Is Black Thought a top 10 MC of all time?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

stype_ones

Is Black Thought a top 10 MC of all time?

Post by stype_ones »

Not sure about you guys, but I generally have a hard time really making a concrete top 10 of all time list. I pretty much know the first 5, but the next 5 usually gives me a problem if I am trying to be definite.

That being said, I think I would have to put Thought in the top 10. Obviously, The Roots are not a mainstream type of act, but when having this conversation over the weekend with a bunch of dudes from around the way, some people were really shocked that I said he was top 10. Even on here a few weeks back people were saying someone like Cam is top 10, which many of the dudes from around the way agreed with. Don't get me wrong, I love Cam and he does have mad flavor and style, but do people honestly think he is a better MC than Black Thought? I guess people really do.

I have been listening to that new Roots album and Thought just kills every verse on that shit. He has been killing shit for damn near 20 years. Does their "underground" staus hurt his placement in people's GOAT lists?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Iג€™m in the same boat, though I think Thought has only really killed it for the past ג€œ10ג€ years. Before he was just dope but he didnג€™t hit his peak until he started dropping joints like ג€œWeb.ג€ I was surprised to see many of the new era emcees of the late 90ג€™s calling BT their favorite or one of like Big Pun, Eminem, Kweli or Mos Def.

But this is a personal thing and for me he is one of my favorites of all-time, but attempting to be unbias it might be difficult to put him in the top 10, but I wouldnג€™t be mad.

(no order)

1.KRS-ONE
2. Nas
3. LL
4. Ice Cube
5. Kool G Rap
6. Rakim
7. Big
8. Big Daddy Kane
9. Chuck D
10. Scarface

Then the next batch is Redman, Black Thought, Slick Rick, GZA, Ghostface, Q-Tip, Posdnous, Kool Keithג€¦

step one

Post by step one »

based solely on skills/lyrics you'd have a good argument to put him up there. He's not the most charismatic personality on the mic though and that seems to be what people focus on these days.

also, if he wasnt in The Roots he'd probably have disappeared ages ago.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

its wild niggas got big pun in they top 10 but not bt

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

No. BT is not a top ten rapper. Neither is Kweli, Mos, or any of those type of cats that new jacks typically include in their lists.

Making a comprehensive top ten is hard, and of course, always subjective, but here's my attempt... (no order)...

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Honorable mentions: Akbar, Masta Ace, Prodigy, Pep Love, Ras Kass

Peace.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

KITFUNK wrote:No. BT is not a top ten rapper. Neither is Kweli, Mos, or any of those type of cats that new jacks typically include in their lists.

Making a comprehensive top ten is hard, and of course, always subjective, but here's my attempt... (no order)...

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Peace.
Not that I disagree with your statement but your list and honorable mentions completely negates it. You have to be a :bork: right?
Last edited by Philaflava on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

WES RESTLESS

Re: Is Black Thought a top 10 MC of all time?

Post by WES RESTLESS »

pradadon wrote:I have been listening to that new Roots album and Thought just kills every verse on that shit.
^^^
This

Album has been getting a lot of play lately.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

KITFUNK wrote:No. BT is not a top ten rapper. Neither is Kweli, Mos, or any of those type of cats that new jacks typically include in their lists.

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Peace.
I am far from a new jack, and I seriously consider putting him in my top 10. Not sure how you could have GZA or Deck in your top 10 of all time and not have Thought. Plus, mentioning Thought in the same breath as a Mos Def or Kweli is just insanity.

As always, it is to each his own. It's hard to argue over people's top lists because it is all subjective to begin with.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Philaflava wrote:

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Peace.
Not that I disagree with your statement but your list and honorable mentions completely negate it. You have to be a :bork: right?
Nah. I'm no bork.

Nocando is on my top ten simply because of preference. His style is unique and lyrically he's a beast. I knew it wouldn't be a popular pick, but again, I wouldn't be caught dead with LL, Cube, or Chuck D on my top ten. Last pick was for personal preference.

And as long as we're talking about skills, Akbar definitely deserves an honorable mention. His lack of material is what prevents him from being on the list, but he is a better emcee than half of your list, easily.

Most 13 year old new jacks who just got into hip hop usually have BT, Kweli, Mos, etc on their lists. I've noticed that trend, which is why i commented on it.

Everyone on my honorable mentions list and Nocan is better than BT, Kweli, Mos, and all the other indie acts bein' pulled out, so I don't see how my list negates my statement.
Last edited by KITFUNK on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Placing Black thought has always been a difficult task because the first half of his career he and Malik B were always together. Not to mention he has an unfair advantage of having a talented band while rocking live. He'd be in my top 20-30.

I know i'm gone get shit on but Kane and Big L were always dope as hell but overrated to me. Big l for his lack of material due to untimely death and Kane's output post Taste of chocolate was real spotty. Both influential though. I can still here them in mc's on the mixtape circuit East coast.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

pradadon wrote:

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Peace.
I am far from a new jack, and I seriously consider putting him in my top 10. Not sure how you could have GZA or Deck in your top 10 of all time and not have Thought. Plus, mentioning Thought in the same breath as a Mos Def or Kweli is just insanity.

As always, it is to each his own. It's hard to argue over people's top lists because it is all subjective to begin with.
I wasn't calling you a new jack. I was just saying, in general, on boards with this topic, a lot of teens who just got into hip hop put those three emcees on their list and I can't see how.

dirtee

Post by dirtee »

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Peace.
:rofl:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

KITFUNK wrote:
pradadon wrote:

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Peace.

I wasn't calling you a new jack. I was just saying, in general, on boards with this topic, a lot of teens who just got into hip hop put those three emcees on their list and I can't see how.
Nah, I was just making a point. But I agree with you, a lot of people who got caught up in that late 90's Rawkus type Hip Hop really fell in love with guys like Mos and Kweli. Even Common to a lesser extent. I like those guys but they are not top 10 MC's, not even top 20.

stype_ones

Re: Is Black Thought a top 10 MC of all time?

Post by stype_ones »

WES RESTLESS wrote:
pradadon wrote:I have been listening to that new Roots album and Thought just kills every verse on that shit.
^^^
This

Album has been getting a lot of play lately.
Thought was really in a zone on this album.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thought was dope on this album but it's way too short of work. He needed a few solo tracks. Some lines like "counting on me like a digit" or "if everything is made in china are we Chinese" are kinda lazy and laughable though.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Philaflava wrote:Thought was dope on this album but it's way too short of work. He needed a few solo tracks. Some lines like "counting on me like a digit" or "if everything is made in china are we Chinese" are kinda lazy and laughable though.
I sort of agree, but if I micro-analyze every verse from rappers these days I would never really be satisfied. I mean, Nas to me is my favorite MC and on Untitled there were moments of brilliance coupled with moments of utter nonsense. I find it hard to find MC's without filler lines or even worse, corny lines.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I don't wanna even get into this top ten ever list shit but anyone who has kweli in their top ten mc's of all time list needs to perhaps give up listening to hip hop. just saying...OF ALL TIME????

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

kweli doesn't even crack my top 100.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:kweli doesn't even crack my top 100.
pretty much.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

LOL @ definitive Top Ten lists.
Vanderslice:

'Top 10':
1. Alchemist
2. Alchemist
3. Alchemist
4. Alchemist
5 Alchemist
6. Alchemist
7. Pizza
8. Alchemist
9. Alchemist
10. Pizza

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Blockhead wrote:
Philaflava wrote:kweli doesn't even crack my top 100.
pretty much.
He def is low enough to not even be thought of or taken seriously in a discussion. Anything after 40 starts to just fade into the abyss.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I had all these youngins tell me last week that Lil Wayne is the greatest dead or alive. I said he isn't even in my top 50. They told me to tell them my top 5 and I said Nas, Rakim, Kool G Rap, etc. and they said, I shit you not, who is Rakim? I kind of chuckled inside.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

the influx of :bork: in M2C has been entertaining at the very least.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

KITFUNK wrote:
pradadon wrote:

- KRS-One
- Rakim
- Kool G Rap
- GZA (or Deck)
- Big Pun
- Sean Price
- Big L (or Finesse)
- NaS
- Pharoahe Monch
- Nocando

Peace.

mos def or bt over big l or big pun easy imo. big l aint even got a great album. big l wuz never even better than cam

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

Some MC's are must-haves on top ten lists, and others are personal opinion add ons. Black Thought is one of the latter.

KRS is a top ten and fuck you if you like or dislike his shit. Where you place him in your top ten list is subjective, but his inclusion is without debate.

I hate Kweli's delivery, but his lyrics are amazing, he's in my top 30. Black Thought has a dope delivery, but his lyrics aren't all that. He's right in there with my top 30.

But what do I know, I got Willie D in my top ten ;)

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

no

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

cenzi wrote:
But what do I know, I got Willie D in my top ten ;)
:leon:

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Black thought is great, technically he really improved steadily. still my personal 3 favorite raps by his are from before 2000 somehow.

technically and if you look at longevity he's up with the goats now. but i think he's missing something its hard to pin down. it seems to me many people feel the same and when you ask them why he is not a top mc they go into great lenght of describing how he isnt all that technically and quote this or that joint or how he raps about boring topics or the same stuff. wich is bullshit because if you look at any mc you could say the same stuff. i think he just lacks this certain x factor, the untangible last spark you can't really point out that divides art into very good and brilliant.

Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

I like Black Thought, cuz of his clean, conscious intellectual rhymes.

He has alot of subliminal content and well woven lyricism that many don't know of.

And he has good anthems, it's just that people want anger not charisma..

black thought is always calm and under control.

He is not on some M.O.P or some Busta Rhymes shit....a mature grown man with spiritual poetry....positive black individuals can relate to the sci.

That is why people say he is not top 10.

here is a fake top 10.

1-Rakim
2-Big Daddy Kane
3-Old Dirty Bastard
4-Redman
5-Kool G Rap
6-Nas
7-RZA
8-Black Thought
9-GZA
10-Slick Rick

and the wild card favorite is: Posdnous/AZ or Dr Dre...

kinda all over the place, but represents my love for all the good MCs..word

C
www.conspiracyscreations.com
everybody sharing all the food, liquor, drugs, and money for free spiritual knowledge and PUSSY....
extraterrestrial illumination has been discovered!(Really.)
top 10-BUSTA-RZA-AZ-REDMAN-NAPTRON-APATHY-ABSTRACT RUDE-BLACK THOUGHT-DR DRE-SCARFACE (and Supernatural as a bonus 11*)
2010 C

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

hes a top ten mc of all time in my personal list, being that black thought is prolly one of my favorite mcs.

but again, all these lists are objective, so theres no right or wrong answer.

im sure someone out there has stagga lee in their top ten so, :kanyeshrug:

black thought is the shit tho