOTCTP. LMAO

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Cash Rulz wrote:
Philaflava wrote: I definitely was not speaking on your motives. I don't think I've singled anyone out in this entire thread. Some rappers love him, some don't see the hype. It's kinda if the shoe fits I guess. But let me be clear that I don't begrudge your career decisions or the opinions that come with them.
Maybe 2010 is the YOTCTP. LMAO
Doubt it, you don't have a Just Blaze beat. :lol:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Philaflava wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Maybe 2010 is the YOTCTP. LMAO
Doubt it, you don't have a Just Blaze beat. :lol:
Touche'.

:cheers:

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Cash Rulz wrote:As a rapper I'm going to be more critical of other rappers because I know what it takes to create a verse or a good track.
Do you really, though? I ask this because most people here who've heard your music would say you've never recorded anything that even vaguely resembles a good track and, at your very best, you're little more than a dime-a-dozen netcee making generic music nobody will ever listen to twice.

In fact, weren't the tracks you posted here in that competition you had with Mindbender so bland that people actually prefered Mindbender's set of unholy squawkfests instead?

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:As a rapper I'm going to be more critical of other rappers because I know what it takes to create a verse or a good track.
Do you really, though? I ask this because most people here who've heard your music would say you've never recorded anything that even vaguely resembles a good track and, at your very best, you're little more than a dime-a-dozen netcee making generic music nobody will ever listen to twice.

In fact, weren't the tracks you posted here in that competition you had with Mindbender so bland that people actually prefered Mindbender's set of unholy squawkfests instead?
You're good at internet research. Do it and let me know what you come up with.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I'm afraid my 'net research is restricted to looking up Icesickle's credit history these days, man.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:I'm afraid my 'net research is restricted to looking up Icesickle's credit history these days, man.
Yikes. :megaman:

I could use a flatscreen if he's doing aight.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Thun wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:Opinions. Enjoy yours.
It's a fact, though. And you really shouldn't take it as an insult. The kid is transcendent. He just has it.

True King

Post by True King »

song of the year personally. comin from somebody who hardly heard the guy before.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

True King wrote:song of the year personally.
Philaflava's 25 Favorite Tracks of 2009

1. Jay Electronica ג€“ Exhibit C
2. Raekwon ג€“ New Wu feat. Ghostface Killah & Method Man
3. DOOM - Gazzillion Ear
4. Big Boi - Fo Yo Sorrows feat. Too $hort & George Clinton
5. Clipse - By Popular Demand (Popeye's) feat. Cam'Ron
6. Big Boi - Shine Blockas feat. Gucci Mane
7. UGK - Used To Be feat. E-40, B-Legit, 8 Ball And MJG
8. The Roots - How I Got Over
9. Cam'Ron - I Hate My Job (Original Mix)
10. Brother Ali - Best@It feat. Freeway & Joell Ortiz
11. Clipse - Kind of Like A Big Deal feat. Kanye West
12. Raekwon - Surgical Gloves
13. Wu-Tang Clan - Radiant Jewels feat. Cormega & Sean Price
14. Kurious - Benneton feat. MC Search & DOOM
15. CunninLynguists - George (Remix) feat. Khujo Goodi & Killer Mike
16. Cormega ג€“ Rapture
17. Raekwon ג€“ Kiss The Ring feat. Inspectah Deck & Masta Killa
18. Open Mike Eagle - iRock
19. Joell Ortiz - Move On (Slaughterhouse Mix) feat. Joe Budden, Royce Da 5'9" & Crooked I
20. Felt (Murs & Slug) ג€“ Permanent Standby
21. Saigon - The Rules
22. Fabolous ג€“ Lullaby
23. Musab ג€“ Get Life
24. Q-Tip - Renaissance
25. Freddie Gibbs - I'm That Nigga

service

Post by service »

One nitpicky thing that really does bug me about this track is that this is, what, the 25th song he's ever made and he has rhymed "hannukah" with "yarmulke" on three of them now :lol:

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

Philaflava wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Philaflava wrote: Exactly! You know how I feel about your skills but the problem with you is aside from a few CL cameos not many people are familiar with you at all. You have talent for days but your biggest crutch would be your inept marketing, promoting and branding of Cashmere The Pro. Mixed in with your blase passion towards actually being a rapper vs. 9-5'r with benefits. You are also mad inconsistent with recording material. Nah mean?
Understand. You're absolutely right. I don't try. I had my fun doing this before the internet became big and ran one of the most successful showcases in NYC during 94-95.

And its not as much inconsistent with recording material as I don't have one single Just Blaze beat to my name.

In addition to no matter what I think about myself, it doesn't change that our opinions differ about Jay E. I think he's aight at best and that's not a comparison. I think any bench play baller in the NBA is aight, but they still better than me. Not saying I think Jay E's better than me, but saying that I can make a judgement of an individual without basing it on myself.

You don't even rap and you're making judgements and comparisons. If you're able to do that without being "bitter" then why do you find it so hard to believe that those who disagree with you can too?
I don't find it hard that people aren't as enamored with Jay as I am. Too each is own, I get it. What I don't get is some of the responses made in this thread about his skills or about this track. It's like we all can agree Michael Jordan was the best basketball player of all-time. We all can agree Megan Good is a dime, so why can't we all agree that Jay is nice or that this track is dope? The reasoning is my beef because all of the discrepancies have come from mostly rappers in this thread.

Also, not being a rapper makes it much easier and elusive for me to call it. Some of the greatest things that have come from hip-hop, were visions of non-rappers. The components to classic tracks or albums. Rappers are like basketball players, but most of them can't win without some guidance, a game plan and a coach. That's why most will continue to fail.
I guess some of my previous responses are not factored in this. As a rapper I'm going to be more critical of other rappers because I know what it takes to create a verse or a good track. No matter what you say, no matter what no truly NON-RAPPER says, you will NEVER know what it takes to do that. You have an idea. You can appreciate the end result. You are more than capable of forming an opinion about it, but I'm going to be more critical of it because I do it. That doesn't make my opinion more valid than yours, but it does mean that there's probably alot more that goes into my decision making than you. Its like watching those chef shows and seeing them critique other chefs. Me and you would probably just say this taste bad or good. They break it down to the nth degree.

So ultimately, when I listen to him, I hear a good rapper. Someone with skills. But to me at best he's aight. He's done the Hanukkah/Yamaka thing in two different things that I've heard and as an emcee, I'm pretty sure that there's no super significance to them. They just fuckin' rhyme with Electronica. I don't see the story tellin' yall see and his voice is too monotone for me. Is he wack? Hell no. Would never say that.

But, and I'll say this like everyone on phila talks, to say that I don't like him because I'm not a successful rapper is some faggot shit, lol. I'm not trying to be a successful rapper. I hope the nigga is successful. For real. But don't speak on my motives when my reasons were clear from jump. I just don't agree with you and that's it.

Enjoy his music. I'll listen when I can.
I definitely was not speaking on your motives. I don't think I've singled anyone out in this entire thread. Some rappers love him, some don't see the hype. It's kinda if the shoe fits I guess. But let me be clear that I don't begrudge your career decisions or the opinions that come with them.

EEERRRR...actually Jay
Philaflava wrote:Come on man, deep down, you, Hired Gun, Mike and a few others are pissed that your skills don't get recognized or talked about as some of the others.
You not only singled out a few, ya lumped a bunch of us together. :lol: . If I were to base my career on the opinion of this board and the noise I do or dont get here, I'd a stopped rapping a long time ago...then I wouldn't been in URB, on tour with J-Live etc. :lol: . But this is a forum and the internet so discussion has to be made. I just smile and wave =). People can talk all day and say what they gonna do or did. Imma k.i.m., its all karma and comes out in the wash, and on that note, Imma keep quiet :-). And I'm actually one of the "rappers" in this thread who LIKES Jay electronica. LOL.
HIRED GUN-Straight Organics
http://www.freshrootsmusic.com

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

service wrote:One nitpicky thing that really does bug me about this track is that this is, what, the 25th song he's ever made and he has rhymed "hannukah" with "yarmulke" on three of them now :lol:
He's also always "On fire like cracked atoms"

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:

come on Lex, there is so much personal bias that goes into whether or not like any one individual likes a song or not. Few people especially on a forum are really that objective. When it comes to this internet stuff, so much of its political, its ridiculous. If the internet has a truly lasting legacy on hip hop, is that it broadened the elitism that existed, and brought it more to the fore. For every person who may have voted against Cash on this board Im sure Cash could put up twice the number that have gotten his material, been to his shows etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong Cash, but I think what he's been nicely trying to say (and I'm sure some of the other emcees will nod their head to is) is, while you all hold your opinion in some high regard as if, it reflects the totality and reality of our world...off this website people are doing or have done things that more then justify them continuing and more then justify them feeling that they are credible talented dope artists. Be it shows with crowds, tours, press etc. And not BS press or political hook ups, but actual work put in, and props given. All the emcees that have been mentioned have credits that get acknowledged off this board. Our careers dont exist here.

True King

Post by True King »

Philaflava wrote:
True King wrote:song of the year personally.
Philaflava's 25 Favorite Tracks of 2009

1. Jay Electronica ג€“ Exhibit C
2. Raekwon ג€“ New Wu feat. Ghostface Killah & Method Man
3. DOOM - Gazzillion Ear
4. Big Boi - Fo Yo Sorrows feat. Too $hort & George Clinton
5. Clipse - By Popular Demand (Popeye's) feat. Cam'Ron
6. Big Boi - Shine Blockas feat. Gucci Mane
7. UGK - Used To Be feat. E-40, B-Legit, 8 Ball And MJG
8. The Roots - How I Got Over
9. Cam'Ron - I Hate My Job (Original Mix)
10. Brother Ali - Best@It feat. Freeway & Joell Ortiz
11. Clipse - Kind of Like A Big Deal feat. Kanye West
12. Raekwon - Surgical Gloves
13. Wu-Tang Clan - Radiant Jewels feat. Cormega & Sean Price
14. Kurious - Benneton feat. MC Search & DOOM
15. CunninLynguists - George (Remix) feat. Khujo Goodi & Killer Mike
16. Cormega ג€“ Rapture
17. Raekwon ג€“ Kiss The Ring feat. Inspectah Deck & Masta Killa
18. Open Mike Eagle - iRock
19. Joell Ortiz - Move On (Slaughterhouse Mix) feat. Joe Budden, Royce Da 5'9" & Crooked I
20. Felt (Murs & Slug) ג€“ Permanent Standby
21. Saigon - The Rules
22. Fabolous ג€“ Lullaby
23. Musab ג€“ Get Life
24. Q-Tip - Renaissance
25. Freddie Gibbs - I'm That Nigga
nice list, I'm working on some end of the year mixes & a lot of these will be on there. Heard all except for Q-Tip, Mike Eagle and Musab (never even heard of these people to be honest)

whats that Q Tip joint from?

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDZquOlV4Ew&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eDZquOlV4Ew&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

hired gun wrote:
I Drive A Lexus wrote:

come on Lex, there is so much personal bias that goes into whether or not like any one individual likes a song or not. Few people especially on a forum are really that objective. When it comes to this internet stuff, so much of its political, its ridiculous. If the internet has a truly lasting legacy on hip hop, is that it broadened the elitism that existed, and brought it more to the fore. For every person who may have voted against Cash on this board Im sure Cash could put up twice the number that have gotten his material, been to his shows etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong Cash, but I think what he's been nicely trying to say (and I'm sure some of the other emcees will nod their head to is) is, while you all hold your opinion in some high regard as if, it reflects the totality and reality of our world...off this website people are doing or have done things that more then justify them continuing and more then justify them feeling that they are credible talented dope artists. Be it shows with crowds, tours, press etc. And not BS press or political hook ups, but actual work put in, and props given. All the emcees that have been mentioned have credits that get acknowledged off this board. Our careers dont exist here.
Nah, man.

The Cashmere vs. Mindbender competition was held not all that long ago. Cash did lose rounds. It was either a tie or Mindbender won. Speaking as an asshole spectator/jaded self-important critic, if you're forty or approaching it and you're engaged in battle with Mindbender in the cyber wasteland there is something deeply, deeply wrong with you. Rap existence wise.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I like this song. Final verse is verse of the year.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:I like this song. Final verse is verse of the year.
Fanboy!

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

IthiKKKle is in his bedroom right now molding clay figurines of Drake, Lupe Fiasco and Jay Electronica into a wonderfully erotic Transformer.

The kiln is burning.

He is sobbing in silence to "Kick, Push" and reciting the lyrcis using sign language.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Employee wrote:IthiKKKle is in his bedroom right now molding clay figurines of Drake, Lupe Fiasco and Jay Electronica into a wonderfully erotic Transformer.

The kiln is burning.

He is sobbing in silence to "Kick, Push" and reciting the lyrcis using sign language.
:lol:

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

Employee wrote:
hired gun wrote:
I Drive A Lexus wrote:

Nah, man.

The Cashmere vs. Mindbender competition was held not all that long ago. Cash did lose rounds. It was either a tie or Mindbender won. Speaking as an asshole spectator/jaded self-important critic, if you're forty or approaching it and you're engaged in battle with Mindbender in the cyber wasteland there is something deeply, deeply wrong with you. Rap existence wise.
you realize some rappers (who aren't so self important, aren't as jaded, or ego driven) just like to rap, right? Just like to have fun? I know that seems like a novelty, not real, and bullshit but it is true. Cash ain't invincible ,and God looks after babies and fools so anything can happen :lol: . Seriously though, sometimes this board and its experts takes themselves way too seriously...as if the opinions here define the culture. If :phila:board said it, it has to be gospel. If :phila:board likes you then its no question you'll blow. don't get on :phila: board bad side, they can make or break you god! It gets like that around here sometimes, and some days its great entertainment...other times its like...really? LOL. Really? Aside from the nYc artists whom I've either booked for a show, rocked with or run in the same circles, and the obvious heavyweights all the other :phila: board rappers I'd never heard of in life before I came to HHI and then here. every. single. one. All that means is, its a very large world and for most of us talking on here, we just in it trying to do our thing. ain't no one runnin shit. boarders or rappers.

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

And I did miss something, icesickle banned or something?

starks

Post by starks »

ackbar wrote:
starks wrote:
ackbar wrote:part of me feels like 200 people are making this same song (especially the beat) worldwide
?
beat just didn't stand out to me
judging from nahright shit is the next a milli/i get money

starks

Post by starks »

Employee wrote: He is sobbing in silence to "Kick, Push" and reciting the lyrcis using sign language.
:rofl:

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

hired gun wrote:...as if the opinions here define the culture. If :phila:board said it, it has to be gospel. If :phila:board likes you then its no question you'll blow. don't get on :phila: board bad side, they can make or break you god!
:naswtf: I'm not an artist so maybe I just don't pick up on it like you do, but I don't really catch that at all on here. I mean, people here will shit all over artists but I don't really think anyone on here considers themselves a tastemaker for anywhere but the board. You come across as more and more bitter as time goes by.

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

odium-LSC wrote:
hired gun wrote:...as if the opinions here define the culture. If :phila:board said it, it has to be gospel. If :phila:board likes you then its no question you'll blow. don't get on :phila: board bad side, they can make or break you god!
:naswtf: I'm not an artist so maybe I just don't pick up on it like you do, but I don't really catch that at all on here. I mean, people here will shit all over artists but I don't really think anyone on here considers themselves a tastemaker for anywhere but the board. You come across as more and more bitter as time goes by.
if you say so. Its funny because I've been less and less posting anything as time has gone by. I lurk a lot and I watch the attitudes on here more then anything. Maybe I'm missing the jokes, I've never really been a sarcastic dude on here ever. Nothings change since the first day. I come to :phila: because their is generally intelligent rap discussion, whatever exclusives and a little bit of promotion. If you construe me speaking my mind as bitter, I dont know what to tell ya. If not always agreeing with opinions on here is being bitter, I dont know what to tell ya.

DLG

Post by DLG »

odium-LSC wrote:
Employee wrote:IthiKKKle is in his bedroom right now molding clay figurines of Drake, Lupe Fiasco and Jay Electronica into a wonderfully erotic Transformer.

The kiln is burning.

POTW

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

The kiln is burning.