Did you buy Goblin?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Did you buy Goblin?

I downloaded it and have no plans on buying it
51%
I downloaded it and bought it (or will be buying)
22%
I have no intentions of downloading or buying
26%

Total votes: 134

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Did you buy Goblin?

Post by Philaflava »

And if you haven't, do you plan on it?

The reason I ask is most of us, no shame, download first. It's inevitable, especially when the album leaks a few days before its official release.

Being that Goblin has sold fairly well given it's competition, I'd like to see just how much support it's truly getting. It's on XL. I know they have spent 100K if not more in online promoting. God knows what they've spent on billboards. So while the album didn't have a budget and there are virtually no radio hits, there is money being invested in Goblin.

It's projected (maybe somebody can confirm) to move 45K units. That's near the tops believe it or not. But the reality that that number will increase or stay consistent is not likely. Though, the online purchase should definitely be heavy. So what role did/well you have in this?
Adele 21 (XL/Columbia) 120-130k
Now 38 (Capitol/EMI) 75-80k
*Lonely Island (Universal Republic) 60-65k
*Christina Perri (Atlantic) 45-50k
*Tyler, The Creator (XL/Beggars) 45k
Beastie Boys (Capitol/EMI) 40-45k
Jennifer Lopez (Island/IDJ) 35-40k
Download albums online with cable internet.
Last edited by Philaflava on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I didn't download it and I bought it.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I did both. I had pre-ordered it on Itunes , forgot I had done that, and the downloaded when it leaked.

Dids

Post by Dids »

You missed the "I just bought it and didn't download the leak" option for sticks in the mud like me.

I will just repeat that if you didn't pay for this, you are an asshole.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Dids wrote:
Explain, without using the phrase "supporting the culture" or something similar to that defense.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Me too on the unlisted bought but didn't download...deluxe version at that.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I bought it and didn't download it

Versive

Post by Versive »

Sylissez wrote:
Dids wrote:
Explain, without using the phrase "supporting the culture" or something similar to that defense.
You're wack.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Sylissez wrote:
Dids wrote:
I mean, either you believe that an artist should be compensated for your enjoyment of their work or you don't. I do. Maybe you're one of those douchebags who just thinks all music should be free and blah blah blah, if you are- well then, you're a douchebag.

If you do agree with me, and you consider how much music these guys have made available for free, spending 12 bucks on this record isn't much to ask.

If Goblin is your first taste of OF, then I guess I could excuse it- but I doubt that's the case for every many people.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

I haven't downloaded or bought Goblin. I'll get around to doing one or the other eventually, but it's not a priority at the moment.

But I wanna know what Dids is getting at. Is he saying not to download in general, or just not to download Goblin? If it's the latter, what makes Tyler exempt from what happens to 100% of other musicians?

I do find the ironing somewhat delicious since Tyler is on some "fuck everyone and everything" type shit and here we have people wanting to preserve the sacredness of his album.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Dids wrote:
Sylissez wrote:
Dids wrote:
I mean, either you believe that an artist should be compensated for your enjoyment of their work or you don't. I do. Maybe you're one of those douchebags who just thinks all music should be free and blah blah blah, if you are- well then, you're a douchebag.

If you do agree with me, and you consider how much music these guys have made available for free, spending 12 bucks on this record isn't much to ask.

If Goblin is your first taste of OF, then I guess I could excuse it- but I doubt that's the case for every many people.
Ok, I see what you're saying. Based on how much free shit Odd Future has given away, asking 12 bucks seems minimal. I get that.

As for artists being compensated, I'm not gonna get into that. I think anyone who posts on this board believes people who invest time and money in their work should be compensated for a job well done.

Just wanted to see what you meant by your initial statement. Carry on, thread.

malpractice

Post by malpractice »

Sylissez wrote:I haven't downloaded or bought Goblin. I'll get around to doing one or the other eventually, but it's not a priority at the moment

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

downloaded, did not buy. in my defense, although i really don't care, i have paid to see odd future live.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I didn't download it and I bought it.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Doc_Holliday

Post by Doc_Holliday »

I might be one of the last people on this planet who still haven't checked for this dude or the odd future crew

Versive

Post by Versive »

Including tax, deluxe edition was only $10.95 at best buy.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I didn't download it and I bought it.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

dl didn't buy

not for any moral or philosophical reasons, i just dont' like this album enough to spend money on it. listened a few times, got my kicks out of it and have no strong desire to revisit in the near future, all before it even officially dropped
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

drizzle wrote:dl didn't buy

not for any moral or philosophical reasons, i just dont' like this album enough to spend money on it. listened a few times, got my kicks out of it and have no strong desire to revisit in the near future, all before it even officially dropped
You're wack.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i know i failed dids' cats in many many ways
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

drizzle wrote: i just dont' like this album enough to spend money on it.

DJ Primate

Post by DJ Primate »

Doc_Holliday wrote:I might be one of the last people on this planet who still haven't checked for this dude or the odd future crew
Congratulations.

Thun

Post by Thun »

DJ Primate wrote:
Doc_Holliday wrote:I might be one of the last people on this planet who still haven't checked for this dude or the odd future crew
Congratulations.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Sylissez wrote:
Dids wrote:
Sylissez wrote:
Dids wrote:

Ok, I see what you're saying. Based on how much free shit Odd Future has given away, asking 12 bucks seems minimal. I get that.

As for artists being compensated, I'm not gonna get into that. I think anyone who posts on this board believes people who invest time and money in their work should be compensated for a job well done.

Just wanted to see what you meant by your initial statement. Carry on, thread.
Nobody should be labeled wack for not buying this. If you downloaded it, enjoyed it and still didn't support, then you're wack.

Nobody owes anyone a damn thing. Tyler is going just fine and if you don't like the album then keep it moving. He's still getting free Supreme swag, first class trips around the globe and a nice check. Most of us will never, check that, NOBODY on this forum, will ever experience what Tyler has the last 4 months of his life.

Nobody owes Deniro money after the never-ending dope flicks he's been in. Nobody ran out to see Godsend, Hide & Seek or What Just Happened, right?

If OF has been giving out free music for two years, it's because they wanted to. If they didn't we wouldn't have a 100+ page about them today and there would be NO GOBLIN. Guilt isn't the reason to support, good music is.

zombie

Post by zombie »

drizzle wrote:dl didn't buy

not for any moral or philosophical reasons, i just dont' like this album enough to spend money on it. listened once, got my kicks out of it and have no strong desire to revisit in the near future, all before it even officially dropped
All this.

Except I tried coming back to it yesterday and it is just not good at all sorry

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

"I have no intentions of downloading or buying"
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

did not select a poll choice.
did not buy it.
downloaded it (as well as bonus songs) from links provided to me here via pm.
fuck your white guiltz.

have not listened to the download yet.
been busy. will get around to it.

if i like it, i will purchase the vinyl.

however, i should note that i carry it and have sold many in my store (pretty sure we are the leading sales spot for this album in mpls/st.paul),
which should give me more points than dids on the OF scoreboard. which i will gladly defer said points to the dids point purse if he would like them.

Solo45

Post by Solo45 »

I downloaded it for free after ordering the Deluxe Edition.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Downloaded it. Might buy the CD.

Am going to their concert pretty soon though and would rather get a shirt or some merch though. Plus they get more of teh proceeds.

cormano

Post by cormano »

I bought it without downloading it but I don't like it. At first, I kind of regretted the purchase, but after thinking about it, I'm glad to have given the money after all the entertainment I've gotten out of OF, even if this particular release doesn't excite me.

I'm really excited for new Mike G and Mellowhype releases but I think I would prefer Tyler's proposed Adult Swim show to another Tyler album.