Did you buy this when it was hot in the streets?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Did you buy this when it was hot in the streets?

Post by Employee »

HHI Presents: Fishin' In Troubled Waters

1. mcenroe f/ Birdapres - "One More Tomorrow"
2. FuseONE - "Trail Of Despair"
3. Mars ILL - "My Life "
4. Logic - "Dull Day"
5. Lost One - "Suicide Diaries"
6. Pip Skid - "I Rap, You Listen"
7. iCON the Mic King - "Insight"
8. JAQ* - "Testament"
9. Genelec & Memphis Reigns - "Ground Zero"
10. Unseen, The - "Beyond Addiction"
11. Paradigm - "Freedom Fighters"
12. Soso f/ Epic - "Blessed"
13. Erosadis - "Rotten Apple"
14. Starving Artists Crew - "Transitions"

Soso ft. Epic - "Blessed"
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/usKOzft8zBo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/usKOzft8zBo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

iCON the Mic King - "Insight"
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YP9R9gLKt7I?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YP9R9gLKt7I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I actually pulled this out last week and listened to it for the first time in years. The JAQ song is still good.

:rofl: @ The Unseen.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Seriously though, THIS shit was fucking dope:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

promo copy (cause i got it like that)

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

im still butthurt i wasn't on this
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

The cover for this owned.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Emp, you wouldn't happen to have the "Foolblown" compilation, would you?
That shit had some great songs on it.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:Emp, you wouldn't happen to have the "Foolblown" compilation, would you?
That shit had some great songs on it.
Yeah, that was one of the first times I heard an Aesop track. Some bangerz on there. I'll look for the tape.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I think I got the CVE song from there somewhere in my Itunes. And the Illogic song was insane on that shit.

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

I will upload Foolblown today if you want it

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^Please do. :cheers:

Thun

Post by Thun »

wow, haven't heard that foolblown! joint in a minute! That was a compilation put out by those ATAK guys, right?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^Yup. I forget the dude who ran the site's name but he was a nice guy...until he ripped off a bunch of people and shut down shop.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:^Yup. I forget the dude who ran the site's name but he was a nice guy...until he ripped off a bunch of people and shut down shop.
P-Minus?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Was ATAK the store that was like 90% Anticon shit? It might have been located in the Bay too if I'm not mistaken.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:
Blockhead wrote:^Yup. I forget the dude who ran the site's name but he was a nice guy...until he ripped off a bunch of people and shut down shop.
P-Minus?
That sounds right.
THey closed down and owed mad people Cd's and $$$$. Not that that is at all uncommon for those types of sites from that era.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

P-Minus was a nice cat the few times I saw him at shows in SF and bought tapes from his table. A long time ago Murs punched him in the face and apparently made him look quite the bitch. From there on out, ATAK refused to sell any Murs product. I don't know what the situation is now. But if you lived in California when it happened, IT WAS FUCKING EPIC.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Foolblown guy is a totally different cat. Someone from Texas. Mexcian guy. After he went into hiding, CVE made several HIGHLY threatening posts on various message boards demanding their money.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:The Foolblown guy is a totally different cat. Someone from Texas. Mexcian guy. After he went into hiding, CVE made several HIGHLY threatening posts on various message boards demanding their money.
Oh shit! you're totally right. What was that dudes name? I used to sell him "Music for earthworms" and "appleseed" cd's in bulk (10 at a time).

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:
Employee wrote:The Foolblown guy is a totally different cat. Someone from Texas. Mexcian guy. After he went into hiding, CVE made several HIGHLY threatening posts on various message boards demanding their money.
Oh shit! you're totally right. What was that dudes name? I used to sell him "Music for earthworms" and "appleseed" cd's in bulk (10 at a time).
I actually think it's Jason.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

lol, yeah I had that sampler too, came in a purple slim case.

HHI review wrote:Fishin' In Troubled Waters
(2001, HHI-Recordings) CD: $13.50 @ The HHI Store
"Are you guys gonna review your own product? Or is that gonna be like Nintendo Power reviewing NES games?"-- iCON the Mic King
Disclaimer: Below is an HHI review for an HHI released product. The author of this review had little/ no involvement in the making of this release. For a list of other, independent reviews, as well as fan feedback, click HERE.

Unlike most album titles, Fishin' In Troubled Waters, the name of Hip Hop Infinity's compilation record, may give rise to some sort of cogitation. Maybe it refers to the album's supposed target audience: People willing to wade through often times discouraging amounts of wack music to reach that one shining gem amongst all the trinkets. Or possibly it hints at the independent artists that the album represents: Individuals who choose to travel the extra mile, and make sacrifices for the art they are so fond of. Or perhaps this is simply the record Jay Seagraves likes to bump while fishing on Lake Michigan.
To put it plainly, Fishin' In Troubled Waters is damn solid. After hearing the strong opener "One More Tomorrow" be followed by quality track after quality track, you may wonder if the compilation ever hits a true low-point. Naturally, that moment does eventually come, but considering the varying backgrounds the featured artists come from, it's respectable how compact and consistent a record Fishin'... is. In addition, choosing to keep the artist roster comparatively devoid of underground heavyweights seems to have been a good choice, with the record's coherence in mind.
Starting with the worst, "Rotten Apple" by Erosadis may well be the only distinct weak link on the compilation. His emotional lyrics dealing with the father he never had, and the sufficient instrumentation are the saving grace of the joint, as the drums and especially his delivery are severely lacking. Also, while certainly nowhere near a bad song, Paradigm's delivery on "Freedom Fighters" is unfortunately stale-- which is truly a shame, because the self-produced instrumental is definitely nice, and Paradigm's socially conscious rhymes are exceptional. Some may front on "Blessed," because of Epic's unconventional way of conveying his words, but more open-minded listeners will undoubtedly cherish this heartfelt song.
In addition to "Blessed," "One More Tomorrow" and "I Rap, You Listen" assure that Canadian hip hop is properly represented. Though both feature typically dope production from mcenroe, the latter is the tighter of the two thanks to Pip Skid's passionate contribution. Also, for some more non-US flavor, Norwegian producer Leprechaun combines with iCON the Mic King on "Insight" for praiseworthy results.
The real stand-out tracks on Fishin' in Troubled Waters must be "My Life" and "Dull Day." The duo of Mars ILL have obtained a mass of acclaim in underground circuits, and "My Life" shows no reason to cut down on the praise. DJ Dust's soulful guitar loop is plain dope, and soulheir the ManCHILD grabs the mic with a sense of vigor, and refuses to drop a meaningless rhyme. Logic, whose merits may not be as heralded as Mars ILL's, reaches at least an equally high level of dopeness with "Dull Day." The beat is simply head-noddable, and Logic's slice of life lyrics manage to capture the frustrations of a young man. The chorus is remarkably well-crafted, too: you'll have the hook stuck in your head for hours-- guaranteed.
The remainder of Fishin'... is all pretty much solid. "Suicide Diaries" sports a dope horn sample that even Pete Rock might be jealous of, and pensive rhymes a la Slaughterhouse V's Lost Won. FuseONE's somber "Trail of Despair," JAQ's nostalgic "Testament," and the album's sole battle track, "Ground Zero" by Genelec & Memphis Reigns, are equally fresh, and tracks by The Unseen and Starving Artists Crew deserve a mention, as well.
In the field of compilations, Fishin' In Troubled Waters is just about as good as it gets. The common stumbling-stone this type of albums tend to have; too many previously heard songs, is avoided with success, and no song really seems out of place. Although a few cuts aren't exclusives, it would be quibbling to kvetch: The sense of perpetuity the record has is undamaged. Fishing in troubled waters might be risky, but that whopper you could catch may just be worth the hazard.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Hilarious review. Incredible, really.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Blockhead wrote:. And the Illogic song was insane on that shit.
Yeah "Verbage" was a hidden Bonus track on the "Celestial Clockwork" Album.

YOUNGMOE

Post by YOUNGMOE »

lol@ p-minus...damn haven't heard that name in ages
and block are you thinking of Shane from Below The Surface?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

YOUNGMOE wrote:lol@ p-minus...damn haven't heard that name in ages
and block are you thinking of Shane from Below The Surface?
Nah, it was some Texas guy named Jason like Emp said. I forget his last name though.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Unlike most album titles, Fishin' In Troubled Waters, the name of Hip Hop Infinity's compilation record, may give rise to some sort of cogitation

ROFL

YO, THAT TITLE HAD ME COGITATIN'

hahahahahahahah

can't/don't want to read past that. COGITATION YO. I BE MEDITATIN AND THINKIN LONG AND HARD (NH) ABOUT THAT TITLE MAN. FISHIN IN TROUBLED WATERS...THE COMPLEXITIES OF THE JUXTAPOSITION OF THOSE EXACT, SPECIFIC, PARTICULAR WORDS

FUCKIN MINDBLOWIN
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

P.S. i bought that shit and dug 'insight' and a couple others

p.p.s. this had a record which really was the precursor to provinical park lands, jasper national

if you replace the word 'dad' with i dunno, 'environment' or something, shit works yo (on the epic track duh)
Nets 2022

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

mcenroe is one the best hip-hop producers to come out of Canada. His record label Peanuts and Corn records have released some dope hip-hop over the years. They're kinda like the North of the border Anticon in some ways. Which is a good or bad thing. :)

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H1ZKBcxoRVw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed>

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

P-Minus is a real good dude but a little wierd, Atak is still around www.truehiphop.com. After Murs mollywhopped him he was nowhere to be seen at any Living Legends related events and moved to LA a while later.

Anyway here is the Fool Blown presents Inside Out compilation:
http://www.mediafire.com/?0f0e7fb32p7y7vb
There are some gems on here. Let me know if the rip is good.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

GhostDog wrote:His record label Peanuts and Corn records have released some dope hip-hop over the years. They're kinda like the North of the border Anticon in some ways. Which is a good or bad thing. :)
every last rapper/producer/dj associated with p&c would likely take issue with that comparison :lol: