MF DOOM's Operation Doomsday released for the third time

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Random Sample

MF DOOM's Operation Doomsday released for the third time

Post by Random Sample »

COMING SPRING 2011:
MF DOOM - OPERATION: DOOMSDAY (COMPLETE)

The history of MF DOOM's debut album OPERATION: DOOMSDAY is a spotty one - it's been released in at least two different versions on different labels, out of print, bootlegged, and even released once with a cheap scan of the original cover.

This Spring DOOM's own label Metalface Records will be releasing the first complete & remastered version of OPERATION: DOOMSDAY, containing the original album, alternate versions, b-sides and instrumentals - 51 tracks total - with all new artwork and two deluxe, metal formats:

LUNCH BOX 2/CD and METAL 4/LP BOX each containing a 32-page lyric book, and set of 10 cards with images of the Operation Doomsday MCs.

Stones Throw will have an advance sale on these two formats. Complete photos and pre-sale will be announced soon. The artwork, which we previewed last year, was created by Jason Jagel and Jeff Jank, who also designed Doom's 2005 album MM FOOD.
Even though this is pretty cool, he needs to release a new album.
Last edited by Random Sample on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

dope way to re-release this album.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Typical DOOM over the past 6 years. This thing will be expensive as fuck and not worth it. DOOM is more in the selling collectibles biz these days than he's in the MCeein biz. It actually sounds real official, but it'll be too rich for my blood.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

unclebengi wrote:Typical DOOM over the past 6 years. This thing will be expensive as fuck and not worth it. DOOM is more in the selling collectibles biz these days than he's in the MCeein biz. It actually sounds real official, but it'll be too rich for my blood.
Don't blame him. That box set looks nice.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Can we move all DOOM threads to Bacon Bra please?

This is funny. I'll probably buy one.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

with that many tracks there's bound to be a few interesting leftover and outtakes in the mix, i look forward to downloading them
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I was going to say how this was long overdue because we need yet another re-release of this album, until I read what its coming with. Not bad.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Last two posts convey my sentiments perfectly.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

step one

Post by step one »

I've never heard an MF Doom album (or any song apart from Rock Co Kane Flow to be honest) - Im sure Id probably like him but I cant take him seriously in that mask. He looks like a dick.

Is this generally considered his best?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

step one wrote:I've never heard an MF Doom album (or any song apart from Rock Co Kane Flow to be honest) - Im sure Id probably like him but I cant take him seriously in that mask. He looks like a dick.

he's the best rapper alive..

you would hate him

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

his best album & it looks like the definitive version of it. (plus instrumentals, the fondle 'em 12"s & maybe some new bonus things)

waht to complain about

zombie

Post by zombie »

would have bought if it was remastered.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

step one wrote:I've never heard an MF Doom album (or any song apart from Rock Co Kane Flow to be honest) - Im sure Id probably like him but I cant take him seriously in that mask. He looks like a dick.

I am no Doom fanboy or anything, but it's a great album. Bottom line. Only beef is some of the OG versions were replaced with newer versions. That bothered me as the OG versions on the 12's/demos were far superior. Still, the album is great.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i am buying it a third time then
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

:naswtf:

so do you play the shit out of kmd b/c he wasn't wearing a mask then?
Nets 2022

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

I wouldn't be surprised if Stones Throw was working on this, but then having Metal Face Records release it due to the abundance of uncleared samples.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

pradadon wrote:

I am no Doom fanboy or anything, but it's a great album. Bottom line. Only beef is some of the OG versions were replaced with newer versions. That bothered me as the OG versions on the 12's/demos were far superior. Still, the album is great.
I thought I was the only person who felt this. I also prefer the original version of Madvillainy.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

wtf? i thought everyone from borkers to new yorkers loved this album. how could u not? shit is near perfect
Nets 2022

Thun

Post by Thun »

Reason wrote:wtf? i thought everyone from borkers to new yorkers loved this album. how could u not? shit is near perfect
Most borkpackers started their fixation on "da fyve elementz" and "undagrownde rapp stylez" in late 2002.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

vermillion wrote:
pradadon wrote:

I thought I was the only person who felt this.
I thought this was the usual sentiment. I think MOST of the 12's were superior, especially "Dead Bent." I do prefer the albums version of "Hey" though.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

zombie wrote:would have bought if it was remastered.
Random Sample wrote:This Spring DOOM's own label Metalface Records will be releasing the first complete & remastered version of OPERATION: DOOMSDAY, containing the original album, alternate versions, b-sides and instrumentals - 51 tracks total - with all new artwork and two deluxe, metal formats:

dubs

Post by dubs »

i want that lyric book.. what the hell does he say in the end of last verse on red and gold?
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Markshot
O.G. Borky Johnson

Post by Markshot »

dubs wrote:i want that lyric book.. what the hell does he say in the end of last verse on red and gold?
save your money and hit ohhla
http://www.ohhla.com/anonymous/mf_doom/ ... ld.mfd.txt

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
vermillion wrote:
pradadon wrote:

I thought I was the only person who felt this.
I thought this was the usual sentiment.
it is and the internet (as usual) has turned it into a bit of hyperbole. 'i can't evne listen to operation doomsday because the album versions of those songs are so terrible' << happens more than you want to believe
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Rapping wise I'm a much bigger fan of Viktor Vaughn.

Operation Doomsday
Vaudeville Villian
Madvillian
MM FOOD

Are all essential dooming though.

Verge

Post by Verge »

If it's 51 tracks then I would really hope for a lot of the demo versions and alternate versions, that Stretch claimed were done in his crib(something like 25 demos never released), to be on there.
The packaging is cool for both vinyl and cd and depending on if it's affordable and if it's more than just the vinyl versions and album versions, I'll cop.

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

I go by 5 copys so later i cayn sell on ebay fore of theese

thewool

Post by thewool »

I've never bought this, only downloaded so I'll probably pick this up if it's not a crazy price.

Step, I'd also never listened to DOOM until last Autumn. Then I got hooked on that 'Accordian' beat which I heard one day so did some more digging... His back catalogue was like a long lost seam of hipohop that I'd never discovered and was the freshest shit I'd heard in years. I'd encourage you to give him a go, here's a start or find the Mouse and the Mask album.

Mince Meat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AMUn-QmIc4
Accordion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpaonSDPw7Y
Project Jazz feat. Hell Razah + Talib http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMb1Kyl1r0A

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

The original 12" versions showed promise but were all near unlistenable and it was a godsend when he re-recorded them for the album.

The more i think about it, this is a top 5 NY rap album of all time for me.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:The original 12" versions showed promise but were all near unlistenable and it was a godsend when he re-recorded them for the album.

The more i think about it, this is a top 5 NY rap album of all time for me.
Out of curiosity, what is your top 5? I know, trite question. I'm guessing that you're going to name Eric B. and Rakim "Don't Sweat The Technique," Mobb Deep "The Infamous," C-N-N "The War Report," and either "OB4CL" or "Ready To Die."