Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Versive

Re: billy woods

Post by Versive »

there

Versive

Post by Versive »

Also this guy's in the news for a change: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/world ... wanted=all
Mr. Mugabe spoke in valedictory terms about his achievements, saying that history would remember him as a liberator, whatever the outcome of the election.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:Also this guy's in the news for a change: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/world ... wanted=all
Mr. Mugabe spoke in valedictory terms about his achievements, saying that history would remember him as a liberator, whatever the outcome of the election.
I highly doubt he will find his absolution:

Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe Vows to Behead Gays
At a rally last week, Mugabe told thousands of supporters that Zimbabwe would never accept homosexuals, whom he descried as “worse than pigs, goats and birds,” reports Zimbabwe’s Newsday. “If you take men and lock them in a house for five years and tell them to come up with two children and they fail to do that, then we will chop off their heads.”
It's pretty amazing that this guy's face is on an album that has been critically praised by the Politically Correct and Sensitivity Police.

Versive

Post by Versive »

His face appearing on the ablbum cover next to the words "History Will Absolve Me" wasn't exactly an endorsement. Woods has spoken about his stance on the man's rule several times.

Who are you referring to as the Politically Correct and Sensitivity Police?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:His face appearing on the ablbum cover next to the words "History Will Absolve Me" wasn't exactly an endorsement.
It must be a daring intellectual ruse.
Versive wrote:Who are you referring to as the Politically Correct and Sensitivity Police?
You and people like you.

Versive

Post by Versive »

So you have no idea what you're talking about.
Woods, having grown up with a real appreciation of the struggle, has a more nuanced view of Robert Mugabe than you’ll usually get in the Western media. He doesn’t excuse him, and is the first to say that he’s got to go, but he doesn’t follow that Economist-sanctioned view that Mugabe is the devil and the white farmers of Zimbabwe are the real victims.
http://noisey.vice.com/blog/billy-woods ... g-hangover

Cunt.
Last edited by Versive on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:So you have no idea what you're talking about.
Woods, having grown up with a real appreciation of the struggle, has a more nuanced view of Robert Mugabe than you’ll usually get in the Western media. He doesn’t excuse him, and is the first to say that he’s got to go, but he doesn’t follow that Economist-sanctioned view that Mugabe is the devil and the white farmers of Zimbabwe are the real victims.

Cunt.
Oh: he's a standard fare apologist. Deep mental valleys, yo.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Versive wrote:Image

there
this tho. yes. this.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Employee wrote:
Versive wrote:So you have no idea what you're talking about.

Cunt.
Oh: he's a standard fare apologist. Deep mental valleys, yo.

Also, if you'd been paying any attention to this thread, you'd have seen that when the cover art for HWAM was released, I was the first one to raise the question "Will history absolve Robert Mugabe?" Furthermore, even if the art was meant as an endorsement of Robert Mugabe, why would that deter me, or anyone like me, from praising the album.

To my knowledge, I have never written an article anywhere that tried to fall within the boundaries of political correctness, nor do I believe that any artist should be forced to self-censor, nor do I distance myself from any music (aside from Neo-Nazi/KKK-style hate music) simply on the grounds that I don't totally agree with the artist. Killah Priest took a pro-life stance in B.I.B.L.E.; I'm pro-choice yet it's one of my favorite songs in his entire catalogue. For that matter, Wu-Tang has numerous lines preaching insane religious fundamentalism. RZA talked about mankind co-habitating the planet with dinosaurs.

You're a shmuck, and I'm about to block you again.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Are you crying right now?

Versive

Post by Versive »

What does the Tom Cruise reference mean? I don't get it. Please explain your witty Internet humor so that the rest of us with less than 67,800 posts can follow along.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:What does the Tom Cruise reference mean? I don't get it. Please explain your witty Internet humor so that the rest of us with less than 67,800 posts can follow along.
Versive wrote:You're a shmuck, and I'm about to block you again.
Your emotions are a wild animal at present. Have you made your decision yet? Are you going to furiously ignore me or pretend to furiously ignore me?

Versive

Post by Versive »

mike eagle wrote:
Versive wrote:Image

there
this tho. yes. this.
So yea, this should be fun.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Versive

Post by Versive »

Junclassic's whip could use some bodywork :lol:

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

We got a 7.8 in Pitchfork today.
Pretty shocked they reviewed it.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/184 ... our-candy/

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

It's about fucking time. Same dude who reviewed it also reviewed Ka's new one and the Kenny Dennis LP, he's doing good work over there. If he would have read my interview though he would know that billy spitting the Clipse line over that beat was purely coincidence.

Panama

Post by Panama »

Damn this pressing is ill as fuck

Glad I picked this up

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

pretty dope. l'orange has been putting out some good music lately, looking forward to his album

Versive

Post by Versive »

Never checked for L'Orange before this, digging this track (obviously), going to have to see what I've been missing.

Ned Ryerson
Location: with my helmet on you can't tell me i'm not in space.

Post by Ned Ryerson »

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=135365

somebody made that recently and i posted a couple songs i've heard from him that stood out. despite the Wicked co-sign, his beats are pretty dope

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Turned the corner like Kennedy in Dallas.

Just recently got Dour Candy, been listening trying to digest it. Woods definitely says some shit that goes over my head, takes multiple listens and some rapgenius research to catch haha. Never thought I'd be reading about the Rhodesian Bush War on wikipedia. His whole - through the looking glass Robert Mugabe watches Bob Marley perform Zimbabwe - inspired me to look that up. The beats are definitely different and fit Woods' style. Not my cup of tea but I can dig some of it. All in all an interesting album, and one that I would listen to to catch the messages and themes as opposed to just vibing to the music.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

http://uncommonrecords.bandcamp.com/tra ... -woods-bms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pace

Post by pace »

So, we finally get a tracklist and other details from Today, I Wrote Nothing...

blurb:
Today, I Wrote Nothing is the first billy woods solo material since 2013’s Dour Candy, his critically acclaimed collaboration with New York City producer Blockhead, itself a follow-up to woods’ sprawling 2012 masterpiece, History Will Absolve Me.

Still, in keeping with woods’ modus operandi, Today, I Wrote Nothing stands apart conceptually from previous work. The album is a collection of short songs and vignettes that form a cohesive meditation on life’s journeys and death’s hiding places.

Elucid, woods’ partner in rap duo Armand Hammer, makes several guest appearances, as does fellow Backwoodz Studioz labelmate Henry Canyons. Equally close to home is the production, provided by a mix of longtime collaborators and friends: Willie Green, Blockhead, Messiah Muzik, Elucid, Steel Tipped Dove, Junclassic, DOSG4W, and Busdriver & Aesop Rock. Additional cameos are by L’Wren, Curly Castro, and DJ Mo Nicklz.

Over this shifting beat collage, woods tirelessly weaves stories and myths in his own inimitable style. The result is a hard-driving road trip of a rap album—music loud, windows down, weight in the trunk. Today, I Wrote Nothing is a powerful statement by one of the genre’s most interesting voices.
Enjoying the first leak, and really looking forward to the end of the month.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

pace wrote: Enjoying the first leak, and really looking forward to the end of the month.
i saw the blurb, was there a song to go with it?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

pace

Post by pace »

drizzle wrote:
pace wrote: Enjoying the first leak, and really looking forward to the end of the month.
i saw the blurb, was there a song to go with it?
yep,

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

rthanks
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Kace

Post by Kace »

I like Billy Woods and all but...why he gotta be a marxist though?
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Versive

Post by Versive »

Who got it^? I'd say woods' last verse >>>
I'm interviewing him on Sunday.