Butterfly has a record deal

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
I was simply referring to the idea of "downloading music is how it works today, artists have no right to complain about people leaking or posting up albums/songs without permission" ethos espoused by the poster I quoted. I think that is bullshit. If he does not like it, he should feel free to say so, it is his art after all.
I don't think I ever said that artists don't have a right to complain. Complain all day. But music downloading is not going to change anytime soon, so my point is, unless they have a legal team like Stones Throw, they are not really fighting a winning battle. You can still find Stones Throw shit to download if you are clever. They just make it a bit harder. If he plans on writing letters to every blog who posts his music, he might want to write a template out and think about what hes going to say first. And it should start with something like "I appreciate your support for my music, but..", not "I dont give a FUCK if you like my music, nigga, who the FUCK are you".

And like I said in my posts, I prefer to support by buying physical copies of albums I really enjoy, and encourage others to do the same. Artists should be paid for their work. But complaining about a song getting posted on a blog which served to promote his music is pretty hilarious when there are plenty of blogs who will be posting NOTHING about the album other than a link to download the entire thing for free.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Ish's email seems like it may have been sent via 2-way.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Thun wrote:OH WOW NON HIP HOP FRIENDS

What review? Are you friends with K Def and Larry O?
You wrote a review of my friend Kid Hum's Fossil Fuel album promoting it.

And by "non hip hop friends" (agreed, that sounds a little corny it retrospect, but you know exactly what I was getting at) I am referring to my friends who are musicians who make punk rock, metal, etc. My only point is I have surrounded myself with artists my whole life, and I have friends who've toured the world off their music and been signed to labels and had videos on mtv2, etc. Just save the condescending attitude, you know what I am getting at, I'm not bragging, I'm not trying to sound cool, I'm just trying to make my point.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Hacksaw Jim Thuggin wrote:
Thun wrote:OH WOW NON HIP HOP FRIENDS

What review? Are you friends with K Def and Larry O?
You wrote a review of my friend Kid Hum's Fossil Fuel album promoting it.

And by "non hip hop friends" (agreed, that sounds a little corny it retrospect, but you know exactly what I was getting at) I am referring to my friends who are musicians who make punk rock, metal, etc. My only point is I have surrounded myself with artists my whole life, and I have friends who've toured the world off their music and been signed to labels and had videos on mtv2, etc. Just save the condescending attitude, you know what I am getting at, I'm not bragging, I'm not trying to sound cool, I'm just trying to make my point.
Actually, Kid Hum wrote a piece about the samples he used for an album which we published. That was cool of him to do, don't get me wrong, but don't go attributing no glowing reviews to me, akh. I did recommend the album as a good example of instrumental stuff that doesn't get boring, though.

Also, you're way overthinking things here.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

music
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I have a lot of musician friends who are doper than Kid Hum (he'd agree). I stay away from wack mawfuckaz, nawmeean gawd?

And yeah, probably over thinking, for sure. Anyways, I've made my point. I'm gonna check the album anyways.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Depends on this thoughts about Canada.
Decriminalized weed, pretty black girls who talk and act white, and free welfare for artists?

I'm pretty sure he's pro-Canada.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

as far as me being unprofessional: :rofl:

seriously though...

i dl'ed an album,i liked it a lot, that song in particular, wanted to blog it simply for that reason

i understand 100% how to him this might seem as a dick move, and i undertsand 100% why he would want it removed, and how my motivations for doing it from his perspective mean absolutely nothing.

but none of that changes the fact that he handled the situation like a sandy vagina, even though i understand why he would be a sandy vagina about it. i'd have more respect for him if he threated to send goon trannies to my house or soemthing, instead of throwing a hissy fit

Post by 360 »

What confuses me is the fact that he has song titles like "An echo from the hosts that profess infinitum", yet he types like a 16 year old internet blood.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^lol
I was thinking the same thing.

Thun

Post by Thun »

You find that odd and you're posting at a forum filled with trillionaire whigger thug foodies?

zombie

Post by zombie »

drizzle wrote:as far as me being unprofessional: :rofl:

seriously though...

i dl'ed an album,i liked it a lot, that song in particular, wanted to blog it simply for that reason

i understand 100% how to him this might seem as a dick move, and i undertsand 100% why he would want it removed, and how my motivations for doing it from his perspective mean absolutely nothing.

but none of that changes the fact that he handled the situation like a sandy vagina, even though i understand why he would be a sandy vagina about it. i'd have more respect for him if he threated to send goon trannies to my house or soemthing, instead of throwing a hissy fit
I wonder how this would all have gone down had he responded to your blog posts in a respectful, non belligerent, cohesive manner.

With that being said, I think his response towards you posting a song from his leaked album was pretty awesome.

Maybe we all caught him on a bad day. Or maybe he is just really sensitive on the whole "leak albums months before it's supposed to drop" situation.

Either way, to add to what Thun was saying a page or so back, it doesn't and shouldn't really affect anyone here, and everyone should still listen to the album and form their opinion on that.

And if we're going to base our opinions off how rappers act, then lets all just jump ship and go listen to pussy ass faggoty indie rocker with no balls.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

<object width="400" height="225"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id= ... y=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="225"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/22920255">Shabazz Palaces - Blast It (from the Village Beat film, Tough Bond)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/subpop">Sub Pop Records</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

any loosies out there aside from barksdale corners and lost foundling?

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:any loosies out there aside from barksdale corners and lost foundling?
Good question. Try emailing him directly.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lololol dick

Versive

Post by Versive »

All that being said, this album IS dope.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Versive wrote:All that being said, this album IS dope.
Easily my favorite from this year so far.

Versive

Post by Versive »

i've learned over the years that you can't really get mad when your favorite artists turn out to be total assholes.

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

:lastweek: but, interesting interview with Ish at Pitchfork:

http://pitchfork.com/news/38708-rising-shabazz-palaces/

Pitchfork: At first, you were reluctant to do this interview. Why do you prefer not to do interviews?

Palaceer Lazaro: We all feel, that this new era, this contentual era-- where content drives information-- is not interesting. It's not unique. None of the questions that are usually asked are very revealing. And also, it's difficult to really represent something as ethereal as what goes on, what becomes the music you make, and then try represent that in that Q&A form. We find that it's always more interesting when people, if they like your music, just go off on their own thing, just say what they think, instead of asking us about it. We've been leaving it up to writers and people that listen to the music, blogs and shit, to say whatever they want to say about it.

Pitchfork: So the music speaks for you more than an interview would?

PL: Sure.

Pitchfork: How do you hope to gain new listeners for your music?

PL: I just like the idea of earning a fan, a listener, an ear, a mood, a heart, rather than being placed in front of somebody with some sort of pre-determined outlook-- for someone to either adapt or not adapt based on what has been pushed on the plate in front of them. It also serves to help us, longevity-wise, when you have a slow grind. You know everything you gained along the way belongs to you. It's a genuine thing. It also allows us to be a little bit more concentrated, intimate with the people that dig us. We appreciate that slow roll.

Pitchfork: Who's in the group with you?

PL: Well, everybody that's in it is in it the same. We don't really say names, who did what. It's just really, really, really just about the final product, the songs. That's really it. That's why we don't really talk about it. There's no credits on the album-- no who did what, when, where, and why because we just don't feel like that's the point.

Pitchfork: How did you decide start making music like this?

PL: Everyone that's involved is artists and musicians. It's something that, whether you're actively doing it at that time or not, it's always on your mind. You're always relating life to what you do. We always make music; doing it together was something that seemed right at the time. It's difficult to even be able to chronicle it because it wasn't a super-duper conscious decision. Obviously, once you start making songs, pressing them up and doing artwork and stuff, it is. It was more natural than it was concerted. We just put it all into the music.

Pitchfork: The music isn't super constructed. Most rap songs seem to follow a similar blueprint: 16 bars, chorus, 16 bars, chorus. Your music tends not to progress that way. It tends to follow its own tangents and its own logic.

PL: Yeah. Well, it should, don't you think? It's hard to believe that most people subscribe to formulas, especially when it's not a requirement-- especially nowadays, when a lot of cats are putting their own shit out but still they feel it's necessary, due to a certain amount of indoctrination or programming. "Hey, this is the way you have to do it in order to be successful." We just have different views on all that kind of stuff. Not to say that we don't appreciate all of those kinds of music when they're good, but we don't really subscribe to that kind of formulaic thing. That's difficult to do and be successful, too, with all due respect to the pop artists. It's not an easy thing to do. In some ways, it's a little easier to do the way that we do it, but it just makes for a richer, more satisfying experience for us-- to be the way that we are without really knocking nobody else's hustles.

Pitchfork: You're also a member of Digable Planets, so you've actually had experience in that pop realm.

PL: Sure.

Pitchfork: Digable Planets were certainly not a straight up pop-rap group in any sense, but is that above-ground realm something you're consciously moving away from? You have had videos in rotation on MTV, and that doesn't seem like something you're striving for with Shabazz Palaces.

PL: Yeah, but I'm not striving against it either. The music isn't going to be something that is dictated by a bunch of other people that are holding the purse-strings and then feel like they have the right-- which they do if they're doing that-- to dictate the direction that you move in. That's the only thing. We're just not tripping on that kind of success.

Pitchfork: How do you relate what you do with Digable Planets to what you're doing with Shabazz Palaces? Is it two completely distinct things?

PL: It's just like how you would choose to wear something to an event. You're going to want to express your personal style, but at the same time there's a context. Whatever the event is, that dictates how you gonna get suited and booted. It's not separate. It's still me. It's still the same thing, but it's with different people, with different goals, with different history. It's hard to pin it down to a concise explanation.

Pitchfork: Shabazz Palaces don't have a MySpace page. Is there a specific reason why not?

PL: No, not really. It just didn't really suit our style. I mean that in a very literal sense. Nobody that we fuck with in the group is really the dude to really be on that-- maintaining it, updating it, designing it. It just didn't suit our taste. It was not like we were acting against it in any way.

Pitchfork: What about touring? Is that something you're interested in doing?

PL: Definitely. We want to broaden the scope of the music and get as many people to hear it, to have an opportunity to make a decision and hopefully dig it, if that's possible. A lot of people think this is some kind of conscious effort to be mysterious. Not really. It's just that we've got a different set of beliefs, experiences, and desires in terms of what success is. It's not a negative reaction to the way things are, really. It's just a personal choice for the cats that are involved.

Pitchfork: How then would you describe success with this particular project?

PL: Appreciation, you know? And with that comes material success too. Cats aren't really greedy though. Cats are more humble and have realistic expectations.

Pitchfork: Are you going to put out more music any time soon?

PL: Yeah. The next two ones are in the gun right now. They'll be done soon. We're working on that all the time.

Pitchfork: Are you going to continue to release records in twos?

PL: Perhaps. Nothing's really been decided. It just all happens on how they get done, what the succession is going to be. It isn't something that we've already thought about yet. I can't really say with any accuracy, but we're working on stuff every day. We're ready to get it out and get it completed. Along with that, the artwork is a big thing too. We let guys get their shit off on that, and then we got video cats that we're ready to get going, too.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

how is shabazz places live? gonna be in seattle for the next few days (james blake show tonite).. and found out about this
Celebrate Ballardג€™s victory in KEXPג€™s Hood-to-Hood Challenge on Friday, May 20th. Festivities include an all-day broadcast from The Sunset, a gallery of KEXP photography, live music from Shabazz Palaces and David Bazan, special afternoon acoustic performances at Cupcake Royale and more! Activities also include KEXP DJs spinning live, discounts at local businesses and a food drive for the Ballard Food Bank.

THE SUNSET TAVERN LIVE BROADCAST 6:00am - 9:00pm
with live DJ sets from John Richards, Cheryl Waters, Kevin Cole & Shake the Shack w/ Dr. Leon Berman

7:00am - David Bazan
9:00am - Yuni In Taxco
11:00am - Point Juncture, WA
1:00pm - Buffalo Tom
3:00pm - Joan As Police Woman
5:00pm - Shabazz Palaces
6:30pm - The Black Crabs
8:30pm - Marshall Scott Warner

THIS BROADCAST IS FREE, ALL-AGES AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
http://blog.kexp.org/blog/hood-to-hood-2011/

obvs a no-brainer consider it's free. just curious about any opinions on their show (or if anyone knows of any of the other acts)

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

im feeling this shit. thx for postin

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/67cx9M2c51M?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/67cx9M2c51M?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

did anybody get the retail? is it any different from teh leak?

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

drizzle wrote:did anybody get the retail? is it any different from teh leak?
A few bonus tracks on the iTunes release is all I know.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

aww shit i need that

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

#LatePass (just read the thread too, woops)

This shit is great.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah it's pretty awesome, maybe even aoty contender if ur into this kind of thing. if you like this you should check out ethereal's abstractica too, at its best it falls somewhere between modern day shabazz and digable planets of yore (there's other stuff in the mix too there, but i'm just keeping it relevant to this convo)

just checked my phone loaded with the leak against the track times on emusic, looks like there are some small differences here and there.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

drizzle wrote:yeah it's pretty awesome, maybe even aoty contender if ur into this kind of thing. if you like this you should check out ethereal's abstractica too, at its best it falls somewhere between modern day shabazz and digable planets of yore (there's other stuff in the mix too there, but i'm just keeping it relevant to this convo)

just checked my phone loaded with the leak against the track times on emusic, looks like there are some small differences here and there.
I'm a Digable/Butterfly fanboy. I just fired up the Ethereal stream and I'm already sold! :cheers:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yeah i love that one

it was free when i posted it on steadyb, but for some reason there's not even an option to buy via bandcamp anymore. weird