Is Black Thought a top 10 MC of all time?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Here's another.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxGQB3CG_94&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxGQB3CG_94&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Actually bring dope back in this thread.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

KITFUNK wrote:He's using it wrong.
jesus christ man.
you are not reading my posts.
or you are just not getting it.

i understand the difference.
it's not relevant to me.
was just making fun of the fact that you felt a certain way about having your opinion belittled.
just trolling you man.

and i must admit, it wasn't much fun.

keep it moving dude.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Yeah he is, he's top 5 for me..

1) KRS One
2) Nas
3) Kool G Rap
4) Andre 3000
5) Black Thought
6) Ghostface Killah
7) Kool Keith
8) Pharoahe Monch
9) Chuck D
10) Redman

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RtWhCUsLI2U&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RtWhCUsLI2U&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

KITFUNK wrote:Here's another.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxGQB3CG_94&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NxGQB3CG_94&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That shit is awesome. No doubts about it.
It's also the best thing he ever did and it's not even on his own albums.
Ackbar was certainly dope but putting him in your top ten is kinda :naswtf: . I know it's all personal preference but I'm Just saying, TOP TEN EVER? Ackbar?

One time about 8 years ago, I was visiting a friend at their college. I was already in my mid 20's. anyway, I got into a rap talk with some freshman kid and he told me that Da bush babees second album was undeniably one of the top five albums ever made. this kinda reminds me of that.

Req

Post by Req »

1. Nas
2. Saigon
3. Kanye West
4. The Game
5. 2Pac
6. Rick Ross
7. Angie Martinez
8. Big Sean
9. Ackbar from Philaflava
10. Escobar305
F.U. MOOLAH

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Blockhead wrote:

Ackbar was certainly dope but putting him in your top ten is kinda :naswtf: . I know it's all personal preference but I'm Just saying, TOP TEN EVER? Ackbar?

One time about 8 years ago, I was visiting a friend at their college. I was already in my mid 20's. anyway, I got into a rap talk with some freshman kid and he told me that Da bush babees second album was undeniably one of the top five albums ever made. this kinda reminds me of that.
Actually, I didn't put him in my top ten. I gave him an honorable mention.

But I understand your point of view, I knew that wouldn't be a popular pick. He however, happens to be one of my favorites, hence the inclusion in the topic.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Req wrote:1. Nas
2. Saigon
3. Kanye West
4. The Game
5. 2Pac
6. Rick Ross
7. Angie Martinez
8. Big Sean
9. Ackbar from Philaflava
10. Escobar305
Great list.

Cosign. Although I'd probably replace 2pac with Employee though. He's something fierce (nh).

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

Akbar is a friend of mine, pretty cool that he's getting some shouts.
NICE CAT!

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

i would say BT is good enough to be in someone's top 10, but i can understand if he bores people sometimes. (no :ardy:)

top 10 of all-time lists really depends on the criteria. are we talking consistently dope mc's, regardless of career success?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Rob Sonic wrote:Akbar is a friend of mine, pretty cool that he's getting some shouts.
You're my friend. I'd like to shout you out right here.
Hi Rob!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

KITFUNK wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

That was the sad part. This is the guy who is down with Immortal Technique right?

What you're saying and clearly this is personal taste but what you just did was say this dude was worthy of discussion.

By saying that you just implied that Ackbar is better than..

Dres
Posndous
Q-Tip
DEL
Ras Kass
Guru
Grand Puba
Bun B
Lord Finesse
PMD
Brother J
MF Doom
Aceyalone
AZ
Big Boi
King Tee
Sadat X
Kool Keith
Prodigy
O.C.

Get my point?

There are at least 20 better indie rappers from the 90's better than Ackbar.

I'll name some of them

J-Live
El-P
Godfather Don
MURS
Maylay Sparks
Planet Asia
Aesop Rock
Edan
R.A. The Rugged Man
Breezly Brewin
Blueprint
Gift of Gab
Mr. Live
Sir Menelik
Supastition
Vakill
One Man Army
The Last Emperor

Do you get the point? You immediately become dis-credible and no matter what you post will be ridiculed because of that one left field response.

If I walked into the Sports Bar and said Rondo is one of the best PG of all-time I should be laughed at, banned and maybe even killed depending on the day.

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

dang top ten lists are hard
i was drawing mine up but there's so many good emcees really

still if thought isn't on it he def moves up closer with each release which is the opposite of a lot of other cats

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Philaflava wrote:
KITFUNK wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

That was the sad part. This is the guy who is down with Immortal Technique right?

What you're saying and clearly this is personal taste but what you just did was say this dude was worthy of discussion.

By saying that you just implied that Ackbar is better than..

Dres
Posndous
Q-Tip
DEL
Ras Kass
Guru
Grand Puba
Bun B
Lord Finesse
PMD
Brother J
MF Doom
Aceyalone
AZ
Big Boi
King Tee
Sadat X
Kool Keith
Prodigy
O.C.

Get my point?

There are at least 20 better indie rappers from the 90's better than Ackbar.

I'll name some of them

J-Live
El-P
Godfather Don
MURS
Maylay Sparks
Planet Asia
Aesop Rock
Edan
R.A. The Rugged Man
Breezly Brewin
Blueprint
Gift of Gab
Mr. Live
Sir Menelik
Supastition
Vakill
One Man Army
The Last Emperor

Do you get the point? You immediately become dis-credible and no matter what you post will be ridiculed because of that one left field response.

If I walked into the Sports Bar and said Rondo is one of the best PG of all-time I should be laughed at, banned and maybe even killed depending on the day.
I don't understand any of that.

Down with Technique? WHAT? Since when was Akbar down with Emo Tech?

Also, I never implied that he was better than anyone. I simply stated that he's dope. If you got anything else out of that then it was because you took it as such.

And LOL at you saying I implied that Akbar, who isn't on the list, is better than Finesse WHO ACTUALLY IS IN MY TOP LIST!

I guess by putting Ak in my honorable mention, I automatically implied that he is better than everyone. Didn't know that. I'll be more selective next time.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Ackbar, Akil whatever. Dude has no place near a top ten, top whatever list.

But you put Nocando so I guess it doesn't matter. I bet Nocando wouldn't even put himself that high, unless he is fucking high.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Philaflava wrote:Ackbar, Akil whatever. Dude has no place near a top ten, top whatever list.

But you put Nocando so I guess it doesn't matter. I bet Nocando wouldn't even put himself that high, unless he is fucking high.
Do you know who Akbar is? Or Akil for that matter?

I don't even fuck with that homo Tech, but I believe that fag artist you were talking about is Akir. Who I think we can all agree does not belong on a top list.

Akbar, of Mental Giants, on the other hand is dope as fuck. And many people would not include him in a top list. I'm well aware of that. Again, all subjective, don't know how many times it has to be said.

And that sports reference has absolutely no relevance. With a sport you can track a player's performance. He either had a good career based on the stats or he doesn't. He either made the basket or he didn't. Made the touchdown or he didn't. Personal opinion has no play in it.

Rap isn't like that. Opinion gets factored in and there are no solid stats to compare.
Last edited by KITFUNK on Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Philaflava wrote:Ackbar, Akil whatever. Dude has no place near a top ten, top whatever list.
Akir man...Akir.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

Blockhead wrote:
Rob Sonic wrote:Akbar is a friend of mine, pretty cool that he's getting some shouts.
Hi Rob!
Damn yo, Thanks Bro. Hey this guy Gary lives in 2B, sometimes he says, "It's scorcher out there". Im giving him a shout. GARRRRRYYY!
NICE CAT!

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

off topic and irrelevant......ive only listened to 'how i got over' twice or so.... but, for me at least, its definitely a letdown from their last two albums. then again one of those was game theory(their best album) so that is to be expected, i guess.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

i give bt points for how he aint neva fell off or even got any waeker. redman an to a less extent cats like ghost, cam, gza did. also big pun an big l rilly get over in the top 10 shit cuz they died they aint have to pass that test of stayin sharp over time. if redman fell off i damn sure know big l woulda.

Dids

Post by Dids »

I don't think his body of work is such that you could reasonably but him in a top 10, but Nocando is really awesome and hopefully this thread inspires a few more people to check his shit out.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I got a call from my mom today, she got the lupus now.

Thanks a lot KITFUNK, you big jerk.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Smitty wrote:I got a call from my mom today, she got the lupus now.

Thanks a lot KITFUNK, you big jerk.
Next is your dad.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Rob Sonic wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
Hi Rob!
Damn yo, Thanks Bro. Hey this guy Gary lives in 2B, sometimes he says, "It's scorcher out there". Im giving him a shout. GARRRRRYYY!
word. strong shout out to my ninja Gary. He's top 10 dead or alive.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

KITFUNK wrote:Next is your dad.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Once Thought kicked this verse in '96 he made it known that he was great. -

Hey yo, I'm just a lyricist
A chemist of the hemp
The beat pimp
The ill Philly resident
That's far from hesitant
Corrupt like a president
Never benevolent
But poetically prevalent
Cooler than peppermint
The lieutenant for niggas talkin bout represent
No doubt, its obviously evident I get bent
Far from temporary son I'm very permanent
Hittin m.c.'s like an intoxicant
Sent to prevent
Monopoly is my intent
The means is what I invent
This mental murder pay the rent
Lyrically I'm the dominant ingredient
The swift extravagant
Smooth lubricant
Down with the M-the-Ill-itant
(ch-ch-ch...) That's the sound of the dynasty chant
We surround your camp
Assumin the war stance
And bring it from the chest
Now let's dance

He's never had a defining album, but he's probably the most consistent MC out there...15 years of good material. He's probably at the end of my top ten if I had to make one.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

unclebengi wrote:Once Thought kicked this verse in '96 he made it known that he was great. -

Hey yo, I'm just a lyricist
A chemist of the hemp
The beat pimp
The ill Philly resident
That's far from hesitant
Corrupt like a president
Never benevolent
But poetically prevalent
Cooler than peppermint
The lieutenant for niggas talkin bout represent
No doubt, its obviously evident I get bent
Far from temporary son I'm very permanent
Hittin m.c.'s like an intoxicant
Sent to prevent
Monopoly is my intent
The means is what I invent
This mental murder pay the rent
Lyrically I'm the dominant ingredient
The swift extravagant
Smooth lubricant
Down with the M-the-Ill-itant
(ch-ch-ch...) That's the sound of the dynasty chant
We surround your camp
Assumin the war stance
And bring it from the chest
Now let's dance

He's never had a defining album, but he's probably the most consistent MC out there...15 years of good material. He's probably at the end of my top ten if I had to make one.
Yet he, along with ?uest, defines the Roots who are certainly one of the greatest rap groups of all time. And Black Thought is the only one rapping on every album.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

highly controversial but i think the roots band have held back thought.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Blackthought is good no doubt, but I don't think he would even make a top 30 list if I really thought about it.

step one

Post by step one »

Ramen wrote:highly controversial but i think the roots band have held back thought.
know what you're getting at it but without them he'd probably be in that category of talented 90s rappers who drop an album every 5 years and spend the rest of time doing shows in Germany and doing cameos on JS-1 albums (see: Masta Ace, Pharoahe Monch etc)
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com