DOOM thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

DaBonks

DOOM thread

Post by DaBonks »

DOOM

Enigmatic MC/producer, 1988-PRESENT

DANIEL DUMILE ג€“ BETTER KNOWN AS DOOM AMONG MANY OTHER STAGE NAMES ג€“ TAKES A BREAK FROM THE STUDIO LAYING DOWN TRACKS WITH RADIOHEADג€™S THOM YORKE FOR A CHAT TO CHRIS YATES AS HE PREPARES FOR HIS LONG OVERDUE AUSTRALIAN DEBUT.

Itג€™s abundantly clear from the first ג€œyo wassup?ג€ that the deep baritone booming down the line is not the evil mastermind DOOM at all. However, itג€™s not a DOOMpostor, one of the infamous stand-ins he has sent to perform in his place at shows to protest against his fans stealing his music for free ג€“ or maybe just to fuck with them. Nor is it the scoundrel Viktor Vaughn ג€“ the venomous villain who has been in hiding since unleashing his MC-devastating back to back records in 2003 and 2004.
No, this cat is someone else ג€“ itג€™s the extremely polite Daniel Dumile, a man known to inhabit the psyche of the aforementioned notorious bad asses and many more besides.
When did you first realise you had such a gift with words and that they could be so powerful?
ג€œI dunno [laughs], you surprised me with that one. I guess it is a gift but I mean I donג€™t know, to me itג€™s normal. Everybody can do it, itג€™s just a matter of tapping into that part of your brain, nahג€™mean? I think everybody does it naturally, the fact that people can find it entertaining shows that. You know itג€™s like if one guyג€™s doing it and the next guy can find it entertaining that shows itג€™s something thatג€™s accessible to all humans. Itג€™s a matter of honing it. I always like to fuck with words and shit. Thereג€™s something about words and phonetics and slang ג€“ things of that nature have always intrigued me. If you practice anything for a while itג€™s gonna become second nature to you, know what Iג€™m saying?ג€
The re-release of your first MF DOOM record Operation Doomsday is coming out, and youג€™ve said you donג€™t really listen to your music once itג€™s been recorded. Was it painful doing the remastering?
ג€œIt was actually cool, know what Iג€™m saying? You know itג€™s not as corny as I thought it would be. [Laughs] That shit is dope and it gives me a new respect from where it started, you know the concepts ג€“ and itג€™s not too far from what weג€™re doing now. That shit seems like timeless you know? Thereג€™s some different versions of some of the songs that people have never heard, so I think for the real hardcore fans thereג€™s some stuff like that.ג€
Now that most of the major record labels are extinct, whoג€™s left to be DOOMג€™s nemesis?
ג€œI would say DOOMג€™s nemesis is everything thatג€™s going against human development, and moving the youth in a forward momentum. Everything thatג€™s going against that is my ג€“ thatג€™s DOOMג€™s nemesis. I donג€™t want to point them out directly because they might not be aware yet and I wanna get my sneak attack on. You know there are a lot of things going on in the world, with the situation in Tunisia and the situation in Egypt. Thereג€™s a lot of people trying to bring structure and control things that are uncontrollable, you know. Human nature and the way people are in general needs to flourish in a natural way, and the way I see it, the youth are the people who are bringing up new ideas in technology and culture and anything that hinders that, thatג€™s DOOMג€™s nemesis.ג€
Youג€™re in the studio now right? What are you working on?
ג€œWell Iג€™m just finishing up the new Madvillain record, Iג€™m doing some stuff with Thom Yorke, Iג€™m working on a record Iג€™m doing for Williams Street Records with Adult Swim in the States you know, so a couple of different projects Iג€™m finishing up.ג€
Whatג€™s the project with Thom Yorke?
ג€œWeג€™re working on some duets, some duet songs and shit. Just like preliminary shit but weג€™ll probably end up doing a whole record together.ג€
Heג€™s a fan right? He did that remix of Gazillion Ear for you?
ג€œYeah that shit came out dope. Oh, heג€™s cool ג€“ he got a lot of ill ass ideas and shit you know.ג€
When youג€™re working on collaborations is it swapping files or do you actually get in the studio together?
ג€œHmm, it varies. Sometimes itג€™s done in the same studio, most of the time itג€™s swapping files and shit, but we try to make it as natural as possible ג€“ like, Iג€™ll have a conversation with the person on the phone that Iג€™m doing the collaboration with and see where theyג€™re coming from you know? Share a couple of ideas so when it comes to recording, weג€™re pretty professional so we can record separately and itג€™s the same difference nahג€™mean? One conversation can do it, it can be a conversation on the phone and you just need to do that for it to work and get the natural feel.ג€
You and Ghostface Killah work so well togetherג€¦
ג€œYeah no doubt, I mean he reminds me of someone I knew from school or some shit. New York rhymers are like born rhyming you know, and him especially, heג€™s a certain unique character. It comes together pretty naturally. Itג€™s like this ג€“ when Iג€™m with him I gotta be on my toes you know, I canג€™t be slacking it off. Not like Iג€™m ever slack but you know Iג€™m using all my sounds. We come from the same school and see the same vision as far as taking hip hop forward you know, with a forward momentum. Weג€™re still breaking new ground, thereג€™s a few of us out there who are still doing it like that.ג€

OFF THE DOOM CLOCK
Daniel Dumile has been crafting rhymes with ever increasing sophistication since the early 90s, when his group KMD was drawn to a premature conclusion as a result of the tragic death of the groupג€™s other core member, Danielג€™s brother Subroc. The subsequent release of their second album was then cancelled by their record label ג€“ entitled Black Bastards, it featured a controversial caricatured image of a black man hanging from the gallows.
He seemed to drop off planet earth, until a mysterious masked rapper named MF DOOM came out of nowhere ג€“ a supervillan intent on wreaking revenge on the music industry and the world at large with intelligent wordplay and a biting wit that set a new standard in rap forever.
Over the course of the interview he refers to himself in third person as DOOM, or as ג€œweג€ or occasionally
ג€œIג€. Although it sounds like heג€™s crazy as shit, he seems to possess a real empathy for humankind and has a genuine utopian vision for the future. Quite the opposite to the supervillain character of DOOM.
Collaborations represent his most well known work, notably the Danger Doom project with super-producer Danger Mouse, and Madvillain, a concept record with beats by Madlib, a sequel to which is in production featuring guest spots by his good friend Mos Def and TV On The Radioג€™s Dave Sitek.
He started Metal Face Records (the business side of which he admits is mostly playing Grand Theft Auto on Xbox Live), but it represents his passion for the purity of the music.
ג€œThe main thing is that nobody else is in control. Weג€™re as flexible as we can be and if we want to do something thereג€™s nobody saying ג€˜Nah, you canג€™t let ג€˜em do thatג€™ you know what Iג€™m saying? It keeps the whole creative side nice and flexible, nahג€™ mean?ג€
http://www.threedworld.com.au/?p=2916

Him and Jay Elect better start releasing something.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Not reading.

Summarize that, please.

And why is radiohead dude in the topic title.

questions need answering.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Have no idea what a DOOM/Thom Yorke album would sound like, but if Yorke is actually getting DOOM in the studio and getting him to work, more power to him.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

doom been bullshittin. we still waitin on mv2 foh

mishk

Post by mishk »

ill ask him on monday where mv2 is at :lol:

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Definitely happening. DEFINITELY.

Right after the album with Ghostface, that new KMD album, and Madvillain 2.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Definitely happening. DEFINITELY.

but before all that we have matters of a bridge for sale to discuss
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i want that remastered Operation Doomsday

and that lunchbox and shit is cool but i just want the cd, are they gonna sell just the cd or what

Lid

Post by Lid »

thom york gazillion ear remix is raw, and the uzi weighs a ton beat is raw. this has potential to be fire

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

The potential of a Doom/Thom Yorke collabo for a full album is scary. I won't keep my hopes up, but that ish would probably be mind blowing.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lol

doom is notorious for announcing shit that never sees the light of day

most of these kinds of high-concept collaborations don't pan out to anything interesting beyond novelty value, more often than not they feel forced and stilted

the gazillion ear remix thing is superfluous at best

thom yorke is a whining fagot in general

smh at all of this so hard

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

drizzle wrote:

Lol.

I suspect that every advance DOOM gets puts us farther and farther from him ever doing anything.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
drizzle wrote:

Lol.

I suspect that every advance DOOM gets puts us farther and farther from him ever doing anything.
So true...I was just thinking that DOOM HAD to have gotten some cheese up front from yorke. If he won't get in the studio with Madlib, why would he w/ yorke?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

unclebengi wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
drizzle wrote:

Lol.

So true...I was just thinking that DOOM HAD to have gotten some cheese up front from yorke. If he won't get in the studio with Madlib, why would he w/ yorke?
Well, you're right. For money. Madlib is cool but Radiohead is arguably the biggest band in the world right now. Thom Yorke's resources could make this attractive enough for DOOM to put the work in.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Smitty wrote:
unclebengi wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
drizzle wrote:

Lol.

Well, you're right. For money. Madlib is cool but Radiohead is arguably the biggest band in the world right now. Thom Yorke's resources could make this attractive enough for DOOM to put the work in.
As opposed to just pocketing the advance and puttering around while you wait for the next sucker?
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Thom Yorke? Yeeeesh. Worst possible thing ever. The end.

Put Doom in the studio with Zaytoven and Mouse and let his nuts hang.

zombie

Post by zombie »

pause

supnick

Re: Doom is working again! Or so he says. Thom Yorke btw.

Post by supnick »

the super villy wrote:ג€œI would say DOOMג€™s nemesis is everything thatג€™s going against human development, and moving the youth in a forward momentum. Everything thatג€™s going against that is my ג€“ thatג€™s DOOMג€™s nemesis. I donג€™t want to point them out directly because they might not be aware yet and I wanna get my sneak attack on.

Verge

Post by Verge »

drizzle wrote: the gazillion ear remix thing is superfluous at best

thom yorke is a whining fagot in general
:cheers:

...And I can honestly see the Madvillain 2 happening within the next 2 years. But ixnay on the ghostface shit and this York shit and whatever else, I just don't see it happening and I really am not interested in a thom york/doom album at all. Though I was pretty surprised how good doom's last album came out without many of his own beats or madlib beats, he still had a good line up there. But if dukes is gonna throw him a nice advance, why not?

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

how the fuck mv2 aint come out yet. i mean these days doom albums is down to like 35 minites if u lucky. im bout readey to give up on this nigga

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

this Remastered Operation Doomsday sounds NIIIIIIIIIIIICCE

:doom: :doom: :doom: :doom: :doom: :doom: :doom: :doom:

Versive

Post by Versive »

I predict the 2nd DOOM renaissance will occur between 2012-2014 and by the end of it he will be all of yous guys' favorite rapper, again that is.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I like this.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFgdIBW180k?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xFgdIBW180k?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

JJ DOOM (Jneiro Janel & DOOM) Album "Key to the Kuffs" coming soon on Lex Records. Add Madvillainy 2 and the Thom Yorke collabo and he's got at least three records on the horizon... allegedly. I know it seems unlikely, but wouldn't it be awesome if what I said in my last post happens.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

nice find

i like this, way more than the retarded remixes they leaked. jneiro is a talented dude, having his shit sloppily remixed by some indy rock fag was a borderline insulting grab for publicity

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

:doom:

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

drizzle wrote:i like this, way more than the retarded remixes they leaked. jneiro is a talented dude, having his shit sloppily remixed by some indy rock fag was a borderline insulting grab for publicity
Did someone from TV on the Radio run over your dog or something??? Or is every "indy rocker" just a fag by default? I'm not a TV on the Radio fan per say, but Sitek is a very well respected producer/musician and I had no problem with his remix, especially considering it contained the best flows from DOOM in several years. It doesn't sound like a publicity grab either, Sitek and Jarel previously worked together on a remix of Gazzillion Ear.

This new track is cool, but I've always felt DOOM struggles with the fast raps, can't really stay on beat.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

unclebengi wrote:per say

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lol you have your opinion, i have mine. feel free to express your opinion in a civilized reasonable adult manner and I will continue to express mine through wild hyperbole and hate speech. obv, i thought that remix sucked something fierce

:cheers:

when a record label has a choice to release a piece of the original song recorded by a fairly lesser known rap producer, or to release a remix of said song by a much better known rock musician, and goes with the latter... you can see how a publicity grab might come to mind.

that remix snippet got instantly grabbed up and posted by a multitude of sites, many of which don't habitually follow/post rap. something tells me the song that versive posted won't be so lucky. if i'm wrong on that... well good for jj doom and i'm an asshole

and btw, most indy rockers really are fags by default

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

drizzle wrote:that remix snippet got instantly grabbed up and posted by a multitude of sites, many of which don't habitually follow/post rap. something tells me the song that versive posted won't be so lucky. if i'm wrong on that... well good for jj doom and i'm an asshole
I get you that having his name on it will get it attention, my point was just that they had a prior relationship and worked TOGETHER and probably will continue to do so. It wasn't something they emailed off to a hot producer of the moment. Jarel and DOOM are probably both fans of TV on the Radio unlike yourself.
and btw, most indy rockers really are fags by default
All I needed to hear, just wanted to know the roots of the hate yo...

And to Employee, I'm your idol son.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

unclebengi wrote:
drizzle wrote:that remix snippet got instantly grabbed up and posted by a multitude of sites, many of which don't habitually follow/post rap. something tells me the song that versive posted won't be so lucky. if i'm wrong on that... well good for jj doom and i'm an asshole
I get you that having his name on it will get it attention, my point was just that they had a prior relationship and worked TOGETHER and probably will continue to do so. It wasn't something they emailed off to a hot producer of the moment. Jarel and DOOM are probably both fans of TV on the Radio unlike yourself.
that's a reasonable observation and probably a right one (altough the idea that they worked together on the remix might be a stretch simply because of how it was billed). my point was more about which version they chose to go with, and i think you see why their choice seems like a calculated grab at audiences the original might not have reached. its a smart thing to do from their perspective, but still kinda a dick move. i am almost certain that the original version will be >> than the remix