billy woods

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

unclebengi

billy woods

Post by unclebengi »

Cowardly Threats & Hideous Cruelty
Last edited by unclebengi on Thu May 05, 2011 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Willie Green

Post by Willie Green »

Damn, beat me to the punch, but yeah there is some ESSENTIAL woods on here both old and brand new. If you're at all a fan, scoop this immediately
www.williegreenmusic.com
twitter.com/williegreen1

ogie

Post by ogie »

haha dope, i was looking for this pretty much every day since the beginning of last week.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Nice. Really been looking forward to this one.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Re: Billy Woods

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Addikt did a really nice job with the sequencing and blends on this.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Just in time for the holidays (if you're into that sort of thing)...
Downloading now
unclebengi wrote:
History Will Absolve Me is slated for a winter release, with production by Willie Green, Marmaduke, A.M. Breakups, Nasa and Lex Boogie. A dark departure from his critically-acclaimed work with the now defunct Super Chron Flight Brothers, HWAM will also be his first album release with a full lyric book, which, for some of us will come in quite handy.
Great title.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Willie Green wrote:Damn, beat me to the punch
yeah, got this on my phone at work and just copied and pasted...was so excited I just had to get it up there. Haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I'm eager to hear any new material.

Even more excited for the new album and lyric book (which I've been asking for for a while) as well as the announcement that a Bond/Woods project is in the works.

Hopefully this mixtape gets some attention and gets to the right ears. The only thing Billy needs as an MC is a bigger audience.

Versive

Post by Versive »

billy woods wrote:Where are we? That's a good question
At the end of Empire or a 2nd great depression
They wanna know if there's contraband in the vehicle
I take umbrage at the very suggestion
that they could catch me in possession
Albert Haynesworth: I refuse to play my position.
:ohsh:

Looks like there are more unreleased joints on here than some of us expected. So dope...

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

death from above is fuckin disgusting. spiga is waaaaaay underated and woods just crushed it, even kong came off. its so much shit on here im still absorbin but green goblin, concussion and dfa are all new to me. is 2 blunts new?

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

Versive wrote:

Looks like there are more unreleased joints on here than some of us expected. So dope...

woods is goat sports referencing status.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Haitian Jack wrote:
Versive wrote:

"Artest pop a fan out the stands" and "Wrote a handbook called How to Terrell Owens a whole team"

quite a few joints I hadn't heard on here- Waiting, Imani remix, Green Goblin, Death From Above, Concussion, Guns & Pussy remix, Cyanide, and Two Blunts.

Green Goblin and Concussion stand out on first listen, but the real treat is the mixing of the entire joint...very well done, just awesome to have this many dope Woods verses in this type of format. Definitely isn't a best of, as several of my favorite joints off his first 2 albums were left off, but anyone who gives this mixtape a chance should have the incentive to cop Camouflage and The Chalice.

:icedit: forgot my favorite sports reference-

"I was better then like Edgerrin/ Stay on lean with the Dexedrine rhyme scheme" As I Colts fan this hit close to home, especially how Edge ran with that lean...always fallin forward. I guess "Artest pop a fan out the stands" hits close to home too, just not in a good way.
Last edited by unclebengi on Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

I am partial to "posting my pivot/olajuwon coaching these midgets" myself.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

unclebengi wrote:
Haitian Jack wrote:
Versive wrote:

Artest pop a fan out the stands/ Wrote a handbook called "How to Terrell Owens a whole team"

quite a few joints I hadn't heard on here- Waiting, Imani remix, Green Goblin, Death From Above, Concussion, Guns & Pussy remix, Cyanide, and Two Blunts.
u never heard direct tv?

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

family ties is my shiiiiiiiiit. easy to forget about cuz it wasnt on an album but damn! is that shit about another rapper or real family?

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Forgot the G&P remix was on Direct TV, I never like Guns & Pussy as much as most of ya'll, so that's probably why I didn't recognize it right away. It was always easy to skip since it's the last song.

Family Ties is awesome. I always assumed he was talking about a brother which also made me think Low Tide was a true story. Don't know if COOLEH or Willie can confirm or are willing to confirm any of this. Either way, great song-

"They say bad news travels fast
But the reality is,
time just catches up with your ass"

Versive

Post by Versive »

Haitian Jack wrote:
Versive wrote:

Word, I wasn't even really talking about the sports reference though - that's just the cherry on top. What got me were the lines before it, and the fact that that whole thing is just like an intro piece.

Willie Green

Post by Willie Green »

Family Ties isn't about any one person in particular, but some parts are a combination of people. I honestly don't know who though, maybe someday Woods will say.
www.williegreenmusic.com
twitter.com/williegreen1

SnoopFroggyFrog

Post by SnoopFroggyFrog »

So this is the mixtape "Green Goblin" is also used for... really looking forward to the song with Spiega and Kong

Talking about those two, wasn't there some news about a year ago saying there's a new Reavers album in the making? Is that ever going to happen?

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Weighting and Cyanide are incredible too. No one does weed sellin songs like Billy, Drought and Weighting are the shit...I just love that intelligent drug dealer typa steez.

Death from above too, didn't really catch Billy's verse at first but him and Spiega definitely kill it...did Spiega ever put out an album?

"Mini gun spin, pixilated people reap the whirlwind
Oh Lord who art in Heaven, Hallowed be thine aim"
LOL...no one has lines like Woods, maybe Doom used too.

So ill, Imma have these new joints on repeat for a while.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

the really ill thing is that if u been a fan for a while u catch a lot of shit otha people wont

like opium scripts "paid in cash/gave her some gas/3am georgia ave/ camouflaged in clouds of grass/open bar safari/we all splash in pools olympic/open container castrol syntec

i just now got the camouflage refrence and obviousley 3am georgia ave is a song title on that lp

i aint guna lie tho, i be having to google a bunch a shit this nigga says. i still aint 100% sure wat that dfa verse is about, pilots in afghanistan?

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

SnoopFroggyFrog wrote:So this is the mixtape "Green Goblin" is also used for... really looking forward to the song with Spiega and Kong

Talking about those two, wasn't there some news about a year ago saying there's a new Reavers album in the making? Is that ever going to happen?
To my understanding, no. I think there were preliminary moves to make it happen but it just didn't come together.

If the beats were done by the right people, I would cop a Spiega album without question. Everything he touched on Terror Firma was ridiculous.

SnoopFroggyFrog

Post by SnoopFroggyFrog »

unclebengi wrote:did Spiega ever put out an album?
No, unfortunately not... He didn't even release an EP on Mindbenda back around the time the Czars album dropped, where guys like Rodan, Kong or Gigan all had a little EP

there's a little fan-made collection of Spiega songs out there though (Forgive Them Father), basically a collection of most the appearances he made on the X-Ray albums, Reavers album, Kong album, etc...

Ravage once said Spiega's working on an album, but as usual I don't think that comment is worth anything (since he also said Rodan is working on new material)...

I think the best move for Spiega and Kong would be to sign with Backwoodz, especially since that MIC thing got messed up again, I don't think this group will make any progress any more...

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

hold up, aint trak 11 called "pawns"? on my copy of target practise it is.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Haitian Jack wrote:hold up, aint trak 11 called "pawns"? on my copy of target practise it is.
Correct, good catch. Both titles are appropriate I guess.

Billy's verse from Death From Above is definitely the shit. To write a verse from the perspective of a fighter pilot could come off real bad if not done right, but Woods not only puts you in the cockpit but taps into the psyche of the pilot. Kong and Spiega have nice verses, but they're not on topic like Woods. The vocal sample about war at the end is great too, anyone know who that is talking?

These 7 or 8 new songs have knocked everything else out of my listening rotation. Willie can you help us out with any timeline on when these unreleased joints were recorded?

"The Witchdoctor gets paid before guns get loaded"

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

unclebengi wrote:
Haitian Jack wrote:hold up, aint trak 11 called "pawns"? on my copy of target practise it is.

Ha, yeah that's funny.

Billy's verse from Death From Above is definitely the shit. To write a verse from the perspective of a fighter pilot could come off real bad if not done right, but Woods not only puts you in the cockpit but taps into the psyche of the pilot.
I think it's about unmanned drones, like Predators.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
unclebengi wrote:

Ha, yeah that's funny.

Billy's verse from Death From Above is definitely the shit. To write a verse from the perspective of a fighter pilot could come off real bad if not done right, but Woods not only puts you in the cockpit but taps into the psyche of the pilot.
Yeah, I guess it easily could be, is there a specific part that makes you say that? Either way it puts you in the mind of the person pulling the trigger. I imagine this song was meant for the Terror Firma 2 project.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

unclebengi wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
unclebengi wrote:

Ha, yeah that's funny.

Yeah, I guess it easily could be, is there a specific part that makes you say that?
The Geppeto, joystick and video game references, combined with the "powered by Intel" line.

Obviously, it's probably pretty open-ended but that is my interpretation...for today, anyway.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Yeah, the Geppeto line makes it more clear, I think you're right.

zombie

Post by zombie »

why si that man burning tires and why is he holding on to a couple rocks.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

zombie wrote:why si that man burning tires and why is he holding on to a couple rocks.
Music?