2%
Boogie Down Productions
1%

Total votes: 149

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Pound For Pound The Best Hip-Hop Group of All-Time

Post by Philaflava »

Dinosaurs and new jacks step-up! This might be a played out topic but I'm listing all the worthy candidates. Let's see what the :phila: picks as the answer in 2010.

If you need to study up and get reacquainted then please do so. But if this thread is going to be successful then you must be honest.

In addition to your voting PLEASE provide your answer.

P.S. If the group you would have selected is not on the list then chances are you are a faggot who has no business being on this site or just a :bork: I don't want to hear anyone cry because Co Flow isn't on the list. Let's get real you pussies. We are talking about all-time. If you're young, white and wack then maybe you should just proceed to the next thread.

Sure there are many great groups like Ultramag, Brand Nubian, M.O.P., The Beatnuts, Alkaholiks, Eightball & MJG, Digital Underground and UGK but in your heart of hearts do you honestly think they're the G.O.A.T. or even stood a chance to win? No. So stop being a smug prick and just make your vote count.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Out of this group, Tribe. Their musical impact, influence, legacy, etc. is larger than the rest combined, including Public Enemy. Their ascent represents a significant turning point in the evolution of production and recording, not to mention style and presentation.

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

:wutang:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

:wutang: is actually the best IDEA ever created in hip hop history, better than even the best group. A 9-man kung-fu inspired crew of Voltron-like geniuses is probably the illest fucking musical idea in the last 100 years, all genres. I don't even really compare them to other groups, cause only N.W.A. and Public Enemy come close to creating such revolutionary things with their entrance into hip hop history, but those guys are not Wu-Tang, as much as I love them and all they have done.

but on a regular level, I'd say A Tribe Called Quest is the best rap group ever. De La Soul is waaay up there too and I love them like few others, but they were too intentionally cryptic to secure a fanbase and a spot on a level higher than the peaks they reached, which were glorious still.

special shout out to Outkast, the greatest duo of all time, and peace to the Geto Boys, the most unbelievable yet real-ass gangsta rap group of all time.

EPMD also is awesome.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I understand people will vote :wutang: but are you picking for a specific reason? Catalog or influence? Because this isn't a vote for your favorite poll.

Was Wu-Tang more influential than any other group mentioned? Do they have more hits or a better overall catalog than all the groups mentioned?

step one

Post by step one »

Made music with substance (remember that? )and influenced genres outside of Hip Hop. Created a sound that was universally respected but never succesfully imitated.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Dmista

Post by Dmista »

:wutang: u-Tang because of the longevity the music has had and the brilliance of some of the projects from the MCs in the whole camp.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Voted 'Kast... mostly classic or close-to classic albums, and probably the only of the bunch that could still do it if they connected again.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I think age will be the biggest factor in people's decisions here.

The era I grew up in radically narrows down the field. My decision's based on albums I listened to the most, which makes it between ATCQ and De La. BDP and PE also made this a difficult decision, and if I were a couple years older it'd surely be one of them. The Roots deserve their credit too.

So I went with De La. Why? Because I believe their impact is as profound as Tribe's, with a couple areas in which they innovated that ATCQ did not. The comedy skits (a double edged sword I know, can't stand most "funny" skits on records now), and in the technical field. Although you could argue that ATCQ, especially with Low End Theory, went further out there sonically, lyrically, Pos and Mase blow Q Tip and Phife away.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Pound for pound Outkast is the best group ever. Top 5 lyricist in Dre 3000, underrated emcee in Big Boi and a excellent catalog. Aquemini is a top 5 album alltime. Influence, longevity, and consistancy, no other group did it like Kast.

Yes

Post by Yes »

You can simply count the classics, its the Wu easily. Outkast fell off and got really gay in the last 5-7 years.

The Roots, Gang Starr, Tribe, Geto Boys > Outkast

And escobar, your top 5 sounds really shitty.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

A Tribe Called Quest

although i prefer wu-tang/de la soul & nwa/mobb deep/outkast are all pretty close behind. like smitty said.. age plays a factor. if i was 5-10 years older i might've voted pe/bdp

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:Pound for pound Outkast is the best group ever. Top 5 lyricist in Dre 3000, underrated emcee in Big Boi and a excellent catalog. Aquemini is a top 5 album alltime. Influence, longevity, and consistancy, no other group did it like Kast.
you could say the same about the other groups in the poll.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Yes wrote:You can simply count the classics, its the Wu easily. Outkast fell off and got really gay in the last 5-7 years.

The Roots, Gang Starr, Tribe, Geto Boys > Outkast

And escobar, your top 5 sounds really shitty.
Wutang as a group doesn't have as many classics as Outkast. I'd say Kast has 2 or 3 classics, Wutang (as a group) only 1.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

step one wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:Pound for pound Outkast is the best group ever. Top 5 lyricist in Dre 3000, underrated emcee in Big Boi and a excellent catalog. Aquemini is a top 5 album alltime. Influence, longevity, and consistancy, no other group did it like Kast.
Who else has that combo of influence, consistency, and longevity like Outkast?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

De La Soul - A very good argument could be made for them because while their albums of late haven't been favorable neither Pos or Dove have lost their ability to rip a fucking track to shreds. They're one of the most innovative groups we've seen. Their catalog is impressive and so is their longevity.

P.E. - Hands down one of the most important groups of all-time, not just in hip-hop. They peaked in the early late 80s - early 90's and after Fear of A Black Planet they started to rapidly decline. Top 5 group but not the best ever.

Gang Starr - The best producer of all-time and a top 30ish MC. Catalogs are sick but one really outweighs the other. With groups like PE you had lyrics with masterful production.

A Tribe Called Quest - For reasons similar to Thun. To put it bluntly they've made the most enjoyable music that I STILL can listen to. They spawned a whole new generation with the help of NTs and have 3 albums that are either classic or near classic.

OutKast - With each passing year they creep closer and closer to the top spot. But I refuse to live current and despite how many great albums they've had and how influential they've been for Southern hip-hop (not sure that's a good thing), in my heart I know they were not as important to the culture, the music and to me as P.E. or ATCQ. Top 3, maybe 4 if I want to lump De La in the mix.

NWA - Short lived career as a group. Powerful but they lost their star player when Cube went solo. Still 2 very good albums. I actually prefer Niggaz4Life more but without Cube they didn't have much life left. It's like Fashion leaving The Beatnuts.

RUN-DMC - No. Fuck nostalgia. They had hits and made it possible for many groups to have careers but just no.

Wu-Tang Clan - Two albums and the rest underwhelming to Wu standards. You cannot include their solo work in this. It has zero to do with the poll or the group. Wu Tang as a group were great but they peaked early and never found the magic again.

EPMD - This is a cool vote. You are cool is you vote them but they are not answer. They were a slightly edger version of De La Soul without the brains. Both MC's were just adequate.

Mobb Deep - Of all-time? LOL.

The Roots - Philly bias and all, no. They are probably going to be the longest lasting group in hip-hop and they're extremely talented but they aren't nearly as important as the others listed.

Boogie Down Production - One great album and the rest average with some great hits. KRS did better work when he BEP was done. Because of that I cannot consider BEP as the greatest group due.
Last edited by Philaflava on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Mentioning pound for pound automatically eliminates wu-tang. Too many pounds.

voted outkast

Yes

Post by Yes »

I disagree with not allowing the solo work with Wu Tang, pretty much every album in their classic time period (93-97) had several if not all the members on the album. Most of the best songs on the solo albums were basically group songs: Winter Warz, 4th Chamber, Gullotines, Criminology, Ice Cream etc

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Philaflava wrote:Wu-Tang Clan - You cannot include their solo work in this. It has zero to do with the poll or the group.
That wasn't in the original post, and also it's not true. Especially the earlier solo albums were essential to the Wu-Tang legacy. And even today when a Wu-Tang member drops an ill album, it's another win for the :wutang: and it's always gonna be like that.

Edit: Yes beat me to it.
Last edited by The Frankest on Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:
step one wrote:
yeah, you're right. everyone stop voting and lock the thread. the winner has been decided :roll:

i'd say Outkast (and poss Wu) are the only acts in the poll that have been influenced by other acts in the poll.

People need to remember that NWA, Run DMC, De La and PE did alot as far as getting people into Hip Hop and even influenced artists outside the genre.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

N.W.A.

just the groups name alone and what they were talking about in their lyrics changed everything. I'm not saying nobody was doing something similar before them or that they raised the bar musically it just seemed as though hip hop as a whole changed when they started making some noise. I enjoy listening to some of the other groups listed more so than N.W.A. but no way did they have more of a "impact" for better or worse.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

step one wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:
step one wrote:
yeah, you're right. everyone stop voting and lock the thread. the winner has been decided :roll:

i'd say Outkast (and poss Wu) are the only acts in the poll that have been influenced by other acts in the poll.

People need to remember that NWA, Run DMC, De La and PE did alot as far as getting people into Hip Hop and even influenced artists outside the genre.
Thats only one aspect your talking about. Longevity, consistency, AND influence, no one else matches Outkast's combination of those aspects.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

tribe has 4 albums you can throw on any time and listen to all the way through
midnight marauders and low end theory are the number 1 & number 2 greatest cds of all time
peoples... has such a fun vibe. great beats. 'youthful expression' might have my fav beat of all time.
tip and phife are great lyricists imo. they don't have to put crazy syllables in to make something that comes off, sounds good, and actually has a point/ content to it. not the type of thing 'lyricist' calls to mind when talking about hip hop, but that term is as grossly misused as metaphor.
they should reissue beats rhymes & life with consequences verses cut.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

btw why is bdp on the list? might as well have eric b & rakim on there.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Escobar305 wrote:Who else has that combo of influence, consistency, and longevity like Outkast?

Vs.

both groups had around a 10 year run. they're all still making music.. but not much of note together as a group outside of these records

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:
step one wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:
step one wrote:

Thats only one aspect your talking about. Longevity, consistency, AND influence, no one else matches Outkast's combination of those aspects.
De La and ATCQ have easily influenced more artists than Outkast (including Outkast themselves).

The Wu have been around since 92 and are still releasing music people are interested in now. Thats 18 years. Outkast debuted in 94 and had a good run but havent dropped an album in years.

I dont really think consistency applies when 'important' is being debated. There isnt a rapper alive that hasnt fallen off or dropped a brick or 2 at some point.

Now shut the fuck up and come back when you're old enough to drive.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

ackbar wrote:both groups had around a 10 year run. they're all still making music.. but not much of note together as a group outside of these records
atcq's was 9-10 years and outkast's was 12-3 and they both have 6 album releases. (of course one of those tribe records is a compilation.. but on the other hand one of the 'kast albums isn't really even a group album)

the catalogs are pretty evenly consistent in comparison. atcq has been much much more influential

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

step one wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:
De La and ATCQ have easily influenced more artists than Outkast (including Outkast themselves).

The Wu have been around since 92 and are still releasing music people are interested in now. Thats 18 years. Outkast debuted in 94 and had a good run but havent dropped an album in years.

I dont really think consistency applies when 'important' is being debated. There isnt a rapper alive that hasnt fallen off or dropped a brick or 2 at some point.

Now shut the fuck up and come back when you're old enough to drive.
:naswtf: when did consistency not apply to being the best? Outkast is at the top of or near the top in each of those aspects.

Also Outkast took more chances and covered more ground than the majority of the groups on the list which should be commended.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

If Wu's solos don't count then the only reasonable answer is ATCQ

Req

Post by Req »

F.U. MOOLAH