KRS 1 ft Grand Puba-'5%'(produced by premo)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

LONDON!

KRS 1 ft Grand Puba-'5%'(produced by premo)

Post by LONDON! »

krs 1 is a legend and so is grand puba, so i know theirs a lot of heads on here that would be interested in this type of shizzle, you get what i'm saying, plus its got premo on top notch form as usual, this shit deserves its own thread, ha ha, the teacher merks it, krs 1, 1, ha ha and puba represents too, he dosen't come too shabby neither, for real, lets go

http://www.limelinx.com/files/40e0e79f8 ... 5bc4477897

Thun

Post by Thun »

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

This is exactly what these three should be doing.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Agree with Blastmaster. Production was nice and KRS sounded the best he can and Puba was dope. Puba still has it.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

krs and beat were dope
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

Thun wrote:Not a big fan of the TROY blog?

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2010/11/07/k ... radio-rip/
ha ha, nah its nuthin like that fam, i just don't log onto the troy blog yet because i have little gig left on my laptop and if i check that blog regularly i will lose my mind and get vex that i can't get to d/l none of that exclusive piff, ha ha, but that blog will get bookmarked onced i get more gig into my laptop, for real, yes surr

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

I thought I remembered that KRS (like Jeru) eventually had problems after initially working with Premier in the nineties. Whatever the case is, glad they reconciled (unless I just made all that up).

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

Howג€™s your album Return of the Boom Bip with KRS-One coming?

DJ PREMIER: Well, weג€™re only two songs deep right now but I pulled a song that we did that day when we were hanging out in the studio. Ice T happened to be on another floor mastering some work. He heard I just went up on the elevator and he asked what floor it was and they told me Ice T was at the door. KRS was like, ג€˜Word?ג€™ Ice T comes in and we all start kicking it. Ice heard the beat. It was a beat for Rakim that we never finished using for when he was on Aftermath with Dre. He was like, ג€˜That beat sounds like the way yג€™all did that 5% stuff back in the day.ג€™ And KRS was like, ג€˜Yo, thatג€™s a good idea. Iג€™m going to write a rhyme right now about that.ג€™ KRS wrote the rhyme. Ice T was like, ג€˜Yo, you need to get one of the gods on there, like Big Daddy Kane or somebody or Grand Puba.ג€™

We were like, ג€˜Grand Pubaג€™s real good at that. Letג€™s get Puba.ג€™ Call Puba, Puba met me at a bar in Harlem. I picked him up. He didnג€™t want to leave without his drink. It was the wintertime and it was cold. He takes his drink and slips it in his sleeve sideways and walks with his arm looking like itג€™s broken so that he doesnג€™t spill the drink just so that he can get in the car and finish his drink and get to the studio and lay the vocals!

He made it down and made sure that everything was right with the facts because he didnג€™t want any of the older gods saying, ג€œYouג€™re right on that, youג€™re wrong on that.ג€ There were a couple things in a couple of KRSג€™ rhymes that he said KRS messed up and there were a couple things that he didnג€™t want the older gods to say, ג€œOh, man, he didnג€™t mention this and he didnג€™t mention that. Thatג€™s not right and exact.ג€ They take that stuff very seriously. So Puba fixed it and then KRS had to go on tour for two months.

So when we come back, he had already told me he had three albums that were coming out, the one with True Master, he had a Kenny Parker and KRS album and he had an album that he did with Freddie Foxxx and then he had the album that he was putting out with Buckshot. He said it was going to have to come out after that. I know the True Master album came out because Iג€™ve been playing it on my show. And now Kenny Parkerג€™s is about to drop before the end of the year.

So at the top of the year, weג€™ll get back on mine once he finishes up his tour and I can do the songs. The first two we did was ג€œ5%ג€ and we did another one where we took a beatbox sample and turned it into a Premier style or version and then Q-Tip came by to do the intro to the album. He just happened to see Q-Tip on the street and he told him, ג€œYo, weג€™re doing an album Return of the Boom Bip and we need you to do an intro.ג€ He said, ג€œAll right, Iג€™ll come down there. Iג€™ll even do a song.ג€

But we havenג€™t done the song yet. But we did the intro where he walks in with an old, classic cassette tape recorder, the kind where you had to hit ג€œRecordג€ and put it next to your speakers and tell everybody in the room to be quiet so you could record into that little cordless mic. He brought one of those and we reenacted the traffic noise and ג€œPremier, whaddup?ג€ ג€œTip, whaddup? Yeah, man, weג€™re trying to come up with a title for the album. Return of the Boom Bap Part 2.ג€ He was like, ג€˜Nah, donג€™t call it that. Why donג€™t we call it Return of the Boom Bip?ג€™ And we go, ג€œOh, yeah, the boom, the bip, the boom, the bipג€ all together. And then I was like, ג€˜Yeah, I like that. As a matter of fact, I got a beat for that. Letג€™s drop it right now!ג€ And I took the sample from Tribe Called Quest, ג€œWeג€™re doing the boom, the bip, the boom bip.ג€ Now once KRS comes back, Q-Tip is going to rhyme on that beat and itג€™s going to be the intro to the album. Weג€™re already coming up with creative ideas.

hat KRS wants to do when he gets back from his tour for January, he wants to do it like we did Return of the Boom Bap. We did that album in two weeks. We were banging out song after song after song after song. Even when we did ג€œHigher Level,ג€ I was mad at KRS. I wanted to go home. I was tired. I was done. He was like, ג€˜Letג€™s do one more.ג€™ Heג€™s talking on ג€œHigher Levelג€ and I said, ג€œDude, I donג€™t feel like making no more beats,ג€ and he said, ג€œMake whatever you feel.ג€ Thatג€™s why I made it sound all mellow with the Blacula soundtrack, which we cleared, which is the only reason Iג€™m giving the sample. And we got it on there and actually I like how itג€™s mellow. I like what he said and I like the way it closes out the album.
http://www.djpremierblog.com/2010/11/09 ... st-read/2/

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

so................ why isn't ice t on the record
1. Nas
2. Drake

LONDON!

Post by LONDON! »

The Frankest wrote:
Howג€™s your album Return of the Boom Bip with KRS-One coming?

DJ PREMIER: Well, weג€™re only two songs deep right now but I pulled a song that we did that day when we were hanging out in the studio. Ice T happened to be on another floor mastering some work. He heard I just went up on the elevator and he asked what floor it was and they told me Ice T was at the door. KRS was like, ג€˜Word?ג€™ Ice T comes in and we all start kicking it. Ice heard the beat. It was a beat for Rakim that we never finished using for when he was on Aftermath with Dre. He was like, ג€˜That beat sounds like the way yג€™all did that 5% stuff back in the day.ג€™ And KRS was like, ג€˜Yo, thatג€™s a good idea. Iג€™m going to write a rhyme right now about that.ג€™ KRS wrote the rhyme. Ice T was like, ג€˜Yo, you need to get one of the gods on there, like Big Daddy Kane or somebody or Grand Puba.ג€™

We were like, ג€˜Grand Pubaג€™s real good at that. Letג€™s get Puba.ג€™ Call Puba, Puba met me at a bar in Harlem. I picked him up. He didnג€™t want to leave without his drink. It was the wintertime and it was cold. He takes his drink and slips it in his sleeve sideways and walks with his arm looking like itג€™s broken so that he doesnג€™t spill the drink just so that he can get in the car and finish his drink and get to the studio and lay the vocals!

He made it down and made sure that everything was right with the facts because he didnג€™t want any of the older gods saying, ג€œYouג€™re right on that, youג€™re wrong on that.ג€ There were a couple things in a couple of KRSג€™ rhymes that he said KRS messed up and there were a couple things that he didnג€™t want the older gods to say, ג€œOh, man, he didnג€™t mention this and he didnג€™t mention that. Thatג€™s not right and exact.ג€ They take that stuff very seriously. So Puba fixed it and then KRS had to go on tour for two months.

So when we come back, he had already told me he had three albums that were coming out, the one with True Master, he had a Kenny Parker and KRS album and he had an album that he did with Freddie Foxxx and then he had the album that he was putting out with Buckshot. He said it was going to have to come out after that. I know the True Master album came out because Iג€™ve been playing it on my show. And now Kenny Parkerג€™s is about to drop before the end of the year.

So at the top of the year, weג€™ll get back on mine once he finishes up his tour and I can do the songs. The first two we did was ג€œ5%ג€ and we did another one where we took a beatbox sample and turned it into a Premier style or version and then Q-Tip came by to do the intro to the album. He just happened to see Q-Tip on the street and he told him, ג€œYo, weג€™re doing an album Return of the Boom Bip and we need you to do an intro.ג€ He said, ג€œAll right, Iג€™ll come down there. Iג€™ll even do a song.ג€

But we havenג€™t done the song yet. But we did the intro where he walks in with an old, classic cassette tape recorder, the kind where you had to hit ג€œRecordג€ and put it next to your speakers and tell everybody in the room to be quiet so you could record into that little cordless mic. He brought one of those and we reenacted the traffic noise and ג€œPremier, whaddup?ג€ ג€œTip, whaddup? Yeah, man, weג€™re trying to come up with a title for the album. Return of the Boom Bap Part 2.ג€ He was like, ג€˜Nah, donג€™t call it that. Why donג€™t we call it Return of the Boom Bip?ג€™ And we go, ג€œOh, yeah, the boom, the bip, the boom, the bipג€ all together. And then I was like, ג€˜Yeah, I like that. As a matter of fact, I got a beat for that. Letג€™s drop it right now!ג€ And I took the sample from Tribe Called Quest, ג€œWeג€™re doing the boom, the bip, the boom bip.ג€ Now once KRS comes back, Q-Tip is going to rhyme on that beat and itג€™s going to be the intro to the album. Weג€™re already coming up with creative ideas.

hat KRS wants to do when he gets back from his tour for January, he wants to do it like we did Return of the Boom Bap. We did that album in two weeks. We were banging out song after song after song after song. Even when we did ג€œHigher Level,ג€ I was mad at KRS. I wanted to go home. I was tired. I was done. He was like, ג€˜Letג€™s do one more.ג€™ Heג€™s talking on ג€œHigher Levelג€ and I said, ג€œDude, I donג€™t feel like making no more beats,ג€ and he said, ג€œMake whatever you feel.ג€ Thatג€™s why I made it sound all mellow with the Blacula soundtrack, which we cleared, which is the only reason Iג€™m giving the sample. And we got it on there and actually I like how itג€™s mellow. I like what he said and I like the way it closes out the album.
http://www.djpremierblog.com/2010/11/09 ... st-read/2/
damn, krs 1 doing a whole album wit premo, that sounds like another classic album, because to me yeah, krs 1 is the g.o.a.t mc and he's still got that venom and bars and premo is the g.o.a.t producer, the best in the game right now, you can't go wrong, no surr, plus q-tip & maybe ice t on features, sick shit

shakeanjake

Post by shakeanjake »

I stopped believing KRS ONE still had it after
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7TmkpzjB1o?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X7TmkpzjB1o?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
http://duffmancantbreathe.blogspot.com
Funk, hip hop, soul, psychedelic, reggae and blues reviews and downloads.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Good to see that at least some of you are now acknowledging that some old rappers still have something to contribute.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

ice-t feature would have been cool.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:ice-t feature would have been cool.
On the album you mean?

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Puba killed it.

Beat was cool, expecting better for the rest of the album tho.

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Dope. Proof KRS-1's still got it when paired with the right producer. Same goes for Puba.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Ice-T owns.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Thun wrote:
On the album you mean?
yes.

lol what would Ice do on a 5% record?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
Thun wrote:
On the album you mean?
yes.

Nothing. There were two ambiguous comments about ice-t's participation so I had to ask.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
Thun wrote:
On the album you mean?
yes.

Come with that swag.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

KRS isn't NOI either tho.... pretty sure he's a hare krishna
1. Nas
2. Drake

Thun

Post by Thun »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:KRS isn't NOI either tho.... pretty sure he's a hare krishna
NOI isn't 5%. And KRS-One absolutely was a 5%er back in the 80s.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

ok. i always wondered why RZA & ghost claim to be muslim but they still smoke dust. either way i'd like to hear ice t on that track.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Thun wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:KRS isn't NOI either tho.... pretty sure he's a hare krishna
NOI isn't 5%. And KRS-One absolutely was a 5%er back in the 80s.
Really? So did he just suddenly change his mind in '92 when he dropped Sex and Violence/Build and Destroy? And KRS-One was involved in Hinduism as a teenager.

Teddy C.D.

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Out of curiosity, are you a 5%er, Thun? Or anyone here for that matter?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

:rofl:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Teddy C.D. wrote:Out of curiosity, are you a 5%er, Thun?
I spit out my cereal milk just now.

C.H.U.D

Post by C.H.U.D »

crazy track with the step sound on the sample, premo still have good id
you rookie motherfucker, its the final not the playoff...

Thun

Post by Thun »

Teddy C.D. wrote:Out of curiosity, are you a 5%er, Thun? Or anyone here for that matter?
:rofl: :naswtf:

I was, in the 90s. It was kind of a big deal where I lived.

Being a five percenter isn't like joining a church, though. You are free to study whatever you want. KRS was down in the 80s and early 90s. His verses on "Build and Destroy" aren't a denunciation of 5%erism as a whole, he's criticizing people who took an overly dogmatic approach to the lessons, and just talking shit about PRT and X-Clan because he sensed that they were threats to him (they were).

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Thun wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
Thun wrote:
On the album you mean?
yes.

Nothing. There were two ambiguous comments about ice-t's participation so I had to ask.
did you read the article? its just because when i read Ice was in the studio i thought that'd be cool. him and kris respected each other back then and premo had worked with Ice-T before... so it wasnt that outta hand.

and this is only a project for grumpy melancholic boombap dinosaurs anyways.