Kno has received a cease and desist letter

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

zombie

Kno has received a cease and desist letter

Post by zombie »

Kno has received a cease and desist letter for copyright infringement
Iג€™ve said what I had to say, there is nothing left to discuss so Iג€™m closing thisג€”especially if some people are just going to keep ignoring everything Iג€™ve said to go off on tangents. No need to yell at me, no need to attempt to slap YouTube users. Even my grandmother knew Dangermouse got sued by the Beatlesג€”I donג€™t want to hear anymore arguments that the idea of illegal sampling is some well-kept state secret that nobody knows about.

The music I make infringes on copyrights. I am aware of this and have been aware of this, that is why I donג€™t stress getting rich off of it, I tell people to download it if they want to and I sink any money I do make back into making more records. I am not ג€œblaming fansג€, Iג€™m stating factsג€”public discussion of specific instances of copyright infringement in my work is making it impossible to even create the music period, even if I were to give it away for free. It would still end up on Youtube and Iג€™d still get served by Google-searching lawyers and publishing houses who think they might be able to squeeze money out of me.

APOS would have cost 3+ million dollars to clear all of the samples on itג€”but some people have told me it literally SAVED THEIR LIVES. Should it not exist? Should I now be lectured on legal morality by people with just as many skeletons in their closets and blunts in their ashtrays just because they want to defend their right to talk about samples on one of the biggest websites in the world?

It seems people have forgotten the nature of a true artistג€”I do this because I enjoy it, I think it sounds dope and I think it holds non-monetary value to peopleג€”legalities be damned. Not to get signed, not get on MTV, not to buy a Bentley.

Because of this, I can quit anytime Iג€™d like for any reason Iג€™d likeג€”but Iג€™m not going to be dishonest about the reasons behind it to save a few peopleג€™s feelings. People seem to have issues with the truth when it stands in direct opposition with what they feel entitled to.

Nothing more to say. Thanks for the support from the majority of you who understand my simple premise in discussing this.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Kno should've sent "A piece of strange" to Kool Herc.

damms

Post by damms »

he got caught and now he's crying

obviously he ain't built for this shit
Hold on let me see if I give a damn:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Hes been saying this for years. I think it's fucked up that these sites wouldn't take the info down when he asked them politely and explained why, looks like he was right.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

So APOS is out of print now?
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:So APOS is out of print now?
EBay prices just shot through the roof. They will be paid in Euros.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

kno wrote:but some people have told me it literally SAVED THEIR LIVES
Gregg Popabitch wrote:Kno should've sent "A piece of strange" to Kool Herc.
:lol:

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

QWALMS wrote:
battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:So APOS is out of print now?
EBay prices just shot through the roof. They will be paid in Euros.
:lol:

b.radio

Post by b.radio »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Kno should've sent "A piece of strange" to Kool Herc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

What's the back story to all this? Nothing to do with Kno, but Dangermouse getting sued or a C&D was the best thing to ever happen to him. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY including Kno tried to mirror what DM did with the Black Album.

IMO the Grey Album is what put DM on the map and today he's clocking a few mil a year. Not 1 mil, like 3M if not more.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Philaflava wrote:IMO the Grey Album is what put DM on the map
Truth.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

The Afronaut wrote:
Philaflava wrote:IMO the Grey Album is what put DM on the map
Truth.
Yeah, that's not really debateable. It's not like Ghetto Pop Life put him on everyone's radar.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

too bad he didn't kno better
Nets 2022

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Philaflava wrote:What's the back story to all this?
Didn't really understand the context and searched. This other post of his clarifies:
if idiots donג€™t stop posting sample sources in the PUBLIC comments section on YouTube (the 3rd largest website in the world) and Last**** for e-props. I am going to quit making hip-hop musicג€”and I mean THIS year. This is an absolute promise.

If I get another Cease & Desist Letter because someone couldnג€™t just use DM or e-mails to discuss samples, then Oneirology will be the last rap record I am ever involved in. Chico & The Man will be shelved permanently. Iג€™ll come straight to QN5.com, post a copy of the letter, erase all of my social networking sites and that will be the last you hear from me as a hip-hop producer, ever.

Cross my heart.

I certainly donג€™t do this for the money, so Iג€™m not about to deal with lawyers over some little boom-bap songs that nobody cares about because people that claim to ג€œloveג€ what I do canג€™t keep themselves from stabbing me in the back.

I quit. ג€œtak08810ג€ wants to talk about samples on the internet without being ג€œtargetedג€ by rap producers. Make sure you keep talking until you have nothing left to discuss.

RIP CunninLynguists 2001-2011. It was fun.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

I guess someone aired out the uncleared samples he used on some blog or forum?

As much as I like the compilations of sample material, like the Wu-Tang Shaolin Soul series, I do think it is kind of whack to discover the sample someone used on an independent album, read the liner notes of the CD, and see it is not listed (do people still buy cd's and know what liner notes are?), then still throw it out in a blog post where it can easily pop up in any Google search. I've been guilty of doing this myself, though.

This is part of the reason we can't have nice things (like another Nation Of Millions).

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Also, LOL from the QN5 Board
TAK08810 wrote:
KNO wrote:
TAK08810 wrote: Gotta love how you protected the identity of the lawyer who sent that garbage e-mail but revealed the screenames of the youtube posters.
Probably because they, like you, donג€™t use their real identities, job titles, business names, etc. when posting on the internet like myself or lawyers doג€”which only incites their reluctance to filter anything they do because there are no repercussions.

Here is some advice on ג€œsolving the issueג€ג€”choke on a dick. I didnג€™t ask for your opinion, nor do I give a shit about your 1000 excuses for the actions of other grown-ups you donג€™t personally know because you relate to them and it made you sensitive.

I take responsibility for my actions. I make illegal art & have accepted the responsibility for that for 10 years. The letter of the law has been established for decades on this issue, so if people are as clueless to these facts as you seem to think I wonג€™t be participating anymore because their clueless-ness doesnג€™t change reality. I didnג€™t ask anyone to accost people on YouTubeג€”I just said Iג€™m quitting if people insist on doing it & you and ג€œallyhitchג€ got your feelings hurt about it.

Talking about Iג€™m ג€œblaming and attacking fansג€.

LOL @ attacking fans. Everything Iג€™ve ever done is for fans, but some fans seem to think they can do no wrong and artists owe them the world. Nobody owes me shit and I donג€™t owe anyone shit, donג€™t ever get that twisted. Iג€™ll sell all of my equipment tomorrow and not feel an ounce of guilt about it.
LOL so you think Iג€™m some troll hiding behind a username.

Andrew Chen
Village B 55, Georgetown University, Washington DC
732-822-9055
tak08810@gmail.com
AIM: tak08810

I just suggested you were targeting the wrong people and IMO, you were the one that overreacted.

Now, Iג€™m done discussing this on here since Iג€™ve revealed my ג€œreal identityג€. If you want to continue you can contact me in person, on phone, or e-mail. I am a fairly busy person though. So donג€™t expect me to answer everyone. And if you feel the need to harass me for what I believe are relatively civil comments, you can do that too and it will show others what kind of person you are.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Philaflava wrote:What's the back story to all this?
Didn't really understand the context and searched. This other post of his clarifies:
if idiots donג€™t stop posting sample sources in the PUBLIC comments section on YouTube (the 3rd largest website in the world) and Last**** for e-props. I am going to quit making hip-hop musicג€”and I mean THIS year. This is an absolute promise.

If I get another Cease & Desist Letter because someone couldnג€™t just use DM or e-mails to discuss samples, then Oneirology will be the last rap record I am ever involved in. Chico & The Man will be shelved permanently. Iג€™ll come straight to QN5.com, post a copy of the letter, erase all of my social networking sites and that will be the last you hear from me as a hip-hop producer, ever.

Cross my heart.

I certainly donג€™t do this for the money, so Iג€™m not about to deal with lawyers over some little boom-bap songs that nobody cares about because people that claim to ג€œloveג€ what I do canג€™t keep themselves from stabbing me in the back.

I quit. ג€œtak08810ג€ wants to talk about samples on the internet without being ג€œtargetedג€ by rap producers. Make sure you keep talking until you have nothing left to discuss.

RIP CunninLynguists 2001-2011. It was fun.
Dude is coming across kind of bitch made here. Sampling laws were already crazy in 2001. Play the game or go home.

I've never listened to their albums anyways. Am I missing anything?

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

truthaddict wrote:
I've never listened to their albums anyways. Am I missing anything?
Not really (then maybe). Their early stuff is kindercare raps and their later stuff can be summed up by one thing-- Kno's feathery emo bangs.

A Piece of Strange is absolutely beautiful, though. Production on that is bonkers. Download the instrumental version.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not that big a fan of Kno's music. He's got beats, but personally I'm not checking for any of his solo albums.

That said, it used to be a rule that you don't expose someone's sample sources.

And the idea that people can get in any sort of legal trouble over samples used on tracks that they aren't trying to sell is fucked.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

truthaddict wrote: Sampling laws were already crazy in 2001.
True, but youtube didn't exist until 2005.

truthaddict wrote: Dude is coming across kind of bitch made here. Play the game or go home.
Agreed, but from his perspective I don't think he's being entirely unreasonable in the request (even if the expectation of the request being honored is pretty laughable).

It basically seems like he's lamenting that there's not some hip-hop-insiders honor code that's universally adhered to across the Internet.

He has a GREAT reason to want to do so, but basically wants to micromanage the Youtube comments section (of all places).

IMO he's basically being entirely reasonable and completely fanciful at the same time.

As for him acting kinda bitch made, well yeah, but I think most people would act kind of bitch made if their livelihood from doing what they enjoy is threatened and they're suddenly potentially faced with returning to a shitty day job (I have no idea about his financials and if this is just posturing on his part).

Versive wrote: And the idea that people can get in any sort of legal trouble over samples used on tracks that they aren't trying to sell is fucked.
To be fair though, this is over a sample on APOS, which IIRC they definitely sold and made money off of, right?

(not saying I even remotely give a fuck about clearing samples or not, just that the legality of it is the reverse of what you're implying).

Thun

Post by Thun »

He's posted here numerous times mocking people who have normal office jobs, bragging that he gets to sign tits at shows while other people make spreadsheets. Does that help provide some interesting context?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^^ LOL

If true you just shit down the neck of my rambling "context" with a complete and total :copy: of compact, single sentence context.

If true, well fuck me then.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

PopeyeJones wrote:
truthaddict wrote: Sampling laws were already crazy in 2001.
True, but youtube didn't exist until 2005.

truthaddict wrote: Dude is coming across kind of bitch made here. Play the game or go home.
Agreed, but from his perspective I don't think he's being entirely unreasonable in the request (even if the expectation of the request being honored is pretty laughable).

It basically seems like he's lamenting that there's not some hip-hop-insiders honor code that's universally adhered to across the Internet.

He has a GREAT reason to want to do so, but basically wants to micromanage Youtube comments section (of all places).

IMO he's basically being entirely reasonable and completely fanciful at the same time.

As for him acting kinda bitch made, well yeah, but I think most people would act kind of bitch made if their livelihood from doing what they enjoy is threatened and they're suddenly potentially faced with returning to a shitty day job (I have no idea about his financials and if this is just posturing on his part).
That was harsh, I guess. I just think him writing "I'm going to quit and never release another album if you don't stop", or however he worded it, is overreacting. But what do I know? He may have a huge sum to pay up, and if I was facing even a $5000 fine for a sample that I used 5 years ago, and it was keeping me from feeding my kid, then I would be pissed off too.

It was just in wording.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Thun wrote:He's posted here numerous times mocking people who have normal office jobs, bragging that he gets to sign tits at shows while other people make spreadsheets. Does that help provide some interesting context?
:rofl: now that is bitchmade.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Kno has proven himself an absolute faggot on the internet numerous times.

His samples getting outed=karma's strike for him bashing MF Doom for weeks and weeks and weeks.

zombie

Post by zombie »

This is what happens when the majority of your fanbase is a bunch a nerds that have nothing better to do than to point out on youtube the samples you use to strengthen that e-penis all day everyday.

Your fanbase will destroy you.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

zombie wrote:
Your fanbase will destroy you.
The internet will destroy everyone.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

As a fan i want artists to be unconstrained in terms of the material they sample, but i also like to know the original sample. Word to shaolin soul, I didn't know lyn collins- "aint no sunshine" before that, now it's my favourite song.

...............so the only solution is to change copyright law. I know technology lobbying groups are pushing for a relaxation of patent law, unfortunately it seems that hip hop fans are underrepresented in congress.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

vinylpops wrote:Kno has proven himself an absolute faggot on the internet numerous times.

His samples getting outed=karma's strike for him bashing MF Doom for weeks and weeks and weeks.
I think I remember this. Didn't he write an open letter to MF Doom or something complaining about him pulling off some Andy Kaufman shit at his shows? Link Please.
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:...............so the only solution is to change copyright law. I know technology lobbying groups are pushing for a relaxation of patent law, unfortunately it seems that hip hop fans are underrepresented in congress.
This should be in Obama's top 5 agendas. Save music first, health care will work itself out.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

PopeyeJones wrote:It basically seems like he's lamenting that there's not some hip-hop-insiders honor code that's universally adhered to across the Internet.
Pretty much sums it up. Its unfortunate no doubt but that shit is beyond dead in the internet age.
truthaddict wrote:I think I remember this. Didn't he write an open letter to MF Doom or something complaining about him pulling off some Andy Kaufman shit at his shows? Link Please.
I thought that letter was on point. Like DOOM but hated that Doomposter shit he was pulling.