Killer Mike and El-P

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

hessbz12

Re: Killer Mike and El-P

Post by hessbz12 »

Hair of the Dog wrote:
hessbz12 wrote:Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but when does it officially drop?
Jan 13
Thanks!

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

Album just released early. Can't wait to check it!

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

a christmas fucking miracle

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Hope they take a break from RTJ material after this. That being said, this might be the best one yet. Shit is glorious.

Download: https://runthejewels.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by Brougham33 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

amazing album from start to finish

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Brougham33 wrote:this might be the best one yet.
i didn't like the first two albums, short of a few tracks.

this one? dope.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

el-p.

jk, i don't like him.
1. Nas
2. Drake

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

From a few listens on my phone, this is pretty great as expected. I agree though. This should be the last RTJ. I'd like to see another Killer Mike album produced by el-p though.

I need to get this RTJ3 in the car though where their stuff sounds the best.

DLG

Post by DLG »

sleazy_j wrote:
Brougham33 wrote:this might be the best one yet.
i didn't like the first two albums, short of a few tracks.

this one? dope.

same here. this one is more well-rounded, diverse and interesting than the first two combined.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Gave this a couple spins from front to back. I feel like its the most cohesive album they've done but the high points aren't as high and the low points aren't as low as on the other two. I don't skip any tracks (I skipped at least one or two on the prior albums), but I feel like none of the tracks stand out as much as tracks like "angel duster" or "36 chain" or "oh my darling don't cry" etc.

I'm sure they save tons of bread by not relying on samples, but the production style, while el-p is still killing it, limits the range and makes the songs sound similar. It helps for cohesion purposes but it definitely limits the variety.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

maybe i havent gave this a chance yet but so far i think the 2nd album is the best, this one is good but do feel its a bit overkill, i want to hear some solo el-p and beats that are not so hyped , bring back that dark def jux sound

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Early impressions: Production, while still high quality, is starting to feel stagnant. And this is the best El-P has sounded amongst these projects. And like someone said above, we need a new El-P-produced Killer Mike project. Still probably prefer R.A.P. Music to anything that's come from the El-P/ Killer Mike friendship.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

ive listened to this more and its settling in more , its pretty dope, i think i still like the 2nd of this trilogy the best

g9hood

Post by g9hood »

pEAce/k1LLaforN1a

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

is mass appeal records owned by nas

im looking forward
to nas' new album
and hopefully at least one track produced by el-p

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

Neuro wrote:is mass appeal records owned by nas

im looking forward
to nas' new album
and hopefully at least one track produced by el-p

i dont think it will happen

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Maybe they're saving it for Zach's record

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^ yeah prob. zach is way more hyped to be on elp beats rn than mike is.

pitchfork wrote:El-P: We were all under a dark cloud, and there were times when Mike was frazzled, angry, and didn’t want to fucking rap.
explains a lot.

half the beats are boring. elp is really into it but he's always corny on the mic. no mike=no album

almost certainly this will be the last album. zach+elp now. mike should find a trap producer or just go into politics.
1. Nas
2. Drake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Brougham33 wrote:Maybe they're saving it for Zach's record

lol shades of

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^classic. feared it had been lost
1. Nas
2. Drake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

never that
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

DLG

Post by DLG »

what's the backstory there?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

it's the "hip hop is dead" release party
1. Nas
2. Drake

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

They've definitely transitioned to full-blown Stadium Dad Rap or, if you prefer, Rebellious Adult Contemporary Pop.

Standouts for me are "Call Ticketron" and "Stay Gold." What's left sounds like what are leftovers and ideas carried to fruition on this incarnation that didn't land on their previous two works. As mentioned, EL-P's production is generally entertaining; whereas here it's largely monotonous and boilerplate. His raps and rapping have jumped the shark though. Even on "Stay Gold" I find myself cringing during his half of the hook and wondering which is worse: The fact he made it or the fact that I like listening to it?

Danny Brown's cameo is forgettable and that's saying a lot as I find his shit to be incessantly ill. Couldn't care less about Ithe Dawg's hero's appearance either. That Pitchfork interview is really disappointing.

3/10

wuk

Post by wuk »

i mean the dad rap label may be accurate...but these dudes are in their 40s (and we're all like 35 here too) so it's amazing they have any young fans at all, let alone are now both at the height of their respective careers at this advanced age.

they make really good music. formulaic, sure. but this shit knocks pretty hard for us dads.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

wuk wrote:they made really good music.
emp never liked em if memory serves. but even as a fan i gotta say the group is boring+dead now. the energy is not there.

for mike i mean. elp is super into it but that just makes him more annoying.
1. Nas
2. Drake

DLG

Post by DLG »

wuk wrote:i mean the dad rap label may be accurate...but these dudes are in their 40s (and we're all like 35 here too) so it's amazing they have any young fans at all, let alone are now both at the height of their respective careers at this advanced age.

they make really good music. formulaic, sure. but this shit knocks pretty hard for us dads.
RTJ is the perfect product. white kids can turn up while maintaining their "woke" and "conscious" status. They get music that knocks without the mumble rappers, and the also get Mike's black guy presence to validate their hip hopness. It's the perfect storm.

White guys over 30 that grew up on def jux are hardly their main demographic.

myself

Post by myself »

Like many others, I have enjoyed (some) RTJ, but would like to see a return to the solos, especially a Killer Mike R.A.P followup. But these guys are going to milk RTJ for all they can and I don't blame them.

They just made the Billboard Top 40 on the album charts based mostly on paid downloads of a free album. The physical release was 3 days ago. The vinyl sold out on Amazon on day 1. When I checked the CD was #22 in paid music and #1 in pop rap. RTJ3 will outsell R.A.P. Music and C4C combined, probably in the first 2-3 weeks. They even made the Canadian Album charts and some UK singles airplay. RTJ2 sold over 100k and many of those were their super duper deluxe vinyl superfan packages.

When they did their joint tour for Killer Mike and El-P to support C4C and R.A.P. they were playing small bars in many markets and they were supported by Despot and MMF Exquire when he had some buzz. El-P was tweeting about how he couldn't afford dinner.

I live in Columbus, OH. I had to drive to Cleveland to see them in a 1/2 full bar that had 300 tops. Now, not only can they get booked in Columbus, but they sold out twice well before the show. They sold out the Newport - where a lot of solidly popular rock bands and up and coming pop-rappers (plus Atmosphere) play, 1700 capacity. They got bumped to the 2000 capacity Express Live (formerly the LC) indoors, and that sold out. In the winter that's where every popular act that's not on arena or stadium level plays. Solo, they would be lucky to get booked in the A&R Bar (where Aesop Rock plays, and I think he's a bigger draw) or the Basement (where UK indie bands with no hits, local cover bands, and former singers of Z list 80s hair bands play solo shows). Killer Mike played a solo show at a little bar called Ace of Cups for $15, with local guys who actually get radio play opening.

If you look at the "Run the World" tour itinerary they have sold out several 2000-5000 venues. RTJ sold 12,000 tickets in NYC. Even El-P was playing 500 seaters there or opening cancelled shows for The Streets. Then they've got Europe and festivals. Plus all these kids and their moms buying the RTJ merch.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Up in the 6 they're playing the same venue as the rtj2 tour. But yeah it's like 5 times bigger than the rtj1 tour.
1. Nas
2. Drake