Timlaska's Top Ten-est Albums - Number 1 (New-3/18)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ALASKA

Timlaska's Top Ten-est Albums - Number 1 (New-3/18)

Post by ALASKA »

Last edited by ALASKA on Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

and let the hate begin...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i'll begin...
Good guidelines.
I wish i agreed with you about the kanye album, but i don't. it's ok. it's got some phenomenal moments but way too many completely gay moments to merit a nod as a top ten hip hop album of all time. ALL TIME?!?! The native tongues crew alone have almost ten better albums under their belt.
also, his first album >>>>>>
but that's just me bro!
At least we can both agree that tupac was bullshit.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead wrote:i'll begin...
Good guidelines.
I wish i agreed with you about the kanye album, but i don't. it's ok. it's got some phenomenal moments but way too many completely gay moments to merit a nod as a top ten hip hop album of all time. ALL TIME?!?! The native tongues crew alone have almost ten better albums under their belt.
also, his first album >>>>>>
but that's just me bro!
At least we can both agree that tupac was bullshit.
two native tongue albums made the list. when i went back and listened to a lot of the native tongue shit that i remembered being great, more than half the albums sounded dated.

this is obviously a subjective list, but i think my number one should be universely accepted as the greatest rap record ever.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

ALASKA wrote: this is obviously a subjective list, but i think my number one should be universely accepted as the greatest rap record ever.
of course. I'm gonna assume #1 is the OGC album "da storm", right? it's pretty undeniable.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead wrote:
ALASKA wrote: this is obviously a subjective list, but i think my number one should be universely accepted as the greatest rap record ever.
of course. I'm gonna assume #1 is the OGC album "da storm", right? it's pretty undeniable.
nope mase's sophmore effort

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

I liked your breakdown of why Kanye works as a rapper. I've always seen him as an amazing producer who can sorta rhyme well but he is more creative and covers more diverse topics (although often times this leads him towards corniness) than any other popular rapper. He is probably the best in hip hop when it comes to making catchy, addictive shit time and time again.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'll continue...

Great guidelines and a pretty good explanation of your reasoning. Almost persuasive too.

I never got past Kanye as being an extremely average rapper signed to the biggest label at the time with the biggest co-sign at the time and who just happened to be the greatest producer at the time. It's like D-Dot and his Madd Rapper album but being on Bad Boy and it coming out in '97. Well maybe not exactly but you get what I'm saying.

Kanye is arrogant, charismatic and witty. All important ingredients in a rapper but Kanye production has always been the start of Kanye albums. The debut had some really memorable guest spots but its biggest asset were the outstanding hooks each song had. I think he is a great entertainer who makes some really great tracks but also makes some less than memorable tracks too.

Do you still listen to "Heard 'Em Say" or "Bring Me Down?" How about the more commercial shit? Are you still pumping "Gold Digger" or "Touch The Sky" or even "Diamonds From Sierra Leone?" If not then this album doesn't meet your criteria.

Lastly, while I COMPLETELY understand the 2Pac hate, trust me I do, "Me Against The World" is a phenomenal album and IMHO better than any Kanye West album to date. The problem is those that never listened to that album before 2Pac became 2Pac missed out. His whole shit since signing to Death Row really tainted his earlier work. And by no means was he a great lyricist, but he was a good enough rapper (then) and sometimes being good enough is all that matters.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

the only songs i dont listen to are gold digger and hey mama.

as for pac, you cant tell me that his album doesnt sound horribly dated now, even if it was considered good at the time. so was faith no more's epic, but its dated as fuck.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

ALASKA wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
nope mase's sophmore effort
I thought it was going to be Makaveli.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ALASKA wrote:the only songs i dont listen to are gold digger and hey mama.

as for pac, you cant tell me that his album doesnt sound horribly dated now, even if it was considered good at the time. so was faith no more's epic, but its dated as fuck.
Dated in being that it was made in 1995, 15 years ago. In all fairness, Kanye's album is more relevant because its only 5 years old. Add 10 more years to it and in 2010 will you still be rocking Crack Music or Drive Slow? Maybe Gold Digger but the follow-up track will be Bust A Move or U Can't Touch This and you know it!

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

thats why i moved it to number 10. because of the time, it might change in 2020. who knows. there are albums on this list that are over 20 years old and still arent dated.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ALASKA wrote:thats why i moved it to number 10. because of the time, it might change in 2020. who knows. there are albums on this list that are over 20 years old and still arent dated.
Everything becomes dated. It's a natural progression but the question is if the music is still as enjoyable or listenable today.

These are dated but forever fresh. Not 10 years ago, not today and not ever will they ever stop being fresh.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Including Kanye in this list after declaring such excruciatingly anal retentive criteria = massive fail.

I still enjoy the writing and look forward to the rest of the series. But you know you done fucked up on this pick, right?

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Philaflava wrote:
ALASKA wrote:thats why i moved it to number 10. because of the time, it might change in 2020. who knows. there are albums on this list that are over 20 years old and still arent dated.
Everything becomes dated. It's a natural progression but the question is if the music is still as enjoyable or listenable today.

These are dated but forever fresh. Not 10 years ago, not today and not ever will they ever stop being fresh.

of course i does, but even in the heyday of pack there was a gang of filler on his records. and there is a difference between dated but still good and dated and unlistenable. a lot of the 90s west coast shit is just unlistenable to me these days. on top of that those jordans are top 3 or 4 sneakers of alltime, pac never was.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Thun wrote:Including Kanye in this list after declaring such excruciatingly anal retentive criteria = massive fail.

I still enjoy the writing and look forward to the rest of the series. But you know you done fucked up on this pick, right?
i know this was the most contriversial entry on the list outside of maybe the placement of one other record, but i stand by it.

Thun

Post by Thun »

ALASKA wrote:
Thun wrote:Including Kanye in this list after declaring such excruciatingly anal retentive criteria = massive fail.

i know this was the most contriversial entry on the list outside of maybe the placement of one other record, but i stand by it.
I really hope that you picked the right Gangstarr album.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Thun wrote:
ALASKA wrote:

full clip?

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I be bumping drive slow when I'm 70 headed to church in my 68 lincoln...

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

this was kind of my thought as well. I laughed after reading all the criteria and then seeing a Kanye Album...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
ALASKA wrote:

You could make a solid argument for at least 2 GS albums.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Moment of Truth would be my choice, but that's why I don't make lists like this....

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Trademark wrote:Moment of Truth would be my choice, but that's why I don't make lists like this....
thats definitely not one of the two. might not even be one of the three.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Trademark wrote:Moment of Truth would be my choice, but that's why I don't make lists like this....
dude...come on.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Trademark wrote: but that's why I don't make lists like this....

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

lol at kanye but ready to die isn't 'transcendent' enough...

did u make this list on ecstasy?

smh

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

so which Outkast album are you putting on here?

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

AWAE wrote:lol at kanye but ready to die isn't 'transcendent' enough...

did u make this list on ecstasy?

smh
you make shitty remixes (fail), your name is a weapon against evil (fail), you have a picture of bruce lee as your sig(fail) and you are from canada(fail)

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

catfish hunter wrote:so which Outkast album are you putting on here?
the one that matters

Dids

Post by Dids »

I assume it's Jon Brion who is to blame for fagging up Hey Mama to such a degree. The leaked versions of that song >>>>>>>>>>>> what ended up on the album. I think all of Late Registration is equally over produced.

College Dropout is a much better, much more organic, honest, album. Don't understand this choice at all.

Both are much worse records than Ready to Die, which it seems you're clearly excluding, which is weird.

I also don't understand excluding pre 1998 content. 'Cause like, that's when all the great records were released.