DM A LINK YO :upload:

zombie

Post by zombie »

HAHAHAHAA

Damn.

I'll buy the album now.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Balzac wrote:kinda want to download the album now, just to delete it.
seriously. I was kinda hyped to check this and soon as I read that I was like "yo, fuck this guy."

Thun

Post by Thun »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:
Balzac wrote:kinda want to download the album now, just to delete it.
seriously. I was kinda hyped to check this and soon as I read that I was like "yo, fuck this guy."
It's a good album, don't be fucking dumb about this. It makes literally zero sense to deprive yourself of good music because its creator is a jerk on the internet. It sure didn't stop anyone here from jumping on the Kanye bullet train.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Just don't pay for it.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:Just don't pay for it.
I can understand why you and Drizzle wouldn't pay for it on principle, but I don't see why anyone else here should just follow your lead. He cussed at you in an email, he didn't rape, murder, and devour a busload of preschoolers.

It's probably a moot point, anyhow, since plenty of people here proudly refuse to pay for music by artists they respect/have sexual feelings for.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
I can understand why you and Drizzle wouldn't pay for it on principle, but I don't see why anyone else here should just follow your lead. He cussed at you in an email, he didn't rape, murder, and devour a busload of preschoolers.

It's probably a moot point, anyhow, since plenty of people here proudly refuse to pay for music by artists they respect/have sexual feelings for.
I had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. When I said I didn't know who he was I meant it. My response to him was just me sticking up for Drizzle as I would have done any of the bloggers on SB or TROY.

The guy was just a straight up asshole and the two emails I posted were just a glimpse of that. Surely nobody is boycott him like Sal's Pizza but dickheads like that sometimes don't deserve support. Not that I had any intention to listen to his art fag music, but I surely don't intend to shell out money on a person like that.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:

I had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. When I said I didn't know who he was I meant it. My response to him was just me sticking up for Drizzle as I would have done any of the bloggers on SB or TROY.

The guy was just a straight up asshole and the two emails I posted were just a glimpse of that. Surely nobody is boycott him like Sal's Pizza but dickheads like that sometimes don't deserve support. Not that I had any intention to listen to his art fag music, but I surely don't intend to shell out money on a person like that.
Yeah, I mean I said that I understand why you wouldn't pay for it. I just don't see what that has to do with Hacksaw or anyone else.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Maybe others don't feel like giving their hard earned money to a dickhead.

You don't think people deliberately downloaded an album from Sage or Kno after reading some of their antics instead of actually buying it?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:Maybe others don't feel like giving their hard earned money to a dickhead.

You don't think people deliberately downloaded an album from Sage or Kno after reading some of their antics instead of actually buying it?
That's their prerogative, not arguing that. And if Butterfly "deserves" anything, he deserves the risk of losing fans for acting like a jerk. Pretty sure we're in agreement here.

However, I don't personally don't think that he and his group are generally undeserving of support. That seems a little arbitrary to me, perhaps extreme, especially for those who have no actual personal stake in how the artist behaves outside of music. I don't really expect much out of musicians except to make good music. I still listen to the Future Sound album even though Dame Dash was a jerk to his employees on that Roc documentary.

Since the Shabazz Palaces album is very good, I want them to continue making more music. If that requires them to be rude to you and Drizzle, I'm sorry to say it, but that's worth it. I'm sure there are people here who think that Kno and Sage's music was too good to not support because they act up at message forums as well.

Will I buy this? I have to say that I probably will. It's one of the better albums of the year and I believe in buying music when it's good. I don't like how he communicated with you, but there's no way that he's the only rapper out there who comes off like a belligerent dunce in person.
::shrugs::

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Maybe others don't feel like giving their hard earned money to a dickhead.

That's their prerogative, not arguing that. And if Butterfly "deserves" anything, he deserves the risk of losing fans for acting like a jerk. Pretty sure we're in agreement here.

However, I don't personally don't think that he and his group doesn't deserve support. I don't really expect much out of musicians except to make good music. Since the Shabazz Palaces album is very good, I want them to continue making more music. If that requires them to be rude to you and Drizzle, I'm sorry to say it, but that's worth it. I'm sure there are people here who think that Kno and Sage's music was too good to not support because they act up at message forums as well.

Will I buy this? I have to say that I probably will. It's one of the better albums of the year and I believe in buying music when it's good. I don't like how he communicated with you, but there's no way that he's the only rapper out there who comes off like a belligerent dunce in person.
::shrugs::
Contrarian much? What I say isn't the gospel and I don't think there are legions of people following my ever word. What I said, like most things on the board were said in jest.

Do I wish death on him? No. Do I lose sleep over him? No. The point is, the online buying demo isn't as big as people think and when you come off like an asshole it surely is going to backfire. There may be 10 vocal posters in this thread, but 30 lurkers who feel exactly the same way I do.

People aren't buying that new :doom: shit for their reasons, maybe because he has been faking his live show for years. Whatever.

If Slug came on here acting a dickhead best believe he wouldn't have nearly as many supporters because that shit spreads like wildfire on the internet. You act a dickhead, you get labeled one. I didn't buy Kanye's album. I downloaded it though. Enjoyed it thoroughly but just didn't want to give him any of my money. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not, but it's the reality we live in. You download. I download. Everyone with a computer downloads. Deal with it.

Now as far as Ish goes, he is a dickhead. Will I ever listen to a Digable Planet song again? Sure the few that I liked. I just won't go out of my way to support people who act like that. If anyone wants to follow, well that's on them.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'm pretty sure you're getting umad at things I never said as well as points that we both agree on. I gave my reasons, and explained them clearly and reasonably, I'm not being contrary to start shit. How about we just drop it? I didn't pay for either of the Shabazz Palaces EPs so even if I pay for the LP, it all evens out.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The important question is: should we support Abstract Rude?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Depends on this thoughts about Canada.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:Depends on this thoughts about Canada.
Decriminalized weed, pretty black girls who talk and act white, and free welfare for artists?

I'm pretty sure he's pro-Canada.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
Decriminalized weed, pretty black girls who talk and act white, and free welfare for artists?

Even after the way Mindbender played him?

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I like the s/t EP so I bought it from Amazon.

Fuck these internet nice guy rappers like Atmosphere and MC UGK - rappers are supposed to be total dicks who issue out threats willy nilly online and I'm only disappointed that Butterfly didn't type his emails in all caps and title them REMOVE THAT SONG, CRACKA!

Also, the reason why you shouldn't support Kno, Sage, Immo Tech etc isn't because they act like jackasses on message boards, but because they all make really terrible music.
Last edited by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) on Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:

Even after the way Mindbender played him?
Cheapness knows no borders.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Thun wrote:

:lol:

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Ish - not showing much tact in his approach, which is a shame cuz I 've always been a big fan. I still play those Digable Planets LP's from time-t-time.
It's seems a little bit short cited to be concerned about a download link to one song, presumably the single, for an upcoming release, but the bigger picture for these artists, is the problem of diminishing sales (obviously) and you would have to think that some people will take that more seriously than others.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:

Yeah, I mean I said that I understand why you wouldn't pay for it. I just don't see what that has to do with Hacksaw or anyone else.
Seeing people act like dickheads make makes me not want to support their music, plain and simple. I know its not entirely logical, considering I have music by people who are scumbags and assholes in my collection, but certain shit turns me off to wanting to buy peoples shit and support them. This guys email makes him look like a cunty woman. I've met a few artists IRL that made me never want to buy anything they ever did because of it. I usually don't give Kanye's music a chance because of the colossal douche bag he is, and I could care a less to hear him rap ever again (not that I ever thought he was a good rapper, even prior to knowing he was a huge faggot). I'll still listen to someone else on his beats though. I still downloaded the Shabazz Palaces EP to check prior to this, still have intentions to listen to it, but I kinda hate artists that are little bitches about internet downloading - it sucks, but the game done changed...they need to accept it and adapt instead of crying like little girls...or get a legal team like Stones Throw. Tour, sell merch, make your packaging/artwork awesome so your record is worth buying, and don't seem like a huge dickhead, and if I love your record, I will probably buy your shit. It was the unprofessionalism of the email that really got me - all the guy had to do was simply ask for it to be taken down. I like artists who show a little humility, and at least pretend to like their fans. I don't listen to Dead Prez because I feel like they hate my cracker ass. So why would I support them, even if I've heard some good songs by them? I still buy vinyl and cds though, so I am a rare breed anyways, I bought the Dark Time Sunshine album just last night. So yeah, I will still download this and check it out, but chances are I won't be purchasing. I prefer the "listen before you buy" model, as a music buyer. If I love it, it will get copped. It sucks to be an artist this day and age, but hey, plenty of my friends can't eat off art either anymore - so I don't really give a fuck about whether Butterfly is starving or not.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:

Seeing people act like dickheads make makes me not want to support their music, plain and simple. I know its not entirely logical, considering I have music by people who are scumbags and assholes in my collection, but certain shit turns me off to wanting to buy peoples shit and support them. This guys email makes him look like a cunty woman. I've met a few artists IRL that made me never want to buy anything they ever did because of it. I usually don't give Kanye's music a chance because of the colossal douche bag he is, and I could care a less to hear him rap ever again (not that I ever thought he was a good rapper, even prior to knowing he was a huge faggot). I'll still listen to someone else on his beats though. I still downloaded the Shabazz Palaces EP to check prior to this, still have intentions to listen to it, but I kinda hate artists that are little bitches about internet downloading - it sucks, but the game done changed...they need to accept it and adapt instead of crying like little girls...or get a legal team like Stones Throw. Tour, sell merch, make your packaging/artwork awesome so your record is worth buying, and don't seem like a huge dickhead, and if I love your record, I will probably buy your shit. It was the unprofessionalism of the email that really got me - all the guy had to do was simply ask for it to be taken down. I like artists who show a little humility, and at least pretend to like their fans. I don't listen to Dead Prez because I feel like they hate my cracker ass. So why would I support them, even if I've heard some good songs by them? I still buy vinyl and cds though, so I am a rare breed anyways, I bought the Dark Time Sunshine album just last night. So yeah, I will still download this and check it out, but chances are I won't be purchasing. I prefer the "listen before you buy" model, as a music buyer. If I love it, it will get copped. It sucks to be an artist this day and age, but hey, plenty of my friends can't eat off art either anymore - so I don't really give a fuck about whether Butterfly is starving or not.
I agree that the unprofessionalism of the letter is off-putting.

That said, he might be somewhere thinking how unprofessional it is to put up music off an unreleased album without asking for permission.

People stealing music may be an unavoidable reality but it is no more incumbent on Butterfly to pretend to be fine with said theft/liberties taken by people he doesn't know, than it is for me be tolerant of the crackheads who continually break the lock on the front door to my building.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote: I can understand why you and Drizzle wouldn't pay for it on principle, but I don't see why anyone else here should just follow your lead. He cussed at you in an email, he didn't rape, murder, and devour a busload of preschoolers.

That said, he might be somewhere thinking how unprofessional it is to put up music off an unreleased album without asking for permission.

People stealing music may be an unavoidable reality but it is no more incumbent on Butterfly to pretend to be fine with said theft/liberties taken by people he doesn't know, than it is for me be tolerant of the crackheads who continually break the lock on the front door to my building.
Iג€™ll let Drizzle speak on it because he was the one who blogged it; however it was not an album, it was just one track. The album leaked and is all over the internet and anyone who knows how to use Google could find it.

The post was informative and allowed people who knew nothing about this project (myself) a taste. Whether or not he thought it was professional isnג€™t really the issue, itג€™s how you handle it. See, most people get songs from publicists, promo teams or various websites and post it. Most of the time there is absolutely no problems with doing that because people want the blogs to support them.

In this situation he didnג€™t even know his album leaked and he and his label donג€™t seem to have the greatest communication either. He was taken back by it being on the blog and turned into a humongous douche about it. Anytime somebody wants something removed from SB we remove it. Itג€™s never an issue.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:

Paragraph breaks.

You really think that Butterfly cussing out gloss directly is more cunty and womanly than Stones Throw hiring half of the tribe of Judah to hunt down anyone who even thinks about pirating their music? Weird set of values, if you ask me.

Fuck your music-making friends. They're wack, most likely.

Other than that, I have no problems with what you're saying. Opinions are like voices, some are deep and others are cunty and womanly, but that's the beauty of :phila:

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Philaflava wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote: I had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. When I said I didn't know who he was I meant it. My response to him was just me sticking up for Drizzle as I would have done any of the bloggers on SB or TROY.

Iג€™ll let Drizzle speak on it because he was the one who blogged it; however it was not an album, it was just one track. The album leaked and is all over the internet and anyone who knows how to use Google could find it.

The post was informative and allowed people who knew nothing about this project (myself) a taste. Whether or not he thought it was professional isnג€™t really the issue, itג€™s how you handle it. See, most people get songs from publicists, promo teams or various websites and post it. Most of the time there is absolutely no problems with doing that because people want the blogs to support them.

In this situation he didnג€™t even know his album leaked and he and his label donג€™t seem to have the greatest communication either. He was taken back by it being on the blog and turned into a humongous douche about it. Anytime somebody wants something removed from SB we remove it. Itג€™s never an issue.
Oh, I am sure. And I think that his emails were over the top and unprofessional. Being a jerk is rarely the best option available when dealing with people, period.

I was simply referring to the idea of "downloading music is how it works today, artists have no right to complain about people leaking or posting up albums/songs without permission" ethos espoused by the poster I quoted. I think that is bullshit. If he does not like it, he should feel free to say so, it is his art after all.

His tone and attitude are a different topic. But even on that end, if he feels that he is being disrespected then it is unsurprising that he reacted with disrespect.

Again, not saying that I think he handled it the right way at all. Quite the contrary.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Thun

Post by Thun »

^Also, he doesn't know Steady Bloggin' from jack. He went about it the wrong way but it's not like he could have known that Drizzle is just an immigrant with a heart of gold who loves hip hop like Lucien.

I've decided that I will pay for the album but I will refrain from promoting it in any way in my writing, since SB is our a-alike blog and he talked a little greasy there.
Last edited by Thun on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

irrelevant now but i don't give a fuck about posting this shit. you act a bitch you get called on it. the responses were before the ones i posted yest. night and day.
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 6:56 PM
To: steadybloggin@gmail.com
Subject: shabazz palaces

yo this is ish from shabazz palaces why the fuck are you posting songs from my album when you know shit dont come out for a while who the fuck you think you are shits mad disrespectful nigga have some fuckin respect you know thats wrong so i take it as blatant disregard for us whats your name bro?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:50 PM
To: Jasongloss@philaflava.com
Cc: Philaflava@philaflava.com
Subject: Shabazz Track on Steadybloggin.com

Hey, how are you doing? My name is Bekah and I handle Press for
Shabazz Palaces. I just saw that you posted something on Shabazz
Palaces (http://www.steadybloggin.com/) and wanted to Thank You for
the ink. However the track which you posted to accompany the piece "
Are you... Can you... Were you? (Felt)" we have not given out as a
free download and thus am writing to ask you to take it off the site
immeadiately.

You are more than welcome to post the track "An echo from the hosts
that profess infinitum" which you can pull here: www.subpop.com/artists/shabazz_palaces

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Bekah

Thun

Post by Thun »

LOL, you know you're over the top when an Israeli writes more courteously than you do.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Thun wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote: I can understand why you and Drizzle wouldn't pay for it on principle, but I don't see why anyone else here should just follow your lead. He cussed at you in an email, he didn't rape, murder, and devour a busload of preschoolers.

Paragraph breaks.

You really think that Butterfly cussing out gloss directly is more cunty and womanly than Stones Throw hiring half of the tribe of Judah to hunt down anyone who even thinks about pirating their music? Weird set of values, if you ask me.

Fuck your music-making friends. They're wack, most likely.

Other than that, I have no problems with what you're saying. Opinions are like voices, some are deep and others are cunty and womanly, but that's the beauty of :phila:
I'm not saying that Stones Throws move isn't cunty and womanly, but it certainly makes it harder for people to steal their shit on the internet. (Not that I still haven't downloaded Stones Throw releases). He should leave that shit to the label, or if he's personally gonna handle internet leaks, learn how to write an email.

In terms of my music making friends, I was mainly referring to non hip hop friends who had full-time careers in music for over a decade who certainly aren't wack. Plus I've pretty much spent my entire life pursuing creative/art/music related hobbies (while working a regular job and going to school), since I was a kid, so I don't sympathize easily. And in terms of my hip hop friends, you've actually written a glowing review of one of my good friends albums in the past. All I meant by that is to say that it sucks to see really talented people not have a lot of room to pursue their arts these days - but I guess it all goes back to how much you love it and are willing to put into it - but todays climate is especially demotivating - myself, I was never willing to take the risks associated with living the life of an artist, and maybe never talented enough to have full-on opportunity to do so - but some people I know are, and still aren't able to make it.

Anyways, I'm done ranting on this, and I agree, at the end of the day, it is HIS music, but he's trippin' if he thinks that Steady Bloggin' is the source of all his downloading problems.

Thun

Post by Thun »

OH WOW NON HIP HOP FRIENDS

What review? Are you friends with K Def and Larry O?