Kon + Amir Present: The 50 Greatest Hip-Hop Samples Of All T

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Thun wrote:LOL@ anyone complaining about this list.

Knowledge and expertise counts for nothing, huh?

Almost all of you started listening to hip hop in this millennium, and the vast majority of you didn't even know what a sample or loop was until the latter half of the last decade and almost every one you was introduced to the sample sources on this list through the internet (as your parents bumped the Carpenters and Pat Boone through your childhood).

Everybody, shut the fuck up, is basically what I'm saying.
your so cool man.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Verge

Post by Verge »

Mansfield Status wrote:the best record on that list is space funk I wasn't offended that nautilus was left off of the list as much as I was offended at some of the covers for the records they posted were reissues.. coming from Kon & Amir.. that my friend.. is laaaaame
Come on, man, stop being a perpetually negative creton. If you know about Kon And Amir, then you know they got deeper crates then we could ever aspire to. Unless you live with your parents and don't work, yet have crazy record dough and time to dig a LOT, I don't.
They're not "internet" dudes so I'm sure the girl who wrote the piece for Complex simply did image searches on google for the covers. Only people like us would notice that because we dig. NOBODY ELSE CARES if the covers are re-issues. I'm sure most of the mp3s weren't from Kon or Amir either.

I wasn't complaining about the Nautilus not being there, it was just a glaring omission. I'm very happy with this list and the fact that it only really had a few real played out ones. A couple I didn't even know about as far as the drum breaks. :smugfaggotface:

My point was that a major blog out there was complaining about the list and even listed like 50 songs that he thought should have been on it. His first choice was Aerosmiths Walk This Way. :fail: :fail: :fail:
http://www.hiphopisread.com/2010/05/kon ... atest.html

And anyone who wants to put this list together in mp3 form, I'm down to help out. I have most of the list on mp3. Anything we don't have we could just download straight off Complex with Firefox's download helper plug in.

TheIronLion

Post by TheIronLion »

Verge wrote:My point was that a major blog out there was complaining about the list and even listed like 50 songs that he thought should have been on it. His first choice was Aerosmiths Walk This Way. :fail: :fail: :fail:
The samples I included were in alphabetical order, homie. Aerosmith just happened to be number one (makes sense, right?). But in defense of "Walk This Way", would you really put Clyde McPhatter's "Mixed Up Cup" ahead of it? I wouldn't.

Here's a shorter list of blaring ommissions:

Baby Huey - Hard Times
Bob James - Nautilus
Bob James - Take Me to the Mardi Gras
Fred Wesley & The J.B.'s - Blow Your Head
Funkadelic - Good Ole Music
Funkadelic - Knot Just (Knee Deep)
George Clinton - Atomic Dog
Incredible Bongo Band - Apache
James Brown - Funky Drummer
James Brown - Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)
Lowell Fulsom ג€“ Tramp
Lyn Collins - Think (About It)
Marva Whitney - It's My Thing
Mountain - Long Red (Live)
Rick James - Mary Jane
Ronnie Hudson - West Coast Poplock
The Mohawks - The Champ

Forgetting about ^ those tracks ^ is a SIN. Even if this list was put together by Premo, RZA & Pete Rock I'd STILL shit all over it. FAIL.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Verge wrote:And anyone who wants to put this list together in mp3 form, I'm down to help out. I have most of the list on mp3. Anything we don't have we could just download straight off Complex with Firefox's download helper plug in.
(edit) I have a zip available tonight which has a good amount of the stuff. Will get back to you on it via pm later.

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

Verge you don't know SHIT about Kon OR Amir OR samples OR records.. just shut your face and keep downloading your crates and acting like you know something about em...

TheIronLion

Post by TheIronLion »

Really doe, 'Greatest' lists shouldn't be confused with 'Shit You Never Heard Of' lists. Kon & Amir tried to toe the line between the two - that's where they fucked up. Putting "Impeach the President" at number one - 'Greatest' territory - and not having "Nautilus" or "Funky Drummer" is damn right blasphemous. Just my thoughts ladies and gentlemen...

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

TheIronLion wrote:Kon & Amir tried to toe the line between the two - that's where they fucked up.
I'm sure they're both loosing sleep over it.

:roll:

Thun

Post by Thun »

TheIronLion wrote:Really doe, 'Greatest' lists shouldn't be confused with 'Shit You Never Heard Of' lists. Kon & Amir tried to toe the line between the two - that's where they fucked up. Putting "Impeach the President" at number one - 'Greatest' territory - and not having "Nautilus" or "Funky Drummer" is damn right blasphemous. Just my thoughts ladies and gentlemen...
Oh good point. You sure showed them.

Dap

Post by Dap »

why do people catch feelings over these lists? it just doesn't make sense. at all.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Mansfield Status wrote:Verge you don't know SHIT about Kon OR Amir OR samples OR records.. just shut your face and keep downloading your crates and acting like you know something about em...
:larry:
I dunno what his knowledge of kon and amir is but i can say , without question, that verge knows his shit when it comes to records.

TheIronLion

Post by TheIronLion »

Money Daniels wrote:
TheIronLion wrote:Kon & Amir tried to toe the line between the two - that's where they fucked up.

I'm sure they're not. Doesn't invalidate my arguments for the sake of argument. It's what I do.

Mansfield Status

no he doesn't.. and neither do you blockhead.. if you consider yourself a crate digger.. a record nerd even.. and didn't know all 50 of those records then you're hardly either or. ALL of those are elementary digging 101 shit.

Thun

Post by Thun »

TheIronLion wrote:
Money Daniels wrote:

I'm sure they're not. Doesn't invalidate my arguments for the sake of argument. It's what I do.
No, your idiocy, your belligerence, your lack of logic, your inflated sense of self-importance, and the amateur mediocrity of your writing do the job of invalidating whatever argument you think you're expressing.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mansfield Status wrote:Verge you don't know SHIT about Kon OR Amir OR samples OR records.. just shut your face and keep downloading your crates and acting like you know something about em...
You are semi-literate and annoying and a douche chill generator, though.

Orale Holmes

Post by Orale Holmes »

Thun wrote:
You are semi-literate and annoying and a douche chill generator, though.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBelT-Xi1CY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nBelT-Xi1CY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mansfield Status

yeah but at least I have a stake in the real world rog.. you're still a zero anywhere but here.. but hey man bein a legend on the net is just as cool right?

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

What "stake" do you have in the "real world", Eric?

You're an obese, housebound Soundclick/Myspace producer who admits he has no friends or girlfriend that sells beats with drums which sound like your frail grandfather's ricketty knees and samples used on DITC solo member album cuts a decade ago to teenage rappers from Rhode Island.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

LOL

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mansfield Status wrote:yeah but at least I have a stake in the real world rog.. you're still a zero anywhere but here.. but hey man bein a legend on the net is just as cool right?
If by "stake" you mean a "rag on a stick", sure.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSJQEl5vcAo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jSJQEl5vcAo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

:lol:

TheIronLion

Post by TheIronLion »

Thun wrote:No, your idiocy, your belligerence, your lack of logic, your inflated sense of self-importance, and the amateur mediocrity of your writing do the job of invalidating whatever argument you think you're expressing.
Amateur mediocrity, eh? Double negatives FTW!? Congratulations. That list still blows donkey balls. Now please go ahead and kindly crawl under the rock from whence you came, thank you.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Mansfield Status wrote:no he doesn't.. and neither do you blockhead.. if you consider yourself a crate digger.. a record nerd even.. and didn't know all 50 of those records then you're hardly either or. ALL of those are elementary digging 101 shit.
but how come all of those are elementary? you found all those records in Hawaii, i have never heard thats such a record mecca.
i know people who been collecting music (not diggin) for more than two decades and havent gotten their hands on a "Ball Of Eyes"
im sure you have doubles of it at home alongside an original mint skull snaps

i also havent heard of a few records on that list and i think i know a bit about records and actual diggin even, not your the-breaks-to-ebay type of "diggin"

Thun

Post by Thun »

TheIronLion wrote:
Thun wrote:No, your idiocy, your belligerence, your lack of logic, your inflated sense of self-importance, and the amateur mediocrity of your writing do the job of invalidating whatever argument you think you're expressing.
Amateur mediocrity, eh? Double negatives FTW!? Congratulations. That list still blows donkey balls. Now please go ahead and kindly crawl under the rock from whence you came, thank you.
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: / :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

step one

Post by step one »

TheIronLion wrote: That list still blows donkey balls.
nothing like an angry blogger with an inflated sense of self importance.

Kon and Amir are respected worldwide and have a knowledge of music you cant even begin to comprehend.
You write a shitty blog yet deem your opinion superior to theirs.

you cant condense 25 years of sampling into 50 records. im sure if they got asked again in 1 months time 50% of the list would be different.
quit taking it so seriously and enjoy the music.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Verge

Post by Verge »

^Basically.
Mansfield, I really don't need to justify myself to you because you don't count. But I been diggin(not ebay diggin) since before you had your first twinkie, herb. A couple on the list I never knew where they were from. No matter how long or how much you dig, nobody knows everything. Thats why cats stay diggin. Not every one of those records are elementary.

Verge

Post by Verge »

TheIronLion wrote:
Verge wrote:My point was that a major blog out there was complaining about the list and even listed like 50 songs that he thought should have been on it. His first choice was Aerosmiths Walk This Way. :fail: :fail: :fail:
The samples I included were in alphabetical order, homie. Aerosmith just happened to be number one (makes sense, right?). But in defense of "Walk This Way", would you really put Clyde McPhatter's "Mixed Up Cup" ahead of it? I wouldn't.

Here's a shorter list of blaring ommissions:

Baby Huey - Hard Times
Bob James - Nautilus
Bob James - Take Me to the Mardi Gras
Fred Wesley & The J.B.'s - Blow Your Head
Funkadelic - Good Ole Music
Funkadelic - Knot Just (Knee Deep)
George Clinton - Atomic Dog
Incredible Bongo Band - Apache
James Brown - Funky Drummer
James Brown - Say It Loud (I'm Black and I'm Proud)
Lowell Fulsom ג€“ Tramp
Lyn Collins - Think (About It)
Marva Whitney - It's My Thing
Mountain - Long Red (Live)
Rick James - Mary Jane
Ronnie Hudson - West Coast Poplock
The Mohawks - The Champ

Forgetting about ^ those tracks ^ is a SIN. Even if this list was put together by Premo, RZA & Pete Rock I'd STILL shit all over it. FAIL.
Okay, man. I didn't peep long enough to see that it was alphabetical. No, I wouldn't put the Walk this Way break over Mixed Up Cup. Maybe I'm just so sick of it from being a kid and hearing that shit everywhere though.
Like people said, you can't put any type of any list together without people getting mad about it.

And Mansfield, I don't know Kon or Amir personally, never said that, but I did meet Amir quite a few times diggin in various spots in NY. Also, one notable time was when me, him, Shabazz The Disciple and Diamond D were waiting in line for the Brand Nubian re-union show earlier this decade and Diamond was quizzing us on samples and breaks from his records. Not to name drop cause none of these people would remember me, just sayin', I know my shit.
:smugkid:
And I have many of their CD's, so stop acting like you know me or what I'm about. Just cause you see me share mp3s don't mean I'm a 20 something year old new jack who just started listening to rap or funk online a few years ago. You negative creton.

step one

Post by step one »

Verge wrote: Also, one notable time was when me, him, Shabazz The Disciple and Diamond D were waiting in line for the Brand Nubian re-union show earlier this decade and Diamond was quizzing us on samples and breaks from his records.
:ohsh:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com