The A&R Game #1

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

The A&R Game #1

Post by Philaflava »

New concept. Fun, fuck or fail, we'll see.

The idea is to pretend like we do everyday as if we're some authority on hip-hop. I'll be listing 3 rappers, some members and non-members.

I'll post a video of each artist to give you a taste of what they have to offer.

Pretend you're Lyor, Rick, Jimmy, Stevie Rif or some big wig Jew and critique said rapper. Don't just criticize, give honest feedback on how they can better themselves. If they "it" then say it. Would you sign them? What is it about them you like/dislike? This thread will only be as good as it replies.

To start I'll list 3 :phila: members and then moving forward I'll mix it up between established and unestablished rappers from all over.

Remember, this isn't target practice. Be honest with your answers, you might just fuck around and help somebody out too. An A&R will judge somebody from talent, appeal, style all the way to their hustle. Let's go!

Intuition
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EmxN0hZdUeA?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EmxN0hZdUeA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ardamus
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eefhKhsSa0Q?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eefhKhsSa0Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mic King
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfmhnf5MRHo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfmhnf5MRHo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

YOU ARE NOT COMPARING ARTISTS. YOU ARE THE FUCKING A&R WHO JUST HAS BEEN PRESENTED WITH THESE TALENTS ABOVE. SPEAK ON IT/

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

i really don't want to be involved in this thread.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

intuition wrote:i really don't want to be involved in this thread.
Lose the 'Faggot' tattoo, and get the state of Alaska on your back (like 50's back tat).

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

intuition wrote:i really don't want to be involved in this thread.
Not to sound insensitive, but fuck that. Nobody is above this thread, not Sean, not OME, not Alaska, not you. This isn't lambaste anyone. I think as long as you rap and put out music for people to listen to, then you have absolutely no right to censor the opinion of others about that music.

If you're afraid of comments then that's foolish. They may just be surprise you, god forbid even be helpful. If you think you're too good for something like this then guess again. I only started it off :phila: friendly to get things going, but you need to get past those hang-ups my friend. Even though you're apart of this, thread really ain't about you.

It's about giving the end-user the ability to A&R and provide valuable or invaluable information.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

not above it or too good at all, you're misinterpreting, just not wanting to see a thread full of the usual suspects ripping us to shreds.

i get it, i'm not a local PF favorite like i was for a couple months in '09, i'm just tired of being reminded every time i post.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

it woulda been so much better if you just said 'remove this thread homie'

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

intuition wrote:not above it or too good at all, you're misinterpreting, just not wanting to see a thread full of the usual suspects ripping us to shreds.

i get it, i'm not a local PF favorite like i was for a couple months in '09, i'm just tired of being reminded every time i post.
This will be my last reply about this because I truly would like this thread to happen, but I wasn't aware you fell out of love with the people on here. Who rips your music? Besides Emp not loving your last album I don't really recall any negative shit thrown your way. You sound real defensive though.

Eliminate Thun, Employee and Tommy and whatever you're fearing is probably all in the head. You really think this thread is about letting the dogs loose? It isn't, I assure you.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

first time seeing the al bundy video and song.

pretty dope actually.

shirtless shots very un-necessary.

mic king, drop the white guy you are way better than him.

ardamus you need more multis.

an intuition/mic king group could work.

:megaman:

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

Philaflava wrote:I wasn't aware you fell out of love with the people on here.
quite the opposite dun. i would just rather be a poster here than a rapper here.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Intuition - If he is capable of around a decade of Calfornia jams that feel as internationally accessible as "Al Bundy" and will tour 250 days out of the year, I'm signing him. He is a pure Slug derivative, but that is what pays. At least if you're an indie. Having a dude like that as your flagship artist has major potential. There's nothing wrong with his rapping, his content is weak as fuck though.

"Girls Like Me" is like listening to someone who is fixated on nothing but Atmosphere walking through Ant's brain first and then Slug's and emerging with globs of style semen to show for it. If you can make a slapping record filled with joints like "Al Bundy" twelve times, once-a-year, you're money. Beyond that, your aversion to criticism is totally unappealing and frames you in a weak filter indicating base insecurity that can't not bleed over into your music and overall conduct as an artist.

Ardamus - Dope rapper. No complaints concerning skill or delivery etc. But other than short-lived regional success, I honestly don't see him going anywhere. I've listened to him for several years now and he is one of those wallflower mawfuckas (nh). Sort of like rap fence-sitting, but worse because you are indistinguishable by charisma or presence etc. People I've played your music for generally become disinterested within half-a-minute. Others have gone on to buy some of your shit. But minus some gimmick, I think you've essentially run your course in terms of notoriety.

iCON - Constant minor leaguer who, again, has no problems with cadence, charisma or plain rapping. Is obviously capable of putting together albums and has a work eithic that is unstoppable. But for whatever reason, large numbers of people simply ignore him or are left unimpressed. Tremendous freestyler and lackluster vocal personality do not equal consistency. But this guy is as convinced as Mindbender he is going to make it and I would give him a shot based on that alone. If he had the right people with him, he would be a force to be reckoned with.

I also think he needs to ease up on the passive-aggressive shit and start gettin' at bitches. Decapitate Copywrite. Finish the job with a diss track so scathing the title becomes a catchphrase. Focus on albums and apply his DIY game to setting up his own tours in support of the albums and I'd sign him if he could do that once around, internationally, successfully.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Intuition - A maturing emcee who has practically done a 180 to his career. Has a cleaner and more confident flow. Simple, effective and knows how to cater to the demo he goes after. Has enough tools to be signed and should flourish into a bigger name in California. A combination of Ryu, Blu and Nick Hexum.

Pros - Can write a track. Has a few hits under his belt already. Shows promise with each release. Has good work ethics. Knows how to network and doesn't try and outdo his role.

Cons - White. Sometimes whiny. Limited subject matter. Limited lyrical ability. Sometimes too self-deprecating due to his insecurities.

Ardamus - An underrated talent. Has a very safe demeanor about him which isn't always helpful for his career. Basically, he caters to just 1 demographic. Because his music is safe, it can also be disposable. The key for him is separating himself from the million of post-Rawkus emcees. "Say To The Heart" is proof he knows how to write a track. He just needs to get an appealing personality and add some charisma so people have a reason to stay checking.

Pros - Dope lyricist. Good ear for beats. Easy to work with.
Cons - Lacks the output. Needs to open himself up on tracks. Needs a bit of an edge to his sound.

Mic King - I've said it before, he is one of the most charismatic dudes that happens to rap on this board. A really defined stage show and has the schtick that guarantees a few :ohsh: each show with that blindfold trick. Still lacks the ability to write a really great track. His albums fall flat. Seems to be uncomfortable in his flow at this time.

Pros - Charisma. Lyrically lyrical. Crazy drive. Tours an insane amount.
Cons - Suffering from Supernaturalitis. Needs to pick a style and stick with it.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

good grief.
here you go with your fantasy football ass posts again.

since I'm so bored and I'm tired of reading this "I know what you should be doing better than you" bullshit over and over here's what we'll do.

Philaflava (not just jigga gloss but all y'all know-it-all ass muhfuckas) will come to a general consensus of what I should do for a record and I will do it. As long as it doesn't cost me anything I will do what y'all say. We'll get a panel of how ever many of y'all cats are as serious about giving criticism for constructive purposes rather than just taking shots to feel better about your boring existence and I'll send you the songs as they are completed. Then I'll go through all the motions of sending it to all the labels, watching it get denied, then putting it out myself and watching people purchase less than 1000 copies until I hit the road.

and then y'all can shut the fuck up forever.

deal?

also this is my 2000th post.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:good grief.
here you go with your fantasy football ass posts again.

since I'm so bored and I'm tired of reading this "I know what you should be doing better than you" bullshit over and over here's what we'll do.

Philaflava (not just jigga gloss but all y'all know-it-all ass muhfuckas) will come to a general consensus of what I should do for a record and I will do it. As long as it doesn't cost me anything I will do what y'all say. We'll get a panel of how ever many of y'all cats are as serious about giving criticism for constructive purposes rather than just taking shots to feel better about your boring existence and I'll send you the songs as they are completed. Then I'll go through all the motions of sending it to all the labels, watching it get denied, then putting it out myself and watching people purchase less than 1000 copies until I hit the road.

deal?

Touche
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

:rofl: @ iCON. nuff said.

ardamus - find fanbase. throttle with music. get gangsta with your creative vision, and only make what you want to share with the world. ignore haters and destructive critics. never stop until you have reached your goals. then make new goals. create. repeat.

intuition - same advice, actually.

let me know if/when you guys come up with some good suggestions for me. i'm always game for a good larff.
it would be nice if those who think they know what i should do have actually listened to what i have made recently (aka "Jupiter").
you wanna suggest a marketing plan for that, or a label i can go with it? be my guest. i mean, Ninja Tune/Big Dada is one of the places i'm thinking. there are a few other movements i believe my energy would be a great contribution to. but whatevs.

oh, and:

rap is outta control
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i dunno, i kinda like this thread, i feel like it could be good if it doesnt devolve into a messageboard slapfight, lets see what niggas got to say, right, the first couple responses were cool

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

yeah everybody, just be cool: Uma Thurman/John Travolta style

eg: keenone is absolutely great at creating a cool ass new vibe but i humbly suggest she might need to diversify her emotional bonds a bit. I want to hear a wider variety of songs from her.

spread love its the :phila: way, the Moet and Alize keep me pissy
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:yeah everybody, just be cool: Uma Thurman/John Travolta style

eg: keenone is absolutely great at creating a cool ass new vibe but i humbly suggest she might need to diversify her emotional bonds a bit. I want to hear a wider variety of songs from her.

spread love its the :phila: way, the Moet and Alize keep me pissy

Stay on topic Mr. ADD.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

iCONtheMicKing wrote: Philaflava (not just jigga gloss but all y'all know-it-all ass muhfuckas) will come to a general consensus of what I should do for a record and I will do it. As long as it doesn't cost me anything I will do what y'all say. We'll get a panel of how ever many of y'all cats are as serious about giving criticism for constructive purposes rather than just taking shots to feel better about your boring existence and I'll send you the songs as they are completed. Then I'll go through all the motions of sending it to all the labels, watching it get denied, then putting it out myself and watching people purchase less than 1000 copies until I hit the road.

deal?

Cons (Update): Uncanny arrogance. Delusional self-entitlement.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Philaflava wrote: Cons (Update): Uncanny arrogance. Delusional self-entitlement.
thread is not about you.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

This exercise is all well and good, but I've been in the business of show for a long time, and what a good A&R does, this ain't. You've got to know the heart of the market and what sells, and then crank that up to ten before it gets unleashed on an unsuspecting populace. It ain't about what you personally like or what would make you buy a record--no one in the industry gives a flying fuck what a bunch of thirty-something man-children think about donkey dick. We're after your parents' money: that which they spend on themselves, and that which they spend on their grandchildren. You can make do with your weed vaporizers and Arrested Development DVDs, understand? Now on to the task at hand...

Intuition - Good shit for a cracker. I'm sure it makes the junior high school girls soak their fishnet stockings. But dude looks too much like an old hypoglycemic woman. Scrap the dude, have the lyrics rapped by a hot chick in a schoolgirl outfit, make sure all the camera shots are really low. Give the dude a ghostwriter's fee and tell him to hit the bricks. If he wants to negotiate, give him all the publishing he wants. None of his shit will ever get played on the radio or live for very long anyway.

ardamus - This guy is black but not quite black enough. We gotta turn up the black on him. I don't want to see another promotional shot of him that isn't taken at a crime scene or in some dilapidated housing project stairwell. Get him a wardrobe like that one dude in Juice, all suede bucket hats and army field jackets. Lyrically, he raps about black power. Exclusively. Real hard line Marcus Garvey separatist shit. But tell him not to mention Marcus Garvey, this isn't motherfucking social studies class. Okay so this guy eschews bling, but he carries a gun and shoots white people for living. Get this guy some neck tattoos too.

Icon the Mic King - Now this is a guy I would bring home to mother, god rest her soul. Actually, if I brought this guy into my mother's house, she'd probably have keeled over on the spot anyway. But the old birds of today love them a family rapper, no matter how checkered his past was. Give him the Snoop Dogg treatment: a wife, kids, a nice house to show off on MTV, and make sure he's seen hanging out with nice dudes like George Lopez and Wayne Brady. Get him a spot on The View, he can make hummus with Tony Danza or some bullshit. Oh god, this is the big one, we're gonna make a fortune on this kid. How old did you say he was? Jesus Christ! Okay, find his birth certificate and destroy it. This kid is twenty-four and I don't want to hear any differently.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I've got a song called "I Took A Shit In Your Mother's Mouth". Its on an unreleased album called "Fuck You, Faggot!". That should make me unsafe with an edge and black enough from here on out. Its time to get that iTunes platinum money. Thanks :phila: for your honest feedback.
Last edited by ardamus on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Thun

Post by Thun »

edit: Er, ardamus, I'm pretty sure that Reggie was satirizing the Mista Dobalinas of the world, as well as taking a nice sardonic shit on the thread's premise. I really doubt he was trying to cause you any offense.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I'm being sarcastic.

If I'm going to be volunteered for a thread again and take criticism, I might as well talk shit and joke with these muthafuckas.

Can I wipe my ass with whatever contract to make it an official signing?

Album on Shitfaced Records dropping Nevuary 3065.

Mestizo

Post by Mestizo »

intuition wrote:not above it or too good at all, you're misinterpreting, just not wanting to see a thread full of the usual suspects ripping us to shreds.

You have girls at your shows, nuff said.
http://twitter.com/MESTIZO125 www.myspace.com/mestizoid

"I'ma Pisces, but I'd rather be a killer whale..."

Nav

Post by Nav »

Mestizo wrote:

You make me wanna smoke when I hear "I love California", nuff said.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

DLG

Post by DLG »

intuition wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I wasn't aware you fell out of love with the people on here.
quite the opposite dun. i would just rather be a poster here than a rapper here.
but you still want to be able to promote your shit here though, right?

intuition is realistically one of the only rappers here that has a chance of blowing up on some indie level, though I really can't listen to his album much as a heterosexual man.

what ardamus does is pretty much what I do with my bands. Put out music, have some albums to show my kids one day, do cool shows, travel, meet cool people, do some touring, but not going to risk losing financial security in his life for chasing a pipe dream.

icon will do his thing until he no longer can, he will live off the road and have a fun time touring and hustling his shit, and will leave the game fulfilled and feeling good about himself regardless of what :phila: thinks of him, and never put out an album that will receive a shitload of praise in any circles that are outside of group of Romanian graffiti writers.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Mindbender Futurama wrote::rofl: @ iCON. nuff said.

ardamus - find fanbase. throttle with music. get gangsta with your creative vision, and only make what you want to share with the world. ignore haters and destructive critics. never stop until you have reached your goals. then make new goals. create. repeat.

intuition - same advice, actually.

let me know if/when you guys come up with some good suggestions for me. i'm always game for a good larff.
it would be nice if those who think they know what i should do have actually listened to what i have made recently (aka "Jupiter").
you wanna suggest a marketing plan for that, or a label i can go with it? be my guest. i mean, Ninja Tune/Big Dada is one of the places i'm thinking. there are a few other movements i believe my energy would be a great contribution to. but whatevs.

oh, and:

rap is outta control
Always trying to make the thread about you..

Anyways, what are Ardamus and Icon's best projects. I heard a handfull of songs from both, but a pm of their work would be nice.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

DLG wrote:what ardamus does is pretty much what I do with my bands. Put out music, have some albums to show my kids one day, do cool shows, travel, meet cool people, do some touring, but not going to risk losing financial security in his life for chasing a pipe dream.
this comment i do have alot of respect for. because its true to me.
there's reasons why alot of shit i've recorded i've never released you guys will never ever hear. if it wasn't problems with a group i was in or the situation surrounding it, it was me trying to making sure my life is right. and thats still the case. i can say over the years though, i kept doing the music and other doors have opened for me. some shit, i haven't even mentioned on here.

vermillion, hold on, i'll hit you with my full projects.......but in the meantime.....
since its lack of "newer shit" i've done, here's an album that i have a few featured songs on. i made a thread for this that none of you muthafuckas that are saying i need more material were in that thread. its an album called Royal's Tavern by my homie, Scottie Royal aka C Royal, where i'm featured on 4 songs by myself (towards the end of the album). i'm on the very 2nd song of this album, too. safety first music, biiiiyyyyyaaatttcccchhhhhhh.........

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="400" height="100" ><param name="movie" value="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer.swf/ ... ol=4285BB/" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><embed src="http://bandcamp.com/EmbeddedPlayer.swf/ ... ol=4285BB/" width="400" height="100" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" quality=high allowScriptAccess=never allowNetworking=always wmode=transparent bgcolor=#FFFFFF ></embed><noembed><a href="http://scottie-royal.bandcamp.com/album ... ">Showtime by Scottie Royal</a></noembed></object>

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Intuition:

Heard about him as an artist way before joining :phila: and was surprised to find out that he posts here. Was even more surprised to see all the hate he receives. The only reason for that that I can think of is because he was a member here before he put out an official project as an emcee. Because I was introduced to him as an artist first and a forum poster second, I think my opinion is a bit more unbiased because I don't know him on a "personal" level as the rest of :phila: does (nor do I have any desire to, no hate).

As an emcee, he has pretty much everything I'm looking for, nh. Lyrically he always comes correct. Uses multis, makes good use of alliteration (which is important to me), flow is hot, and actually has something to say. I thoroughly enjoyed all the projects he's put out and I own his first two albums on cd (again, bought them prior to joining the :phila:). Not to mention that he gets dope ass production.

So if I was an A&R I would sign him. As far as cons or things he can improve on. Well a few years ago I woulda said fix your voice, but he did that already, so I don't really have too much to complain about (and that gripe is pretty petty anyway. Very minor.). I like his artistic creativity and I enjoy his music as it is already and as long as he keeps spitting the same quality shit, I got no problems.

iCon:

I think I heard about him on some Brooklyn Ac shit and some other guest appearances, then a few years later my boy kept tryna put me on to his Mike & the Fatman LP.

My favorite shit he did was the joint with Jus. He's a dope writer, he can spit shit, as an A&R, I'd sign him. And throw him in with some better producers.

Again, not too much to complain about. He does his thing. I don't really listen to too much of him (no particular reason either), and I don't own any of his material, but he does what he does. I have no criticism for him. He does what he does well, and I'd sign him if I was an A&R cause I know a lot of people that really like him and I see the appeal (nh). As a fan however, I don't fuck with him much simply because there are billions and billions of emcees out there and I got a lot of favorites that I'd place above him.

Ardamus:

Heard about him on here and haven't really listened to much of his shit so I'm not really that exposed to him. But from what I have heard, I can tell he gets really dope production. If I listen to him it'll be for the production. Straight up. Same with that other :phila: cat, Big Scen.

Nothing really "bad" about Ardamus, just nothing that really sets him apart from any of the other emcees. Got a ill voice tho, nh.

Dunno who makes his beats, but if he does, I'd sign him.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

KITFUNK wrote:Intuition:makes good use of alliteration (which is important to me)
:lol: