The death of the CD

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

The death of the CD

Post by Philaflava »

When was the last time you purchased a CD?

How many do you usually buy a year?

(CNN) -- If you think the musical compact disc is dying or dead, you're probably younger than it is.

"Show me a teenager buying a Susan Boyle album on CD and I'll show you someone buying a gift for their grandparent -- for Christmas," jokes Billboard senior chart manager and analyst Keith Caulfield. "There is definitely an age component to the consumption of music."

As the music industry as a whole struggles in a down economy and direct download business models like iTunes flourish, the compact disc -- which was commercially introduced in 1982 -- has the appearance of going the way of vinyl.

And contrary to the recent declaration of singer Prince -- who said that the Internet is dead and released his latest CD for free via European newspapers -- there's some evidence that consumers aren't as enamored with ripping the cellophane off that new CD as they once were.

According to data from Nielsen SoundScan, in 2007 CDs accounted for 90 percent of album sales in the United States, with digital accounting for the other 10 percent. Just two years later, that number had shifted to 79 percent CDs and 20 percent digital, with the remaining percentage point being made up of vinyl and other media.

Billboard's Caulfield said that so far this year, about 44 million digital albums have been sold, compared with 40 million during the same time frame last year. But while digital sales have increased slightly, CD sales have dropped from 147 million last year to 114 million this year for the same time period.

Caulfield stops short of speculating on a date when CDs might be phased out, but he does see similarities with the history of other media.

"Vinyl was the predominant configuration from the '50s and the '60s all the way up through the early '80s, and then cassettes became the predominant format from the early-mid '80s to the very early '90s," he said. "Then CDs became the predominant format and cassettes really didn't go away until a few years ago. It's kind of a natural progression, to a degree."

That's not to say that some artists aren't still selling well. Country group Lady Antebellum has so far racked up 2.4 million in album sales -- both CD and digital -- making them the top-selling act so far for 2010. In second place is teen phenom Justin Bieber, with 1.4 million.

"When an artist like a Drake or Eminem sells a bunch of albums, that shows that there are a lot of people that really want to spend money and give money to the artist that they are really, truly a fan of," Caulfield said. "The younger an artist skews in terms of who they appeal to, you'll see a larger share of their album sales tilt towards digital."

One obvious benefit of digital downloads is their ability to scratch an immediate itch. Caulfield observes shows like Fox's "Glee" make songs almost instant hits because "they have already heard and liked the song by the time they download it." Paul Grein, who writes the "Chart Watch" column for Yahoo.com, agrees, seeing hope for the music business in the success of "Glee" and "American Idol," which have helped spike downloads.

Despite the CD's decline, Grein believes the format will be around for the foreseeable future.

"I think it's becoming less of a mass-market item and kind of a niche product that caters to a small but loyal following," he said. "But there are enough cases where we are seeing albums that are selling in big numbers that I think they will be around for a while." Younger-skewing artists, such as singer-rapper Ke$ha, enjoy a larger slice of the digital pie than older-skewing artists such as James Taylor, he says.

Indeed, the format isn't the point, he said. In 100 years, recorded music has gone from cylinders to shellac 78s to vinyl LPs to cassettes, CDs and now digital downloads. Through it all, listeners still crave tunes.

"Music is definitely still in fashion," he said. "It's all around us."

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

OB4CL2 last year. I'll probably pick up Big Boi and Curren$y on CD soon, actually.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Quotashun wrote:OB4CL2 last year. I'll probably pick up Big Boi and Curren$y on CD soon, actually.
Well at that rate just save the music industry why don't ya.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Philaflava wrote:
Quotashun wrote:OB4CL2 last year. I'll probably pick up Big Boi and Curren$y on CD soon, actually.
:lol: and you?

Escobar305

Re: The death of the CD

Post by Escobar305 »

Philaflava wrote:When was the last time you purchased a CD?
Today.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i download alot

but if i like what i hear and i can get ahold of the cd i will most def purchase soon or later

the last cds i got was that fifth element deal 5 cds for 10 bucks

actually no

the new roots

i had to buy it

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Quotashun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
:lol: and you?
Last CD I bought was The Roots a few weeks ago. I'll always support them, even though I get their shit for free (promo). I average about 10 new CD purchases a year and I can honestly say just 2-3 might be hip-hop.

I don't need to give Rick Ross anymore money since 99.9% of his raps are about how wealthy he is. I'll stay downloading his shit.

starks

Post by starks »

nas - untitled was the last album i paid for

i'd like to buy CDs. i really would. but i'm in college. the shit is just not viable economically, dun.

i don't feel any guilt about it either. i have a rule. if the musician is pulling in more than me it's hellllooooo bitorrent.

Jonny

Post by Jonny »

i have no fucking clue the last time I bought a CD but it was years ago.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Last CD I bought was The Roots "Rising Down" that first week it was released.

A couple days ago I won Rob Swift's newest CD from a Twitter contest he was having, so when that arrives that'll be my first CD of 2010.

I download a lot, but only stuff that's given away by the artists.

I'm interested in hearing the Roots latest and Big Boi's, but I won't download them and too broke to go buy them.

As much as I like Atmosphere and Brother Ali, I still haven't heard Felt 3 and I think Ali has released 2 that I haven't heard. I did at least attempt to purchase those at Best Buy earlier this year, but they were like $15 each. I refuse to spend that much on a CD.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

philaflava

what non hiphop albums do you purchase

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

Freeway & Jake One was the last cd I bought...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Neuro wrote:philaflava

Mostly Jazz shit.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Philaflava wrote:
Neuro wrote:philaflava

Mostly Jazz shit.
Fag.

I bought Big Boi and The Roots recently.
Don't buy too much new music, usually artists I support (Tui, Freeway, OME, Nocandy, etc.)
I download tons of old shit, nothing new.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

starks wrote:nas - untitled was the last album i paid for

i'd like to buy CDs. i really would. but i'm in college. the shit is just not viable economically, dun.

i don't feel any guilt about it either. i have a rule. if the musician is pulling in more than me it's hellllooooo bitorrent.
This.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

bought 4 this year.

HustleCrowe

Post by HustleCrowe »

I still buy cds, especially if im a fan of the artist and have been looking foward to the release unless im broke.

last cd I copped was " Season Of The Assassin"

Pronay

Post by Pronay »

my last music purchase of any kind was on amazon (because I couldn't find a dl link):

The Complete John Peel Sessions
Gary Numan (Artist)
October 15, 2008

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Last cd copped: Da King & I - Contemporary Jeep Music
Last new cd copped: Sahtyre - The Exclamation Point Mixtape

I buy about 25-40 cds a year.

zombie

Post by zombie »

I buy all my music.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I still buy CDs. I like the format. I usually get one new release a month, and because of how the industry is going, I'll usually also get one or two catalog titles I've been mening to get that I can find on the cheap. Also, when I'm traveling I like to find one or two local rap CDs from whereever I'm going.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I've probably bought 50 albums in the past year. Mostly through Amazon at about 9 bucks a pop. Just bought the reissue of MF Grimm's "Downfall Of Ibliys" the other day. But there's not much in Hip Hop that has held my attention the last few years, so I've gotten into all sorts of shit. I constantly download shit and the stuff that I like that's made by living artists who aren't millionaires, I buy. Even some older shit, I like my old Jazz and Rock lossless. I like to have something physical too.

CD's are what I spend my money on...it's not that expensive compared to a lot of other hobbies.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

clipse
wale
raekwon
freeway
big boi

i can't even remember the last time i checked the used bin.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

been a decade since i bought a packaged cd meant for resale

i still buy blank cds in bulk, just to burn the archaic way
ipods are full and i still use the cd player in the whip

shit, i still have hundreds of cassette tapes in my basement, closet, and garage taking up space i dont have.

having a tangible form of music to collect and display was always fun.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

DLG

Post by DLG »

I used to buy CDs like mad while in HS and college, probably have over 800.

Thing is, it's just not practical for me anymore, for several reasons.

1. space, my apartment is not huge and I have nowhere to keep them, most of my CDs are in boxes at my parent's house.

2. I do 99 percent of my music listening on my computer and ipod. If I had some sort of hi-fi audio system in my crib and time on my hands to chill the fuck out and play CDs, maybe I would.

I compensate, however, buy attending a shitload of shows and buying merch, even if it's not that dope, because I can at least use a shitty shirt to clean the car (if I had one), which again is more use than what I get out of having a CD in my life right now. When I buy a CD from a friend's band, for example, I will just rip it, look at the cover and booklet once, and put it in storage.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Last year I used to go weekly and grab random records, albums and the new albums I liked, but haven't bought more than maybe 25 albums.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

I get a lot of free promo stuff but I still like to buy CD's. I bought Roc Marciano and am going to buy the Roots and Curren$y sometime in the next week or so.

I definitely do not buy as much as I used to, but I still like to have a tangible product.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Death of music as merchandise.

LameAim

Post by LameAim »

I still buy new music these days but not as much as I used to.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Still buy everything I can on CD. I love being able to have the physical copy of the disc and the artwork in my hand. I've never bought anything from itunes.