paging agent b!
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Combo7

Re: Killer Mike and El-P

Post by Combo7 »

ChaMerZ wrote:
zombie wrote:still dont get it
a lot of IGN commenters didn't know what run the jewels was

the majority of the ones who could figure out the group through a google search or whatever were throwing incendiary darts at what they thought was canonical 'black music'. they didn't know that one half of RTJ was white

and then the funny thing is the loudest, and most obnoxious critics of RTJ (& hip hop in general) were people who primarily listened to heavy metal & old punk. maybe if you were a prog rock snob or something to that effect i would get it, but if you listen to metal?

:rofl:
I read through the comments on your recommendation and found the hip hop vs. rap debates and kids these days don't know about real hip hop like Talib Kweli and Immortal Technique proclamations a lot "funnier."

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

^^ aah yes, i forgot about those. there were those :phila: type commenters in there trying to fight the other posters.

reading about hip hop/rap in non rap forums is always interesting.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

The comment about how "even white kids are reciting Tupac lyrics now" made me lol.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Cool interactive thing:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/taster/projects/run-the-jewels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Filmed/HD set from France show in a railway station
http://pitchfork.com/news/58227-run-the ... ogotheque/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

When Run The Jewels sent me this track, I knew we had the opportunity to create a film that means something. I felt a sense of responsibility to do just that. We had to exploit the lyrics and aggression and emotion of the track, and translate that into a film that would ignite a valuable and productive conversation about racially motivated violence in this country. It's provocative, and we all knew this, so we were tasked with making something that expressed the intensity of senseless violence without eclipsing our humanity. For me, it was important to write a story that didn’t paint a simplistic portrait of the characters of the Cop and Kid. They're not stereotypes. They're people - complex, real people and, as such, the power had to shift between them at certain points throughout the story. The film begins and it feels like they have been fighting for days, they’re exhausted, not a single punch is thrown, their violence is communicated through clumsy, raw emotion. They've already fought their ways past their judgements and learned hatred toward one another. Our goal was to highlight the futility of the violence, not celebrate it.

I am really proud of where we ended up, and I am very thankful that our actors Shea Whigham and Keith Stanfield committed to these characters 100%. They breathed complex life into two people who are usually portrayed in simplistic ways - as archetypes. I can tell you it was an emotional shoot day. It is tough to re-create moments that are so fresh and prevalent in our world today. It affected all of us in deep ways. But I believe that it is important that the way we feel when we see these events in real life has an effect on us. That we resonate with what we know to be right and we don't numb ourselves out so those feelings can simply be swept away, we must confront them and take some action, however small, or we’ll be stuck in the same cycle of violence and hate.

AG Rojas
Directo
ELI :ohsh:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

lol it's like "they live"
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

funny that the cop once played Philip K Dick

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Record store day exclusive:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

mike dropped a new video yday

1. Nas
2. Drake

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Super obvious soul flips render beats boring. We ran that into the ground over a decade ago.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

this song is 4 years old tho, but i guess thats still less than a decade plus

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

it's from pl3dge. just the vid is brand new. KM can't get el-p off the mic let alone outta the studio.
1. Nas
2. Drake

The Ivy League Nigga

Piff Tannen wrote:this song is 4 years old tho, but i guess thats still less than a decade plus
I see. I didn't know it was old. But that production is still boring and way past the 04-05 expiration date for this style.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

lmao @ whining about soul samples in rap music
get the fuck out of here with that bullshit

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

he's desperately out of touch and trying to save face. probably owns AZ's "memphis sessions" on vinyl (up for sale bro?)
1. Nas
2. Drake

The Ivy League Nigga

I'm not complaining about soul samples in general, I just think these kinda flips that are so direct and obvious aren't great and sound like they belong in 2002. I'm not against soul samples at all. None of you thinks this is an interesting beat.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

the song is dope. the beat works when it came out 4-5 years ago and it works now. Simple or not.

http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^yeah that's cool. obvious soul samples can work. i mean RZA didn't have to dig too hard for the "i cant go to sleep" beat.

@blue yeah this is not what i wanna hear mike record on at this point in his career. if i didn't recognize this from pl3dge i'd be like where the hell is el??? for a mixtape joint it works great imo (i like this beat).
1. Nas
2. Drake

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I never checked for Killer Mike before he paired up with EL-P. & I'm not about to start now.

I'm with Ivy here ... Soul samples are plaayed. I'm really diggin the futuristic / 80s retro quasi-neptunes sound that everyone is trying to go for now. So much great music coming out these days. Awesome time to be alive.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ivy League Nigga

Again, I'm not exactly saying all soul samples are played, just the ones that sound like they're early 2000's Blueprint/Diplomatic Immunity rejects. It sounds lazy and old-fashioned to me. Maybe I'm in the minority...

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:Again, I'm not exactly saying all soul samples are played, just the ones that sound like they're early 2000's Blueprint/Diplomatic Immunity rejects. It sounds lazy and old-fashioned to me. Maybe I'm in the minority...
at cornell, yeah, probably
1. Nas
2. Drake

The Ivy League Nigga

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
The Ivy League Nigga wrote:Again, I'm not exactly saying all soul samples are played, just the ones that sound like they're early 2000's Blueprint/Diplomatic Immunity rejects. It sounds lazy and old-fashioned to me. Maybe I'm in the minority...
at cornell, yeah, probably
Uh -- Like I would set foot on that campus. It's the Pluto of Ivies; not sure that it even counts anymore.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

seems you boy mike isn't so picky about setting foot on non-ivy league campuses

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/a ... university
1. Nas
2. Drake

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

I get what you're saying, but I think this is more in line with the production of it's time than the stuff on BP or DI. It was released around the same time shit like Big Krit was really popping, and it sounds very much in line with the shit on the Pledge series. I can see why you'd be turned off if you didn't know it was four years old, though the sample itself is not what I'd call 'super obvious' if you're not talking about the big beat drums

The Ivy League Nigga

Yeah, those are good points. I don't really check for KRIT and barely listened to Mike before R.A.P. I'm probably overstating the "expiration date" thing. Looking back, I was listening to tons of rap in the early 2000's (especially compared to how much I've listened to over the past decade) and I think I got worn out on the vocal soul sample thing because it was so ubiquitous back then.

What I meant by "obvious" is just taking several bars or an entire hook from a soul song and let it play largely unaltered. That sounded so dope to me (and a lot of you) in 2001-2002, now like I already said I think it sounds lazy and boring. After reading what you wrote, I fully realize that I might not be putting this song in its proper context though.