Supastition retires

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Supastition retires

Post by Philaflava »

04/25/10

For those who have been asking for updates on myself and my album. Kam Moye is longer an artist on MYX Music Label. As of a few months ago, MYX Music is no longer in business from my understanding. At this point my album is kind of lost in the shuffle and I am hoping to get things resolved as far as rights to the music go. The mother company ABS-CBN took some serious losses in the past year so they cut off finances for itג€™s smaller subsidiaries including the label. It was beyond my control and nothing could have prevented it. More than a few artists lost their deals. Iג€™ve dealt with a similar situation before when Chain Letters in 2005 was released and two or three months later the distribution company shut down without warning. Thatג€™s just the way the ball bounces. Hopefully things will work out for all parties. I wish Karim Panni (label manager of MYX) all the best in his new endeavors. There will be no more singles or videos off of the album. Thanks to those who supported the album. I am grateful for the opportunity regardless.

At this time, I have no plans on recording another professional solo album as Kam Moye or Supastition. This decision isnג€™t based on my recent situation with MYX Music but based on the state of the music industry and where itג€™s going. It wasnג€™t an easy decision for me but I felt that it was the best choice. Iג€™ve sacrificed a lot of money and time and itג€™s just not worth it to continue with it the way I have done in the past. All isnג€™t bad news thoughג€¦ I have enough unreleased songs saved in the stash at this point to compile a few more albums. With that being said, Iג€™m going to put those songs together and make them available for free download as soon as I can get clearance from the producers and guest artists involved. There is no release date and there wonג€™t be one. There will be no labels or promo involved. Whenever I can get the okay from everyone involved then Iג€™ll put up a link on my site, Facebook, etcג€¦ Itג€™s as simple as that. Not to mention, I have recorded close to 100 guest appearances in my career so Iג€™m sure they will continue popping up on the internet throughout the years. There are some other MC/producer projects that I already had in the works with Dela (from France), D.R. (Electric Ave), and Madwreck. Iג€™m a man of my word so I will make sure that those projects are finished and completed. Iג€™ve been left hanging way too many times by people that Iג€™ve worked with in the music industry so Iג€™d never do that to people I respect. I mainly chose to do projects with them based on their talent, loyalty, and just being good people and friends in general. The collaboration project with Dela may be released on CD/iTunes depending on what he decides to do with it but the other two projects will be free releases. Also, I just provided DJ Concept (Bash Brothers) with over 70 songs to release in a Kam Moye/Supastition mixtape series in order to help distribute the remaining songs in my catalog.

Although Iג€™ll always write and record music, I have no interest in to pursuing it professionally anymore as an artist beyond this point. 5 record deals, 3 albums, 3 EPג€™s, 5 videos, 12 countries, and 40+ U.S. cities is more than enough for me to be proud of. I know some people will wonder why canג€™t I still just make music? The truth is that I have never ג€œjust made musicג€ because most of my career I have managed myself (until recently), booked most of my own shows & tours, found my own record deals, found my own producers, and most recently recorded my own music. That takes a toll on you and your personal life after awhile. Out of all those duties, I spent the least amount of time rapping and recording music. With music being technically free nowadays, thatג€™s way too much effort for the results Iג€™ve seen. Waking up to see a blog giving away your entire discography for free followed by a single sentence saying ג€œsupport the artistג€ is a very humbling thing to see when your rent is due. Thatג€™s not bitterness, itג€™s just todayג€™s realityג€¦ Iג€™m at peace with that. Iג€™m going to make sure that the rest of the music in my catalog will reach those fans who have supported me over the years. This isnג€™t some corny retirement speech or ג€œI quitג€ rantג€¦ just me personally giving you an update on what to expect and what not to expect from me. Iג€™m sure people will interpret it any way that they like though. I had originally written a lengthy and personal message breaking down a lot of things but I realized that nothing on the internet is personal anymore. Thanks all of those who have supported and all of you who will continue. Iג€™ll update you on things as soon as I can. Hopefully you will enjoy the rest of the music and if not then you have more than enough music from me already. Peace and respect yג€™all.

- Kam Moye (Supastition)

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Didn't see this coming at all. I'm not the biggest fan, but I'm sure he has the potential to drop an album near the quality of Chain Letters so I'm a little disappointed. Didn't like his last album much though, and I never bought any of his albums besides Chain Letters so I guess I'm apart of the reason he retired. Making money in the music business is tough, especially on an independent level so I don't blame him..

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

wow.

respect due.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

I expect to see a lot more of this. Out with the old in with the new.

Dude had a decent run though. Might as well quit while people still care about you quiting.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

One Of North Carolina's Best Ever, he peaked with The Deadline EP. He stays in my rotation one way or the other. I wonder how long he gone stay retired, he's def on of the better indie emcees.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Definitely a good run.

"I'm that feeling when you wake up in the morning, late for work
I'm that feeling when you slip and fall and act like it don't hurt"
etc, and finally:
"I'm that feeling when you bought that Canibus CD" lol

Respect. I always liked Supastition, wish him the best.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The Frankest wrote:Definitely a good run.

Respect. I always liked Supastition, wish him the best.
Yup. He was always apart of that new school emceeing I have been a fan of. I'm sure I'm a bit bias since I've worked with him on a few projects but he has a plethora of hits when you do the research. His albums were sometimes uneven but I blame a lot of that on the label, budgets and region. If he was from NY or LA he would have easily gained more notoriety because he was truly nice with his pen.

Me Minus U
The Williams
Da Waiting Period
Adrenaline
The Signature
Crown Me
Fountain of Youth
Boombox
100%
Nickel On The Needle
Hate My Face

To name a few, and let's not forget how he murdered "Nasty Filthy" too.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Tired & Broke wrote:he peaked with The Deadline EP.
Yup. Definitely one of the standout records from the past decade. Sad to see him quit.

thryle

Post by thryle »

The dude's smart and he's right to pursue other interests that are less stressfull.

Thun

Post by Thun »

How come someone like Joe Budden or Nikki Minaj never makes this decision?

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Very dope emcee and I always have checked for him since "7 Years of Bad Luck". When I had my shitty college radio show I rocked his shit whenever something dropped. He definitely had a good run.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Re: Supastition retires

Post by Moolah »

Philaflava wrote:Waking up to see a blog giving away your entire discography for free followed by a single sentence saying ג€œsupport the artistג€ is a very humbling thing to see when your rent is due. Thatג€™s not bitterness, itג€™s just todayג€™s realityג€¦
Truth.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

sad that someone who deserves a good future in this hip hop shit is the smartest one who realizes how damn near impossible it is to have a good future in this shit now.

hope he drops some random songs here and there.

respect and peace to Supastition

hope you find happiness
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

One of my faves. Not happy about the news.

djpos2?!

Post by djpos2?! »

damn. what a bummer.

dude is really sick. I have majority of his catalog and there are not alot of tracks i skip when i listen to his music.

he is a very cool cat and can rock the stage with the best of them.

im looking forward to hearing the music in the vaults he will be releasing soon.
"blood on his wallys like ketchup"

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRt3LoHQ4gY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRt3LoHQ4gY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Always been a fan

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zg3siIFy9n8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zg3siIFy9n8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Waking up to see a blog giving away your entire discography for free followed by a single sentence saying ג€œsupport the artistג€ is a very humbling thing to see when your rent is due. Thatג€™s not bitterness, itג€™s just todayג€™s realityג€¦
:bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: / :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ post reminded me to put on Treme just now. Thanks.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:Always been a fan
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Employee wrote:
wat

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Moolah wrote:
Employee wrote:
wat
That doesn't strike you as the least bit disheartening?

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:sad that someone who deserves a good future in this hip hop shit is the smartest one who realizes how damn near impossible it is to have a good future in this shit now.
Yep. Realize it and quit. Especially since you don't deserve a good future. Not to mention the somewhat important fact that Supa had talent and skill and you don't. You fuckin' suck. At everything.

Peace
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Stoop Kid wrote:<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zg3siIFy9n8&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zg3siIFy9n8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
This beat was bananas, always loved that track. My fav joint from him(pause), but I never checked much else.

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

If 5 record deals, 3 albums, 3 EPג€™s, 5 videos, 12 countries, and 40+ U.S. cities isn't worth the effort of making music what is?

Blanco

Post by Blanco »

So I guess there won't be also those new projects by One Be Lo and Fortifive Live (Illmind's group) - who else was on MYX ?

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Employee wrote:
Moolah wrote:
Employee wrote:
wat
That doesn't strike you as the least bit disheartening?
Indeed. I quoted it for truth. I thought you were having a go at Supa for that statement though, not agreeing.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mansfield Status wrote:If 5 record deals, 3 albums, 3 EPג€™s, 5 videos, 12 countries, and 40+ U.S. cities isn't worth the effort of making music what is?
All of that means little when the bank account doesn't reflect. Bad deals, bum labels, small budgets, :bork: venues that pay little and rampant downloading = reality for talents like supa.

If not for the appearances on SV, Elzhi would have NO real success, financially that is. His career path isn't too far off from Supa when you think about it.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

When is the last time anybody who posts on :phila: purchased some of dude's music? I mean I enjoy his raps, but, there's nothing about him that excites me to the point of purchase. It takes more than being a "dope emcee" to make a living in this game.