Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: The All-Inclusive Odd Future Thread + Music

Post by Employee »

TheTed wrote:New Earl prod. The Alchemist

Dude...

:fail:

This guy fell the fuck off, like, yeesh, bro; from Rebel Rape Rap to Repetitive Reductivist Rap. Thrilling.

Anyone still coddling this guy at this point should be embarrassed.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:you are quietly one of the worst posters on this site.
for harboring an unpopular opinion? OK.

Tyler's beats are great. Absolutely amazing. Setting everything else about him aside, that is one of his greatest assets.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:you are quietly one of the worst posters on this site.

Tyler's beats are great. Absolutely amazing. Setting everything else about him aside, that is one of his greatest assets.
:larry:

They're largely constructed of presets and are the beat equivalent of Earl's deliberate-yet-allegedly-wildly-intriguing monotone depression steez.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Damn, we're in the midst of the 4th anniversary of the apex of Wolf Gang faggotry.
I just reread the first 10 pages, it's so cute how excited some of you guys were.
DLG wrote:listening to these beats I get the same feeling like when I first heard Fantastic Damage.

Someone who is doing something completely fresh and daring sonically, but still hard and street, not some arty gayness.
Looking back, Dilge do you still harbor these sentiments?

Last edited by Jayou Ayen on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Damn, we're in the midst of the 4th anniversary of the apex of Wolf Gang faggotry.
I just reread the first 10 pages, it's so cute how excited some of you guys were.
DLG wrote:listening to these beats I get the same feeling like when I first heard Fantastic Damage.

Someone who is doing something completely fresh and daring sonically, but still hard and street, not some arty gayness.
Looking back, Dilge do still harbor these sentiments?

:rofl:

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Employee wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:

They're largely constructed of presets and are the beat equivalent of Earl's deliberate-yet-allegedly-wildly-intriguing monotone depression steez.

Presets? What a bullshit way to discredit a producer. So what's your take on sampling then?
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Odd Future Wolf Gang, wolf gangs presents....
UBM CD COMING SOON

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Employee wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:

Presets? What a bullshit way to discredit a producer. So what's your take on sampling then?
I don't understand your question.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Employee wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
Employee wrote:Q-tip's beats are great. Absolutely amazing. Setting everything else about him aside, that is one of his greatest assets.

They're largely constructed out of old 60s-70s jazz numbers and are the beat equivalent of Phife Dawg's deliberate-yet-allegedly-wildly-intriguing sickle cell steez.

Sampling? What a bullshit way to discredit a producer. Sampling is an art form. If you hate sampling so much then what's your take on presets?

Kor4dy

Post by Kor4dy »

45's not that great but if you think Earl is just meh as a rapper then... I just don't know.

If you just don't like his shit then that's a whole other thing.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Fader did a cover story on Tyler

http://www.thefader.com/2014/11/09/cove ... he-creator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apparently a new album is in the works. No definite release date, but spring / summer 2015 is my guess. 2015 will represent another wave of OF releases. Let's hope they will hold up.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

ChaMerZ wrote:my interest in him and his music dropped dramatically once he kind of diverged from the group and decided to explore topics other than rape and necrophilia.
:lol: what the fuuuuuuck
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Confirmed tracks:

Run
Keep The O's

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:my interest in him and his music dropped dramatically once he kind of diverged from the group and decided to explore topics other than rape and necrophilia.
it was part of the appeal

Versive

Post by Versive »

Employee wrote:
Jayou Ayen wrote:Damn, we're in the midst of the 4th anniversary of the apex of Wolf Gang faggotry.

Looking back, Dilge do still harbor these sentiments?

:rofl:

Sick gif.

FWIW, their first NY show, the one at the Webster Hall Studio that we were all talking about, remains fresh in my mind as one of my favorite rap shows ever. And I still have my undersized OFWGKTA t-shirt that was thrown to the crowd.

Memories. Emotions. :arrow:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Yeah, but at least you had a reason to hope or throw your loot toward their movement.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yeah, I'm not trying to say they were overhyped or that they fell off ... I still check for all Domo, Tyler and Earl albums.

Honestly, I'm most surprised that Hodgy Beats kind of fell off, but then again, that could've been based on how ill he was at that show.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

For me, the bottom fell out (nh @ "bottom fell out") with the release of Earl's debut; it seemed to be the culmination of too much individual hype for him, bloated expectations, and the "world debut" of a rich, privileged, insular kid from the suburbs who is playing the role he is rapping. That might work for other rappers, but it doesn't translate as it relates to Earl's ability to, sort of, instill a sense of authenticity into his verses.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I didn't read that deep into it, but that in and of itself could indicate that it didn't live up to expectations. I don't go back to it much, if ever.

...I want to now, though.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I think it's worth revisiting if you haven't checked it out in a minute; maybe I'd come away with a different perspective in 2014, but I doubt it.

I'm just saying: When Mac Miller upstages you on your own debut and you're a rapper whose name is Earl Sweatshirt, that's a problem.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Employee wrote:I think it's worth revisiting if you haven't checked it out in a minute; maybe I'd come away with a different perspective in 2014, but I doubt it.

I'm just saying: When Mac Miller upstages you on your own debut and you're a rapper whose name is Earl Sweatshirt, that's a problem.
Explain to me how Mac Miller's verse on Guild upstaged everything else on the album

EARL > Doris, but it definitely had its strong points. Hive was a highlight, so was Whoa.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

ChaMerZ wrote:
seagrams hotsauce wrote:
it was part of the appeal
You're into rape and fucking dead people? I hope someone duffs you out irl
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ChaMerZ wrote:Explain to me how Mac Miller's verse on Guild upstaged everything else on the album
1. He rapped in a style I'd never heard him adopt or utilize
2. His verse was superior in terms of peculiarity, wordplay, imagery etc
3. All of Mac Miller's material outside of his verse on "Guild" was nothing like it
4. Earl followed it with a rather meandering verse about "burning LOUD on the couch"
ChaMerZ wrote:Hive was a highlight, so was Whoa.
Can't recall much of "Hive", but "Whoa" is very much a generic, been there-done that with Eminem, Walmart-level track.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Employee wrote:Hive was a highlight
I actually quite liked Doris and would recommend people revisit it as it's a much better listen without the burden of hype, but Hive was most memorable for Vince Staples verse more or less upstaging Earl

Versive

Post by Versive »

Now that you mention it, Vince Staples's work from this year towers above much of the OF catalog.
Makes you wonder ... would we even know about him were it not for the affiliation?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Versive wrote:Now that you mention it, Vince Staples's work from this year towers above much of the OF catalog.
Makes you wonder ... would we even know about him were it not for the affiliation?
yah early this year (~ spring) i burned through his entire catalog. dude is a beast and definitely has talent. to be honest, his career only got a boost because of the OF connection though.

Kor4dy

Post by Kor4dy »

TheTed wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
Employee wrote:Hive was a highlight
I actually quite liked Doris and would recommend people revisit it as it's a much better listen without the burden of hype, but Hive was most memorable for Vince Staples verse more or less upstaging Earl
Personally, Earl's 2nd verse > Vince's verse

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

both of Earl's verses on Hive > Vince

he came full circle with the "reincarnation of '96 eminem"
UBM CD COMING SOON

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Employee wrote:
TheTed wrote:New Earl prod. The Alchemist

Dude...

:fail:

This guy fell the fuck off, like, yeesh, bro; from Rebel Rape Rap to Repetitive Reductivist Rap. Thrilling.

Anyone still coddling this guy at this point should be embarrassed.
He's still quite good at rapping, but he's not really distinguishing himself as the future MVP we'd all thought he'd be. He's starting to put me to sleep. I got caught up in the hype of Doris, but that album has had very little replay value, aside from a few cuts.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »