Lupe Fiasco - LASERS

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Lupe Fiasco - LASERS

Post by Icesickle »

Here's the first video from it, "I'm Beamin." Verse 2 is pretty great.

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/u92EcrdDwqi ... ram><param name="allowFullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><embed src="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/u92EcrdDwqiahbtE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

This song is pretty corny. Not good at all, but Lupe fans will probably be all over this..

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

vermillion wrote:This song is pretty corny. Not good at all, but Lupe fans will probably be all over this..
It's a good album cut, but I don't know why he made it a single.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Star Wars happened a long long time ago you fucking homo.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Icesickle wrote:
vermillion wrote:This song is pretty corny. Not good at all, but Lupe fans will probably be all over this..
Not really. Maybe if you have low standards, but this song isn't that good no matter how you slice it. Shining Down was a lot better, and I'm not even really a Lupe fan but I can admit that. Most, if not all of his records on his first two albums are better than this too..

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

vermillion wrote: Most, if not all of his records on his first two albums are better than this too..
there it is.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Lupe Fiasco - LASERS

Post by Employee »

Icesickle wrote:Here's the first video from it, "I'm Beamin." Verse 2 is pretty great.

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/u92EcrdDwqi ... ram><param name="allowFullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><embed src="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/u92EcrdDwqiahbtE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

tayRavage23

Post by tayRavage23 »

Icesickle wrote:
nah this is a great single for Lupe Fiasco

most of his fans will love this shit and this new cocky activist persona will draw in new fans. bet money the whole album is probably gonna sound like this, synthy as fuck w/ the nigga spewing "enlightenment" w/ a touch of holier than thou attitude.

the video is better than the song, yall will think it's corny (and it is a lil bit) but yall are cynical as fuck.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

good track

not a departure from his other stuff at all

the album will be dope

Me Still

Post by Me Still »

The beat sound kinda cheesy but damn dudes lyrics and patterns is pretty bangin.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

everything but the lyrics of the verses and his flow sucks on this song

stop it with kanye rip off 808s and heartbreak gay shit synth-driven beats (even if it were produced by kanye)
Nets 2022

Thun

Post by Thun »

Meh. Terrible execution here. And I actually like the beat.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Fuck the artist Lupe has become.

curiouscharles

Post by curiouscharles »

actually don't mind the beat (now that the track is finished)

really can't stand the attitude he's conveying though, really miss raw-recordin' pre food & liquor lupe

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

He's just following the concept of this record. The albums is called Lasers and I think he's trying to execute the concept well, even to the point of using synth based production. Maybe this song will sound good in the context of the album or something. Weird how this doesn't even have a release date when I heard the first single almost a year ago.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Neptunes beat. Shit is fire.

Lupe has maybe three bearable songs and this is one of them.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

vermillion wrote:Weird how this doesn't even have a release date when I heard the first single almost a year ago.
It had leaked and he ranted accordingly. You must have missed that.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Neptunes beat. Shit is fire.
Makes sense now since this song sounds like a Pharrell song.

table

Post by table »

The cute Asian girl on the catwalk is the spitting image of a young Michelle Malkin.

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

im feelin this. i honestly dont understand the hate. great replay value.
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

will be one the biggest songs of 2010....

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

ayentee wrote:im feelin this. i honestly dont understand the hate. great replay value.
Yeah, this grew on me. It's as good as some of the best tracks on his last album.

The video is better than the song though. It has a Spike Jonze feel and the special effects are cool.

DLG

Post by DLG »

don't see how it's not a good choice for a single. the chorus was stuck in my head by the second verse.

I'm not mad at this.

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

this dude is fucking annoying

the chorus is hot but the verses are pretty terrible. For a dude who's supposed to be able to rap, he sounds a lot like kanye/drake in his mediocrity.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

i can't remember what mixtape i heard but Lupe killed it on a bunch southern tracks. which is more than likely why i fuck with this.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

ObeseJesus wrote: the chorus is hot but the verses are pretty terrible. For a dude who's supposed to be able to rap, he sounds a lot like kanye/drake in his mediocrity.
This is a single, dude. The verses, especially the second verse, have more "substance" than almost anything on the radio. If you want bravara lyrical lyrical performances, check out this shit:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQI97-WOfoo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQI97-WOfoo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FcI6QxwcT9w&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FcI6QxwcT9w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Lupe Fiasco - LASERS

Post by Employee »

Employee wrote:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Re-listened. Has grown on me a bit. Second verse is dope, though the sentiment is straight jacked from the Jay-z "Che Guevara with bling on" line of flimflamming, which is in itself a diluted version of what Outkast were trying to convey on "Aquemini" so color me somewhat unexcited about the poetics here... but his flow is on point so why complain?

Not sure I'd want an album full of songs just like this one, though ... we'll see.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Are you sending out a signal to Dids or something? I don't get it...

Kilgore786

Post by Kilgore786 »

shit's dope, Lupe's dope...

Anybody think otherwise is entitled to their opinion but ya'll might be trippin.