Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Dap

Re: Mr. Muthafuckin eXquire

Post by Dap »

the power and passion EP leaked

01 CAri ZALloni (Prod. Dot Da Genius)
02 Cheap Whores & Champagne (Prod. Harry Fraud)
03 Telephuck (ft. Gucci Mane) (Prod. El-P)
04 Supa Speaks (Interlude)
05 AGGIN LAER (ft. Goldie Glo) (Prod. SpaceGhostPurrp)
06 The Message Pt.1 & 2 (Prod. BSBD)

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

spaceghostpurpp song :cheers:

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

EP is really dope. Nice to see another artist who was popular on the independent circuit put out a major label product (even one this short) that doesn't make his fans cringe.

My favorite tracks are Carl Zalloni and the SGP and BSBD cuts. But I wouldn't throw away any of the five tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Enjoyed this. lol @ saying it leaked
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Dap

Post by Dap »

Kony Montana wrote:Enjoyed this. lol @ saying it leaked

lol didn't realize this was gonna be on itunes

DLG

Post by DLG »

here's a good example of why I think El-P has fallen off a lot recently. he pretty much has the safest beat on this.

the track still bumps, but SGP pretty much out-El-P-ed El-P bringing that noisy, dark, dusty shit that El-P used to be the master of.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Yeah... the BSBD beats also reminded me a bit of El-P's better days.

That said, El-P has always been hit or miss producing individual cuts for other artists. I'm still a big fan of what he did on R.A.P. Music and Cancer4Cure .
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

Post Co-Flow El-P suffers from overproduction syndrome. His peak as a producer is Little Johnny. Me thinks. I have the strong feeling that DJ Mr. Len was a lot more than just a scratches adder. He must have had a lot to do with the raw almost organic hip-hop vibe that was Co-Flow's appeal in the first place. El-P as a solo producer is more on the mechanical/industrial side of things. Which is really hit or miss as far as i'm concerned.

Now back to Power & Passion: Aggin Laer is really really good. Noise rap done correctly. I love it how the tension builds throughout the track. SGP is a talented producer.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

little johnny was his peak?

:killacam:

from funcrusher to hells winter elp was out of his mind

DLG

Post by DLG »

AWAE wrote:little johnny was his peak?

:leon:

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

AWAE wrote:little johnny was his peak?

:fail:

B. Ware tha Siniq

BadLT wrote:Post Co-Flow El-P suffers from overproduction syndrome. His peak as a producer is Little Johnny. Me thinks. I have the strong feeling that DJ Mr. Len was a lot more than just a scratches adder. He must have had a lot to do with the raw almost organic hip-hop vibe that was Co-Flow's appeal in the first place. El-P as a solo producer is more on the mechanical/industrial side of things. Which is really hit or miss as far as i'm concerned.

This is really overly-simplistic. Even if you prefer Co-Flow production to Fan Dam, ISWYD, Cold Vein, etc. And your assertion on Len's production influence, while it might possibly have a hint of merit, is total conjecture. El-P has had a hell of a production career post Little Johnny... Len and Juss have both tried their hands behind the boards, and neither of them have shown anything that suggests a Funcrusher Plus or Little Johnny level of skill. Although I do like that first Len album. There has been a pretty subtle arc over El-P's career from sample-heavy production to keyboard based production. He's just on an end of the spectrum right now that a lot of boom-bap fanatics aren't really down with. I do agree that this beat as well as the stuff on Cancer4Cure is less chaotic or sample-based than anything he'd done before, but it's not like this happened overnight.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Dap wrote:the power and passion EP leaked

01 CAri ZALloni (Prod. Dot Da Genius)
02 Cheap Whores & Champagne (Prod. Harry Fraud)
03 Telephuck (ft. Gucci Mane) (Prod. El-P)
04 Supa Speaks (Interlude)
05 AGGIN LAER (ft. Goldie Glo) (Prod. SpaceGhostPurrp)
06 The Message Pt.1 & 2 (Prod. BSBD)
anybody wanna pm me? please.

Sebastion Shaw

Post by Sebastion Shaw »

meh.....

anticonguy

Post by anticonguy »

Heard he got a song with chief keef on his album :shittylikesometp:
"i cant listen to any rap... i think it all is pretty much boring to listen to.... i would never listen to some underground or mtv-underground shit when im home washing dishes or whatever... but some people still like rap... god bless em, thats who buys my records!"- sole

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
BadLT wrote:Post Co-Flow El-P suffers from overproduction syndrome. His peak as a producer is Little Johnny. Me thinks. I have the strong feeling that DJ Mr. Len was a lot more than just a scratches adder. He must have had a lot to do with the raw almost organic hip-hop vibe that was Co-Flow's appeal in the first place. El-P as a solo producer is more on the mechanical/industrial side of things. Which is really hit or miss as far as i'm concerned.

This is really overly-simplistic. Even if you prefer Co-Flow production to Fan Dam, ISWYD, Cold Vein, etc. And your assertion on Len's production influence, while it might possibly have a hint of merit, is total conjecture. El-P has had a hell of a production career post Little Johnny... Len and Juss have both tried their hands behind the boards, and neither of them have shown anything that suggests a Funcrusher Plus or Little Johnny level of skill. Although I do like that first Len album. There has been a pretty subtle arc over El-P's career from sample-heavy production to keyboard based production. He's just on an end of the spectrum right now that a lot of boom-bap fanatics aren't really down with. I do agree that this beat as well as the stuff on Cancer4Cure is less chaotic or sample-based than anything he'd done before, but it's not like this happened overnight.
Of course it's conjecture. But I clearly see a before/after type of situation due to the co-flow break up. The Cold Vein is still OK in my book, but Fan Dam is where I lost my confidence in El-P. Basically I think everything he has done after Cold Vein is overproduced, feels forced and is a mess. I miss the simplicity and effectiveness of tracks like collude/intrude or the fire in which you burn. That shit was raw.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

anticonguy wrote:Heard he got a song with chief keef on his album :shittylikesometp:
a person named anticonguy thinks chief keef is shitty like toilet paper and is symbolically dismissing the album because of it before listening to it or even being able to

color me astonished
Nets 2022

Dap

Post by Dap »

Reason wrote:
anticonguy wrote:Heard he got a song with chief keef on his album :shittylikesometp:
a person named anticonguy thinks chief keef is shitty like toilet paper and is symbolically dismissing the album because of it before listening to it or even being able to

color me astonished

:rofl: :rofl:

B. Ware tha Siniq

BadLT wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

Of course it's conjecture. But I clearly see a before/after type of situation due to the co-flow break up. The Cold Vein is still OK in my book, but Fan Dam is where I lost my confidence in El-P. Basically I think everything he has done after Cold Vein is overproduced, feels forced and is a mess. I miss the simplicity and effectiveness of tracks like collude/intrude or the fire in which you burn. That shit was raw.
That's fine to have that opinion, but what suggests it was due to the great sonic influence and oversight of Mr. Len? Where are Len's "Collude/Intrude" or "Fire In Which You Burn?" "Fire In Which You Burn" is 100% an El-P beat, and arguably as chaotic sounding anything he ever created. I also think a lot of people on this board feel like Cancer4Cure and this track are both examples of his music being under-produced and not-chaotic-enough. It's certainly less chaotic than Funcrusher Plus.

Versive

Post by Versive »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:It's certainly less chaotic than Funcrusher Plus.

As was I'll Sleep When You're Dead. Ironically, his less sample-based approach has resulted in some of his most "conventional" sounding beats, and I don't meant that in a bad way. The other thing is, though he doesn't sample as much right now, he's not at all abandoned the art of interpolation. See all the PE stabs scattered throughout C4C and R.A.P. Music.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Versive wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:It's certainly less chaotic than Funcrusher Plus.

As was I'll Sleep When You're Dead. Ironically, his less sample-based approach has resulted in some of his most "conventional" sounding beats, and I don't meant that in a bad way. The other thing is, though he doesn't sample as much right now, he's not at all abandoned the art of interpolation. See all the PE stabs scattered throughout C4C and R.A.P. Music.
:leon:

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

EP is slightly underwhelming mainly due to its length and lack of a real track where eX shows his true lyrical prowess or insane breath control. But I still like it overall and it leaves the listeners wanting more.

The Gucci track turned out way better and more natural sounding than I anticipated. My fav track is the CAZALs track, which sounds like a spiritual/musical successor to "Shades @ Night."

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Loving this upon repeated listens.

Good read:
http://www.mtvhive.com/2012/11/06/mr-mu ... d-passion/

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Really solid EP. Definitely sinks in after repeat listens.

Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye

Post by Kobe Bryant's Lazy Eye »

anybody wanna hook me up with this EP and The Man in the High Castle...can't find either anywhere

Harry Hater

Post by Harry Hater »

Would love to see El P do a project with Gucci.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Kony Montana wrote:
dope!

Just got around to checking EP. Pretty tipsy while bumping it, but I think it's pretty damn awesome. Pretty much the blueprint for not changing a single thing about your style when signing to a major.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

BadLT wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:

If you lost confidence in El-P at Fan Dam did you ever really have any confidence in him in the first place? Sounds kinda stupid.
I <3 Employee.