I'm convinced rappers don't really follow rap

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Blanco

Post by Blanco »

Yeah for example Ghost and Rae are now using Dilla's beats, but didn't know he even existed when he was alive - ain't that some...
I remember like around late 90s-2000 there was this interview with Common when he was asked random names to comment and I was surprised he didn't have a glue of C-Rayz Walz and Lone Catalysts - I guess it doesn't seem such a surprise when I think about it now, but back then I was quite surprised, because Common wasn't really the commercial artist he has become by now and he was kinda moving in the same circles as those other dudes back then...

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blanco wrote:Yeah for example Ghost and Rae are now using Dilla's beats, but didn't know he even existed when he was alive - ain't that some...
I remember like around late 90s-2000 there was this interview with Common when he was asked random names to comment and I was surprised he didn't have a glue of C-Rayz Walz and Lone Catalysts - I guess it doesn't seem such a surprise when I think about it now, but back then I was quite surprised, because Common wasn't really the commercial artist he has become by now and he was kinda moving in the same circles as those other dudes back then...
I'm giving this thread three posts to improve before locking it.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

they're not internet nerds downloading any and every LP, EP, and Mixtape they can get their hands on

jazztomovethatass

Post by jazztomovethatass »

The Frankest wrote:That one's great too, supnick, but I mean this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmjtnqcjemy Nas and Flex right around christmas 2006.
Crazy. Good to hear Nas not being blunted out his mind.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

emp, i think you're giving established artists too much credit when it comes to peeping new music or having a vast knowledge of music minutia from any era other than "before them".
sure, some underground guys stay up on currant shit and know their nerdy history like you and me. but if you're a decently successful career rapper over the age of 35, there's a good chance you stopped checking for shit over a decade ago. obviously, friends and associates will occasionally hip those guys to new shit (IE: puffy being up on jay elect) but , overall, most artists are self absorbed and only listen to shit that's close to them or made by them. a guy like mos def loving doom the way he does is not the norm. it's a shame that it's like that, but that's just how it is.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Icesickle wrote:
vermillion wrote: <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTBIvIDnnv8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zTBIvIDnnv8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Was going to post this video. Mos Def gets a lot of unfair hate on here.
But Mos is a real bboy, he's expected to know all things NT, KMD or Gang Starr.

The Dilla mention is great because when he passed Ghost was talking about how we lost a legend, but when he was told that Dilla did the Pharcyde (Runnin) or Tribe shit he had no idea.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Were many people really up on Dilla's complete discography though? I remember being surprised when I actually saw the whole discography listed after he died.

Also, is GURU's death going to become as annoying as Dilla's? I really hope not.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote: Also, is GURU's death going to become as annoying as Dilla's? I really hope not.
Only to the people who confuse Guru as Gang Starr. If you ask me, Premier should continue with the name and do something a'la Chronic. An album with Freddie Foxxx, MOP, NYGz, Jeru, Lil Dap and maybe one hook by Big Shug.

My other idea is what I mentioned a few years ago, just replace Guru with Jadakiss.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote: Also, is GURU's death going to become as annoying as Dilla's? I really hope not.
it already is (i say this with no specific offense meant to anybody who takes these things to heart), although you can argue that the hysteria is somewhat more justified in this case
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

drizzle wrote:
it already is (i say this with no specific offense meant to anybody who takes these things to heart), although you can argue that the hysteria is somewhat more justified in this case
Well you've just opined yourself off the "R.I.P. Guru (Fukk Solar!)" internet posse track. :owens:

All other MC's, holler at me! :cheers:

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

NOTE: I was kidding with the above post. No MC's are actually invited to contact me. Ever.

Remo the Great

Post by Remo the Great »

Thun wrote:Were many people really up on Dilla's complete discography though? I remember being surprised when I actually saw the whole discography listed after he died.
Exactly. I knew who J Dilla was before he died (mostly from his Slum Village work), but it wasn't till after he passed that I found out he had produced some of my favorite songs. I didn't like Slum V's shit, so I didn't bother checking for his other work.
GoddyNoMore... You can call me Alex.

The Beat Break - A Blog dedicated to Hip-Hop Producers, their music, and their tools.
Alex Minor Dot Com - New name. Get Used to it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Reggie i hope you were kidding about me being off it too

cause i got ideas for days

did you know solar rhymes with molar, polar and gayolar? that's a 16 in the can right there

in the can indeed

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Depends on the rapper. you have a point.

I remember someone asking Fabolous about Only Built 4 Cuban Link, and he started reciting the lyrics to a couple of the songs (Not the singles, either). I was shocked.

Some are heads, like Fat Joe is a REAL Hip Hop Head. Like serious one. He knows a whole lot of shit about the most obscure rappers. Cam is another one, who knows a lot about rap. And others just say they respect who they are suppose to say they respect.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Philaflava wrote: It probably has to do with rappers are just dumb, self-absorbed and only feel themselves.
:gloss:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:emp, i think you're giving established artists too much credit when it comes to peeping new music or having a vast knowledge of music minutia from any era other than "before them".
sure, some underground guys stay up on currant shit and know their nerdy history like you and me. but if you're a decently successful career rapper over the age of 35, there's a good chance you stopped checking for shit over a decade ago. obviously, friends and associates will occasionally hip those guys to new shit (IE: puffy being up on jay elect) but , overall, most artists are self absorbed and only listen to shit that's close to them or made by them. a guy like mos def loving doom the way he does is not the norm. it's a shame that it's like that, but that's just how it is.
:copy:

:smugkid:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

it was cool being at Rock the Bells and seeing Jay Electronica right beside me wyling out to Rakim and rapping along with us all. he's a head like us.

i'm a fan of lots of MCs. being at a Cormega show and rapping to 'Get Out My Way' with him on stage is a life highlight that being a self-absorbed dickhead chillin at the bar ignoring the concert will always be more cool than

music is what keeps me interested. if your music doesn't sound like everyone else, you are worth hearing. that's why Mos Def is a fan of DOOM

Lil Wayne don't listen to nobody's shit though, for real :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

and so it begins...

DLG

Post by DLG »

I have him on block, but I can bet that mindbender is talking about himself and pretending he is a real rapper and how he still follows the scene and performs with famous people all the time.

right?

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

I think with anybody, rappers included, it depends on your circle. Yall got to realise a lot of cats on here are the exception to the rule. Some of yall take hip hop nerdom to a new level. Dont get all :owens: on me, cause that isnt necessarily a bad thing. But the majority of people don't have the time or desire to do that shit. If somebody makes dope music but doesn't know who God Father Don is, I can get over that.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

it was easier to stay on top of things in the 80's and 90's when there was less to follow.
i do my best to follow, and i'd like to believe that i'll go to heaven for it.

hellbound.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

sean wrote:it was easier to stay on top of things in the 80's and 90's when there was less to follow.
i do my best to follow, and i'd like to believe that i'll go to heaven for it.

hellbound.
But are you doing it because you genuinely enjoy listening to rap or do you do it just to keep abreast of things?

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

both.
my laptop is full of revolving shit that i try to keep "abreast" of.
my car is full of shit that i enjoy.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Some rappers see it as a hustle to make money. Some rappers are fans. The fans are going to know all kind of details, and the ones in it for the hustle aren't really going to know about the details.

Reggie

Post by Reggie »

Artists don't need to necessarily be art nerds, but--as I've said before on this very forum--you'd like to think that when someone gets serious about practicing a craft, they examine their forebears closely, even if only to avoid doing the same thing they did. So while I don't expect a current rapper to know Godfather Don necessarily, they should know the bigger names. Many young rappers today seem to get off on professing a complete lack of knowledge about artists that came before them. Whether they are being facetious or serious, I don't know, but pimping your own ignorance for cred is fucking wack.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

drizzle wrote:
http://www.unkut.com/2010/04/when-are-d ... loitation/

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Guru has the same status among the yoof as Dilla?

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

drizzle wrote:
drizzle wrote:
http://www.unkut.com/2010/04/when-are-d ... loitation/

1. Every two-bit blog and news site posts an ג€˜R.I.P.ג€™ piece with the basic facts, and maybe a song or a video.
wow...sites that cover rap have the audacity to post the news that a major artist has died. We're off to a shitty start with this article.
2. A couple of DJג€™s who knew and respected the artist do a quality tribute mix or radio special, followed by dozens of dudes who hadnג€™t played anything by the artist in years but are suddenly claiming to be ג€˜close personal friendsג€™.
uh...rap stations play songs from 94 during their throwback hour every day. "Classic Rap" stations on XM/Sirius play Guru shit every day. Pop Stations aren't playing early 90s hits either.
4. Bootleg blogs post every single album and guest appearance by the artist and claim itג€™s a ג€˜dedicationג€™.
There is a whole generation of rap fans that haven't heard Guru's music, and they don't buy CDs anyway. The exposure of his death gives these kids (or non-rap fans who read the NY Times obit) the chance to enjoy his music. Why is this bad?
5. Bloggers and mixtape DJג€™s frantically raid the vaults in an attempt to find lost demos and outtakes that they can claim as exclusives.
uh isn't this point of blogs like TROY. Give the hardcore fans a chance to enjoy stuff they may not have heard?
6. Video interviews claiming to be the ג€˜last everג€™ flood the blogs, followed by countless videos of rappers telling stories about hanging out the recently departed.
A) Guru has been out of the public consciousness for 10 years. I'm sure people are curious to see what he looked like/had been doing,

B) Sharing stories is something everybody does when somebody dies. It's bad that people like Fat Joe are sharing stories about how Guru changed rap? We don't like perspective now?
7. No name rappers start doing embarrassingly bad freestyles over the dead artists beats.
If a tree falls...
8. Corny ג€˜R.I.Pג€™ t-shirts appear on Ebay.
All rap shirts are corny. Why start here?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3FMSXAfVp0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3FMSXAfVp0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote: If you ask me, Premier should continue with the name and do something a'la Chronic. An album with Freddie Foxxx, MOP, NYGz, Jeru, Lil Dap and maybe one hook by Big Shug.

My other idea is what I mentioned a few years ago, just replace Guru with Jadakiss.
both these ideas are awesome and theres nothing more i'd like than for them to become reality but I think at best we'll get a tribute posse cut featuring most of the above. if they want to do it right each rapper should jump on a different Gang Starr beat for their verse.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com