Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

should be a fun list
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Only a fraction of the way through this and really enjoying the hell out of the stuff I had never heard before. Upload requests pending, it seems.

Thanks for sharing this!

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Good shit in here.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

only read through about 20 of them.. but nice to see a bunch of stuff i'm unfamiliar with (in addition to all the obvious certified classics)

can't stand how complex lays out these lists. terrible to navigate

Verge

Post by Verge »

Kon And Amir are THOSE ddeep diggin mothafuckas. You can bet that this will not be a bunch of James Brown or Isaac Hayes samples.
I haven't peeped yet, but I'm sure I'll have at least some of these samples on mp3 if anyone needs them, let me know which ones and I'll see what I got.
thanks for the heads up, pradadon.

Dap

Post by Dap »

thanks for this

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

This is excellent stuff.

Had no idea that David McCullum even did music let alone that Next Episode / MIA beat.

Verge

Post by Verge »

People on blogs are complaining that the list isn't good enough. :roll: It's a good list, I don't think Kon or Amir meant for it to be definitive, but Complex wanted to put that spin on it to get more viewings I'm sure.
There's a lot of notable breaks and samples missing, but there's so many, how could you even attempt to put them together without missing something? Or without having people whine and complain?
But..... Nautilus isn't on there. :fail:
There's definitely a couple I hadn't known where they were from though. Good shit.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I love these dudes. I been listening to their compilations since day 1. The list is great, but of course could include so many other samples. But they covered all the bases with the exception of Nautilus and I would have liked to see NT on there.

The funny thing to me was how Amir was talking about the Beatnuts use of The Heath Brothers joint. He did not even mention One Love, and it seemed like Kon sort of just brought it up after. :naswtf:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

BTW, Tribe is just all over this list. Q-Tip is the most slept on producer of all time. Not that he is slept on by the masses but he is never brought up in GOAT discussions and that is insanity.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Verge wrote:People on blogs are complaining that the list isn't good enough. :roll: It's a good list, I don't think Kon or Amir meant for it to be definitive, but Complex wanted to put that spin on it to get more viewings I'm sure.
There's a lot of notable breaks and samples missing, but there's so many, how could you even attempt to put them together without missing something? Or without having people whine and complain?
There's definitely a couple I hadn't known where they were from though. Good shit.
I would rather it not have all the played out shit because we've heard it all before. I appreciated the Monty Alexander joint being on there because I've always wanted to hear it.

Fuck those herbs for complaining that it doesn't mention shit we've all heard and read about 2342 million times already.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Spartan wrote:This is excellent stuff.

Had no idea that David McCullum even did music let alone that Next Episode / MIA beat.
GOAT SAMPLE son

Verge

Post by Verge »

pradadon wrote: The funny thing to me was how Amir was talking about the Beatnuts use of The Heath Brothers joint. He did not even mention One Love, and it seemed like Kon sort of just brought it up after. :naswtf:
That struck me funny, too. Did Beatnuts flip it first for that joint with Puba? If so, then that's why.
I'm just not positive off the top of the head. I'm glad they showed mad love to the Beatnuts though throughout this list. Motherfuckas sleep hard on the Nuts.
Odnet wrote:
Verge wrote:People on blogs are complaining that the list isn't good enough. :roll: It's a good list, I don't think Kon or Amir meant for it to be definitive, but Complex wanted to put that spin on it to get more viewings I'm sure.
I would rather it not have all the played out shit because we've heard it all before. I appreciated the Monty Alexander joint being on there because I've always wanted to hear it.

Fuck those herbs for complaining that it doesn't mention shit we've all heard and read about 2342 million times already.
Yeah, basically, I agree.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

dope.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Nah, it was the opening track of the album that used that sample. You Don't Stop. The joint with Puba was different. In any event, the Nas album came out first, but who knows who had the records lined up first. Back then all those dudes were all digging together and getting beats and trading shit and all over it. lol Juju and Tip were mad close so who knows.

I agree about the Nuts tho, they are just on some next shit and Street Level is, without question, a 5 mic album. When 5 mic's meant something. Thatr album meets every credential for what a 5 mic album should be. I hold it very high on my list. It sits in my top 20 albums of all time.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

We are going to have to get these 50 tracks up in one zip. I have a lot of them but I fear some might be 128. I am going to go through my shit this weekend.

Thun

Post by Thun »

You know, you're right, man. Illmatic doesn't get enough recognition and the Beatnuts can't even walk into a mall without getting mobbed by teenage girls. I really wish Kon and Amir made a greater effort to give props to a slept on rarity like Illmatic.

aleph

Post by aleph »

Spartan wrote:Had no idea that David McCullum even did music let alone that Next Episode / MIA beat.
Going off on this tangent, his son Val is a famed session guitarist and his stepdad for a time was Charles Bronson
http://www.jackshittheband.com/val.html

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

pradadon wrote:We are going to have to get these 50 tracks up in one zip. I have a lot of them but I fear some might be 128. I am going to go through my shit this weekend.
pretty sure i got most of them.

I'll see what i can do this weekend.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

ran thru the whole list earlier today...

as always Kon & Amir hold it down....really covered a lot of the major bases....

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Thun wrote:You know, you're right, man. Illmatic doesn't get enough recognition and the Beatnuts can't even walk into a mall without getting mobbed by teenage girls. I really wish Kon and Amir made a greater effort to give props to a slept on rarity like Illmatic.
I hear what you are saying but to me that sample is One Love. Not You Don't Stop or Superman Lover adventure 3-437. And like I said, he said that The Nuts used it first then everyone used it and as far as I know Illmatic was first. I'm all for giving the Nuts props though, they certainly do not get enough.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Spartan wrote:Had no idea that David McCullum even did music let alone that Next Episode / MIA beat.
McCallum was just a singer. You can thank all of that to Axelrod. He is the one that composed all the music for his albums.

I have most of the shit that they listed on the top 50, but there are a few breaks that I don't have. Actually I never even heard of a few of the breaks. Going to be keeping my eye out for those.

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

the best record on that list is space funk I wasn't offended that nautilus was left off of the list as much as I was offended at some of the covers for the records they posted were reissues.. coming from Kon & Amir.. that my friend.. is laaaaame

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Mansfield Status wrote:the best record on that list is space funk I wasn't offended that nautilus was left off of the list as much as I was offended at some of the covers for the records they posted were reissues.. coming from Kon & Amir.. that my friend.. is laaaaame
That could have been Complex though.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Wait a second Nautilus isn't on the list?

I had to skip a few, and I figured it would be on there. That is kind of a travesty.

Thun

Post by Thun »

LOL@ anyone complaining about this list.

Knowledge and expertise counts for nothing, huh?

Almost all of you started listening to hip hop in this millennium, and the vast majority of you didn't even know what a sample or loop was until the latter half of the last decade and almost every one you was introduced to the sample sources on this list through the internet (as your parents bumped the Carpenters and Pat Boone through your childhood).

Everybody, shut the fuck up, is basically what I'm saying.

Thun

Post by Thun »

pradadon wrote:
Mansfield Status wrote:the best record on that list is space funk I wasn't offended that nautilus was left off of the list as much as I was offended at some of the covers for the records they posted were reissues.. coming from Kon & Amir.. that my friend.. is laaaaame
That could have been Complex though.
Also, who gives a shit?

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Damn, that David Axelrod "The Smile" joint has been sampled a lot. Most recently by DJ Premier for Royce's "Shake This". I'm going to start checking out Axelrod's albums. Looking forward to going through this list.

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

yeah Nautilus not being on there was kinda wack....nuthin from Bob James being on there period was kida ass....