Help a noob with Merch/Shows (video incl.)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Help a noob with Merch/Shows (video incl.)

Post by Smooth Lou »

What's happening good people?

I have good news. I met The Fat Boys a while back, and after much cajoling (read: handjobs--lots of handjobs), and this interview tape:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBbagelk9J4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vBbagelk9J4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I've been asked to perform with them on 05/15 at Fresh Fest in Bridgeport, CT. Also performing (allegedly) are Slick Rick, Salt N' Pepa, Whodini and Biz Markie. Yeah. I peed a little.

This is the biggest thing I've ever done. I'm not being paid for this, so I asked their manager if I could sell merch at the show, and he said that I can't, because of the venue and all the different promoters involved, etc. He said that I should think of it like an audition, and if all goes well, we would sit down and discuss management and selling my merch and so on and so forth. So... with all that said, I've never actually had merch. I've never actually set up shows for myself. I literally have no idea what to do here.

I know many of you guys have done all this kind of stuff, so I'm writing to ask for your collective assistance here. I want to sell t-shirts, one color, one print, on various colored shirts. What should I expect to pay for something like this? Should I find someone online for this, or would it be better to find someone local? The guy who runs no-manches.com is trying to charge me $9 ea. for a run of 50 shirts (or $450) and that seems high, but I truly have no idea.

How about shows between Chicago and CT? I'll be driving through or near:
South Bend, IN
Ft. Wayne, IN
Toledo, OH
Cleveland, OH
Youngstown, PA
New York City

and of course, I'll be starting in Chicago

Are there any performers out there performing between 05/10 and 05/15 that are interested in giving me a 20-25 minute set? Are there any venues that you can recommend that I should or could contact on such short notice?

Thanks in advance. Love you guys,

Smooth Lou

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Props, Lou.

I don't know shit about merchandising, but props.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Employee wrote:Props, Lou.

I don't know shit about merchandising, but props.
Thanks man! I owe it all to Deep Fried Jello, who told me over a glass of his delicious homemade mead last summer, "This is the greatest movie of all time." He then handed me a DVD copy of the 2001 megahit Rockstar, starring Mark Wahlberg, as a guy who resurrects a long forgotten music group. After watching it, I decided:

1) I want to perform with The Fat Boys.

and

2) I will never give Joel his DVD back.

And while it took some time, both of these dreams have come true for me. THANKS JOEL! THANKS MARK WAHLBERG! THANKS MEAD!

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i think you're better off to work on recording an album personally.

make some shirts for fun if you want.. but no one's going to buy a tee of an unknown opening act unless they're friends or something. selling cds hand-to-hand is certainly plausible (and a much more practical promo tool to book shows)

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i guess i'm also assuming that you don't already have an album to sell. maybe you do

my only suggestion would be to make sure you get them silkscreened.. don't go through any of those websites that do janky photo printing or whatever. look for someone local. that you should be able to see how they turn out before they go ahead and print the entire batch of tees. do a small run.. maybe even less than 50

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

i bet it's comedy to see the rider on a fat boys contract

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

still illiterate wrote:i bet it's comedy to see the rider on a fat boys contract
It's a one word rider (nh): Lipitor.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

good shit, Lou.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

ackbar wrote:i guess i'm also assuming that you don't already have an album to sell. maybe you do

my only suggestion would be to make sure you get them silkscreened.. don't go through any of those websites that do janky photo printing or whatever. look for someone local. that you should be able to see how they turn out before they go ahead and print the entire batch of tees. do a small run.. maybe even less than 50
People still buy CDs? I would just as soon get these Disc Revolt Cards (www.discrevolt.com) and sell them for a few bucks, or even give them out with the purchase of the shirt. I understand what you mean about people not necessarily wanting to buy a shirt, so I'm looking to make a fairly good looking shirt for the least amount possible. That way I won't feel bad if I can't sell it for a lot of money.

My favorite thing I'm doing is a lipbalm that will have my logo on it with "stay smooth" written underneath it. Honestly, it's the best thing a beatboxer could sell, don't you think?

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

still illiterate wrote:i bet it's comedy to see the rider on a fat boys contract
"All Brown M&Ms are to be replaced with Pepperoni Pizzas. If this is not completed, you will be crushed to death by Prince Markie Dee."

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

Smooth Lou wrote:
ackbar wrote:i guess i'm also assuming that you don't already have an album to sell. maybe you do

People still buy CDs? I would just as soon get these Disc Revolt Cards (www.discrevolt.com) and sell them for a few bucks, or even give them out with the purchase of the shirt. I understand what you mean about people not necessarily wanting to buy a shirt, so I'm looking to make a fairly good looking shirt for the least amount possible. That way I won't feel bad if I can't sell it for a lot of money.

My favorite thing I'm doing is a lipbalm that will have my logo on it with "stay smooth" written underneath it. Honestly, it's the best thing a beatboxer could sell, don't you think?
People still buy cd's at shows, cause people still have cd players in the whip. As with selling anything, presentation is key. Focus on women, cause they like to shop and "too tru for school" whiteboys cause they will buy anything to be down. Thats if commerce is your main goal. If you want to cultivate a fan base I suggest scouring myspace/facebook for potential show patrons and directing them toward your website/myspace/facebook. This will get people more familiar with you so its not always a "cold sell". You can sell a plumber a brick of shit, if your game is on.

$9 dollars sounds high for a simple shirt. In Atlanta we have http://www.kingscreen.com/. Hopefully you can find someone local with similar prices.

Congrats on the whole situation. Pretty dope.

Remo the Great

Post by Remo the Great »

Smooth Lou wrote:

I suggest you get the Download cards and give em out with the shirts. If this show has the lineup you're talking about, people will be there with money and will certainly be willin to spend a few bucks on a tshirt if they really think you're fresh.

Find a local t-shirt printer (THEY'RE EVERYWHERE) that does silk screening. For a one color design just on the front of the shirt you should not be paying anything more than $4-5 pershirt depending on the brand/quality of t-shirts your printer is providing. Make sure to ask the printer if they have different options as far as t-shirt brand/style/thickness cause if you don't they'll prolly just give you their ultracheap, this-is-what-we-give-the-idiots shirts and you might end up with a t-shirt that material wise doesnt meet your standards (some super thin made for emo kids with nut hugging skinny jeans type t-shirt). Also get a variety of sizes and for the love of god MAKE SURE U HAVE PLENTY SMALL T-SHIRTS FOR THE GIRLS. I cannot tell you how many times I've missed out on a sale cause i ordered too few of the xtra small t-shirts that the little wimminz wear. They're more willing to drop the cash on shirts and shit than dudes.

Make sure your design is really dope. And I also suggest something kind of funny or witty that still represents you, but isn't just your logo. Cats are more inclined to buy something like that than a simple logo tee.

Now as for what to sell your t-shirts for... If you're more concerned about moving a good number than profit, sell em for $10. They'll fly. Especially at a festival like that. If you wanna make a lot of profit, sell em for $15-20 with the download cards. Still a decent price for a t-shirt and is what concert goers will most likely be expecting to pay.

#BOOM.
GoddyNoMore... You can call me Alex.

The Beat Break - A Blog dedicated to Hip-Hop Producers, their music, and their tools.
Alex Minor Dot Com - New name. Get Used to it.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

$9 is rape for shirts

www.jakprints.com

sell your merch anyway.

NYC hit up EOW on the Sunday.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Wow! Thanks for the info you guys! I really appreciate any info I can get. I'm gonna see if I can find someone in my area for a cheaper shirt, but I'll hit up these recommended sites too. Is anybody doing shows in any of these states in the second or third weeks of May, and are you interested in building with me? Please hit me up.

Thanks again,

Smooth Lou

M A T L O C K

Post by M A T L O C K »

Yo Lou! Long time brotha....I need a copy of that Roni Richter.

You should make your own silk screen if its just one color shirts. Its mad easy and you will have fun doing it.

You will save money on printing.

I use the photo-emulsion process...google that shit!

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Oh, and to Remo, thanks for the info on the womens' tees, but would you recommend that I do Babydoll shirts, or just small/xtra small shirts?

How about XXL? Are they worth the cost premium?

Random T-Shirt Q: What ratio of sizes would you recommend? i.e. if I'm getting 50, how many XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL?

THANKS AGAIN GUYS! This site has proven to be helpful time and again.

The Aluminum Falcon

Post by The Aluminum Falcon »

tried and true.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

wtf was that the excitebike music at the end?

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Moolah wrote:wtf was that the excitebike music at the end?
My shout out to you la Mooh! I'm not just subliminal, I'm often just plain liminal, and sometimes superliminal. AHH!

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Moolah wrote:wtf was that the excitebike music at the end?
Caught that too. Fantastic.

Good luck with this Lou! I don't know how I could help now, but if you happen to run through Houston at any point I got you.

agent b

Post by agent b »

Smooth Lou is fucking awesome.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:$9 is rape for shirts

www.jakprints.com

sell your merch anyway.

NYC hit up EOW on the Sunday.
never knew they were ill with the shirts like that. thanx. :cheers:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

I don't really know whats going on in that video but I can do that.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

M A T L O C K wrote:Yo Lou! Long time brotha....I need a copy of that Roni Richter.

You should make your own silk screen if its just one color shirts. Its mad easy and you will have fun doing it.

You will save money on printing.

I use the photo-emulsion process...google that shit!
YO! Matlock! Why you mad at me? Let me take you back in to reality! You diss my nationality cause you lack originality! I think I might have found a local guy to do it. *crosses fingers*

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Stoop Kid wrote:I don't really know whats going on in that video but I can do that.
:lol: "I can do that, I just don't wanna." THAT'S WHAT I WAS SAYING FOREVER DUDE!

wheels

Post by wheels »

What's the deal with the chicago show?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Super duper props duder.

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mLQDgIdrz9M&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mLQDgIdrz9M&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Where can I get this guy's t shirt?

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLN63bRcY5I&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jLN63bRcY5I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> :ohsh: