Beats Rhymes and Life (Tribe Doc) Review in Variety

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Blockhead wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Saw it this weekend. Very dope.
I think my favorite part in the whole thing was the old A&R guy (his name is slipping my mind right now). he was lolz.
Chris Lighty?

Was hoping you meant Barry Weiss, though, for some odd reason.
Yeah. Lighty was awesome. I wish they had more clips of him in there. He's like Irv gotti if he wasn't a complete retard.
:omgracist:

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Rob Sonic wrote:
SYM wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
Rob Sonic wrote:guys, Phife was a major inspiration to me.
Do people here know this story? you should tell them.
I ran in to Phife on the way to RTB years ago in an airport, I really didn't know what to say to him, but I wanted to say hello. As I approached Phife Dawg I became sort of weirded out by it all because he seemed kind of like he didn't want to be bothered and I started to feel like a fan boy but it was too late as my friend had already said hello.

Phife didn't really react to awesome to that but he was looking at me, so, I'm standing there with this sort of strange in between look on my face and blurted out, "Yeah Man! yeah!, you're a Major inspiration to me!" and just sort of ran off.

truly a moment I will never live down.
heh. Pretty sure this is how the most rational of fans would react. I had no idea how to respond when I ran into Mos Def years ago (outside of a leather store, no less) other than to just give praise. Granted when they're giving off the leave-me-alone vibe it's pretty much impossible to say anything right.

Incidentally, I almost met Phife Dawg today because him and his wife are looking for apartments in Brooklyn and they stopped by the office where I work. Missed 'em by about an hour due to running late as it was.

I suppose there's a funny barb that can be inserted here. Not my territory though...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

First and only time I met Phife was at RTB too and I straight up said "so are you guys ever going to release an album or is the diva just going to keep leading us on with those jiggy shit?" He looked at Ali, both smiled and gave Phife gave me pound and said some words. Ali looked like he wanted to say something too but he was probably too busy of thinking of cock to say anything witty.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:First and only time I met Phife was at RTB too and I straight up said "so are you guys ever going to release an album or is the diva just going to keep leading us on with those jiggy shit?"

Not that I have notoriety/fame in the same stratosphere as phife but, in my experience, when fans come up and ask personal/aggressive questions lie they know you, it always rubs me the wrong way. Even if what they're talking about is some valid shit, the reaction is always a more pleasant variation of "uh...fuck off, bro".

I'd imagine they were both thinking "Who the fuck is the guy?"

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Oh totally, but they're rappers. Rappers I said.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:Oh totally, but they're rappers. Rappers I said.
:lol:

Good point.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Blockhead wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Oh totally, but they're rappers. Rappers I said.
:lol:

Verge

Post by Verge »

apparently left off the docu:
<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T_cQj-oQlk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T_cQj-oQlk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Hopefully there's plenty of dope deleted scenes on the dvd when that drops.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Verge wrote:apparently left off the docu:
<object width="560" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T_cQj-oQlk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7T_cQj-oQlk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Hopefully there's plenty of dope deleted scenes on the dvd when that drops.

Well, if that was left off, then it was with good reason.

Jedisdope

Post by Jedisdope »

i liked the film a lot. i do have to say i would've loved to see more of a focus on the music, but it was still cool.
http://www.jedirosenberg.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@broodbabyjed

Dan

Post by Dan »

DVD/Blu-ray gets released on October 18th.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Dan wrote:DVD/Blu-ray gets released on October 18th.

Has anyone picked this up yet? If so, what are the Special Features/Extras like?

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Afronaut wrote:
Dan wrote:DVD/Blu-ray gets released on October 18th.

Has anyone picked this up yet? If so, what are the Special Features/Extras like?
Like an idiot, I bought this.

There's maybe fifteen minutes of additional footage, most of which is boring/irrelevant. Nothing even remotely revelatory or even interesting.

Save your cash. Fuck Rapaport, seriously.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thun wrote:There's maybe fifteen minutes of additional footage, most of which is boring/irrelevant. Nothing even remotely revelatory or even interesting.
This is some seriously disappointing news.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Afronaut wrote:
Thun wrote:There's maybe fifteen minutes of additional footage, most of which is boring/irrelevant. Nothing even remotely revelatory or even interesting.
This is some seriously disappointing news.
The whole things looks cheap as fuck, especially considering this is Sony. No real booklet just a cover. DVD itself has no artwork on it, just a black print on a mirror disc.

I suppose MAYBE there's a deluxe edition in the works?

#doubtitdoubtit

*edit - I haven't played the film with Rapaport's running commentary, though I can't say I'm optimistic that he says anything worth repeating.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thun wrote:The whole things looks cheap as fuck, especially considering this is Sony. No real booklet just a cover. DVD itself has no artwork on it, just a black print on a mirror disc.

I suppose MAYBE there's a deluxe edition in the works?

#doubtitdoubtit

*edit - I haven't played the film with Rapaport's running commentary, though I can't say I'm optimistic that he says anything worth repeating.
A later to be released deluxe version would almost be worse. I hate having to buy shit like this twice because 3 months later, another, better edition of the same thing comes out.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

That sucks. I might buy just to have but fuck him for hyping up the DVD release with all these added bonuses. Jew nose.

Funkdoobiest

Post by Funkdoobiest »

Film was dope but Rappaport hyping when he was asking questions like he was about to hyperventilate grated on me, glad that shit was at a minimum.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Yeah, poor Parappaport cannot win - even with the people this film was made for.

Fucker shoulda mortgaged his house to release a Criterion-type DVD that 3 people would have bought.

The fact that SONY picked this up at all was a miracle. C'mon guys...

:naswtf:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Busta Ry wrote:Yeah, poor Parappaport cannot win - even with the people this film was made for.

Fucker shoulda mortgaged his house to release a Criterion-type DVD that 3 people would have bought.

The fact that SONY picked this up at all was a miracle. C'mon guys...

:naswtf:
I bought it. Did you?

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

admiral wrote:Loved it
For some reason this film still isn't available on iTunes in the UK, so stole it off the internet and preordered the DVD. Good to hear that the extras are shit.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »