Thun

Beats Rhymes and Life (Tribe Doc) Review in Variety

Post by Thun »

CYSED

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117944380/#
Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest
(Documentary)
By ANDREW BARKER

A Rival Pictures and State Street Films presentation in association with Om Films. Produced by Edward Parks, Frank Mele, Michael Rapaport, Eric Matthies, Robert Benavides, Debra Koffler, ATCQ, Robert Teitel. Co-producers, Justin Alvarado Brown, Erika Williams. Directed, written by Michael Rapaport.
With: Q-Tip, Phife Dawg, Ali Shaheed Mohammed, Jarobi White, Adam Yauch, Michael Diamond, Adam Horovitz, Pharrell Williams, DJ Red Alert, Prince Paul, Large Professor, Pete Rock, Barry Weiss, Common, Busta Rhymes, Mary J. Blige.

A music docu that mostly dodges "Behind the Music"-style tall tales or breathless evangelism, Michael Rapaport's "Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of a Tribe Called Quest" gives the seminal early '90s hip-hop group as stylish and intimate a treatment as fans could hope for, paying as much attention to the music in question as it does to the characters who made it. Evergreen interest in the group should provide very healthy ancillary, and a theatrical excursion is certainly a possible scenario.
First-time filmmaker Rapaport manages to gain quite close access to his subjects -- two band members cry on camera, quite an unusual concession for musicians in this genre -- and makes some very smart choices in shaping the footage. Personal revelations are rarely presented for their own sake, but rather to reveal the import that the band members' complicated relationships have on their music, and the film avoids the de rigueur enumerations of superstar excesses that often plague music docs of this type.

The Queens group always had highly-developed onstage personae, and it's refreshing to learn that these are clearly outgrowths of their actual personalities: Q-Tip is the artiste, both flamboyant and unknowable; Phife Dawg his garrulous, diabetic sidekick; Ali Shaheed Mohammed the stoic behind the turntables; and Jarobi the friendly cypher.

Proceeding through each of the group's five albums, the film allows Tribe and a murderer's row of contemporaries like De La Soul, Large Professor, Pete Rock, Busta Rhymes and the Beastie Boys to make unusually specific commentary on particular pieces. Of particular interest is a scene inside Q-Tip's home studio, where he produces an obscure Lonnie Smith LP from which he unearthed a key drum sample ("I nearly wet my pants (when I heard it)," he recalls), while group discussion of a particularly rewind-worthy rhyme of Phife's from "Electric Relaxation" generates hilarity.

Things turn uncomfortable in the later going, as the group breaks up, then reunites, with festering antagonism between Q-Tip and Phife reaching ugly levels. There's some startling 2008 footage of a backstage blow-up between the two that nearly turns violent, followed by rather vicious post-mortem commentary. Shortly thereafter, Phife's health takes a bad turn, requiring a kidney donation from his wife.

Rapaport attempts to put a happier face on things at the end, as the group reunites for a handful of shows, but it feels a bit disingenuous, as tensions clearly still remain. The film also pays somewhat scant attention to the group's final two albums, which is strange as the penultimate one provides the film with its title.

All in all, however, "Beats, Rhymes & Life" is a remarkably thorough examination of the band, and its hopeful end title revelation that Tribe is still on the contractual hook to produce one more record reveals the filmmaker's clear love for the band.

Archival footage is extensive, with music expertly stitched together by bold-name beat-makers Madlib and Peanut Butter Wolf. Interstitial and opening credits animation sequences are eye-popping.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

a must see.

wonder why these guys started beefing.

and straight up, if you didn't live in the glory days of ATCQ... I feel sorry for you. The world will never be the same.

Low End Theory on cassette >>>> most of hip hop history
and a theatrical excursion is certainly a possible scenario.
ba dum pssh
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

more nuanced review than variety usually writes, that's a good sign initself think
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

CANNOT
WAIT
TO

DL

grass

Post by grass »

I'm interviewing Ali Shaheed tomorrow if anyone got some questions?
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

Thun

Post by Thun »

grass wrote:I'm interviewing Ali Shaheed tomorrow if anyone got some questions?
What is his favorite brand of fruit punch?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i know where he lives

88 brownstone way, englewood, new jersey

third floor

ask him if it's unsettling that a random guy who posts at a messageboard you post at knows almost exactly where he lives

(met him in the elevator, my friend lives on that floor)
Nets 2022

Thun

Post by Thun »

:stalker:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

ask him if he's gonna produce any rap albums any time soon!

ask him what he thinks of Phife and Tip's beef
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Phife dawg apparently got emotional after viewing it on this link.

http://videos.nymag.com/video/Sundance- ... ife%20Dawg

i can't wait to peep it

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

All faggot jokes aside (yeah, like that's possible), it's sort of touching to watch one of your childhood heroes break down in tears.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

blessingindisguise wrote:Phife dawg apparently got emotional after viewing it on this link.

http://videos.nymag.com/video/Sundance- ... ife%20Dawg

i can't wait to peep it
Goddamn. Cannot wait to see this shit.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

This will prob go down as one of my favorite things ever. Tribe is far and away my favorite group of all time.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

wow @ that clip.

need. movie. now.

Req

Post by Req »

Phife >>>>
F.U. MOOLAH

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Req wrote:Phife >>>>
Agreed. Which is why I was a little offended at Variety's sideways diss.
The Queens group always had highly-developed onstage personae, and it's refreshing to learn that these are clearly outgrowths of their actual personalities: Q-Tip is the artiste, both flamboyant and unknowable; Phife Dawg his garrulous, diabetic sidekick; Ali Shaheed Mohammed the stoic behind the turntables; and Jarobi the friendly cypher.
Once my dumbass looked up garrulous, I was like :meh:

Req

Post by Req »

we get it dude, you use your site to go to bat for your faggoty industry pals when they're getting slaughtered (Flex, Swizz etc), your shit is corny.

http://rapradar.com/
YN Blackout

There's always been something about this Michael Rapaport guy, I don't like. SMH. I just can't put my finger on it. And I'm pretty much sick of the ongoing saga behind this Tribe documentary. Something about Sundance didn't sit right with me. Phife cryin' crocodile tears about how he wish Q-Tip knew how much the people love him? Huh? What? Isn't this an authorized project? It seems very telling that only one member of the group showed up to the big reveal. This is supposed to be a shining moment for hip-hop. The story of one of our greatest groups of all-time. We don't even have rap groups anymore! And instead the clouds of controversy won't clear up. What happened to Nas? Didn't the tax dodger spearhead this project in the first place around three years ago. Are you a culture vulture, Mike? An outsider putting his personal agenda above Tribe's legacy? An obsessed stan attempting to turn an authorized work into an unauthorized one? If what Q-Tip told me on Shade 45 is true and that all four members of the group are also producers of the project, I think you need to make things right with your partners, patna. All of 'em. I never did like Zebrahead.
F.U. MOOLAH

Verge

Post by Verge »

Can't wait to see this shit.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I think the movie will reveal otherwise, actually.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

Of particular interest is a scene inside Q-Tip's home studio, where he produces an obscure Lonnie Smith LP from which he unearthed a key drum sample ("I nearly wet my pants (when I heard it)," he recalls),
this is has me amped...i want two hours of this shit

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Req wrote:we get it dude, you use your site to go to bat for your faggoty industry pals when they're getting slaughtered (Flex, Swizz etc), your shit is corny.

http://rapradar.com/
YN Blackout

There's always been something about this Michael Rapaport guy, I don't like. SMH. I just can't put my finger on it. And I'm pretty much sick of the ongoing saga behind this Tribe documentary. Something about Sundance didn't sit right with me. Phife cryin' crocodile tears about how he wish Q-Tip knew how much the people love him? Huh? What? Isn't this an authorized project? It seems very telling that only one member of the group showed up to the big reveal. This is supposed to be a shining moment for hip-hop. The story of one of our greatest groups of all-time. We don't even have rap groups anymore! And instead the clouds of controversy won't clear up. What happened to Nas? Didn't the tax dodger spearhead this project in the first place around three years ago. Are you a culture vulture, Mike? An outsider putting his personal agenda above Tribe's legacy? An obsessed stan attempting to turn an authorized work into an unauthorized one? If what Q-Tip told me on Shade 45 is true and that all four members of the group are also producers of the project, I think you need to make things right with your partners, patna. All of 'em. I never did like Zebrahead.
Yeah he is notorious for that. Since he lost his outlet with XXL this is really all he has.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

I haven't watched this all yet, but...

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OPoO0DXHKKw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OPoO0DXHKKw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GhZtJeKoqwU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GhZtJeKoqwU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

:lastweek: ?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

man he can talk for long
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

He's a pretty cool cat, if only for bringing us a Tribe doc, but he's definitely an old school rap nerd. I can relate and I think most of us can.

TopLeft Recordings

Post by TopLeft Recordings »

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

TopLeft Recordings wrote:
what does this even mean?

Req

Post by Req »

clark bent wrote:
TopLeft Recordings wrote:
what does this even mean?
it means he totally fuckin rocks dude
F.U. MOOLAH

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

cool man!!!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xh ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xh2ir5" width="480" height="295" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>
<b>

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

whens he starring in the larry bird story?