The Dungeon Family Story (Must Read)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Magneto

The Dungeon Family Story (Must Read)

Post by Magneto »

http://www.vibe.com/content/am-i-my-bro ... y-part-one

http://www.vibe.com/content/am-i-my-bro ... y-part-two

Talk about Rico Wade how he created the Dungeon Family, how all the relationships got strained. Drugs and Money. SMH.

Andre and Big Boi talk about their relationship aint the same based off various things.

Great great article...
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

horribly written and spread out over 20 slow loading pages, but not a bad read.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I thought Vibe was over and done with?

Lid

Post by Lid »

smfh @ them signin old ass kila ali, and that nigga fuckin up the money. he's a damn booty shake artist

DaBonks

Post by DaBonks »

Cool article, but i got so depressed hearing Dre just lacking the drive and passion to make more 'Kast and touring.

I can't be mad at him, but he is just so fucking gifted. USE YOUR GIFT!

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Lid wrote:smfh @ them signin old ass kila ali, and that nigga fuckin up the money. he's a damn booty shake artist
between that and what happened with Sleepy Brown, i was shaking my head at all that shit.

i kinda :lol:'d at Rico and Big being like Dre was fuckin' up the money when they were approached about doing advertisements. lol @ that soy milk comment.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

service

Post by service »

This writing is so, so bad :lol:
Itג€™s easy to forget what the hip hop landscape looked like in ג€™94. Nas was Illmatic (Ill Will/Columbia), Biggie was Ready to Die (Bad Boy), 2Pac was on Thug Life Vol. 1 (Jive), and the Fugees were Blunted on Reality (Ruffhouse).
I mean god damn that is some middle school COMIX REVUE CORNER pun type of shit. I know music journalists are going the way of the dodo, but how on earth does this shit make it through editing? I don't even know if I can finish reading this.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

By the time OutKast recorded Idlewild, some sources suggest Big and Dre were turning on each other. The song ג€œMighty Oג€ was the last straw. ג€œThey were dissing each other on that,ג€ says Nikki. Though Ray Murray, who helped produce the track, declines to comment, Big and Dre vehemently deny any rivalry.
Ive listened to this song like a million times and I NEVER thought either verse was aimed at each other. Crazy talk.

Also, I was disappointed that PA wasnt mentioned much in the story.

That being said, good read. Thanks for posting this.

Lid

Post by Lid »

ardamus wrote:
Lid wrote:smfh @ them signin old ass kila ali, and that nigga fuckin up the money. he's a damn booty shake artist
between that and what happened with Sleepy Brown, i was shaking my head at all that shit.

i kinda :lol:'d at Rico and Big being like Dre was fuckin' up the money when they were approached about doing advertisements. lol @ that soy milk comment.
the sleepy shit was fucked up, but i slightly see why he did it, but still fucked up.

LOL @ the milk shit tho. i prolly woulda did what dre did

i actually got that kilo ali album, big bois verse on Love in ya mouth was piff

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Thun wrote:I thought Vibe was over and done with?
it's back. IN POG FORM!

nah just kidding, but it is back, as a quarterly.

this article is old though, months old. was one of the last big articles in the normal issue of Vibe.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: it's back. IN POG FORM!
:lol:

I slept on this article...trying to track down a print issue now.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Lid wrote:
ardamus wrote:

the sleepy shit was fucked up, but i slightly see why he did it, but still fucked up.

out of all the muthafuckas to sign....Kilo Ali. thats real random. what was the name of that album?

i remember when that Sleepy Brown album dropped. it didn't even get that much press at first. i can understand why he'd want to come out; dude was making a buzz in the game. i think the label that put out Vinyl Room could've blasted the album some more with marketing.

but i gotta give a :ohsh: at KP from Parental Advisory at being an SVP at Def Jam. i will always say that P.A. is one of the most underrated groups of all time and i definitely expected at least a 4th album from them.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ardamus wrote:but i gotta give a :ohsh: at KP from Parental Advisory at being an SVP at Def Jam. i will always say that P.A. is one of the most underrated groups of all time and i definitely expected at least a 4th album from them.
4th? Other than Ghetto Street Funk (I think thats the title) I didnt realize theyd had other records.

Again...I wouldve really like to have heard more about PA's story in that article.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... llscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

Great read.

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Easily one of my top 5.

Dre sounds like a man of principles. With so many BANs in this world, I can't really knock that. He got his shit together.

Kilo Ali maybe a fucked up individual, but he did give us this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbrRP1nAxmU&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FbrRP1nAxmU&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've you ever in the club when this shit comes on :gyeah:

This might be my first time listening to it sober.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Would really like painful things to happen to people who think that articles should be broken up into 2309423098 3 paragraph pages.

Kinda interesting, but the writing is just so lolbad.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Nom Inf wrote:Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lid

Post by Lid »

ardamus wrote:
Lid wrote:
ardamus wrote:

out of all the muthafuckas to sign....Kilo Ali. thats real random. what was the name of that album?

i remember when that Sleepy Brown album dropped. it didn't even get that much press at first. i can understand why he'd want to come out; dude was making a buzz in the game. i think the label that put out Vinyl Room could've blasted the album some more with marketing.

but i gotta give a :ohsh: at KP from Parental Advisory at being an SVP at Def Jam. i will always say that P.A. is one of the most underrated groups of all time and i definitely expected at least a 4th album from them.
Kilo Ali - Organized Bass. that sleepy brown album is dope.

smh @ this nigga fuckin up your label
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJRvYA7qT7g&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJRvYA7qT7g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

:rofl:

kilo ali is the reason we dont have a cool breeze album.

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

The Afronaut wrote:4th? Other than Ghetto Street Funk (I think thats the title) I didnt realize theyd had other records.

both are pretty great if you're into the dungeon sound.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

Lid wrote:
ardamus wrote:
Lid wrote:
ardamus wrote:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJRvYA7qT7g&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RJRvYA7qT7g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Nah. I know Coool personally. Coool Breeeze is the reason we don't have a Coool Breeze album.

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

But when his next record does drop he ain't wearin no shirt!

ANU

Post by ANU »

KP from parental advisory is pretty much the guy who discovered TI and he is yelawolf's manager.

rhickey

Post by rhickey »

Nom Inf wrote:
Lid wrote:
ardamus wrote:
Lid wrote:
ardamus wrote: between that and what happened with Sleepy Brown, i was shaking my head at all that shit.

Nah. I know Coool personally. Coool Breeeze is the reason we don't have a Coool Breeze album.
Care to elaborate? I really liked East Point's Greatest Hits

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

multsanta wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:4th? Other than Ghetto Street Funk (I think thats the title) I didnt realize theyd had other records.

Good lookin out.

Organized Noize production on both?

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Great read. Dungeon Family is one of my favorite rap crews of all time.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Nom Inf wrote:
:omar:

do tell.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

The Afronaut wrote:
multsanta wrote:

Good lookin out.

Organized Noize production on both?
No, PA handles most of it themselves. Similar vibe though.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

rhickey wrote:
Care to elaborate? I really liked East Point's Greatest Hits
I mean he still raps occaisionally from what I know. Does a couple shows here and there. This game changed a lot over the past several years. Rappers were used to dealing with a budget. Some people have the desire to do it themselves, others want somebody else to get the ball rolling. It aint no True Hollywood Stories type of shit. Let's just say he's not the most prolific of mc's.

If you go to http://myspace.com/wesgreen you can hear one of the few verses he has done over the years. He's the first verse on the cool remix. It's on a compilation by Wes Green (a producer here in Atlanta).

If you want to download the whole project click http://dropbombz.com/mp3s/Wes%20Green%2 ... ic%202.zip

It's got cats like Ya Ya of the Outsidaz, Punchline, Jae Ellis. Lots of talent on there.

If you download it, make sure you check out the joints by the Wheeler Boys(A pair of white brothers from Atlanta). Pretty dope.

zygmontone

Post by zygmontone »

interesting content, crappy format, thanks a lot for posting this

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

thanks for posting this. i think quincy helped get some funding to bring back vibe. it's not any different than before.