What songs or what interested u in the following artists?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

blessingindisguise

What songs or what interested u in the following artists?

Post by blessingindisguise »

Currensy--probably the fact my nigga loves him and he paid alot of dues from No limit to Cash money and kept grinding.

Atmosphere--different style but fresh when i saw Sluggo and ANT at the rubberroom and living legends tour back in the day at a concert.

Big krit--was put on to him prior to Krit wuz here. Didn't think hed blow up this big but he kept polishing and rocks his influences on his sleeve which is a good thing.

KRS-1--old bootleg boogie down production tape. Best live MC ever!! Only DMX and the Roots come close. Though i heard t.i. and ludacris are dope live too.

Lil wayne--wrote him off as just another flash in the pan south rapper with dope production. He kept spitting and kept getting better. Copping The squad up mixtapes in Nawlins had me checking for Weezy.

Mic geronimo--the classic shits real on 12'. He was always one hit away and taking 6 years off from the game didn't help.

Cormega---"affirmative action" off Nas aged well classic "It was written

Lil b--all these fucking based god talk and him calling himself pretty bitch made me check him. Nigga got tracks for days.

Jay electronica--because he took a more subtle approach in the way his material is released compared to everyone being accessible. Reminds me of a late 90's mc like killah priest or somebody with more of a southern influence.

Cory gunz--freestyles in the ride and that apprentice mixtape.

Outkast--"Players ball" ahh back in the days when Freaknik, Miami bass was spreading and the Hawks sucked with Jon kontract. You Couldn't go nowhere in the A without this playing like u couldn't go anywhere in the A without seeing a Waffle house.

Questionmark asylum---the album. Here's a good article on them.
http://www.thecouchsessions.com/2010/04 ... rk-asylum/

Brand nubian--"punks jump up to get beat down" on Yo MTV raps. when i rocked girbauds, had a gumby fade and listened to CD singles from Sam goody. *nods to thun*.

UGK--hearing tell me something good on the radio. Yeah im getting old. R.I.P. pimp c.

Big pun---"off the books" with the beatnuts and cuban link. It's a damn shame he died. Smh at him hitting Jay-z over the head with a bottle of Cris and Jigga talking bou it on volume 3. R.I.P.

Thun

Post by Thun »

A gumby fade in late 92, son?

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Hey we all make mistakes. :lol:

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

Currensy-- my manager kicked it with him in ottawa before he did pilot talk i think? and told me to check him out.. eventually did when i kept seeing him pop up on :phila:

Atmosphere--my brother downloaded lucy ford and i dug it a lot, then went to see atmosphere w/ murs, blueprint, and brother ali on the god loves ugly tour i think? it was at the comfort zone in toronto and then afterwards i met slug and murs and that was cool.

Big krit--don't really listen to him much still.

KRS-1--return of the boom bap, forget who gave me it first.

Lil wayne--he is gay and i like very few of his songs.

Mic geronimo--brother i think got me into him. nh.

Cormega---cant remember

Lil b--chaz kangas' hype.

Jay electronica--basically everyone in toronto was raving about him when exhibit c came out and i checked it.

Cory gunz--gay

Outkast--got aquemini when i was young for a xmas present. liked them since. good present.

Questionmark asylum---???? nothing ever because ive never heard of them?

Brand nubian--also punks jump up to get beat down.

UGK--don't recall..

Big pun---brother bought capital punishment and i was like 'oh this is good'

aleph

Post by aleph »

Thun wrote:A gumby fade in late 92, son?
With the fresh scene depicting al Mahdi driving the British out of Sudan shaved in the back?

aleph

Post by aleph »

1st sight of KRS- Video Music Box, 1987

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6s-_ZSmk1Q?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b6s-_ZSmk1Q?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="390" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

When he went into "cuz girls look sooo good but their brain is not ready, I don't knoooooow..." I found my new rhymin' hero.

Kid That's Lifeless

Re: What songs or what interested u in the following artists

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Currensy: This Ain't No Mixtape

Atmosphere: not really a fan

Big krit: The whole KRIT wuz Here album

KRS-1: "South Bronx" was the first song I remember really liking when I started checking for him. I loved that beat.

Lil wayne: "Respect Us" and his verse on "Back That Ass Up." He's been hit and miss since then, but when he hits he's great.

Mic geronimo: No idea. downloaded his first album when I was in high school, listened to it a few times.

Cormega: Don't remember. Haven't listened to him in forever.

Lil b: I've heard maybe five tracks total and I couldn't tell you the names of any of them.

Jay electronica: "Dimethyltryptamine" been a big fan since.

Cory gunz: Nothing

Outkast: "Ms. Jackson" and I bought Stankonia with my allowance. Favorite album during middle school.

Questionmark asylum: I don't know what this is.

Brand nubian: No idea, downloaded some of their albums when I was 16.

UGK: "Big Pimpin" or "Sippin on Some Syrup," completely forgot about them for like 5 years and then Bun B was featured on like every song.

Big pun: "Still Not A Player" was the first song I heard by him when I was 9 or 10. Probably didn't listen to Capital Punishment in its entirety til I was about 15.

GetToStepping

Post by GetToStepping »

Atmosphere-- Overcast! Well, the lyrics anyway. Definitely not the beats.

KRS-1-- As opposed to BDP? Return of the Boom Bap

Lil wayne-- Can't remember. I jumped on that bandwagon late.

Brand nubian-- All for One

Big pun--- Twins

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Curren$y- knew of him since the No Limit video he was in that got BET rotation; downloaded TANM and liked a few tracks. Slept on Pilot Talk until about August last year. The ג€œExampleג€ beat got me
interested, and I got used to his flow.

Atmosphere ג€“ went to see a show that had Eyedea and Mr. Dibbs. Introduced to Atmosphere via live show. Bought Atmosphere and Eyedea & Abilities CDs; liked Atmosphereג€™s better. Later on, enjoyed God Loves Ugly and Felt 2 more than any other Atmosphere works.

Big K.R.I.T. ג€“ K.R.I.T. Wuz Here. Dude from the south making beats with samples ala Three 6 almost, but with more intriguing rapsג€¦sometimes. Overall, still a favorite.

KRS-One ג€“ Saw the video for ג€œMy Philosophyג€ one Saturday morning on Yo! MTV Raps hosted by Fab 5 Freddy. Back when it wasnג€™t a daily show.

Lil Wayne ג€“ Hot Boys, ג€œWe On Fireג€ probably. Most of that Hot Boys stuff I couldnג€™t tell between Wayne and Turk; maybe Iג€™m retarded. I usually check out the new Carter era Wayne stuff, but havenג€™t really been floored by too much. He references bowel movements too much. Leave that to Kool Keith.

Mic Geronimo ג€“ I bought Mic Geronimoג€™s ג€œVendettaג€ on CD in 1998 and never really listened to it. I had a black friend who listened to all No Limit and 2Pac mostly, and he told me that his favorite new rapper of the time was Mic Geronimo. So, I bought the CD for some odd reason and never even got around to really peeping it. Weird shit.

Cormega ג€“ Iג€™m not really familiar with Cormega other than hearing Nas dissing him on Stillmatic.
Whatג€™s some good Cormega.

Lil B ג€“ All the beats with the Imogen Heap samples, and him just being ridiculous in every way possible.

Jay Electronica ג€“ Iג€™ve probably only heard about 10 songs by him, but I like what I hear for the most part.

Cory Gunz ג€“ I donג€™t know much about him except the one verse Iג€™ve heard (6ג€™7ג€™) sounds like someone trying too hard a la white boy fast raps. It doesnג€™t ride the beat well, or even end that song well.

Outkast ג€“ My cousin bought ATLiens on CD because his local radio station where he lived at was playing ג€œATLiensג€ and he liked that song. He left the CD in my car by accident and I got interested after playing it a few times. I think I saw the video for ג€œSouthernplayalisticetcג€ on Yo MTV Raps also before that, and read a review of the ATLiens album in a magazine.

Brand Nubian ג€“ wasnג€™t familiar with them. There was a time in the 90s when I was listening to Nirvana instead of hip hop and missed out on some things. Wasnג€™t Grand Puba in Brand Nubian? I remember seeing the 360 video on BET back in the days, though.

UGK ג€“ had a friend give me a copy of Ridin Dirty on CD because someone they knew left it in their car and they didnג€™t want it. From the start of ג€œOne Dayג€ I was hooked.

Big Pun ג€“ I remember seeing MTV News cover him as the next big thing when Capital Punishment came out. Iג€™m still not very familiar with most of his non-single stuff.
I always liked the beat for ג€œBet Ya Man Canג€™t.ג€

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote: Mic geronimo: No idea. downloaded his first album when I was in high school, listened to it a few times.
A few times?

If you don't listen to Masta I.C. a few times a week, complete with Roc Raida air scratches, kill yourself.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

How many hip-hops will I earn by doing that?

myself

Post by myself »

Mic Geronimo- Sex in the 90s

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:How many hip-hops will I earn by doing that?
It depends on the individual.
But you're talking to a guy who wears bubble vests with t-shirts, one pant leg rolled up, and a phillie sticking out of his hat.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

props to mentioning Questionmark Asylum, dope DC crew

you're talking mostly to 11yo on here so they dont remember the 90s

of course the single Look Away got radio play out in Cali and I also liked that Get With You joint on some Bootsy pimp shit, picked up a new copy a few years ago

supnick

Post by supnick »

seen that bul jay e riding a camel in the desert and i knew it was over

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

A good portion of these come with the disclaimer that I'm 24 and obviously didn't listen to artists like Brand Nubian when they were first dropping...

Curren$y- Still kind of sleeping on this guy. Downloaded a bunch of his tapes last summer and liked what I heard, but never really revisited. Still haven't listened to the Pilot Talks. Probably my most-listened to Curren$y verse is the one he kicks on "No Wheaties."

Atmosphere ג€“ I think the first Atmosphere I ever listened to was "Seven's Travels." Some hardcore kid I knew in high school let me borrow the disc years and years ago on some "This is the only rap I listen to, check it out" shit. I still have the cd and have still only listened to it once. Listened to "Lucy Ford" in college (yeah I know, typical) and loved it though.

Big K.R.I.T. ג€“ Definitely "K.R.I.T. Wuz Here." I like K.R.I.T., but don't really find myself playing his shit all that much. "Moon & Stars" and "No Wheaties" get a lot of burn though.

KRS-One ג€“ Sure the first time I heard KRS was on "My Philosophy" and "The Bridge is Over," which I'm pretty sure were pirated MP3s. I used to squeeze Kazaa for all it was worth back in the day, it helped me catch up on a lot of older rap music.

Lil' Wayne ג€“ Probably on BET back in 5th or 6th grade, when he was running with the Hot Boyz. :wig: I used to love that shit, late 90's era Cash Money was awesome to a young whig. Never really listened to anything else up until the "Carter III" hype, when I started listening to a lot of those Drought mixtapes.

Mic Geronimo ג€“ "Train of Thought" is the only Mic Geronimo song I've ever heard and ever care to hear.

Cormega ג€“ Not really familiar with Cormega either. His verse on "Use Mad Clips" is dope though.

Lil' B ג€“ First listened to Lil' B on some Cocaine Blunts "Best Of" compilation a couple of years ago, deleted it in about 5 minutes. His shit just does not do it for me.

Jay Electronica ג€“ Saw him at Rock The Bells in 2008 and he tore it up. Later saw him dancing in the pit with that fucking "Three Wise Men"-looking staff he used to carry around. I've really only listened to a handful of songs but what I've heard, I really like.

Cory Gunz ג€“ Never listened.

Outkast ג€“ "Rosa Parks" in 5th or 6th grade. Loved that song. Never ended up buying "Aquemini," but "ATLiens" was one of the first rap cds I ever bought and remains one of my favorites of all time.

Brand Nubian ג€“ Like KRS, they dropped before my time and I heard them for the first time in high school on some disc of pirated rap MP3s. First songs I ever heard were "Slow Down" and "Dance To My Ministry." "All For One" is now one of my favorite albums ever.

UGK ג€“ Like a lot of folks my age, I first heard them on "Big Pimpin'" but didn't realize exactly who they were until years later. "Ridin' Dirty" is another one of my favorite albums and the album that really turned me on to UGK. One of my favorite groups, period.

Big Pun ג€“ "Still Not A Player" was a huge tune on local radio, and my friend's older sister had a copy of "Capital Punishment" that we ended up nicking from her. I loved that shit. I remember being really sad when I read in Vibe that he had died.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Currensy: Only heard on KRIT songs, don't give him much attention tbh

Atmosphere: Never fully listened.

Big krit: Heard King, d/led his debut and thought the beats banged and he kinda grew on me (nh)

KRS-1: Anything from the 80s and 90s and early 00s

Lil wayne: Cousin gave me Lights Out when it dropped. Listened to two songs for a couple months, then threw the CD away. Forgot about him until he got big in the current mainstream, still don't listen to him or know much about him.

Mic geronimo: Debut's cool, sophomore's aight. Neither get much play from me although the debut did about 12 years ago.

Cormega: Took interest in him (nh) in 01 when he dropped his debut, been a fan ever since.

Lil b: Have only been exposed to a few songs. I'm not fond of them.

Jay electronica: Heard Exhibit, played it a few times, lost interest, don't keep up widdem.

Cory gunz: Heard em on a youtube video years ago, thought he was dope as fuck. Haven't checked him out further, but I need to.

Outkast: Cousin had every Outkast album that was currently out. So he gave me ATLiens, and I listened to his Big Boi and Dre Present... a lot. Copped Stanktonia.

Questionmark asylum: Amazing debut album. Cohesive, soulful beats, has heart and feeling and captured a time. Lyrics were very slack and not a strong point, but every other thing was. Glad they didn't make a sophomore, any other time in hip hop, they wouldn't have found a sound as good as they did at the time in which they recorded.

Brand nubian: Thought they was whack originally. Couldn't stand anyone's voice, although I was intrigued by em (nh). Didn't take long to get into em tho, Everything Is Everything, their debut, and Foundation stay in constant rotation now.

UGK: Only listen when they featured on someone else's shit. Don't dislike em, just don't get what all the fuss about.

Big pun: Thought was dope from the moment I heard. Always in rotation, always was.

Odd list of groups/emcees.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

myself wrote:Mic Geronimo- Sex in the 90s
:lol: Forgot about that.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Currensy--I used to hear him on Wayne mixtapes and his voice always pissed me off so i never gave him a chance.

Atmosphere--The first vinyl they had, i think it was called Overcast? I also liked that Dyno Spectrum album a lot.

Big krit--doesnt do much for me.

KRS-1--The Jack of Spades song or My Philosophy video on Yo!

Lil wayne--Never dug his albums but he had some great mix tapes a few years back.

Mic geronimo--That show he was on for MTV about young couples dating

Cormega---Always thought he was wildly overrated.

Lil b--I dont get it.

Jay electronica--That song with the boondox video.

Cory gunz--His BET or VH1 Awards freestyle was insane

Outkast--First video, think it was players ball, had a real souls of mischief meets doggpound vibe. loved it.

Questionmark asylum---I always thought they were like their homestate of maryland....corny.

Brand nubian--I used to work on a coors truck in college. A dude that worked on a pepsi truck supposedly new them, and he was into hip hop, older, had a dope flat top. So i immediately bought the tape.

UGK--Never heard them before the song big pimpin. havent heard them since.

Big pun---Really slept on him. till that song with I believe it was black thought and inspector deck. and he murdered both of them.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Currensy--
I haven't totally embraced his shit yet but I've liked a few joints of his last three releases. I guess Pilot talk 1 would be when I noticed him first.

Atmosphere--
The song "Outernet" was given to me on a mixtape and I bugged the fuck out over it.

Big krit--
Never peeped him.

KRS-1--
The video for my philosophy

Lil wayne--
Meh

Mic geronimo-
I thought "Shit's real" was ok, But MAsta IC sold me

Cormega---
Meh

Lil b--
I first peeped him when he had like 1000 myspace pages and was making the worst music known to man. I think that soured me to him and I haven't really gone back since.

Jay electronica--
I downloaded a mixtape from here. The song "Something to hold onto" was the one that got me into him.

Cory gunz--
I've never listened to a bar of rap this guy has done.

Outkast--Players ball

Questionmark asylum---
They were like a more street version of Joe Public.

Brand nubian--
The Wake up video

UGK--Pocket full of stones put me on to them. I liked that song but never got heavy into much else of there from that era.

Big pun---
I honestly don't remember. I'm assuming I first heard him as a guest on a posse cut or something. He stood out though cause he sounded like kool g rap with no lisp and a mouth full of rice.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Blockhead wrote:Questionmark asylum---
They were like a more street version of Joe Public.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Mic Geronimo and Questionmark Asylum answers are consistently cracking me up.

GrimeyHippy

Post by GrimeyHippy »

try an eastcoast version of the pharcyde or SOM

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

Currensy--
I like a few of the songs I heard with Ski Beatz.

Atmosphere--
The Lucy Ford EP.

Big krit--
Haven't check it out.

KRS-1--
"Love's Gonna Get You (Material Love)"

Lil wayne--
Not a fan. Super not a fan.

Mic geronimo-
"Masta I.C."... Vendetta's not as bad as it's been made out to be.

Cormega---
This dude is dope and consistent. Obviously I knew of him in his Def Jam Days, but when The Realness dropped- I was a fan for life.

Lil b--
This dude has not made a good impression on me.

Jay electronica--
I've been hearing about this dude forever. He's had a couple cool records but it's hard for me to not think he's way overhyped.

Cory gunz--
I've never listened to a bar of rap this guy has done.

Outkast--
"Player's Ball" came out when I was in 7th grade.

Questionmark asylum---
I always liked these guys but the album was a 7/10 at best. The two singles and "Stop Sweatin' Me" were the best three songs.

Brand nubian--
"Slow Down". I'm not stretching when I say Sadat and Puba are both in the TOP 25 rappers of all-time.

UGK-- I've known who they were for like 15 years. It's rare that I check for their shit though.

Big pun---
First heard him on the first Funkmaster Flex 60 Minutes tape when he was known as Big Dog Punisher. I guess the first time I heard him on shit I thought was dope was either "Off The Books" or "I'm Not a Player".

Blockhead, have you listened to a fair amount of Mega and don't like it or just never really gave it a shot?

GrimeyHippy, I understand the Questionmark/ Pharcyde comparison in regards to sound but Pharcyde is a vastly superior group. Souls of Mischief is also 10X better than Questionmark as well... That's no slight to QM, but SOM and Pharcyde made much better music than those dudes did...

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Currensy--pforgot the song but he mentioned peanut butter and jellytime from Family Guy in one long-ass punchline. i was a fan from that.

Atmosphere--i've mentioned it a few times but this track called "Multiples No. 2" from the Headshots "Industrial Warfare" tape. that fuckin' song still is one of my fav. that Slug's written.

Big krit--i forgot. i know the track he's got with Rittz and Yelawolf.

KRS-1--i caught onto KRS after Criminal Minded and had to back track from some of the stuff he put out on Sex & Violence.

Lil wayne--the Squad Up mixtapes.

Mic geronimo--he hada single before Masta I.C. called "Shit Iz Real". i think thats what its called.

Cormega---got into Cormega way later. i heard some of the Realness and thought it was ok. but "verbal grafitti" on the "true meaning" album had be hooked.

Lil b--hit or miss. i like him when he does tracks like "Life's Zombies". i weave some of them for those tracks where he's really rippin' shit.

Jay electronica--i liked him from before but i think Exibhit C really showed folks what he's about.

Cory gunz--he's had some songs where he really mashes on fools with the double time.

Outkast--"Players ball" video on Rap City caught me by surprise. loved it.

Questionmark asylum---"Hey Lookaway" had me thinking they would be the east coast Pharcyde. they seemed to have promise.

Brand nubian--"punks jump up to get beat down" and "allah u akbar". i had to back track when i heard about these to "one for all" once i kept seeing the "slow down" video.

UGK--my good friend of mine in jr. high and high school let me borrow "pocket full of stones". i used to play the shit out of "crampin' my style".

Big pun---the original "i'm not a player". when i had my old mazda, i used to bump the shit out of this album.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

Currensy--wildly overrated. just dont tickle my pickle.

Atmosphere--found out about him and aesop rock and a ton of other white rappers i knew nothing about from hhi. i like their shit. i used to bump the fuck out of that "if i were santa claus" song

Big krit--just listened to his latest. im on the bubble about him. i see the appeal and the potential.

KRS-1--in about 4 seconds, a teacher will begin to speak

Lil wayne--the carter 1 is still his best shit. there's nothing better than wayne over mannie fresh beats.

Mic geronimo--never got into him.

Cormega---see mic geronimo

Lil b--see cormega

Jay electronica--im on the bandwagon.

Cory gunz--see lil b

Outkast-- southernplayalisticadillacfunkymuzik came out the tail end of my senior year in high school! this is all you heard playing in people's cars. you could tell new york niggas cause they rode out to illmatic instead.

Questionmark asylum---who?

Brand nubian--i got the all for one tape as a christmas present in the 8th grade. slow down is the song.

UGK--i got a pocket full of stones.

Big pun---"off the books" made me buy capital punishment. i dont wanna be a playa no mo...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Rob Banks wrote: Blockhead, have you listened to a fair amount of Mega and don't like it or just never really gave it a shot?
I've listened to a bunch of songs and guest spots but never a whole album. He wasn't bad just not particularly interesting to me. I'm also now crazy about his voice.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Blockhead wrote:
Rob Banks wrote: Blockhead, have you listened to a fair amount of Mega and don't like it or just never really gave it a shot?
I've listened to a bunch of songs and guest spots but never a whole album. He wasn't bad just not particularly interesting to me. I'm also now crazy about his voice.
i always enjoyed nature more, and was glad he replaced cormega in the firm, thought he had more charisma and a better voice...that said they both made very boring records.

step one

Post by step one »

Currensy - my flatmate played me Covert Coup the day after it dropped. I thought it was fucking brilliant and have listened to it pretty much every day since. I copped both Pilot Talks aswell via recommendations on Tha :phila:

Atmosphere - pretty sure Ive never heard anything by them

Big krit-- see Atmosphere

KRS-1- My Philosophy was on some 'Rap Trax' compilation I bought when I was about 10

Lil wayne - Think he's shit. The only Wayne-related track I have/like are Bling Bling, Back Dat Ass Up, Duffle Bag Boy and Renaissance Rap remix

Mic Geronimo - weird inclusion. Liked Its Real when it dropped but he's your standard 90s East Coast rapper. good to see him on the NY Minute remix but not particularly bothered if he ever does anything else

Cormega - like him but never bothered to check his whole catalogue. I guess the first thing I heard him on wouldve been 'On The Real' in 96 which is a fucking monster of a track

Lil B - again, havent heard much of his stuff. Quite liked 'Good Morning' for a bit.

Jay Electronica - finally bothered to listen to Exhibit C about 3 months after it dropped. Liked it. DL'd a comp of his stuff that someone on here put together and thought it was a bit hit & miss.

Cory Gunz - heard a couple of freestyles around 07-08. Thought he was ok but couldnt really be fucked to find out more.

Outkast - saw Players Ball on MTV Raps, picked it up on 12" the day it dropped (alongside SWV & Wu 'Anything' on a cassette single if I remember right)

Questionmark asylum - Liked Hey Look Away when it was getting played on mixshows quite a bit.

Brand Nubian - my friend bought One For All the day I bougt Amerikkkas Most Wanted. I liked Slow Down and the title track but it wasnt fucking with Cube. Revisited the whole thing a few years later when my tastes had switched from PE, Ice T & Cube to Pete Rock, Gang Starr and Main Source and liked it alot more.

UGK - probably on the Menace II Society soundtrack, Like a few tracks but like someone said above, dont really get what the fuss is all about.

Big Pun - heard him rhyming over 'Ice Cream' on Funk Flex's first album and thought that was awesome, heard him a few more features like Off The Books and Fire Water and then got 'Im Not A Player' when it came out. More of a gradual thing I guess.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Currensy--Again this board played a huge role. I think Blastmaster used to always post about him on SB years ago. He is Devin The Dude with better production and more relevant.

Atmosphere--Was hating at first. Associated with Anticon and all that horrible shit that used to be talked about on HHI. A friend DJ Graffitti made me open up and then I started listening from GLU era. Once Slug started posting more and more on here I became curious to give the earlier stuff a chance. I would honestly say if he didn't become a member here, I probably would have always slept. But I can also honestly say I've thoroughly enjoyed their catalog and think he is a really talented rapper.

Big krit--He is like a combination of Devin/Currensy. This board turned me on to him. I enjoy his production the most.

KRS-1--Love's Gonna Getcha on MTV Raps

Lil wayne--Block Is Hot I guess. I like his newer stuff than older stuff.

Mic geronimo--Shit's Real

Cormega---Bland rapper. Always thought so. His talent is his ear for beats. Killaz Theme or something probably. The Realness is a superb album though.

Lil b--Novelty act that I don't get. Don't hate, just don't get.

Jay electronica--At first I hated because of the name. Had a convo with him at Rock The Bells and seemed really cool and it allowed me to lose that guard. Then his music took me off guard.

Cory gunz--Fuck him and his father.

Outkast--I remember the Player's Ball video and immediately knew they were going to be dope.

Questionmark asylum--- Look Away.

Brand nubian-- I actually first was into Puba before Nubian and owned Reel To Reel before All For One. I blame Tommy Hilfiger.

UGK--Pocket Full of Stones. Always liked Bun's voice.

Big pun---Off The Books

DaBonks

Post by DaBonks »

Currensy- After getting ridiculous amounts of mentions on 2dbz I found "This Ain't No Mixtape" and it was brilliant. Instantly fell in love with the flow, but I'm a sucker for laidback flows. He's only gotten better since then.

Atmosphere- You can't believe how much fun we're having. Was put on by a friend.

Big krit- Heard KRIT wuz Here and it was pretty good.

KRS-1- I don't really listen to any KRS-1, but I respect him as a legend.

Lil wayne- Only hear him when he's featured on other rappers', that I like, records. He's good on "Hollywood Divorce".

Mic geronimo- I don't listen to him.

Cormega- Same

Lil b- Same. Always seemed to much of a joke and to little of music.

Jay electronica- Act II: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I love the movie and when I read about a rapper who turned this brilliant soundtrack in to a rap record I was intrigued. I still listen to it regularly.

Cory gunz- Don't listen to him

Outkast- I'm not that old, so it was after hearing Ms. Jackson, So Fresh So Clean & especially The Whole World I started liking them. But now their my favourite group.

Questionmark asylum- Have no idea who it is.

Brand nubian- Have never checked up on them.

UGK-Don't really listen to them, but International Playas Anthem is a great track.

Big pun- Don't listen to him, and I know that is a hip-hop sin, but I really don't care.