Things that need to change this decade for hip hop

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

blessingindisguise

Things that need to change this decade for hip hop

Post by blessingindisguise »

Less physical copies. It' s good to document and use as a promo copy but you have to gauge how much u press up so u don't lose money. Especially with peeps exposing samples like DJ Kno's situation. Blu only pressed up 3500 of below the heavens and Dangermouse 3000 of the grey album. If you press up 5,000 you damn well better have a plan to move them. I know Oj da juiceman and other rappers got a little buzz pressing up 10,000 it'll help you but it's best to gamble wise.

More shows to perfect and better your live show. I've seen a couple posts here from folks who rap and do shows. It's an essential part to make money and expand your fanbase so it's best you improve upon it.

Capitalize on Oversaturation. Look just cause it worked for Lil wayne don't mean it's gonna work for u. Lil wayne hit the game from all angles before going commercial on the carter 3. He Toured alot strengthing a fanbase, spit on anybody album who paid, and flooded the mixtape market. Papoose is dope imo but over 20 mixtapes is excessive but he still has a following just his brand. Lil b BASED has done well with oversaturation too. Multiple label deals and several sold out shows. So if u oversaturate capitalize on it.

Don't make your fans wait too long. Take two or three years honing your craft then dropping the best debut u have because you may only get one chance to shine. After 4 years few will care. Even saigon released alot of projects before his dope debut. Jay electronica u sure are making us fans wait a long time!!

MC's and Producers Take in account online opinions and constructive criticism. Alot of message boards are full of bitter haters, loud mouth ignorant trolls, and stupid people with shitty taste. But some like this one who will support if it's dope and respect the craft can be beneficial. If it's constructive criticism take it into account and put your ego aside. In the long run it can help u out alot.

More cohesiveness. I've noticed In the mainstream with Kanye, drake, Jeezy, and some regional stuff like bay area and east coast stuff the album has more cohesiveness. A direction for their sound. However albums like lupe, b.o.b., and Nicki minaj are mixing more electro and rock. Bottom line You can still get your commercial songs, club bangers, and keep a core sound. Less grab bag scatter albums.

Utilize the net more. Submit music to blogs. Post on some forums to expand your fanbase and get feedback. Odd future is a rare circumstance right now but what they accomplished off cheap videos, in house beats, and just a tumblr is AMAZING.

Don't wait for majors to save you. The whole record industry suffering alot. So build your own buzz a fan at a time with feedback, shows, physical and digital copies and do u hard!! If u do sign with a major make sure u own your own masters and publishing and get show money. Have them for mainly distribution.

More outlets for music. BET wouldn't show Little brother video for being too intelligent and MTV has been overrun with stupid self absorbed attention whoring reality show stars. We need more Rap cities and Boxes like back in the day to show more videos and interviews.

Have a strategy. Don't just drop with no promo or a plan. RZA had a 5 year plan and it worked. It coulda been a longer run had RZA had more beats and input for Wu's second wave of solo releases. Atmosphere toured in small spots nobody would go between Overcast and Lucy ford. MF Doom took matter sin his own hand and crafted beats that matched his lyricism and persona. Living legends worked crowds at other hip-hop shows and formed their own sound. Basically have some sort of strategy that can be successful and tactical.

Be innovative. You may think u have something special and u could. Accept there's thousands of producers and mc's just as good if not better. So u have to be clever and beware your sound can get bitten the fuck up like Das efex tongue twister flow or Lex luger's sound.

Add on your own thoughts
Last edited by blessingindisguise on Mon May 16, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Nobody under the age of 30 should ever publicly express an opinion on this music ever again. Whole genre would transform for the better overnight.
Last edited by Thun on Mon May 16, 2011 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGakjEJMI4E?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LGakjEJMI4E?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

amirite?

step one

Post by step one »

Less solo artists and more groups - theres alot of rappers out there who dont have the talent/charisma/creativity to hold down a full length project but would sound fine in the context of a group setting.

Less pandering to fads & trends - looping Jay/Biggie lyrics for a hook, autotune, getting Junior Reid or Akon on your hook. DONT BE SCARED TO DO SOME DIFFERENT SHIT!
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Based God/Odd Future collabs. Based Godd Future amirite?

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

less internet

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

DAS RAPIST

DLG

Post by DLG »

:lol:

step one

Post by step one »

Rappers need to get back to dissing faggots again. I know it reached saturation point in the mid 00s but all this 'I respect his grind' and 'hes doing his thing so I cant hate' shit has gotten ridiculous.

I propsoe the appointment of a regulatory super-group comprised of Beanie Sigel, Willie D, Freddie Foxx and that big dude out of TI's crew to tour the country PM Dawn-ing faggot rappers on stage.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Thun wrote:Nobody under the age of 30 should ever publicly express an opinion on this music ever again. Whole genre would transform for the better overnight.
this

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

blessing has some good points, and it's a shame that a lot of it is just common sense stuff that seems to be completely ignored or overlooked
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

step one wrote:groups

This is one of the things I miss the most in rap music. I'm trying to think of groups of three or more rappers to debut within the last ten years and all I can come up with off the top of my head is the UN.

Roc Marc and Planet Asia complement each other beautifully in that song that got posted in the other thread. Would love to see them recruit one or two other equal talents and get busy.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Everything.

PEACE

Dap

Post by Dap »

step one wrote:Rappers need to get back to dissing faggots again. I know it reached saturation point in the mid 00s but all this 'I respect his grind' and 'hes doing his thing so I cant hate' shit has gotten ridiculous.

I propsoe the appointment of a regulatory super-group comprised of Beanie Sigel, Willie D, Freddie Foxx and that big dude out of TI's crew to tour the country PM Dawn-ing faggot rappers on stage.

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Dap wrote:
step one wrote:Rappers need to get back to dissing faggots again. I know it reached saturation point in the mid 00s but all this 'I respect his grind' and 'hes doing his thing so I cant hate' shit has gotten ridiculous.

super group should be called gnarls oakley