Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Brougham33

Big Boi- Sir Lucious Left Foot

Post by Brougham33 »

Album is out today and it deserves its own thread. Best Buy and Amazon are selling it for $7.99 and the deluxe edition CD/DVD for $11.99.

Pitchfork got the Roots album right, and now this as well:

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/144 ... ico-dusty/

[quote]Big Boi
Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
Def Jam; 2010

Every great rap group has one MC who is-- possibly unfairly-- perceived to be slightly lesser than the other. DMC. Parrish Smith. Malice. Pimp C, at least up until he died. Big Boi's been on that list ever since Andr
Last edited by Brougham33 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Easily album of the year for me so far.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

whoever tried to say Big Boi had the Phife-curse in the Daddy Fat Sacks thread is fucking high and has not heard this record yet.

It's a shame "Lookin' For Ya" couldn't make the cut, it would fit nicely into this album, while "Royal Flush" would not.

"You Turn Me On" is getting heavy bump right now. I love some good sleepy brown vocals.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

copped like Image

thank God for Big Boi :bow:

maybe by next summer, we'll get an Outkast album
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I really do enjoy the album and its about what I expected in terms of being eclectic to the point it is nearly bi-polar in its shifts in style. The production is pretty wild. Cee Lo would have been well suited for a guest spot on some of those wilder, more uptempo beats. And I had no idea that Salaam Remi, Lil Jon and Scott Storch worked on this. Does anyone have production credits?

But more than anything, it's really unfortunate that Dre didn't make onto even one song.

PEACE

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

yeah this is album of the summer for sure

i was always apprehensive about a big boi solo, but he did good

the only downside is how i wish andre was also on every song.

we need a new outkast where they BOTH RAP

DLG

Post by DLG »

yeah, I really ruined the album for myself because I've had the leaks on repeat for months, but it's still very great. I probably need to take a long break though and listen to it with fresh ears again to enjoy it as much as I should though.

That song with Yela is nuts.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

shutterbug is a fucking STORCH beat? consider my mind blown. he still has it.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

I just bought the cd! Anyone know the production credits for the 2 bonus tracks in the deluxe edition?

16.) Theme Song
17.) Shine Blockas Remix

DLG

Post by DLG »

same beat on the shineblockas remix dude

if it's the one with bun b and project pat

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

DLG wrote:same beat on the shineblockas remix dude

Yeah, I haven't gotten to that yet. I kind of assumed it would be the same beat.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

truthaddict wrote:
DLG wrote:same beat on the shineblockas remix dude

Yeah, I haven't gotten to that yet. I kind of assumed it would be the same beat.
:upload:

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

QWALMS wrote:shutterbug is a fucking STORCH beat? consider my mind blown. he still has it.
He worked on that beat for over a year... at least he's trying.

The best track on the album is Train Pt. 2. Anyone disagree?
"Anything posted/said by Drastik is false and should not be taken seriously."

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Drastik wrote:
QWALMS wrote:shutterbug is a fucking STORCH beat? consider my mind blown. he still has it.
He worked on that beat for over a year... at least he's trying.
that's cool. it just shows progression, i guess. it's lightyears ahead of cookie cutter shit like lean back and turn it up... i approve.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Quotashun wrote:Easily album of the year for me so far.
yep
HipHoppin wrote:"Daddy Fat Sax" is one of my fave songs of the year
sounds like an old outkast song that just doesn't happen to have andre on it. great way to start the album.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

I will be purchasing this.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Drastik wrote: The best track on the album is Train Pt. 2. Anyone disagree?
Great track, but nothing is fucking with "Shutterbugg" till it's completely played out on the radio.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Quotashun wrote:
Drastik wrote: The best track on the album is Train Pt. 2. Anyone disagree?
Great track, but nothing is fucking with "Shutterbugg" till it's completely played out on the radio.
Shutterbug is really so instantly and easily likable.

This album reminds me of those front-to-back great hiphop albums (that were, for me personally, more common in the mid-90s -- pardon the nostalgia) that you keep on listening to and keep having new favorite songs from over the course of months and months.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Damn people really like this? I must be missing it. The entire time I keep praying Andre shows up on a track. I think of "what if" Royal Flush made the final cut. I say what if he had some Organize Noize on here.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Philaflava wrote:Damn people really like this? I must be missing it. The entire time I keep praying Andre shows up on a track. I think of "what if" Royal Flush made the final cut. I say what if he had some Organize Noize on here.
Don't know what's wrong with me, but I kinda like it better because Andre's not on it. His best verses blow big out the water, but he's insanely inconsistent, where big boi is steadily excellent if almost never :ohsh: on the levels that Andre occasionally reaches. I know I'm in the minority here, but these are my thoughts yo.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

storch probably made that beat four years ago. big boi said in a pitchfork interview that he usually sits on beats for two years before even rapping on them.

this is a good album, but it isn't "Front to back" great. I still haven't listened to the intro...well, I finally heard it when I watched the General Patton video.

I like "Shutterbugg", "Daddy Fat Sax", "General Patton", "Tangerine", "Fo Yo Sorrows", "Shine Blockas", and "Night Night".
That's 7 out of 15 tracks.
A really high ratio of listenable:crap songs, definitely hard to come by in any decade of music purchases, but I also get picky.
Mostly the beats save this. I could deal without TI's verse on Tangerine, which doesn't really match Big Boi's style or theme all too much, and other stuff like "You Ain't No DJ" has a hook stating "Your DJ Ain't No DJ" (two different things) and hell, that hook is placed between random topic verses that have nothing to do with the hook, whatsoever.

I want to like this more than I do, but just can't.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

sleazy_j wrote: and other stuff like "You Ain't No DJ" has a hook stating "Your DJ Ain't No DJ" (two different things) and hell, that hook is placed between random topic verses that have nothing to do with the hook, whatsoever.
Next level relevant criticism.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Big Boi has been a more enjoyable rapper than Andre for years now.

My only issue with this album are the pointless skits. Fantastic summer album and the best Outkast-related album since Aquemini. And yes, I know what that means and I am fine with the backlash.

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

Philaflava wrote:Damn people really like this? I must be missing it. The entire time I keep praying Andre shows up on a track. I think of "what if" Royal Flush made the final cut. I say what if he had some Organize Noize on here.
my thoughts as well, hopefully it will grow on me though

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Big Boi and The Roots made my summer 700% better. I love this album.

Am I the only one still bumpin' "Shine Blockas" like it came out yesterday??

starks

Post by starks »

^^ song of the album

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

I think the problem with this album is that the best songs were released as singles and got a lot of play from me before the album came out. The sequencing also hurt this album for me. Just plays odd to me. The skits are annoying as well, especially the David Blaine one. Lookin' 4 Ya and Royal Flush are probably better than every song on the album, so Jive stepping in probably hurt the album, but with that being said, this album is still very good. Cohessive without sounding too alike (like most of How I Got Over). Big Boi proved he's one of the most consistant MCs and is probably the best 'second fiddle' rapper in a group, along with Prince Po. Album would have been MUCH better if this album substituted Follow Us, Hustle Blood and Be Still with Royal Flush, Lookin' 4 Ya and maybe even the Blige song. I'll definately buy it, worth the purchase in my opinion. This album, Marcberg, Stimulus Package and How I Got Over are the only albums from the year that I really enjoyed..

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

blastmaster wrote:Big Boi has been a more enjoyable rapper than Andre for years now.

My only issue with this album are the pointless skits. Fantastic summer album and the best Outkast-related album since Aquemini. And yes, I know what that means and I am fine with the backlash.
Too early for me to say, but I can say it's definately better than Idlewild and more consistant than Speakerboxx/The Love Below..

binary

Post by binary »

blastmaster wrote:
That isn't saying shit really.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

vermillion wrote: This album, Marcberg, Stimulus Package and How I Got Over are the only albums from the year that I really enjoyed..
Also forgot TSOL. Only purchased Stimulus Package so far, but I'll get the others soon. Anyone think the other track with Andre will surface on an Outkast album, leak or not get released at all?