General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Dap

Post by Dap »

what is this project? i've never heard of this at all

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Re: Blu - Je-s-u-s -album

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Lyrics are dope but the absolute refusal to mix the record at all- despite having madlib and alc beats on there- annoys me. Especially if it costs ten bones. C'mon man!
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

one of those beats i recognize that Hezekiah did. sick production.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

I'm over this guy and his projects that sound like they were thrown together by some 12 year-old on their very first Mac. We get it dude, you're an eclectic artiste. It's okay to play outside the box, but if the results are hot garbage, than maybe it's time to hop back in that box. This ain't no Shabazz Palaces, neither is that other piece of shit, "Her Favorite Color".

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Busta Ry wrote:I'm over this guy and his projects that sound like they were thrown together by some 12 year-old on their very first Mac. We get it dude, you're an eclectic artiste. It's okay to play outside the box, but if the results are hot garbage, than maybe it's time to hop back in that box. This ain't no Shabazz Palaces, neither is that other piece of shit, "Her Favorite Color".
I got no problem with the beats and lyrics but lo-fi does not need to me "I didn't even try to mix this or make sure any levels were right"

It's either laziness or an amazingly high level of pretension.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Busta Ry wrote:I'm over this guy and his projects that sound like they were thrown together by some 12 year-old on their very first Mac. We get it dude, you're an eclectic artiste. It's okay to play outside the box, but if the results are hot garbage, than maybe it's time to hop back in that box. This ain't no Shabazz Palaces, neither is that other piece of shit, "Her Favorite Color".
I got no problem with the beats and lyrics but lo-fi does not need to me "I didn't even try to mix this or make sure any levels were right"

Right, I guess I wouldn't be as bothered if I didn't think Blu had it in him to make a really good, if not excellent, LP.
It feels like he's trying to create a sound that would be deemed effortless, but it's just not working. Not for me, anyways.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Busta Ry wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:

Right, I guess I wouldn't be as bothered if I didn't think Blu had it in him to make a really good, if not excellent, LP.
It feels like he's trying to create a sound that would be deemed effortless, but it's just not working. Not for me, anyways.
basically he needs a producer to tell him what to do

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Busta Ry wrote:I'm over this guy and his projects that sound like they were thrown together by some 12 year-old on their very first Mac. We get it dude, you're an eclectic artiste. It's okay to play outside the box, but if the results are hot garbage, than maybe it's time to hop back in that box.
1+

Thun

Post by Thun »

Hip hop is saved (but unmixed).

zombie

Post by zombie »

jebus

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

production selection was good. recording could be way better. considering how Below The Heavens and the Johnson & Johnson albums sound.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

Not that good.

Frankly I think Blu is one of the most overhyped artists out there. Do people really think he is a lyrical messiah? His music is pretty bland too.

I also think Below the Heavens is overrated, soft album. It's good though, not gonna front. Just not great.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

aeokq wrote:
I also think Below the Heavens is overrated, soft album.
I don't think they were making any efforts to have it not be a "soft" album, if I understand what you mean.

Kind of sick of Blu too, just b/c I don't understand why someone would release a polished product and then follow it up ten times with unpolished material that's mostly mediocre precisely because it's unpolished.

It's too easy to mix shit down properly and there's just too much music out there for the taking for someone like Blu to be able to get away with that shit these days.

Nav

Post by Nav »

Busta Ry wrote:his ain't no Shabazz Palaces, neither is that other piece of shit, "Her Favorite Color".
What's Shabazz Palaces ?
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

tayRavage23

Post by tayRavage23 »

I was gonna go in but I see yall voiced my sentiments better than I could have.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Yeah i got the Shabazz Palaces vibe from this. It could have worked had the mixing/production been better. So fucking shitty.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

how's the her favorite color re-release?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Solo45

Post by Solo45 »

This guy really expects people to pay for his unmixed bullshit?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

you're not my boy blu.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

lol @ that intro, sample reminds me of toru takemitsu's scores with that strange german pronunciation.. will give it a listen..

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Thun wrote:Hip hop is saved (but unmixed).
incidentally i was just complaining in my own head that insight's voice is PERFECTLY mixed/leveled on the beat on 'which one' but count bass d sounds like he is rapping to a different beat his voice is so low

such an awesome song though. that beat is crafty, engaging, and creatively sequenced.
Nets 2022

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

PopeyeJones wrote:I don't understand why someone would release a polished product and then follow it up ten times with unpolished material that's mostly mediocre precisely because it's unpolished.

It's too easy to mix shit down properly and there's just too much music out there for the taking for someone like Blu to be able to get away with that shit these days.
:leon:

Versive

Post by Versive »

Not trying to come off as a rapapologist or whatever, but I'm pretty sure the lack of mixing was an aesthetic choice in this case. Pretentious or not, it's dope.

I like this album a lot. Guess it appeals to my lo-fidelity sensibilities.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that even if this were well-mixed, many of you would formulate some other negative consensus opinion about it just so you could keep sticking to the false notion that Blu fell off after Below The Heavens.

stilltown

Post by stilltown »

I really like this [album]. Having said that, I'm not paying $10 for it. Would pay $5 though. But $10... c'mon son, this is a recession.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Versive wrote:Not trying to come off as a rapapologist or whatever, but I'm pretty sure the lack of mixing was an aesthetic choice in this case. Pretentious or not, it's dope.

That being said, I'm fairly certain that even if this were well-mixed, many of you would formulate some other negative consensus opinion about it just so you could keep sticking to the false notion that Blu fell off after Below The Heavens.
You may be right as far as some people on this site go but I was not among those who had some transcendental experience listening to BTH. It was a good record but I liked Her Favorite Colour. I am all for lo-fi...you see me on here bigging up Monsta Island Czars, Super Chron, Big Jus, Uncut Raw...

But this is just shitty and lazy. If this is his aesthetic choice, then it is one that I find annoying, pretentious and most importantly, it fails to add anything positive to the listening experience.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

Versive wrote:Not trying to come off as a rapapologist or whatever, but I'm pretty sure the lack of mixing was an aesthetic choice in this case. Pretentious or not, it's dope.

only post that matter in this thread. the albums dope.
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

Versive

Post by Versive »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:...this is just shitty and lazy. If this is his aesthetic choice, then it is one that I find annoying, pretentious and most importantly, it fails to add anything positive to the listening experience.
Different strokes... Some of these songs wouldn't work as well with proper mixing IMO. In that sense, yes, the lack of mixing doesn't add anything. The songs just sound like they're supposed to sound - raw. If you cleaned up his vocals, adjusted the levels and so on, would that add to it to or take something away from it?

...Now watch him release the hard copy fully mixed in like a month, making me sound like a real dipshit.

BTW, I wasn't including you in that blanket remark, you're cool.

Bring Back The Tempo

Post by Bring Back The Tempo »

Lo-fi or whatever, this album is damn soulful. I've been bumping it nonstop this past week.
Quinton of Pharcyde fame is the one who started the "I'm not a rapper" trend.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Versive wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:...this is just shitty and lazy. If this is his aesthetic choice, then it is one that I find annoying, pretentious and most importantly, it fails to add anything positive to the listening experience.
Different strokes... Some of these songs wouldn't work as well with proper mixing IMO. In that sense, yes, the lack of mixing doesn't add anything. The songs just sound like they're supposed to sound - raw. If you cleaned up his vocals, adjusted the levels and so on, would that add to it to or take something away from it?

...Now watch him release the hard copy fully mixed in like a month, making me sound like a real dipshit.

BTW, I wasn't including you in that blanket remark, you're cool.
Word.

As far as this project, agree to disagree. I feel like I am listening to it over the phone, through clock radio speakers