panthergod

Sam Adams - This white kid I know blew up, holy shit

Post by panthergod »

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainme ... ition=also

Sam Adams on tap
ג€˜I Hate Collegeג€™ rapper hits No. 1 with ג€˜Bostonג€™s Boyג€™
By Martin Caballero
Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - Updated 26d 4h ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrint Comments(7) Comments LargerSmallerText size Bookmark and Share Share Buzz up!

Somewhere between soccer practice and midterms, Samuel Adams Wisner found time to drop a No. 1 album.

Less than a year after launching his rap career, 22-year-old college student Wisner, stage name Sam Adams, has gone from unassuming hip-hop hopeful to chart topper. His debut EP, ג€œBostonג€™s Boy,ג€ entered the iTunes Hip-Hop Albums chart at No. 1 last weekend, ahead of the likes of Lil Wayne and DJ Khaled.

ג€œI was definitely surprised (about the albumג€™s first-week numbers),ג€ said the Cambridge native byphone from Los Angeles, where he was celebrating his recordג€™s release. ג€œWe put everything we had in terms of both creativity and funding into this album, and to watch it turn into what you want it to become was amazing.ג€

Released by independent label 1st Round Records with little traditional promotion, ג€œBostonג€™s Boyג€ not only took the top slot on the Hip-Hop Album charts, but also reached No. 5 on the Top Albums list. And Adamsג€™ Annie Lenox-sampled single ג€œDriving Me Crazyג€ reached No. 19 on the Top Songs chart.

It was only eight months ago that Adams, whoג€™s also known as Wiz, released his first song, ג€œI Hate College,ג€ a humorous remix of last yearג€™s hit ג€œI Love Collegeג€ from frat-rap star Asher Roth.

ג€œI hate college but love all the parties,ג€ Adams raps, ג€œfinishing kegs and crushing bottles of Bacardi.ג€ Describing a parentג€™s nightmare and a frat boyג€™s dream, he goes on to complain about how classes interfere with his pursuit of ג€œhottiesג€ and intoxicants.
(Story continues below)

Adamsג€™ ג€œI Hate College (Remix)ג€ has accumulated well over 1 million YouTube views to date, even though there is no video to watch, only a black-and-white photo of Adams at the mike. His manager, Alex Stern, credits a grassroots, social-media-fueled campaign for Adamsג€™ seemingly overnight success.

ג€œOur approach was mainly through the Internet and promoting on Facebook and Twitter,ג€ Stern said of Adams, who has 18,671 fans on the social-networking site. ג€œEven though we had interest from major labels, we wanted to stay independent and stick with the people who helped bring us up.ג€

In the meantime, Adams has plenty to think about besides hip-hop. Heג€™s finishing his senior year at Trinity in Hartford, Conn., where heג€™s also captain of the soccer team.

ג€œSix months ago I was sleeping on the floor at my boyג€™s house,ג€ he said, ג€œand now Iג€™m here in ridiculous hotels in front of cameras. Itג€™s been a big change in lifestyle, but Iג€™m trying to take it all in stride.ג€
- caballeroherald@gmail.com

panthergod

Post by panthergod »

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/music/9829 ... ow-on-tap/
Rapper Sam Adams now on tap
Licensed to Ale
By CHRIS FARAONE | March 12, 2010 | Recommended By 5 People

1003_samadams_main

Something equally remarkable and unprecedented happened this past week: a virtually unknown white Cambridge MC named Sam Adams landed in the top hip-hop spot on iTunes with his debut EP, Boston's Boy. In the Hub's underground rap enclave ג€” where Roxbury veterans Edo G and Guru are the only artists to ever go gold (unless you count Marky Mark) ג€” the news hit like a pint of lager.

"Everybody is pissed the fuck off because Sam Adams is blowing up and they're not," says long-time Bean rap personality Mr. Peter Parker about the local industry reaction. "The bottom line is that he found his fan base, and now he's riding it as far as he can."

That social-network-friendly fan base would be Nantucket-bound collegiate types who like to eat ecstasy. Adams (real name: Samuel Wisner) himself is a senior at Trinity College in Hartford, where the increasingly popular 22-year-old Wayland High School grad captains the varsity soccer squad and apparently "crushes bottles of Bacardi." His breakout YouTube clip, "I Hate College" (which has well more than one million views), hijacked Pennsylvania pretty boy Asher Roth's similar but less degenerate "I Love College" hit from 2008.

Fresh off his record-release bash in Hollywood this past Saturday, the unlikely neophyte star, whose popularity spans university and high-school campuses nationwide, concedes that he's a bit thrown. After all, Adams recorded his first song only seven months ago, started performing at colleges just this past year, and rocked his first Boston show ג€” at the Western Front ג€” this past November.

"Since I started writing lyrics seriously, my goal was to blow up," says Adams, whose Plan B was to play either Xbox or professional soccer. "From the second I started, I was terrified of failure, like I always am. But I can't lie ג€” now I'm a bit terrified of success, too."

Aesthetically, it jibes that Adams may go where no Bean rap act has gone. Tracks like "Coast 2 Coast" and "Swang" avoid traditional East Coast frameworks that have all but disappeared from the mainstream, but that remain dominant in Boston hip-hop. Romancing national trends, Boston's Boy is framed around anthemic hooks and synthetic dance-floor flavor designed to get co-eds creamy.

Not all Boston hip-hoppers disapprove. Newbury Street producer Matty Trump is helping Adams harness more reliable pop samples, like that on his current top-20 iTunes single, "Driving Me Crazy," which borrows from the Annie Lennox smash "Walking on Broken Glass." Promoter Edu Leedz booked him for Boston's Boy homecoming release party on March 19 at Harpers Ferry.

"If it's anything like the last one, it will be completely insane," says DJ Slipwax, who spun at the last unexpected near sell-out at the Allston venue this past January.

"We're not trying to sit back for a second from this point on," says Adams, who is having one hell of a senior spring. "We're sitting down with 15 to 20 major labels in the next few weeks, so chilling isn't really an option."

Read more: http://thephoenix.com/Boston/music/9829 ... z0kGoPOfCn

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

the kid is terrible, Im looking foward to Slaine shittin on em....

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Hustle Crowe is right for the first and only time in his life.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

I just want to know whats going on in Panthergod's sig. Why did that guy kick that kid?

zombie

Post by zombie »

that older kid has down's syndrome and the little kid startled him.

panthergod

Post by panthergod »

HustleCrowe wrote:the kid is terrible, Im looking foward to Slaine shittin on em....
hmmm.

He's no Eminem, but he has undeniable talent. Didn't even know dude rapped until a few weeks ago.

Just saw this dorm freestyle shit--can't deny he has potential at least, extremely herbish friends aside.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhV2_caz6ac&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhV2_caz6ac&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

REFUSE TO LISTEN

panthergod

Post by panthergod »

Philaflava wrote:REFUSE TO LISTEN
Whats with the self-hating wigger posture, brah :lol:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Kurt Cobain poster.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Philaflava wrote:REFUSE TO LISTEN
this is a excellent opportunity to actually have modded by gloss mean the real thing.

I am surprised Thun hasn't put the pimp hand down on this already.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Is this a belated April Fool's thread?

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

panthergod wrote:He's no Eminem, but he has undeniable talent. Didn't even know dude rapped until a few weeks ago.

Just saw this dorm freestyle shit--can't deny he has potential at least, extremely herbish friends aside.
I deny that this dude has either talent or potential.

step one

Post by step one »

sorry, theres absoloutely now way this is any good or even worth spending time listening to. I can just tell.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

dubs

Post by dubs »

"I be on my real shit, throwing butts out the window, you know im the real kid."
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

LOL. The Trademark Experience is SO MAD right now.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

odium-LSC wrote:
panthergod wrote:He's no Eminem, but he has undeniable talent. Didn't even know dude rapped until a few weeks ago.

I deny that this dude has either talent or potential.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Simple Rock

Post by Simple Rock »

Your friend fuckin sucks

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

PopeyeJones wrote:LOL. The Trademark Experience is SO MAD right now.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dids

Post by Dids »

Being a white rapper from Boston and naming yourself Sam Adams is already flying the "I am not creative" flag high enough that nobody need check for your music.

Post by 360 »

panthergod wrote:
HustleCrowe wrote:the kid is terrible, Im looking foward to Slaine shittin on em....
hmmm.

He's no Eminem, but he has undeniable talent. Didn't even know dude rapped until a few weeks ago.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhV2_caz6ac&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhV2_caz6ac&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I completely disagree with you on all points. The kid is wack. I don't care if this was a freestyle or not.

I don't even know why I listened to this shit, I knew it would be terrible.

Dids

Post by Dids »

I liked where his boy got excited that he rhymed Buddhism with Hinduism.

zombie

Post by zombie »

v-neck = hip hop

this guy is a clown.

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

panthergod wrote:
hmmm.

:larry:

rapgame

Post by rapgame »

It's been unveiled that his "rise to the top" was merely a scam. Apparently, he's a trust-fund kid and used a credit card to buy 75,000 copies of his single to force it up the charts on iTunes, and then from there random people see it and it probably did get some legitimate sales from the positioning. Google it...

Why ANYONE would believe that a no-name teenage kid with no prior buzz, YouTube plays, tour history, label support, or just awareness in general would put out an unknown release on iTunes and it would magically catch the attention of almost 100,000 people overnight to run out and buy it.

Cancers like this need to be erradicated from the industry.

No respect.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^^Just checked. The guy who started that story retracted it. Saddingly, this is true.

http://jumptheturnstyle.com/?p=7546

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

http://www.thisis50.com/forum/topics/sa ... e=activity
Boston-area rapper Sam Adams has had quite the roller-coaster month.

His debut album, "Boston's Boy" debuted at the top of the iTunes hip-hop digital album charts after selling just under 8,000 digital units in its first week. But the Cinderella story quickly faded after rumors began to spread that he may have been responsible for most, if not all, of the sales himself as a stunt to gain notoriety.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time sales charts have been gamed to garner a No. 1 spot, and all the attention that honor can bring an emerging new artist.

But so far, the evidence doesn't support the accusations made against him. For starters, SoundScan data shows that 22% of his sales came from the Boston area, not surprising considering he's from the area and that's where his largest fanbase would be. Another 18% of his sales came from New York. The rest came from more than 100 markets nationwide-including Philadelphia, L.A., Washington D.C., and Chicago-and no one market totaled more that 5% each.

Additionally, it's not possible to simply buy up a bunch of songs from one account and have them all count towards iTunes charts. Sources at both Apple and Nielsen confirm that Apple only counts one sale per account to any chart. In essence: one account = one "vote."

The blog that apparently first wrote about the alleged stunt -- Boston area hip-hop blog JumpTheTurnstyle -- has since retracted the story under the weight of such evidence. And Adams addressed the controversy in a press release, stating: "I know there has been a considerable amount of controversy about my album release and hitting No. 1 on the iTunes Hip-Hop charts, and in response I'd like to say that the numbers are legit. They were organic purchases by fans who simply liked the music to purchase. It's as simple as that really; if something in the marketplace is great and word of mouth spreads about it, purchase is bound to happen."

Adams used his Twitter feed to discount the rumors as well, using decidedly saltier language than can be printed here.

So how did the 22-year-old Trinity College student emerge from virtual obscurity to beat such hip-hop superstars as Lil' Wayne and DJ Khaled? Although he has less than 1,000 MySpace followers, he claims in excess of 25,000 Facebook friends. Close to 2,000 follow him on Twitter. But likely the biggest impact came from YouTube, where his earlier single "I Hate College"- a remix of the Asher Roth hit "I Love College" - has more than a million views.

As of Friday (March 12), the album remained at No. 3 on the iTunes hip-hop chart, with the lead single "Driving Me Crazy" at No. 8 among tracks. According to Adam's Twitter feed, he was in Los Angeles last week shooting a video and meeting with various labels

****The kid debuted at number 73 on billboard with almost 8k sold with an itunes exclusive and no promo. Just goes to show a lot of white kids in college and university like hip hop and once white people grow up and stop being wiggers some of them like some songs they can relate too.
Props for Sam. He currently has the number 21 overall album on itunes, and the number 3 hiphop album on itunes (behind battle of the sexes deluxe and battle of the sexes original).
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

never thought I'd see the day when it would be okay for Trinity soccer players to make hip-hop music. That video was pathetic by the way.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

I am absolutely not buying this story. Something is rotten.

BlingRhames

Post by BlingRhames »

yeah he just got a feature on billboard.com

panthergod, what's wrong with you though, that youtube was horrible
Sebastian gets busy wrote:look there is still a chANCE THIS WAS A GIRL