Kno has received a cease and desist letter

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Nav

Post by Nav »

myself wrote:
Busta Ry wrote:As a guy that hasn't had the opportunity to read the open letter to DOOM that Kno wrote, I'd like to say that I find it to be pretty on point. DOOM needs to get over his social anxiety disorder or whatever the fuck his problem is. Didn't Mos Def call him out on that shit on their dual headline tour not so long ago?
People need to get over shit in general. Get over cancer, AIDS, homosexuality, diabetes, hypertension, schizophrenia, whatever these faggots have. Some deceased rappers need to get over their deaths because they owe internet rap fans new material and good shows.
Wordbork.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Just coming in here to say kno has always been an asshole on the Internet. He mocks his fan base, gives himself and his homies tons of props for "saving peoples lives", and now is quitting because a Bork Asian named Chen outed a sample source bringing his world of faggotry down around him. I would say things have come full circle especially if he ends up typing tps reports in a cubicle for the rest of his life.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:Kno's letter was basically saying that DOOM's fuckery [and that is what it was, laziness and fuckery] would end up costing other hip-hop acts when people who are already reluctant to book rappers get burned by a big name like DOOM. The logic was that it just gives them even more reason to become non-rap venues and the result is that it hurts other artists who are actually showing up and doing their shows.

I am a big DOOM fan, but I cannot co-sign stealing from your fan base in quite so disrespectful a fashion. Isn't it enough to put out every beat three times and recycle tracks whenever possible?

As far as Kno's current problem, obviously people are going to do what they want and he apparently acknowledges that but is not going to keep sampling if his own fans dont want to be more discreet. The shortsightedness of online communities is always baffling to me. It's like if back in the day you have a favorite weed spot and you start just telling everyone you see on the street where it's at and posting up signs for where to get that "good dro".

The benefit: meagre and fleeting props
The downside: spot busted and you are back to hiking fifteen blocks uptown to get skimped for some seedy bamboozle

Makes no sense to me, but yeah...the internet yo!
pretty much.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Trademark wrote:Just coming in here to say kno has always been an asshole on the Internet. He mocks his fan base, gives himself and his homies tons of props for "saving peoples lives", and now is quitting because a Bork Asian named Chen outed a sample source bringing his world of faggotry down around him. I would say things have come full circle especially if he ends up typing tps reports in a cubicle for the rest of his life.
Good that you got that "Asian" point in there. That's an important distinction and doesn't at all contradict your "mocking" point.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

I guess I just need a bit of clarification on this. What are the practical implications of the cease and desist order for Kno and the CLs?

Does this just mean that they can no longer produce copies of the record? Or does it mean, that they WILL be taken to court and have money taken taken from them or what?

Ive seen debate over whether or not samples should be identified, but Im not sure of what the practical consquences of getting caught actually are today.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:
myself wrote:
Busta Ry wrote:As a guy that hasn't had the opportunity to read the open letter to DOOM that Kno wrote, I'd like to say that I find it to be pretty on point. DOOM needs to get over his social anxiety disorder or whatever the fuck his problem is. Didn't Mos Def call him out on that shit on their dual headline tour not so long ago?
People need to get over shit in general. Get over cancer, AIDS, homosexuality, diabetes, hypertension, schizophrenia, whatever these faggots have. Some deceased rappers need to get over their deaths because they owe internet rap fans new material and good shows.
I see your point, but honestly if you have social anxiety issues dont tour. Simple as that.
It really is that simple, but hold up...people really think DOOM was doing all of that because of social anxiety?

:rofl:
Don't have any clue and this is just an assumption. But here's a guy that doesn't show up to his own shows and wears a mask in public, so I don't know if it would be extremely far-fetched. There's obviously something wrong.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Doesn't DOOM have Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

Cut the guy some slack.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Busta Ry wrote: Don't have any clue and this is just an assumption. But here's a guy that doesn't show up to his own shows and wears a mask in public, so I don't know if it would be extremely far-fetched. There's obviously something wrong.
After we untangle this mystery it's high time we get to the bottom of Brutus Beefcake's fascination with haircutting.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Busta Ry wrote: Don't have any clue and this is just an assumption. But here's a guy that doesn't show up to his own shows and wears a mask in public, so I don't know if it would be extremely far-fetched. There's obviously something wrong.
After we untangle this mystery it's high time we get to the bottom of Brutus Beefcake's fascination with haircutting.
:cheers:

Also, how did Nas manage the problematic transition from human to firearm?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thun wrote:Also, how did Nas manage the problematic transition from human to firearm?
:lol:

Also
Afronaut wrote:I guess I just need a bit of clarification on this. What are the practical implications of the cease and desist order for Kno and the CLs?

Does this just mean that they can no longer produce copies of the record? Or does it mean, that they WILL be taken to court and have money taken taken from them or what?

Ive seen debate over whether or not samples should be identified, but Im not sure of what the practical consquences of getting caught actually are today.
A lil help from anybody who understands these things?

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Seriously! I'm glad you understand what I'm talking about.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:

looks easy, just jump and headnod to da boombap, the rest just kinda happens
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:
Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:

looks easy, just jump and headnod to da boombap, the rest just kinda happens
Somebody PLEASE superimpose nas's face onto this gif.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

:rofl: :rofl:

TRM go.

Will do it when I get on a comp w/ photoshop if mike doesn't get there first.

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Not to get nerdcrazy on your assses, but the NET Act (The No Electronic Theft Act) of 1997, "provides for criminal prosecution of individuals who engage in copyright infringement under certain circumstances, even when there is no monetary profit or commercial benefit from the infringement." The fact he wasn't gonna make money off of it is inconsequential. In addition, a plaintiff could easily raise a "dilution of intellectual property" suit in civil court as well.

Thun

Post by Thun »

diggy64 wrote:Not to get nerdcrazy on your assses, but the NET Act (The No Electronic Theft Act) of 1997, "provides for criminal prosecution of individuals who engage in copyright infringement under certain circumstances, even when there is no monetary profit or commercial benefit from the infringement." The fact he wasn't gonna make money off of it is inconsequential. In addition, a plaintiff could easily raise a "dilution of intellectual property" suit in civil court as well.
Hey faggot,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgmfyFm30OE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgmfyFm30OE?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

diggy64

Post by diggy64 »

Thun wrote:
diggy64 wrote:Not to get nerdcrazy on your assses, but the NET Act (The No Electronic Theft Act) of 1997, "provides for criminal prosecution of individuals who engage in copyright infringement under certain circumstances, even when there is no monetary profit or commercial benefit from the infringement." The fact he wasn't gonna make money off of it is inconsequential. In addition, a plaintiff could easily raise a "dilution of intellectual property" suit in civil court as well.
Hey faggot,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgmfyFm30OE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CgmfyFm30OE?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ravi4YtUTxo?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ravi4YtUTxo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

why doesnt he just disable comments on youtube?

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

ROSARIO wrote:why doesnt he just disable comments on youtube?
Then he wouldn't have people telling him how his music saved their lives.

:smugkid:

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

nothing would make me happier.. than for those clowns to just hang it up.. dig a lil deeper pal.. sorry the moody blues wants their cut..

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

Mansfield Status wrote:nothing would make me happier.. than for those clowns to just hang it up.. dig a lil deeper pal.. sorry the moody blues wants their cut..
perhaps I'm wrong, but you always struck me as the type that would love to expose peoples samples.

Cyn0zure

Post by Cyn0zure »

The hate on Kno is kind of ridiculous, his rant is no different than the one DJ Premier did on Moment of Truth.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Cyn0zure wrote:The hate on Kno is kind of ridiculous, his rant is no different than the one DJ Premier did on Moment of Truth.
Right, but that was in 1998. A little before YouTube, if I'm not mistaken.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Also I think there is a slight difference from DJ Premier to Kno, just a little.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

That too.

Cyn0zure

Post by Cyn0zure »

Obviously, but the shit they're saying isn't any different.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Cyn0zure wrote:The hate on Kno is kind of ridiculous, his rant is no different than the one DJ Premier did on Moment of Truth.

Thought the same thing. It is literally the exact same rant. Kno is 110% justified in his anger, and the problem he's addressing has been compounded exponentially over the years by the internet.

But the groupthink on this board is more concerned with an artist like Kno's perceived image than the actual merit behind his argument, so pointing out the obvious parallels here is most likely a waste of time.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Combo7 wrote:

Thought the same thing. It is literally the exact same rant. Kno is 110% justified in his anger, and the problem he's addressing has been compounded exponentially over the years by the internet.

But the groupthink on this board is more concerned with an artist like Kno's perceived image than the actual merit behind his argument, so pointing out the obvious parallels here is most likely a waste of time.
When the consensus on the issue at hand is ENTIRELY irresolute and will be so FOREVER, there's not much more to do than crack jokes.

OMG IT REALLY SUCKS THAT ED KOCH DOESNT WANT DA BLAK YOUFS TO DRAW THEIR NAMEZ ON TRANEZ YO

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Busta Ry wrote:
Trademark wrote:Just coming in here to say kno has always been an asshole on the Internet. He mocks his fan base, gives himself and his homies tons of props for "saving peoples lives", and now is quitting because a Bork Asian named Chen outed a sample source bringing his world of faggotry down around him. I would say things have come full circle especially if he ends up typing tps reports in a cubicle for the rest of his life.
Good that you got that "Asian" point in there. That's an important distinction and doesn't at all contradict your "mocking" point.

Oh! Someone has squinty eyes!

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Combo7 wrote:

I honestly didn't think it was even much of a rant. If anything, the tone was fairly muted.

As to the question someone asked about a C&D, basically the lawyers are telling him that they can no longer sell or distribute this music. If he does, they will theoretically sue.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.