DJ Shadow: RAMBLING TIRADE FROM A 37-YEAR OLD

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Brougham33

DJ Shadow: RAMBLING TIRADE FROM A 37-YEAR OLD

Post by Brougham33 »

Interesting read:

http://www.djshadow.com/news/shadows-st ... entry-here
Shadow's starting the New Year off with a bang!
Posted Jan 4, 2010
WARNING: RAMBLING TIRADE FROM A 37-YEAR OLD TECHNOPHOBE BELOW

Well, here we are again, another year, another decade. Optimism about the future is tempered with a nagging sense that underlying factors causing most of the misery in the world still exist. Lucky, then, that Iג€™m a musician and not a politician.

Specifically, when it comes to the wallet, everyoneג€™s sufferingג€¦of that there can be no doubt. And what of the financial prospects for musicians and recording artists in the years to come? Shaky, at best. Unless youג€™re one of the grotesque ג€˜Idolג€™-type pop disasters in the top 5, youג€™re looking at getting a day job or finding other sources of income. Conventional wisdom amongst my peers has been remarkably short-sided over the last decade: ג€œYeah, CD sales are down, but all the money is in licensing.ג€ Not anymore. ג€œYeah, licensing money is down, but the video game industry is killing it.ג€ Less so these days, according to recent data. ג€œWell, the real money is in touring.ג€ Really? When was the last time you saw a ג€˜new,ג€™ post-record company artist headline a major music festival? At this rate, weג€™ll be stuck with Coldplay for decades (no offense intended).

Time for a little straight talk, from one reasonably intelligent human being to YOU, the reasonably intelligent reader. As distasteful as it may sound, the fact is that so many of our heroes: Jimi Hendrix, John Coltrane, The Beatles, whoever you care to name; generated much of their best art in return for financial compensation. If you take away the compensation, guess whatג€¦the art stops. For example, how many young rap artists are grinding away these days in New York, trying to get a deal? Not too many, certainly compared to the ג€˜80s and ג€˜90s. Thereג€™s no allure, no pot at the end of the rainbow. People have been asking for years now, ג€œWhereג€™s the next Nas, the next Jay-Z?ג€ Be prepared to keep waitingג€¦and for music, overall, to keep sucking. Why? Because only bottom-of-the-barrel, embarrassing pop tripe generates enough income to feed the machine. Anything unproven or risky? Nobodyג€™s going to bankroll that kind of ג€˜experiment.ג€™

Let me be clear: I love music. I love the culture of music, making music, playing music, geeking out over music from the past and present. I love old record company stories, and the characters that inhabited it. In other words, I have learned to appreciate the merchants of commerce as well as the art. If you love movies or cars, chances are you can relate to what Iג€™m describing. What would Hollywood be without the larger-than-life, audacious personalities behind the scenes? What would cars be like if there had never been Detroit?

Gone are the recording studios (including the historically important Plant down the road from me in Sausalito), the record shops, and the music magazines. Replaced by the oh-so-cynical, oh-so-corrosive AM talk radio of the new millennium, the Internet. But Iג€™m not telling you anything you donג€™t already know. Chances are, you may have even been one of those majority who danced on the grave of the falling record companies, pointed to Radiohead giving their album away for free and said, ג€œSee, look, if they can do it, why canג€™t everyone else?ג€ Slowly, I turnג€¦

Every artist is entitled to their own price point, just as every consumer has a choice in what they purchase. Nobody puts a gun to someoneג€™s head and says, ג€œHey, buy this Picasso for 20 million.ג€ Likewise, if $9.99 is too much to spend for one of my albums, so be it, your choice. But if youג€™re holding your breath, waiting for me to boost my cool-quotient by giving my music away for free, itג€™s not going to happen. The fact is that I feel my music has value. You may disagree, and thatג€™s fine. But I know how much energy I put into what I do, and how long it takes me to make something Iג€™m satisfied with. Giving that away just feels wrong to me. Itג€™s not about money per se; I can donate a large sum of money to charity and not think twice, but I wonג€™t give my art away. Iג€™d rather sell it to 100 people who value it as I do than give it away to 1000 who could care less. Thatג€™s MY choice.

I realize these are all unpopular subjects. Artists are never supposed to address their flock about such icky subjects as business and commerce. (By the way, and I hope it doesnג€™t sound disingenuous, but now would be a REALLY good time to express my undying THANKS for your support, which matters IMMENSELY in my ability to retain music as my primary endeavor. As a fan of others, I always used to wonder, ג€œdoes this artist or group really care about whether I buy their stuff or not? Do they care that I go to their show?ג€ YES, WE CARE!!!!! Now, more than ever). Most think that I should stop whining, grow up and embrace the Internet, become more active, tweet more, hype more, give more stuff away, etc, etc. Honestly, Iג€™ve triedג€¦and will keep trying. But the bottom line is that not every paradigm or system is right for everyone. Weג€™ve all been told for years that the Internet is our Savior; itג€™s cool, youthful, hip, the solution to every problem, and if you arenג€™t joining a new networking site on a weekly basis, youג€™re a social pariah. Sorryג€¦I just donג€™t feel that way. Iג€™m old enough to know that when 99% of the population is marching lockstep in one direction, sometimes itג€™s wise to break rank and go the other way. Plus, I simply donג€™t like sitting in front of a computer screen all day.

Iג€™m not saying that I donג€™t use the Internet on a regular basis; I do. And obviously Iג€™m very proud of this site and its ability to support itself through the store. Honestly, I just think a large portion of the dialogue and content available online is an utter shit fest: a Pandoraג€™s box of violence, neurosis, bad impulses, and bad intentions. It has become the ג€œSuper Horror Showג€ the Last Poets could never have dreamed of, like bad television on steroids and angel dust simultaneously. CL Smooth memorably called television ג€œa schismג€¦negative realism.ג€ And much like the TV of the ג€˜60s and ג€˜70s, you will NEVER hear or read anything negative about the Internet ON the Internet. Thereג€™s too much money to be made, by someone somewhere (and hey, why ruffle the feathers of the goose thatג€™s laying the golden egg, right?). 20 years from now, it will be interesting to see what hindsight reveals. I predict a flag on the time-line: when we moved closer to becoming a passionless, listless, hollowed-out society, one in which art and nature could no longer provide the psychological shock to the system required to endure another harrowing day of terror alerts and super-bugs. Music can only suggest sex and violenceג€¦the Internet provides both, full frontal and full strength, 24/7. Maximum dose.

Whateverג€¦what will be will be. As long as I breathe, Iג€™ll make music, love music, support music. I used to get in fights at school to defend my right to listen to rap, and Iג€™ll fight on against any institution or prevailing thinking that seeks to dictate to me how and when the music I make is to be disseminated. If thereג€™s 50 of you, or 100, or more out there willing to accept my right to choose, as I accept yours, then welcome aboardג€¦you are my fan base. The rest of you that donג€™t, and want me to play someone elseג€™s gameג€¦I wish you well. Letג€™s just leave the subject at that and call it what it is: a mutual misunderstanding.

Regardless, itג€™s going to be a hell of a year. I am working hard on new music, and hope to share some of it with you in the coming months (really!). Iג€™m fully aware that there are many former fans that insist my best work is behind me. Well, respectfully, I disagree. Itג€™s not easy walking the tightrope between artistic validity and financial solvency, but I stand behind all of the decisions I have made to date. What matters to me is that EVERYONE reading this knows that I take my career, my music, and my fans EXTREMELY SERIOUSLY. When I started in music 25 years ago, my mission was to provide an alternative, to expand the scope of choice available to music lovers like myself; and above all to demonstrate a willingness to go the extra mile and put the MAXIMUM EFFORT in EVERYTHING I DO, so that the bar continues to be raised, not lowered. Whether that manifests itself on stage, on record, or as a character in a video game, I honestly feel that I have given it my best, win or lose, and Iג€™m proud of that. I have to believe that your continued support is a vote of confidence, which I take great comfort in as I strive to create some of my best work to date.

I may not be the best looking dude out thereג€¦I may not be the most linked-in, the most prolific, the most successfulג€¦but Iג€™ll be god-damned if Iג€™m not up there with the most passionate. If you agree with what Iג€™m saying, that so much music weג€™re fed is utter GARBAGE that insults the intelligence, then no matter where youג€™re atג€¦the States, the UK, France, Japan, Canada, Australia, whereverג€¦weג€™re ALL outsiders, and we owe it to each other to band together and fight for something better. Personally, Iג€™m loving the challenge, and when the time is right, I look forward to reconnecting with all of you.

Until thenג€¦

DJ Shadow

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

fuck he has lost his mind.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I understand where he is coming from an agree with him on many of those points, however he is bitching about shit music when he himself gave us

And it dropped when it was a different music climate. It came out on Universal records too.

Fact is he hasn't given us anything remotely close to Endtroducing and that came out in 1996. NINETEEN NINETY SIX!

Dude should just be happy he was apart of great things and just do Hollywood posh parties like that one ugly dude from Jurassic 5.

step one

Post by step one »

AWAE wrote:fuck he has lost his mind.
not really.

me makes music and wants some money for his efforts.
he isnt keen on the internet.

I'd like to see just do a straight 'Soul Survivor' type Hip Hop album with some guest MCs but that wont ever happen.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

step one wrote:he isnt keen on the internet.
Is that why he used the internet as a platform to gripe about the internet?

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

I think he's right about everything.

True King

Post by True King »

didnt this guy release some god awful Hyphy album like 3 years ago???

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

True King wrote:didnt this guy release some god awful Hyphy album like 3 years ago???
That's the album I posted.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

I like his hyphy beats.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Nathan Blaze wrote:I think he's right about everything.

agreed.

dude hasn't lost his mind. if you think this is crazy talk, then please enlighten me as to what you perceive as the truth.

Shade Tree

Post by Shade Tree »

Hair of the Dog wrote:if you think this is crazy talk, then please enlighten me as to what you perceive as the truth.
Ass>tits>face.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

i don't agree or disagree with him.
everyone has their own perception on this shit, mostly based on their personal experiences.

but i am confused a little that it's coming from him, rather than someone less successful.

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

^ well who would care what anyone less successful has to say?

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

world wide web is triple 6 son. don't get caught in it.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

hellbound.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Nathan Blaze wrote:^ well who would care what anyone less successful has to say?
got your whole block sayin' true that.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

His rant is negated by the fact that he can tour for less than 1/3 of the year and not work for the next two.

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

I think he's on point
he's not speaking so much about how things effect him, moreso about how things effect the music/entertainment industry in general
and while he's not saying anything new, its good that its coming from someone who is successful because when it comes from someone who is closer to struggling it just gets disregarded as a sob story
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010
http://www.ifuckinghaterappers.com

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

He didn't make any money off of doing mixes for and being in DJ Hero?
"Anything posted/said by Drastik is false and should not be taken seriously."

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Every artist is entitled to their own price point, just as every consumer has a choice in what they purchase. Nobody puts a gun to someoneג€™s head and says, ג€œHey, buy this Picasso for 20 million.ג€ Likewise, if $9.99 is too much to spend for one of my albums, so be it, your choice. But if youג€™re holding your breath, waiting for me to boost my cool-quotient by giving my music away for free, itג€™s not going to happen. The fact is that I feel my music has value. You may disagree, and thatג€™s fine. But I know how much energy I put into what I do, and how long it takes me to make something Iג€™m satisfied with. Giving that away just feels wrong to me. Itג€™s not about money per se; I can donate a large sum of money to charity and not think twice, but I wonג€™t give my art away. Iג€™d rather sell it to 100 people who value it as I do than give it away to 1000 who could care less. Thatג€™s MY choice.

I'm guilty as fuck for this. I blame myself for destroying the passion I had for music, not as an artist, as a fan. He's absolutely right about this, I may hear a song I love, but I cannot bring myself to buy it, knowing I can proabably d/l for free. And thats the problem. Maybe a few years down the road if it holds some nostalgic value, I may buy it, until that time comes I have no interest in buying music or really giving a shit about another hack handing his shit out for free. The keyword is 'value' and value is definitely not something I place on music I download no matter how much I enjoy it, if I even get around to listening to it, I'll probably grow tired of it in a short period of time and it will lose all replay value. Music doesnt illicit the same feeling in me as it used to, I used to use it as a tool, to motivate me and improve my spirits. It no longer works what way, now I find myself listening to audio books in the car because I find that even though I downloaded it for free, I can still gain something out of it. Music has lost all of its value.

JustDuWitt

Post by JustDuWitt »

Endtroducing is a dopeski.. some others are decent. That hyphy one is terrible.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I thought the hyphy stuff on the last album was better than the attempts at regular shadow stuff.

End... is still a classic though.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

in retrospect.. i think i appreciate 'brain freeze' more than anything else shadow released

i like the debut & 'private press' both tho. and 3 freaks & the song with the federation were both fresh.. i can't really remember the rest of that record

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

ackbar wrote:in retrospect.. i think i appreciate 'brain freeze' more than anything else shadow released

i like the debut & 'private press' both tho. and 3 freaks & the song with the federation were both fresh.. i can't really remember the rest of that record
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zwhn6bVaWI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8zwhn6bVaWI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

AND

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/1484609">DJ Shadow - This Time</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/myk31">Myk Dawg</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

you're actually completely right. that banner cut was the best thing to come off of that project by far..

duhbreez

Post by duhbreez »

dat david banner track actually made me a fan

step one

Post by step one »

Employee wrote:
yes. its a bit like how your parents werent keen on the idea of a retarded baby but decided to keep you anyway.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

KritiKal

Post by KritiKal »

This is basically the same cookie cutter rant with every artist. When radio came around we looked at paintings less. When TV came around we listened to radio less. Entertainment is the same, content delivery changes.

Complaining isn't adapting. Leave dusty basement filled with shitty vinyl and clickity click your mouse until you have more money.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

step one wrote:
Employee wrote:
yes. its a bit like how your parents werent keen on the idea of a retarded baby but decided to keep you anyway.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

KritiKal wrote:This is basically the same cookie cutter rant with every artist. When radio came around we looked at paintings less. When TV came around we listened to radio less. Entertainment is the same, content delivery changes.
Those things all made money for the artists, songs downloaded illegally from the internet do not.

Also people have not started listening to music less, they just no longer pay for it very often.

That said, I am aware that nobody cares and it is not going to change for the better, so carry on.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.