I just might need a microphone

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Stoop Kid

I just might need a microphone

Post by Stoop Kid »

So I'm gonna be heading to southern california for a while which is gonna make it very hard to get in the studio. I might as well just get my own microphone which would also allow me to work on my own time. I want it to be good and I know nothing about it.

Price is an issue but I might be willing to spring for something dope.

I don't even know what tiers and price ranges there are so I would like to know some basics before someone posts "The Sony Marque PP69 Featherweight Edition is great for the price".

Quality Control

Post by Quality Control »

Well it all depends. There's cheap and there's expensive...You can never go wrong with a good old Shure Sm 57 or 58..Great mics for both vocals and instruments...If you going for a booth type mic...there's both LDC's(Large Diaphram Condensor's) and Tube Mics. In the cheap but decent range id recommend anything from Audio Techniqa, Akg, Shure, Rhode, Blue etc.....there's Apex mics like thew 460 tube Condensor that will get the job done for around $300. What are you planning on recording into? Do you have a microphone preamp? cause that's another important part of recording vocals...depending on what your recording into....just do some google searches man....there's literally thousands of mics out there from so many different companies...

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

AKG 220 perception
Rode NT1
ES 2200 Tube mic

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

if you're this clueless (no hate at all) about mics, i doubt you're going to be mixing your recording sessions down, so i'd say just get a shuresm58 (you can prolly find them on sale for 100 or less) and a cheap preamp and just record demos/scratch tracks on your own time, then link up with whomever does your mixing and whatnot to lay down the real thing. recording demos also helps you get verses down better, pick better syllable and breath placement, etc., so it sounds better when you lay down the real deal.

hope that helps.

cornsnake

Post by cornsnake »

like mac dre "not my job"
no specific mic info here
Prof - Figured Out prod by 84 and Dillon<embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... and-dillon" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object>

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

Yes i feel like mac dre in every way here.
I'm interested in knowing about different tiers of microphones and the price ranges. I want a good one obviously. more than 200 dollars.

We use pro tools and mix all our shit down. No instruments i will just be recording over beats. On my own I will prolly just record in logic cuz i dont wanna deal with all that protools key shit.

I've never contributed anything to the studio besides rapping so I'm entirely clueless.

rob1ne

Post by rob1ne »

Stoop Kid wrote:Yes i feel like mac dre in every way here.
I'm interested in knowing about different tiers of microphones and the price ranges. I want a good one obviously. more than 200 dollars.

We use pro tools and mix all our shit down. No instruments i will just be recording over beats. On my own I will prolly just record in logic cuz i dont wanna deal with all that protools key shit.

I've never contributed anything to the studio besides rapping so I'm entirely clueless.
first off if you want it to sound even semi-decent you are going to need an interface something to get the sound from your mic to your computer so you need more then just a mic.

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

Oh ya fuck. That thing.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

Shure sm7. Dope mic for raps. Needs a pre with a lot of gain. Maybe Universal Audio solo 610.

One of my homies used a sm58 and cool edit pro. He made his shit sound nice for a budget setup.

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

That guy from the Roots always uses a sm58..

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

ZiekeFons wrote:That guy from the Roots always uses a sm58..
I love the guy from Roots. I'll get that one.

But seriously, thanks Nom.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Have a Rode NTK and an AKG Perception 100. Never use the AKG anymore. Rode NTK has been great for a 500-dollar mic. Recently grabbed one of those Blue USB mics for portability. For 100 dollars, there's really nothing to gripe about.

Also, I don't know shit about anything, so my opinion can't be trusted. But it sounds good to me. My standards are pretty low. Yeah. End of story.

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

where is cenzi with his unlimited knowledge of the universe

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/au ... at2020_usb

$96 at amazon.
good looks. I was looking for a little more than that, but the price would be very responsible of me

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

the sm58 looks like a stage mic? is it legit? looks fine with a screen on it?

im all over craigslist right now, whats the diff between a preamp and a interface?>

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Technically yea, it's a stage mic, bu tons of people use them to track vocals. Blueprint, for example.

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

i dunno i dont like the way it looks im tryna get something cool looking as well

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

Stoop Kid wrote:i dunno i dont like the way it looks im tryna get something cool looking as well
don't be a fag

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

still illiterate wrote:
Stoop Kid wrote:i dunno i dont like the way it looks im tryna get something cool looking as well
don't be a fag
:leon:

Hasenfefer

Post by Hasenfefer »

http://www.audiolines.com/Pro-Audio/Mic ... Rode-NT1-A

Rode NT1-A is probably your best bet. 200- but you'll need to drop a bit more than that for a good pre-amp as well.

SM58 is a great live mic but not really ideal for recording vocals (will work if you're on a serious budget and have the know how to tweek post-production).

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

YEE thanks for the help dudes im all over craigslist and shit but i might go over to guitar center so i can get it with warranty too

illzee

Post by illzee »

i usually use a Rode NT or an sm58, the sm58 is going to give you a little more work but it's super affordable and fairly standard. peace.
I'm out here to bomb, period.