Big L: rest in peace

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Big L: rest in peace

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

http://gasface.wordpress.com/2010/02/15/biglmurder/

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shoc ... n=10,0,0,0" id="playerArte" allowScriptAccess="always" width="450" height="255" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="quality" value="high"><param name="movie" value="http://arte.vo.llnwd.net/o21/videoweb/f ... ue"><embed src="http://arte.vo.llnwd.net/o21/videoweb/f ... embed=true" width="450" height="255" allowFullScreen="true" name="playerArte" quality="high" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

11 years ago today, the world lost one of the best rappers of all time.

I never cried so much when an MC died. Was a real fan of Lamont Coleman since 'Lifestyles of the Poor and Dangerous'.

will never forget reading about his murder on www.hiphopsite.com and becoming absolutely heartbroken.

peace to Big L and DITC

one love
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

you know he's burning in hell for all that shit he said
srsly tho some of those joints they put on that posthumous cd make you think about the sophomore album he should have released
easily the most entertaining rapper to listen to
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

RIP

supnick

Post by supnick »

r.i.p.

spinning da graveyard right now

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Not to derail or anything, but I just spotted this over in the TROY forum...
TheBigSleep wrote:
Thun wrote:Mase still walks this earth.
Speaking of him, Ma$e claiming to have written all of Big L's "hot lines" or whatever he said is going to be heavily refuted by just about everybody in a section of the Big L documentary. Nobody is or has been on Ma$e's side in that argument, he's basically just being called a bitch and a liar and L's brother Don said that he personally would knock Ma$e out if he ever saw him anywhere in Harlem. It sounds like he might have to be watching out for people.
:naswtf: :wtf:

Did he really say this shit?

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

I'll go find exactly what he said, but yeah. And I'll post up some of the things L's brother Don has said as a response (Don was more than a little heated and was speaking a little differently off the record).

But people took that shit real personal (and he's mad dumb because there is proof that he's lyin', like L's rhyme books and other people who were there at the time who didn't really know Big L and who know Ma$e who were sayin' that that was just bullshit basically). Nobody sided with Ma$e, nobody. Like not even Ma$e's "friends". And at least a couple different people were making videos directed at Ma$e on some hey you better stay outta Harlem 'cause we'll find you type shit.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

TheBigSleep wrote:I'll go find exactly what he said, but yeah. And I'll post up some of the things L's brother Don has said as a response (Don was more than a little heated and was speaking a little differently off the record).

But people took that shit real personal (and he's mad dumb because there is proof that he's lyin', like L's rhyme books and other people who were there at the time who didn't really know Big L and who know Ma$e who were sayin' that that was just bullshit basically). Nobody sided with Ma$e, nobody. Like not even Ma$e's "friends". And at least a couple different people were making videos directed at Ma$e on some hey you better stay outta Harlem 'cause we'll find you type shit.
thats the final straw for Ma$e-n Betha. I used to feel sorry for him and talk about how he was a more witty MC than people thought... but now I don't give a fuck. :ghostface: can punch that motherfucker into the next life for all i care.

Ma$e wrote Big L's shit. :rofl: :roll: :ohsh: :larry:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ELBC

Post by ELBC »

R.I.P

How will i make it

so many classic songs

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

ג€œBig L brought me on the scene and I used to rhyme with himג€¦when they used to do records, God bless the dead, they would never put me on the records. But all of the hot lines he was saying and even in his grave I gotta tell this, those were my lines. I used to say those lines in the park and they would put them out in song.ג€ ~ Ma$e on Shade 45 in August of 2005

Hereג€™s one source: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.3467
After that Lord Finesse, Herb McGruff, Took Da Boss, Don Ice and a bunch of others basically said oh word? Come and say that to our faces you lying bitch. Nobody believes him at all (except maybe some kids on the internet) and a lot of Lג€™s friends and relatives are still really pissed that Ma$e would dare say / make up that shit.

Ma$e and Cam had their careers originally helped out and then later saved by Big L when they both wanted to quit and play basketball. And in interviews and in his songs L was constantly talking about how he didnג€™t respect artists who didnג€™t write their own rhymes and that he didnג€™t even consider those people real MCs. Plus L taught Herb McGruff to rhyme (something McGruff has personally told us) and was clearly ghostwriting for C-Town:

Check L's first verse on Flamboyant Freestyle Part III (the aptly nicknamed C-Town Tutorial available on the Tommy Gibbs Collection) versus C-Town's last verse on Still Here (available on The Archives compilation, the Unseen Picture bootleg or the Platinum Plus / Still Here 12" / VLS).
Big L (on Flamboyant Freestyle Part III C-Town Tutorial):

Yo I'm a young teen with dumb cream,
I refuse to be unheard or unseen, I shine like the sun beam.
All you niggas better come clean before my gun scream,
rap's a fun thing, only roll with one team:
Flamboyant Entertainment. That's who I came with.
I pack a nine and once I aim it, I gotta flame it.
Push a blue eight, got props from here to Kuwait.
The one your crew hate, hear me on the next Clue tape.
They call me C-Town, I snatch mics like a rebound,
pack a three pound, that's my prerog' like B. Brown.
I rip shows in large arenas, like the Garden in Meadowlands,
got nothin' but love for all my ghetto fans.
On one three nine and Lenox eyes get shut.
The Danger Zone, where guys get stuck.
Where all the pies get cut.
Try to front we gon' size you up.
Like Corleone'll grab the chrome and throw five in yo' gut, what?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JN5pd8xmoo8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JN5pd8xmoo8&hl ... fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

vs.

C-Town (on Still Here):

I be that young teen with dumb cream,
I refuse to be unheard or unseen, I shine like the sunbeam.
All you niggas better come clean before my gun scream,
rap's a fun thing, only roll with one team:
Flamboyant Entertainment. That's who I came with.
I pack a nine and once I aim it, I gotta flame it.
Push a blue eight, got props from here to Kuwait.
The one your crew hate, hear me on Big L new tape.
They call me C-Town, I snatch mics like a rebound,
pack a three pound, that's my prerog' like B. Brown.
I rip shows in large arenas like the Garden in Meadowlands,
got nothin' but love for all my ghetto fans.
On one three nine and Lenox eyes get shut.
The Danger Zone is where pies get cut.
Where all the guys get stuck.
Try to front we gon' size you up.
Like Corleone'll grab the chrome and throw five in yo' gut.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBFoJhRgcuY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uBFoJhRgcuY&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
What ghostwriters need ghostwriters? All this shit is ridiculous to me, especially when I see people who obviously donג€™t know the history siding with Ma$e online.

These are from our exclusive Q&A sessions with Don (and Tommy / Jewlz, the director of Street Struck), both on my site or on BigLOnline:
How do you feel about Ma$e? Him claiming to have written some of L's lyrics, even saying L stole some of his lines?

ג€œMa$e is a bitch and a liar! He could never be on the same level as my little brother. That's why he used to come around the block and dickride Big L! (And the block I'm talking about is 139th & Lenox.) And dickride means wanting to be around us all the time! Because we was the streets and we were serious about them streets! How do I feel about Ma$e? Fuck Ma$e! And when I do see him, I am going to slap the shit out of him, like the bitch he is! Believe that!ג€ ~ Donald ג€œDon Iceג€ Phinazee
Words were a little more violent than slap before he spoke on Ma$e publicly. What he is really saying is he will Ghostface Ma$eג€™s jaw over this. If you are going to disrespect Big L, randomly and unprovoked, years after he's dead, after you were "friends" and everything L did for you and your career, if you make up bullshit and have no facts, proof or evidence to back it up, make sure it doesn't get back to Don, especially if you ever plan on frequenting Harlem again you dumb motherfucker. That's the message I got from this.
Did you ever witness Big L battle? If yes, how was he? Could you tell a story or something about him battling?

ג€œOne time we were in the park, I was doing what I do, working out on the bar. My other brother came into the park. When he seen me, we got to talking and then he started on his bar (doing pull-ups thatג€™s what the bar means). Okay so now itג€™s us two on the bar, Big L comes into the park when he sees me and Big Lee working out. Ma$e pulls up not long after that and brings like four niggas into the park behind him. Now back then we didnג€™t let anybody come in the park (The Danger Zone). So Iג€™m looking at this fool like "Yo, whatג€™s up?", Ma$e looks at me and says ג€œYo, whatג€™s up Don.ג€ so I go ג€œYo, who are these dudes you got with you?ג€ He said ג€œThese niggas are with me.ג€ So I look at them and Lee and I go back to the bar. Now Lee, Ma$e and I and these four dudes are in the park with us, Herb McGruff and Took Da Boss come in too. Gruff starts rollinג€™ up a blunt and they start smoking: him, Ma$e, Took Da Boss and the four dudes, I didnג€™t smoke, so now Big L start joking on these dudes, then they start rhyming. Big L took out Ma$e and the four dudes that was with him, so Ma$e got a little mad and started dissinג€™ the four dudes he was with and I started dissinג€™ Ma$e. Short after that, I just ran him out the park! That nigga is a homo for real yo!ג€ ~ Donald ג€œDon Iceג€ Phinazee
Obviously Don has somewhat of a personal hindsight bias (and rightfully so) but I donג€™t exactly doubt what heג€™s saying.

And Don got really into weight lifting when he first got locked up.

Don in 2004:

Don in 2006:

That's part of why I said Ma$e might be lookin' over his shoulder some if he's back in New York recordin' music. Nobody forgets, those comments from Don are pretty recent and it sounds like he's still mad heated and not gonna be coolin' down anytime soon.

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The Aluminum Falcon wrote:RIP

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

rip

one of my favorite ever

LilDonAKA

Post by LilDonAKA »

forgot about big L in that lyrical songs that are actually good thread!!!!! i remember when I first heard big l, I was like why didnt I know this existed... I knew who D4L was before I knew who he was thats sad

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

very few new millenium NYC MCs are doing better street hop than what Big L did in the 90's.

one of the best of all time in rap music history.

supnick

Post by supnick »

if my dude don gets ahold of murda ma$e video/pics are a must

Texas Raised Mikey

Post by Texas Raised Mikey »

R.I.P.

I am not a huge east coast rap fan but Big L is the shit. I remember hearing about it. That sucked. People will get what they deserve.

This thread was very informative. Peace to Big Sleep and every one else who contributed. I learned something this morning.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Thanks man. L's brother Don was just on the radio with DJ Premier and said that he'd "slap the shit" outta Ma$e and that what Ma$e said about writing any of L's lines was "some faggot shit". So I guess that feud is still brewin' years later.

Texas Raised Mikey

Mase is and always will be a fag. Anyone with functioning testicals knows that.

Texas Raised Mikey

Jesus cant save him from the street. :lol:

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

Magneto where you at? I know you got a story on this..

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Mase is full of shit. He aint write nothing for nobody. Shit, Jay-Z wrote half of Mase's fucking debut album.

Don't get me wrong, Mase was a dope rapper back during the COC days, but he never penned anything for Big L. Nothing. And that's from every single person that was there with them. I think it's a pretty absurd statement to make.

Big L taught all them niggas (Mase, Cam'ron, etc...) how to rap.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Texas Raised Mikey

Magneto wrote: Big L taught all them niggas (Mase, Cam'ron, etc...) how to rap.
Now you going to get me mad at a dead man :lol:

Fury's Flavour

Post by Fury's Flavour »