The A&R Game #1

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

intuition wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I wasn't aware you fell out of love with the people on here.
quite the opposite dun. i would just rather be a poster here than a rapper here.
:larry:

:pause:

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

axel foley wrote:
KITFUNK wrote:Intuition:makes good use of alliteration (which is important to me)
:lol:
I don't get what's funny. Then again, I'm hetero.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

ICON, intuitio, and any other rapper who ends up in this fantasy league of ANR shitfest, please make note of who's making comments.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

so, real question with no bitterness in my heart whatsoever, merely curiosity and constructive crit in mind, for those that said i have limited/shitty content, or you feel like a homo listening to me, etc etc... from an a&r standpoint, what sort of topics would you like to see me covering?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ardamus wrote:ICON, intuitio, and any other rapper who ends up in this fantasy league of ANR shitfest, please make note of who's making comments.
Why so defensive? I think most comments about you have been pretty positive. You and iCON seem to be overlooking the overwhelming praise.

DLG

Post by DLG »

intuition wrote:so, real question with no bitterness in my heart whatsoever, merely curiosity and constructive crit in mind, for those that said i have limited/shitty content, or you feel like a homo listening to me, etc etc... from an a&r standpoint, what sort of topics would you like to see me covering?
you're doing exactly what you need to be doing, it's just not my thing.

Just like I've never gotten through an entire Atmosphere album, yet they are obviously doing something right.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ardamus wrote:ICON, intuitio, and any other rapper who ends up in this fantasy league of ANR shitfest, please make note of who's making comments.
Are you going to hunt us all down and leave a trail of man-rape destruction in your wake?

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

intuition wrote: from an a&r standpoint, what sort of topics would you like to see me covering?
until i hear 'hoes on my dick cause i look like a soccer hooligan' you're off my radar
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

intuition wrote:so, real question with no bitterness in my heart whatsoever, merely curiosity and constructive crit in mind, for those that said i have limited/shitty content, or you feel like a homo listening to me, etc etc... from an a&r standpoint, what sort of topics would you like to see me covering?
At this point none.

This is another example of why rappers should stay far away from message boards. It only leads to headaches and the loss of potential fans. You're a rapper from L.A. who is online essentially whining about what you perceive to be a lack of respect. Beyond that, why do you even care about what rap nerds on the internet are saying about you? If you bring vagina to venues and make music you like, does anything else matter?

Artistic Napoleon Complex, bro.

RAPPERS: DON'T USE THE INTERNET

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

I been sayin it for years.. if Michael King would spend money on beats instead of shoes his music would help em grow to greater heights. Chum is a friend of mine and i have done beats for Michael as as well... neither one of us is Jake One..

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Ardamus is busy at work constructing containment fences for all nonbelievers.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

but the internet is fun yo.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mansfield Status wrote:I been sayin it for years.. if Michael King would spend money on beats instead of shoes his music would help em grow to greater heights. Chum is a friend of mine and i have done beats for Michael as as well... neither one of us is Jake One..
We know that. He is paid and doesn't have tits.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

sean wrote:but the internet is fun yo.
You can say that because you have money in the bank.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Employee wrote:
Are you going to hunt us all down and leave a trail of man-rape destruction in your wake?
I told you I was gonna talk shit, Eddie Winslow. Read my second post in this thread.

So, will you advance me medicare coverage for wheelchairs or anonymous identity on the internet when I sign? Can I tour with Employer?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ardamus wrote:
Employee wrote:
I told you I was gonna talk shit, Eddie Winslow. Read my second post in this thread.

So, will you advance me medicare coverage for wheelchairs or anonymous identity on the internet when I sign? Can I tour with Employer?
:bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk: :bunk:

Last Comic Standing vs. Last Rapper Standing vs. Last Fence Standing

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

i think thread is a good idea.

keen the a&r would sign intuition and put him on the road with sean (whats up with that buy in sluggo), hire iCon to help me run my label (he knows the indie hustle inside and out) and give him $x to go and do his music on his own terms cause he will anyway. definite asset. not sure, from a marketing standpoint, what i would do with ardamus. im more familiar with tui and with iCon (PHILLY ETC) but he 100% has the skill level, just dont know how i'd sell him :killacam:

i would need to sit with some of his material and see what makes him stand out and ask that he focus on that niche.

love u all
tits

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:
Why so defensive? I think most comments about you have been pretty positive. You and iCON seem to be overlooking the overwhelming praise.
Again, its all shit talking. Don't think I'm not thankful for the praise, that's appreciated. But I'll be damned if I won't have a little fun in this thread at least. You shouldve known this would happen.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Employee wrote:Ardamus is busy at work constructing containment fences for all nonbelievers.
Kel's got my back (nh).

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Basing this exclusively off the 3 tracks posted this is how i see it, if i actually worked for a label:

Intuition: Like the track a lot. Especially the beat. If it was my label I would sign him as a secondary artist. Someone who if we connected him with the right artist could help build a fan base. If i didnt have this type of artist on the label already I dont know if I would sign him. I dont know if you can build a label with him but you can build him up if you are already established.

Ardy: Again good beat, the flow is pretty tight. the chorus killed it for me. Before anything you need a good beat and a good chorus. Half way there. I would need to hear more before I would offer him a deal. I might bring him into the studio to work with some of our people and see what we can make with some coaching. Have him open up locally for our acts and see if he resonates with the fan base.

Icon: Mike has a lot of potential. He comes across really well on the camera, very natural and a shows a bit of star possibility. He also shows that he might be the best rapper of the lot. I really didnt like the beat, and the other guy took the track way down, to the point that i had to skip his verse. I wouldnt have minded another verse of Mike to bring us back. I would probably want to combine the two top two ideas for mike. Bring him in, have him work with some of our people, on beats and collabos with some of our artists. Then we would need to get him on the road and on tracks with the right kind of headliner to help build up a base. My fear would be that mike can fall into a c-rayz type of career, which is unfortunately a bit aimless. But with the right push and the right artists for him to support he can do things.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

sean wrote:but the internet is fun yo.
but you can't tell a cowboy what to do.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

WORD TO KOOL MOE DEE.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Fuck if I know. I have a feeling there's a big market for your music in Europe. I kinda liked that song Phila posted so I played it for a few friends and they absolutely loved it, for what it's worth.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Intuition - I have never heard you rap, but I would sign you to my label and force you to make an Asher Roth-type bar song ("Finger Fucking With My Over 21 Wrist Bands On"?) and not promote your album. You would be on the first bus to the Warped Tour.

Ardamus- I have seen your attempt at an Asher Roth-type bar song and checked out a couple other tracks. Rapping is just kinda there. I can see the bork appeal. Nice guy. I would sign you to a lowball deal, make you turn Muslim and maybe do some songs with Sadat X. Maybe could do ok on 2dopeboys and tour with Lupe Fiasco (locally).

Icon- No idea. If you are making a living, keep doing it. Charismatic yet forgettable. A tough combo to pull off. Have fun. Just not on my dime.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

blastmaster wrote:Intuition - I have never heard you rap, but I would sign you to my label and force you to make an Asher Roth-type bar song ("Finger Fucking With My Over 21 Wrist Bands On"?) and not promote your album. You would be on the first bus to the Warped Tour.

Ardamus- I have seen your attempt at an Asher Roth-type bar song and checked out a couple other tracks. Rapping is just kinda there. I can see the bork appeal. Nice guy. I would sign you to a lowball deal, make you turn Muslim and maybe do some songs with Sadat X. Maybe could do ok on 2dopeboys and tour with Lupe Fiasco (locally).

Icon- No idea. If you are making a living, keep doing it. Charismatic yet forgettable. A tough combo to pull off. Have fun. Just not on my dime.

nobs

Post by nobs »

all rappers should make viral videos that have nothing to do with rap. and never rap again. rapraprap!

what?

Willie $krilla

Post by Willie $krilla »

all three of these artists are trash and aren't worth the money to market one of their albums

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Time to move on to new artists?

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

hessbz12 wrote:Time to move on to new artists?
I nominate me, keen, and rob sonic