Rappers That Exceeded Expectations

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

step one

Rappers That Exceeded Expectations

Post by step one »

The ones that blew up unexpectedly, ended up having longer careers than their debuts might've suggested or improved vastly over the years

Noreaga
Ghostface
Fat Joe
Lil Wayne
50 Cent

any others..?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I thought Ross would be a one hit wonder when I heard Hustlin', had no idea he would improve so much and become a major figure in rap.

Then there's Berner from the Bay. He was very hit or miss, mostly miss, but he just put out one of the better albums in '11.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

DLG

Post by DLG »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:I thought Ross would be a one hit wonder when I heard Hustlin', had no idea he would improve so much and become a major figure in rap.
this.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fVWrZhnqqu4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fVWrZhnqqu4?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Kanye in my opinion, going from ^this modest appearance on Chops' album and a producer in the background to where he's at now. I know others never expected him to blow up like this either, I heard an interview where Just Blaze said people at The Roc used to laugh at his rhymes pre- College Dropout.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

DLG wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:I thought Ross would be a one hit wonder when I heard Hustlin', had no idea he would improve so much and become a major figure in rap.
this.
Also Nore hasn't exceeded shit to me. 1 group album and 1 solo album 12 years ago and not shit that is worthy of a purchase since.

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote:Also Nore hasn't exceeded shit to me. 1 group album and 1 solo album 12 years ago and not shit that is worthy of a purchase since.
I was thinking more along the lines of going from his debut on 'L.A L.A' and The War Report to making MTV approved Neptunes club bangers like 'Superthug' and 'Nothin' - dont think anyone saw that coming

Agree with Rawse - I thought he was another Bonecrusher when Hustlin came out.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Did you listen to Port of Miami when it dropped? Not saying Ross hasn't exceeded expectations or improved considerably, but he's always been a top tier talent. I knew he'd be around for a while.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Did you listen to Port of Miami when it dropped? Not saying Ross hasn't exceeded expectations or improved considerably, but he's always been a top tier talent. I knew he'd be around for a while.
:smugkid:

I'd have to agree with 50 Cent as well. I thought "Wanksta" and the Get Rich album were dope at the time but I never thought he'd blow up like he did when the "21 Questions" and "In Da Club" singles dropped.
Last edited by Echo Leader on Fri May 13, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheBeeShine

Post by TheBeeShine »

Masta Ace is still making great music. thread lock

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

for what it's worth...50 cent, in NY it seemed impossible for him to not be huge, Jay Z called him the hottest rapper in 10 years or some shit and he and G unit are in large part responsible for the mix tape craze, and he got shot a lot.
NICE CAT!

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

good call on kanye. i remember when he used to sell cdrs on hiphopsite.com
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Fat Joe is a good call. He's a dude that should have fade into the mist a decade ago yet he keeps coming back and having little hits hear and there.
That shit is pretty baffling.

Not that he's been a huge success but I'd add Kweli to the list.
The first time I heard him he was on stretch and bob , freestying with Tash and Mikah 9 , getting painfully outclassed. When he dropped a 12'' I was surprised that even happened. The fact he's maintained after the indie boom of the early 2000's is not something I woulda expected.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

fatboybrandon wrote:<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fVWrZhnqqu4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fVWrZhnqqu4?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Kanye in my opinion, going from ^this modest appearance on Chops' album and a producer in the background to where he's at now. I know others never expected him to blow up like this either, I heard an interview where Just Blaze said people at The Roc used to laugh at his rhymes pre- College Dropout.
:ohsh:

do you have this on mp3? the only version i've ever heard was off virtuosity and didn't have the chops verse.

peace.

KonstantElevation

Post by KonstantElevation »

Philaflava wrote: Also Nore hasn't exceeded shit to me. 1 group album and 1 solo album 12 years ago and not shit that is worthy of a purchase since.
I certainly agree. Well said. Capone -N- Noreaga "The War Report (1997)" album is a classic. Noreaga "N.O.R.E. (1998)" was alright but everything else is coasters.

step one

Post by step one »

Rob Sonic wrote:for what it's worth...50 cent, in NY it seemed impossible for him to not be huge, Jay Z called him the hottest rapper in 10 years or some shit and he and G unit are in large part responsible for the mix tape craze, and he got shot a lot.
I was thinking more along the lines of him dropping How To Rob which was reasonably big and then he ended up getting dropped from Sony and that seemed to be it for him, 3 or 4 years later he was the biggest rapper on the planet.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Blockhead wrote:Not that he's been a huge success but I'd add Kweli to the list.

Mos Def too. Given his beginnings, it's surprising that he's become an international superstar.

Might as well add Common too. Fifteen years ago I'd never have expected that he'd one day ignite a national firestorm involving the President of the United States.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Queen Latifah. Not because of her raps really but just how she has blown up into getting on major movies, Cover Girl commercials, hosting big events etc. If you would have told me back in 1993 that she would be the biggest thing out of Flavor Unit and still making moves in 2011, I wouldn't have believed you.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Combo7 wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Not that he's been a huge success but I'd add Kweli to the list.

Mos Def too. Given his beginnings, it's surprising that he's become an international superstar.
He's already been mentioned by everyone in the "rappers that didn't live up to expectation" thread.

THE WAVY ONE RNT

Post by THE WAVY ONE RNT »

I THINK MOST OF THE CONSIDERED GREATS EXCEEDED EVERYBODY EXPECTATIONS

TRUTHFULLY I THOUGHT WAYNE/CASH MONEY WAS DONE DURING THE RELEASE OF 500 DEGREEZ

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

That you Kanye?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
Combo7 wrote:

He's already been mentioned by everyone in the "rappers that didn't live up to expectation" thread.

If you're using quality as a metric, sure, but that's not what this thread is about. Dude blew the fuck up whether you like his music or not.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

THE WAVY ONE RNT wrote:TRUTHFULLY I THOUGHT WAYNE/CASH MONEY WAS DONE DURING THE RELEASE OF 500 DEGREEZ
Same here...his rise to infamy is unbelievable.

Lil B also.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

I cosign the mention of Rick Ross Lil' Wayne and Kanye.

Masta Killa has released some surprisingly good songs.

step one

Post by step one »

Combo7 wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
Combo7 wrote:

If you're using quality as a metric, sure, but that's not what this thread is about. Dude blew the fuck up whether you like his music or not.
he didnt really blow up though did he? the average person on the street probably hasnt heard of him and even if they have they'd probably struggle to name one of his songs. He had the potential to make that happen but didnt fulfill it which is why he's in the other thread

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Actually, it's funny you put it that way 'cuz I'd bet almost any random person with a little knowledge of pop culture knows who Mos Def is but couldn't name a Mos Def song.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

mad bitches be knowin "Ms. Fat Booty" actually.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:mad bitches be knowin "Ms. Fat Booty" actually.
but would they say "ms. fat booty"? or would they just start singin the hook? lol.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

step one wrote:the average person on the street probably hasnt heard of him

Not true, at least for the under 35 demographic. I know a few girls who are otherwise ignorant to rap music who want to have his babies.

GetToStepping

Post by GetToStepping »

In terms of success, and not quality, Black Eyed Peas.

TheBeeShine

Post by TheBeeShine »

Slug of Atmosphere definitely exceeded expectations... he has put out so many albums and has stayed consistent.

Tonedeff and Sage Francis also come to mind