worst ear for beats

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

worst ear for beats

Post by Philaflava »

there are a few like rick ross who have an impeccable taste for beats, then there are rappers like nas.

who has the worst ear? i just listened to U.B.R. (Unauthorized Biography Of Rakim) and can't believe :naswtf: thought that beat would be acceptable. since the mid 90's he has had some of the shittest beats on his albums.

add on.

rhickey

Post by rhickey »

Nas came to mind instantly seeing the topic title. He's the king of shitty beat selection. Whoever his A&R team is needs to be dragged into the streets and shot

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

rhickey wrote:Nas came to mind instantly seeing the topic title. He's the king of shitty beat selection. Whoever his A&R team is needs to be dragged into the streets and shot
This.

I have a reasonable version of U.B.R. from a Dirty Harry mixtape version ca 2006, where he mixes in original Eric B. & Rakim beats. I listed to that version a lot more often than the original.

Thun

Post by Thun »

MC DJ Premier

A Dirty Lurker

Post by A Dirty Lurker »

Canibus
My supersonics leave ya mute like Maggie Simpson.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

Cappadonna on his post Pillage shit.

Of course Nas came to mind.

I think certain rappers are so weeded/drugged up at times that when they hear any beat the shit probably sounds ok. It's just a theory. Hard for me to come up with any other reason for their choices in beats, though.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Nas is the easy one.

Ras Kass.

I'm sure people will say Eminem, but it seems like he just realized that he can make more money by just doing his own atrocious production without negatively impacting his sales (somehow).

People who keep working with 9th Wonder.

FWIW I fucking despise El-P's production, but that doesn't count b/c a lot of people love it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PopeyeJones wrote: Ras Kass.
Yup.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:

FWIW I fucking despise El-P's production, but that doesn't count b/c a lot of people love it.
Whole discography or just recent work?

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

krs one (later works)

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:

Ehh, it has been a long time since I've made a point to listen to the wares of either of them. I think both statements are better read as only somewhat informed grand generalizations.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

Ludacris

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

soul on ice has good beats & he picked that jadakiss beat too..
i haven't really heard much ras kass outside of his first few albums tho

Nav

Post by Nav »

hellriser wrote:krs one (later works)
Godsville is horrible so agreed.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

step one

Post by step one »

RoKnew wrote:Ludacris
Really?
He always has his eye on that radio/club single and had a good run in the early 00s - Neptunes & Timbaland beats when they were at their peak plus early Kanye (Stand Up) and more recently Premier.

Nas rhymes on some great beats aswell but they dont always make the cut (hence the Lost Tapes being so good) - it kind of suggests he (or his label) just cant tell the difference between good and bad, or he's so focused on his lyrics he doesnt really care about the beat. Less talented rappers might be more particular about the beat as it'll compensate for weaker lyrics. Just a theory.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

I am a fan of Nas' late period work. I am also aware that this puts me in a distinct minority on this board but much maligned beats like Blunt Ashes or M.O.B. or Hold Down The Block, I actually like in the context of the song.

I have a bigger problem with Cam'Ron, post Purple Haze (which had a couple wack beats itself but plenty of fire). Killa Season and Crime pays were packed with derivative throwaways that sounded even cheaper than they probably were.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

step one wrote:
RoKnew wrote:Ludacris
Really?
He always has his eye on that radio/club single and had a good run in the early 00s - Neptunes & Timbaland beats when they were at their peak plus early Kanye (Stand Up) and more recently Premier.
Luda always has some bangers for his singles but IMO he picks a lot of throwaway/mediocre beats translating to a lotta filler on his albums

supnick

Post by supnick »

buddens

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:

Ehh, it has been a long time since I've made a point to listen to the wares of either of them. I think both statements are better read as only somewhat informed grand generalizations.
Word. I mean he's no John Robinson.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:
Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:

:lol:

You have a preternatural, employee-like memory for asides that can later be turned into micro-disses. And of course my dumb ass wandered in not even knowing the trap had been set.

:cheers:

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:
Thun wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote:

:lol:

You have a preternatural, employee-like memory for asides that can later be turned into micro-disses. And of course my dumb ass wandered in not even knowing the trap had been set.

:cheers:
I'm really just fucking around. John Robinson is cool, he's a local cat and I've known him since about 1996 when he was putting out Scienz Of Life songs on Fondle 'Em. And yes, he is def. better than Kweli.

I'm just really wondering whether or not you like The Cold Vein.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

thun disclosure time - how many time did you stinkfinger stacey epps behind the grease trucks
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

House of Games

Post by House of Games »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:I have a bigger problem with Cam'Ron, post Purple Haze (which had a couple wack beats itself but plenty of fire). Killa Season and Crime pays were packed with derivative throwaways that sounded even cheaper than they probably were.
Yes. Except for maybe like 3 joints, Purple Haze is a G.O.A.T. record for me. but I dont know what happened to dude post that.
Cam w/ Heatmakerz era >>>>>> anything

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle wrote:thun disclosure time - how many time did you stinkfinger stacey epps behind the grease trucks
Zero, but the god shared two-strawed milkshakes with Vita mad times back in 6th grade...

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

House of Games wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:I have a bigger problem with Cam'Ron, post Purple Haze (which had a couple wack beats itself but plenty of fire). Killa Season and Crime pays were packed with derivative throwaways that sounded even cheaper than they probably were.
Yes. Except for maybe like 3 joints, Purple Haze is a G.O.A.T. record for me. but I dont know what happened to dude post that.
Cam w/ Heatmakerz era >>>>>> anything
I have started wondering if Cam never really had much of an ear for beats and album-making in general. That's the way it is starting to look, kinda like he just wandered into the Rocafella situation which gave him access to Kanye and Just at crucial points in their evolution as producers. And he happened to have the Heatmakers first from other associations, which also was timely. Because although I like his first two albums, the production is up and down on them despite what I imagine were solid budgets. Then once he is on the Roc the production steps up big time, only to fall off harder than ever the minute he is back on his own.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Cam is gifted as an emcee but lazy and deficient as an artist. It's just that so many people here ride his jock to distant galaxies that you'd never suspect it to be the truth.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Thun wrote:Cam is gifted as an emcee but lazy and deficient as an artist.
This is true but his commitment (or lack thereof) to actual artisty came and went though. Now, it's at an all time nadir, while on S.D.E. or Purple Haze, I feel like he was motivated to do more than just a hot single and collect a check.

Certainly he always seemed to be torn between what he was capable of and clearly enjoyed doing lyrically and how not concerned with actual MC'ing he wanted to appear to be.

I also think he is one of those cats who needs a great A&R, someone to be like nah, forget that, do this. Instead he had Duke Da God.

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

T.I. after Trap Muzik.

Me Still

Post by Me Still »

Nas is the King of that. He has albums worth of examples. Dude seems to not give a shit about what beat he is rapping on. It is just coincidence if a he is rapping and the beat is good. When I listen to new Nas shit, I expect every beat to be weak as hell.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Most older rappers are starting to pick a lot of shitbeats because they don't truly understand the contemporary sound and seem out of place conforming to trends rather than setting them. Often these 'veterans' even appear uncomfortable on some of the beats that end up on their albums, and that's not even just keeping forced 'club-bangers' in mind.