RIP Eyedea

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Just make a deadpool thread in P&B period. Assholes can go post in there with the gloves off anytime anyone dies. Anyone who goes in there would be knowing what to expect.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

As I said a thread in pandb to talk shit would be fine, then you opened your mouth.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Trademark wrote:As I said a thread in pandb to talk shit would be fine, then you opened your mouth.
Oh ok.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Thun wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Thun wrote:before this gets locked or modded or what have you, I'd like to point out that GURU's death threads were filled with people making bad puns, tasteless remarks, and wild speculation, and somehow the apocalypse didn't ensue.
The difference would be that there are maybe one or two people on the board, if that, who had a relationship with Guru. Eyedea was not that far removed from many people's circles here.

Also, Guru made a descent into near villainy as a result of his relationship with Solar towards the end, there was no "Eyedea is acting like a batshit crazy maniac and is being controlled by some no name producer who came outta nowhere and destroyed the RSE family".
:larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: / :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry: :larry:
What's so hard to believe here?

The Gangstarr legacy was definitely tarnished as a result of all of the Guru/Solar fuckery towards the end. It is also a lot easier to humanize and identify with a young adult just getting over with the arts than it is a certifiable Hall Of Famer who has seemingly wasted his opportunities to make more legendary music.

Here, in this thread, you have people recounting personal memories of their interactions with a very accessible artist. An artist that some members of this board/community are genuinely quite close to.

IDAL's baiting is quite obvious and blatant, but it is hard for me to believe you don't see the difference here.

Knoxx

Post by Knoxx »

RIP
Thanks for the uploads Jaz, though the "Pushing Buttons" and "Architects Theme" links both go to "Even Shadows Have Shadows" page, unless I'm tripping..

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

IDAL, this is not one of your triumphant moments of exposing Killer Ben or buying butless jean chaps in Japan. Either show the dude respect or fuckin' kick rocks. I don't give a fuck if you heard of him or didn't. You click preview before you click submit and wonder if this a smart decision or not. You fucked up.

Thun, no one cares about whatever point your trying to make of the reactions to GURU compared to how they react to how Eyedea. And no :larry:s in here about him being connected to people's circles. He helped some good friends of mine out on tour. Maybe not to you its a big deal because I know you could give a fuck really but that speaks a great deal to me and some others on here. Don't give a damn if it is the internet and you need steam to blow-off. Either show respect or leave.

Thank you both for allowing this thread to be locked. Until this dumb shit stops, I'm not opening it back up. :lock:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Wanna have more of your jokes take it to P&B.
http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 83#2219883

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

zombie

Post by zombie »

well, time to lock the topic again

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

this dude's lyrics gained a thousand-fold meaning now.
truly immortal hip hop brilliance, Eyedea.

thank you. enjoy your escape from this crazy planet, homie. we'll love your music forever

peaceful love
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

Mindbender, could you please explain how his music lyrics are more meaningful now that he's dead?

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

THREAD IS STILL ABOUT EYEDEA

I honestly havn't thought about much else since I heard.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

odium-LSC wrote:Mindbender, could you please explain how his music lyrics are more meaningful now that he's dead?
He means the context.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

vinylpops wrote:
odium-LSC wrote:Mindbender, could you please explain how his music lyrics are more meaningful now that he's dead?
He means the context.
thank you.

in case you missed it the first time:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9J8fu_p1DwI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9J8fu_p1DwI&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

this is what i live to hear. fuck the bullshit, this is eternal artistry.

"i know you feel alone but just look up at the stars/ and everything that is out there is what you really are"

be good, y'all.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I never personally enjoyed his music but no one should die that young and I truly feel for his family and hope they find a way to move through this. Rest in peace.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Knoxx wrote:RIP
Thanks for the uploads Jaz, though the "Pushing Buttons" and "Architects Theme" links both go to "Even Shadows Have Shadows" page, unless I'm tripping..
sorry about that Knoxx, I will fix that up now.

Knoxx

Post by Knoxx »

Jaz wrote:
Knoxx wrote:RIP
sorry about that Knoxx, I will fix that up now.
Thanks man. I'd never heard "Architects Theme" before. Really dope track.

skizm

Post by skizm »

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvzuu4sOs28?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvzuu4sOs28?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I just upped this one from the personal archives.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

A friend that got to tour with E&A a few times wrote this.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i ... 909&ref=mf
For those who prefer brevity: Eyedea helped me become a better musician and Micheal Larsen helped me become a better person. He will be missed by family, friends, and fans. The beauty of his life is that many of us are all three.

For those who prefer shadows on shadows:

Micheal Larsen was the most capable person I've ever met. He could effortlessly weave small talk into a big conversation. He could shoot the shit with the town joker, then break down esoteric philosophies and long-forgotten scientific theories with the state brainiac. He could party all night with the most punk rock who ever put punk to rock, then wake up the next morning and get to work on his next groundbreaking project.

I had the good fortune to hang with Mikey in and out of the limelight. Too many musicians (and people) behave one way in one environment, then switch up their act to suit a new audience. Mikey wasn't like that. Mikey was Mikey, on stage in front of thousands of people or at my parents home for Thanksgiving dinner.

My favorite line of Mikey's is "It ain't all good, but it's all good enough. So I know I'm alright." Simply being yourself, regardless of setting or company, is the most important lesson he taught me. This is an increasingly difficult thing to do in a world that rewards bullshit artists and those who pretend to be emotionless. Mikey used his second greatest asset, his mind, to ensure he was comfortable with himself, imperfections and all. No bullshit, just artist. No pretend persona, just honest emotion.

But as impressive as his mind was, it was nothing compared to his heart. I remember the first time we hung out in 2001. We were walking down a street in Seattle on a rainy night when we passed a dog tied to a pole. The dog was drenched and its misery registered to me, but I was so awestruck to be hanging out with Eyedea that I barely noticed how shitty the dog really had it. Mikey noticed. He stopped, looked the dog in the eyes, and petted it while offering some soothing words of comfort. He looked around for an owner, but couldn't find one. Mikey eventually sadly said, "Dude, that's fucked up" and we continued on our way. We never discussed the experience, but it's lingered with me to this day because of the lesson: his mind made sure he understood you can't save every dog from every storm, but his heart made sure he understood you can at least stop and show you care.

Years later, Mikey was kind enough to have Jason and I join E&A on the road. Most recently, we spent 5 days in July at his place while doing some gigs in the Twin Cities. We got to meet his wonderful mother Kathy, who welcomed us into her home as if we were one of her own. There are no words to express our sorrow for her loss. The beauty in your son is a reflection of the beauty in you, Kathy.

I'm tempted to say that right now is the hardest part, but there is no hardest part. It's all pretty hard. Like many of you, I have cried a lot in the last few days. I will cry a lot in the next few months, then gradually less and less in the next few years, until I only occasionally cry when I want to call Mikey and tell him about some crazy book he should read. For now, I've found that seeing pictures of Mikey's shit-eating grin makes me start laughing. Then I laugh and cry at the same time, which reminds me of Mikey's approach to life.

I've got some hilarious voice mails and video footage, and I've seen many of the things people have been kind enough to post on this little social community. Funny thing is, I don't cry when I see that stuff of Mikey. I smile.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

R.I.P. Eyedea.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

there is never a good time to have this conversation, but I'd like to know from those that knew him best, did he have a hardcore drug problem recently? It's a cautionary tale regardless, but it seems really shocking to a lot of people that knew him better than most of us. I mean if Vordul died we would all be sort of prepared for it based of all the rumors and talk about his drug use, but it geniunely seems no one saw this coming?

I guess we don't even know if it is drugs at this point, I'm sure his family does. I've never understood why families hide the fact that someone has died from drug use. Both of my aunts died from drugs and both times my dad tried to say one of them died from "using a dirty needle when she got a tatoo." Oh yeah, I'm sure dad. And then when his other sister died he said "she just layed down and took her medication like she always did, but just didn't wake up in the morning." It's because her medication was like 10 pills of Oxycontin.

Maybe we find out it wasn't drugs but some freak aneurism or something, I don't know. Seems crazy that if someone found him they would know immediately it was drug abuse and maybe it could save the lives of some younger fans who look up to him to know that it was drugs that killed him.

Texas Raised Mikey

Post by Texas Raised Mikey »

Correct. I would like to know also. That was my point exactly.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

ardamus wrote:A friend that got to tour with E&A a few times wrote this.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_i ... 909&ref=mf
For those who prefer brevity: Eyedea helped me become a better musician and Micheal Larsen helped me become a better person. He will be missed by family, friends, and fans. The beauty of his life is that many of us are all three.

For those who prefer shadows on shadows:

Micheal Larsen was the most capable person I've ever met. He could effortlessly weave small talk into a big conversation. He could shoot the shit with the town joker, then break down esoteric philosophies and long-forgotten scientific theories with the state brainiac. He could party all night with the most punk rock who ever put punk to rock, then wake up the next morning and get to work on his next groundbreaking project.

I had the good fortune to hang with Mikey in and out of the limelight. Too many musicians (and people) behave one way in one environment, then switch up their act to suit a new audience. Mikey wasn't like that. Mikey was Mikey, on stage in front of thousands of people or at my parents home for Thanksgiving dinner.

My favorite line of Mikey's is "It ain't all good, but it's all good enough. So I know I'm alright." Simply being yourself, regardless of setting or company, is the most important lesson he taught me. This is an increasingly difficult thing to do in a world that rewards bullshit artists and those who pretend to be emotionless. Mikey used his second greatest asset, his mind, to ensure he was comfortable with himself, imperfections and all. No bullshit, just artist. No pretend persona, just honest emotion.

But as impressive as his mind was, it was nothing compared to his heart. I remember the first time we hung out in 2001. We were walking down a street in Seattle on a rainy night when we passed a dog tied to a pole. The dog was drenched and its misery registered to me, but I was so awestruck to be hanging out with Eyedea that I barely noticed how shitty the dog really had it. Mikey noticed. He stopped, looked the dog in the eyes, and petted it while offering some soothing words of comfort. He looked around for an owner, but couldn't find one. Mikey eventually sadly said, "Dude, that's fucked up" and we continued on our way. We never discussed the experience, but it's lingered with me to this day because of the lesson: his mind made sure he understood you can't save every dog from every storm, but his heart made sure he understood you can at least stop and show you care.

Years later, Mikey was kind enough to have Jason and I join E&A on the road. Most recently, we spent 5 days in July at his place while doing some gigs in the Twin Cities. We got to meet his wonderful mother Kathy, who welcomed us into her home as if we were one of her own. There are no words to express our sorrow for her loss. The beauty in your son is a reflection of the beauty in you, Kathy.

I'm tempted to say that right now is the hardest part, but there is no hardest part. It's all pretty hard. Like many of you, I have cried a lot in the last few days. I will cry a lot in the next few months, then gradually less and less in the next few years, until I only occasionally cry when I want to call Mikey and tell him about some crazy book he should read. For now, I've found that seeing pictures of Mikey's shit-eating grin makes me start laughing. Then I laugh and cry at the same time, which reminds me of Mikey's approach to life.

I've got some hilarious voice mails and video footage, and I've seen many of the things people have been kind enough to post on this little social community. Funny thing is, I don't cry when I see that stuff of Mikey. I smile.
truly inspiring.
thank you for sharing.

Eyedea, many people stuck here on earth with the rest of these heartless, lifeless assholes wish that your excellent example of humble magnificent humanity was even more appreciated and embraced.

may your soul feel no more pain, man.
a thousand thank you's for your music and your memories

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

so for real, I had no fuckin idea who he was, but I did a little youtube surfin, and I quickly found out how close he was to Sean. Amigo, my condolences to you and your friends.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

I was a fan of some of his freestyles and battles (and to a lesser extent his recorded material).

I don't think the cause of death has been mentioned (at least not publicly) but it sounds like at the time it was first announced that they were still waiting on autopsy reports. His mom "found him on Saturday and believes he died in his sleep".

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 51444.html

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

TheBigSleep wrote:I was a fan of some of his freestyles and battles (and to a lesser extent his recorded material).

I don't think the cause of death has been mentioned (at least not publicly) but it sounds like at the time it was first announced that they were still waiting on autopsy reports. His mom "found him on Saturday and believes he died in his sleep".

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 51444.html

but the thing is, unless he did the drugs then drove home, then there were probably drugs at the residence. I really hope I'm wrong and if I look like an ass, then hey, I guess that's what I get for being presumptuous.

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Just heard about this. Damn. R.I.P.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

SeanieCameras

Post by SeanieCameras »

I had the good fortune of being on one of those tours with Educated Consumers a couple years ago...What Cole(Seez) said in his memorial of him, was on point...He was deep, funny, insecure, easy to get along with, drank Jameson like an Irishman, smoked cigarettes like an Asian, and always wanted to "play some new, jams"...I interviewed him for the website VIMBY, and we had an amazing 35 minute conversation about everything from existentialism, why he hated to watch people eat, and why having your life and all it's follies immortalized on video in hip hop canon...Incidentally, a girlfriend of mine from high school's cousin, was his girlfriend Claire for many years...Still, really sad about this for his family, RSE, friends, music in general...Life lost one of the good guys today, and a 100 assholes got born in his place...Rest In Peace, and thank you...