album leaked. after 1 and a half listen, this is great

Bear

Re: billy woods

Post by Bear »

"Don't look gift horses in the mouth/ check if they hollow"

fourize

Post by fourize »

Album is great, much more down tempo and jazzy than I expected.

Got the leak, still will cop the official tomorrow.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Cop the official now, instant download available with any purchase:
http://backwoodzstudioz.com/tag/billy-woods/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perlman

Post by perlman »

Can someone PM me a link? i intend to buy. I just want to hear it now/
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

perlman wrote:Can someone PM me a link? i intend to buy. I just want to hear it now/

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

"if only there was some network of communication with built in search utilities which one might use to allow themselves an agency in procuring music, instead of doubling down on consuming music parasitically by not even putting forth a minimal effort to obtain the pirated copy"

that's literally a lyric on this album guys, not sure how he even made it rhyme but it slaps
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

:lol:

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

Echo Leader wrote::lol:
At the moment, this was the easiest option. Irony duly noted though.

fourize

Post by fourize »

I found it on the /mu/ boards, I think just by googling the title and "/mu/", but it's seriously worth a purchase. Really really good album. The second half is my shit.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I didn't love all the beats at first, but they're growing on me. Love that his albums never sound the same beatwise.

Conceptually doesn't seem as fully formed as some of his past work, but there's still a lot to digest here and that's a short sighted observation to make on a woods album after a few listens. I've kinda been wanting him to make shorter, more frequent albums for a while now, but he loves to pack as much as he can on 'em. Lotta shorter more experimental songs and hooks, not all are killer, but it's cool to hear him venturing out of his comfort zone a little.

Seems like there's quite a few instances of him reminiscing on past relationships, but I haven't picked up on any overarching themes.

Any favorite tracks so far? Warmachines is the obvious choice, couple more listens and I'm sure a few more tracks will start to jump out at me.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

damn, dude sampled Lil Ugly Mane on "Dark Woods"

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Versive

Post by Versive »

U-Boats and Zulu Tolstoy are my favorites.
I think the album's about the absurdity of reality. woods says it's about death.
I have a 2 1/2 hour interview to transcribe.

fourize

Post by fourize »

My favorites are Dark Woods, RPM, and Warmachines. Agree that it's more scattershot than any of Woods shit from the last few years (since Cowardly Threats, I'd say), but I think I kinda dig that about it. It's like sketches, not really as cohesive and fully formed. I was on the fence with some of the beats too, but they're mostly growing on me. The only thing I'm a little lukewarm on now is Henry Canyons, but I'm not mad at him or his verses on here.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I'm kinda digging Henry Canyons on here, especially the verse about a friend who OD'd but turned out to be ok. I didn't love the free EP Backwoodz put out for him last year or whenever, but I'm not giving up on him yet.

Other tracks that are turning into favorites are "Lost Blocks", "Born Yesterday", "Scales", "Dark Woods", and "Borrowed Time". When the sample from The Wire comes in over that beat on "Scales" it's just such a eureka moment.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

I'm keen on African Dodger, Lost Blocks, Dark Woods, and Warmachines. Front to back great stuff though

fourize

Post by fourize »

Yeah, I actually am kinda starting to dig that Canyons verse too, but that whole song is a bit too much for me. Scales is great though, that Wire sample is perfect. Lost Blocks and Borrowed Time are both really nice songs. Yeah, whole thing is good. Different, and unexpected, but good.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Album is really good. This year is reminding me a lot of 2012 recently, which was one of my favorite years for rap over the last 5-8 years.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Been thinking that too, mainly because the artists with the biggest standout projects from that year, for me at least - billy woods, TREE, Ka, Lil Ugly Mane - all either have already released or will soon be releasing big projects. All we need is a new Roc Marciano album...

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Versive wrote:Been thinking that too, mainly because the artists with the biggest standout projects from that year, for me at least - billy woods, TREE, Ka, Lil Ugly Mane - all either have already released or will soon be releasing big projects. All we need is a new Roc Marciano album...
Definitely.

Plus for me - some of it is stuff that came out last year that I didn't discover until this year too. I hadn't listened to the ATOMS album, or Your Old Droog last year.

Kendrick had an album that year as well.

I would bet Roc will release something this year. Would be nice if it was Metal Clergy or a new full length and not a mixtape or compilation like his last couple things have been.

Just seems like there's a lot of quality rap music out these days.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I spoke with Woods today for the OC Weekly, we discussed the rise of political discussions in underground hip-hop and the role of interpretation - http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentalit ... ations.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Versive

Post by Versive »

Nice read.

RE: the conspiracy thing, woods has been skeptical of conspiracy theory stuff from the jump. I believe it's on Camoflague that he says in the intro to a song (maybe even the whole album?) something like "Nah man, there is no conspiracy, everything is exactly what it is."

I fuck with this sentiment. Conspiracies by and large are an over-simplification, an attempt to make sense out of current and historical issues that are already fucked up enough on the surface and need not be assigned mythology.

BTW, Dour Candy was the name of the woods/block album - "Tinseltown" was the first single.

fourize

Post by fourize »

Cool interview, definitely.

And yeah, the conspiracy theory shit is grating as fuck. It gets close lots of times to being a decent interpretation of history, but then it just goes so far off the rails and totally falls apart. I have students who get into it sometimes and I always try to talk them back off the brink and get them interested in more nuanced frames of understanding, but it almost never works and they end up streaming Alex Jones all damn day.

Versive

Post by Versive »

fourize wrote:Cool interview, definitely.

And yeah, the conspiracy theory shit is grating as fuck. It gets close lots of times to being a decent interpretation of history, but then it just goes so far off the rails and totally falls apart. I have students who get into it sometimes and I always try to talk them back off the brink and get them interested in more nuanced frames of understanding, but it almost never works and they end up streaming Alex Jones all damn day.
When I was in college, I was all about conspiracy theories. Never bought into the whole Reptilian overlord shit, or anything too nutso, but you couldn't tell me that Skull & Bones wasn't running the world. I could be oversimplifying now based on my own experiences, but I get the feeling that among recent generations (anybody who came of age around 9/11 basically), it's basically a phase that kids go through. And whether you see it happen or not, they eventually come out of it, hopefully as politically concerned citizens with a healthy distrust for authority if also a skewed view of history.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Thanks for reading guys, and thanks Versive for the correction on the intro, just fixed it. Always confuse the two since I wrote about "Tinseltown" so much before the album dropped.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

After getting to look at the production credits, it's pretty crazy how much heat Messiah Musik dropped on here. Produced 11 tracks, including almost all of my favorites, he's as consistently good as any rap producer out there right now. Album has so much replay value, HWAM is woods best album, but it can be tough to listen to front to back. TIWN has 24 tracks, but it never drags and is fun as hell to listen to.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

fourize wrote:Cool interview, definitely.

I agree that people can get very annoying regarding these type of issues. More annoying are those that believe everything they hear on cable TV news channels though. And if any of you think the government told the truth about the assassination of JFK, Malcolm X, not to mention 9/11 and tons of other debacles (watch HBO's Nixon by Nixon) throughout our history you're trippin'.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

9/11 was an inside job maaaaaaaaaaaaan

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

http://babysallright.ticketfly.com/even ... -brooklyn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;