Open Mike Eagle rap shit place

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Hater alert.

What am I not getting here? The beat and hook are cool. But this is Common circa 2002 coffee-shop fingersnapper whisper rap to my ears.

DLG

Post by DLG »

mike is more whimsical than gay imo.

it's not my favorite shit in the world, but I can listen to mike's rap without feeling like a fag and he does a good job of making "art rap" sound fun and unpretentious imo. those are his best qualities imo, though I probably enjoy his shit more when he is in rappity rappity mode, like with thirsty fish.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Hater alert.

What am I not getting here? The beat and hook are cool. But this is Common circa 2002 coffee-shop fingersnapper whisper rap to my ears.
Lyrics bear no resemblance to Common on any level.

But this is a good time to quote him and say if you don't like it, you don't like it. There is nothing really to miss. Have you heard any of OME's other stuff? If you don't like that either, then the mystery is solved.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Thun

Post by Thun »

This song is not the best introduction to his style for someone who has never heard his music, as it operates on a level of subtlety that virtually no rapper would employ on a single, which I suspect is part of the point. It's a challenging listen.

My questions to you are:

1) What other OME music have you listened to?
2) How do you usually describe the music you do like from the outset? What qualities stand out, what immediately captures your attention, what do you expect out of rap music?

If you can answer these questions honestly without resorting to some kind of humorous catch phrase to "zing" me or whatever, I can probably do a decent job of letting you know what it is your missing.

If not, you're a faggot. Just kidding.

Gyangsta 4 Life

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:

But this is a good time to quote him and say if you don't like it, you don't like it. There is nothing really to miss. Have you heard any of OME's other stuff? If you don't like that either, then the mystery is solved.
Yeh, the Common comparison was with respect to the energy and delivery more than anything else.

I guess it would be easier to write OME's music off as "just not my thing" if it wasn't so roundly praised here.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Nice summer jam right here. Good shit, Mike.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:

Yeh, the Common comparison was with respect to the energy and delivery more than anything else.

I guess it would be easier to write OME's music off as "just not my thing" if it wasn't so roundly praised here.
havent we been down this road before?

Gyangsta 4 Life

Thun wrote: My questions to you are:

1) What other OME music have you listened to?
2) How do you usually describe the music you do like from the outset? What qualities stand out, what immediately captures your attention, what do you expect out of rap music?
1. I've seen the video for that track he did in the college classroom with the catholic school girls and the one where he was at the nail salon. Didn't particularly like either of them. Sometimes a video can negatively affect my opinion of the music, though.

2. First thing I check for is a 'hot' beat. This track fits that criterion more or less.

I suppose I prefer rapping that has a sense of urgency/hunger/indignation. Lyrical content is somewhat secondary to me. You can rap on any topic as long as you sound passionate about it and have a good energetic voice and flow. OME's music lacks those qualities imo. Are there any instances of him "going in/hard" on a track? Does he ever sound even slightly offensive? I don't necessarily need rap I can rob liquor stores to, but this is just so far on the soundtrack-to-an-underwater-birth end of the spectrum that I have a hard time understanding its universal acceptance here.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Well if you didn't like iRock, either the song or video then more than likely you won't like OME. Dude may not be doing something that hasn't been heard before, but he is doing it better than most today and is completely refreshing in every sense of the word. His writing is severely underrated.

Thun

Post by Thun »

It's not your thing, then.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote: Dude may not be doing something that hasn't been heard before
The closest artists I can think of to OME are Aceyalone and Abstract Rude, and OME has gone far above the call of duty to differentiate himself in significant ways.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Yeah, it probably won't be your thing but here's a song where he "goes hard" (kinda?)
<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/62spzbigfZQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/62spzbigfZQ?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Agreed with Gloss about his underrated writing. He's so clever it flies under the radar lots of the time if you're not paying close attention.
Also, Mike, if that homeboy sandman and you thing were to ever happen, holler at me. I'll produce as much of that as you'd let me.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
I have a hard time understanding its universal acceptance here.
maybe you'd sleep a little better at night if you understood that after two ep's and an album having been circulated round here that most people who arent in to what i do typically avoid threads or posts that involve me. im far from univarsally accepted around here. I've been called corny on this board more times than i'd like to remember.

DLG

Post by DLG »

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Blockhead wrote:
Agreed with Gloss about his underrated writing. He's so clever it flies under the radar lots of the time if you're not paying close attention.
Also, Mike, if that homeboy sandman and you thing were to ever happen, holler at me. I'll produce as much of that as you'd let me.
#fuckyeah

Gyangsta 4 Life

Thun wrote:Best rapper out right now. Dead serious.
I'd have left the thread alone if not for statements like these.

Better than Earl and Jay Electronica?

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:

yeah but even if it is a hyperbole why does it bother you so much that other people like what you dont?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

OME might be the best thing about the leftcoast in years. It may take another real Dre album for people to give a shit about Cali again. I'm serious but they are like the Cleveland Cavaliers right now of hip-hop. If not for OME I wouldn't even check that side of the coast.

It may have to do with the fact he got that D-Rose blood in him.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Philaflava wrote:OME might be the best thing about the leftcoast in years. It may take another real Dre album for people to give a shit about Cali again. I'm serious but they are like the Cleveland Cavaliers right now of hip-hop. If not for OME I wouldn't even check that side of the coast.

this post made me a feel a whole bunch of different ways

Thun

Post by Thun »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:

I'm the only person whose made such a claim and then there's like ten people here who like his music. Whatever funny point you're trying to make, you're not succeeding. Get off it.

Thun

Post by Thun »

mike eagle wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
#fuckyeah
How can I help make this a reality?

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Thun wrote:
mike eagle wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
#fuckyeah
How can I help make this a reality?
do you have a line of communication with HS?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

jediscope does
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

This is what needs to happen. Start a Twitter and include all parties. It will get RT until it happens.

Philaflava Records 2011.

OME & Homeboy Sandman - Coffee Shop Chicks and Black Dudes
Prod. Blockhead

Gyangsta 4 Life

I posed a question and expressed an opinion in my initial post. A few posters engaged me and I responded. You act like I'm harping on about it over several pages.

It's all good, I was always gonna end up being the hater. I feel at least partly enlightened as to the appeal of OME's music now and that's all I was asking for.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:I posed a question and expressed an opinion in my initial post. A few posters engaged me and I responded. You act like I'm harping on about it over several pages.
not several pages...but more than one thread...am i not remembering correctly?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:This is what needs to happen. Start a Twitter and include all parties. It will get RT until it happens.

Philaflava Records 2011.

OME & Homeboy Sandman - Coffee Shop Chicks and Black Dudes
Prod. Blockhead
I'm pretty sure H.S. isn't on twitter.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Philaflava wrote:OME might be the best thing about the leftcoast in years. It may take another real Dre album for people to give a shit about Cali again. I'm serious but they are like the Cleveland Cavaliers right now of hip-hop. If not for OME I wouldn't even check that side of the coast.

?! Are you not considering Odd Future to be left coast? I prefer OME to Odd Future, but its fair to say the OF hype machine is making people give a shit about Cali again.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Hair of the Dog wrote:

?! Are you not considering Odd Future to be left coast? I prefer OME to Odd Future, but its fair to say the OF hype machine is making people give a shit about Cali again.
im not really seeing that much. i think there's a bunch of people out here that hope thats what will happen but i think the narrative is really only bringing more attention to their brand and the OF umbrella than any sort of regional rekindling of interest. thats from the inside looking out tho

Gyangsta 4 Life

mike eagle wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:I posed a question and expressed an opinion in my initial post. A few posters engaged me and I responded. You act like I'm harping on about it over several pages.
not several pages...but more than one thread...am i not remembering correctly?
You remember correctly. I was a little less diplomatic in the last thread and thought I'd take another stab at it here.

Also didn't mean any disrespect to you personally. If I was a rapper, I probably wouldn't respond to negative criticism as courteously as you have here.