Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

they did a whole series like this, there's a wutang one too
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

young god wrote:Why have I only heard of two of those websites if they are such tastemakers?
thought the same shit.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
young god wrote:Why have I only heard of two of those websites if they are such tastemakers?
thought the same shit.
http://www.imposemagazine.com/

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Employee wrote:
GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
thought the same shit.
http://www.imposemagazine.com/
nobody's heard of this site either.

david111

Post by david111 »

you know a rapper's gonna be overrated when his thread's got almost as many posts as the entire bay area's

Seduce

Post by Seduce »

I work closely with Sony/RCA Records, and there is a bit of a joke around our offices about ASAP Rocky saying he got a $3,000,000 record deal. He actually got a $300,000 advance on a 360 deal, and the possibilities of being the creative director of ASAP Records (or whatever he calls it) as a satellite company. The potential budget of his upcoming album could top up to $1.7 million (typical record contract budget max with major labels), IF Sony/RCA decides to grant him access to that high of a budget.

They give this exact same deal out about 3 times a week to artists who rarely even come out.

Apathy got the same exact record deal, but never materialized a single or song that excited the brass enough to unlock his budget.

I'm sure ASAP Rocky will get further in his career than Apathy, but he is definitely not factual with a lot of what he says.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Seduce wrote:I work closely with Sony/RCA Records, and there is a bit of a joke around our offices about ASAP Rocky saying he got a $3,000,000 record deal. He actually got a $300,000 advance on a 360 deal, and the possibilities of being the creative director of ASAP Records (or whatever he calls it) as a satellite company. The potential budget of his upcoming album could top up to $1.7 million (typical record contract budget max with major labels), IF Sony/RCA decides to grant him access to that high of a budget.

They give this exact same deal out about 3 times a week to artists who rarely even come out.

Apathy got the same exact record deal, but never materialized a single or song that excited the brass enough to unlock his budget.

I'm sure ASAP Rocky will get further in his career than Apathy, but he is definitely not factual with a lot of what he says.
:copy:

this song is pretty dope. escobar will masturbate to it.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeKhVMYzbIM?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qeKhVMYzbIM?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Seduce wrote:I work closely with Sony/RCA Records, and there is a bit of a joke around our offices about ASAP Rocky saying he got a $3,000,000 record deal. He actually got a $300,000 advance on a 360 deal, and the possibilities of being the creative director of ASAP Records (or whatever he calls it) as a satellite company. The potential budget of his upcoming album could top up to $1.7 million (typical record contract budget max with major labels), IF Sony/RCA decides to grant him access to that high of a budget.

300K is still not too bad. Hope he makes the best of it.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Can you explain a "360 deal"? Does that just mean the record company gets a piece of everything the artist does, including shows, merch, mixtapes...

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

The Ivy League Nigga wrote:

Can you explain a "360 deal"? Does that just mean the record company gets a piece of everything the artist does, including shows, merch, mixtapes...
Yeah. Money from records went down so the record companies needed to make a profit of off the tours, merch, and etc. Its like there's taxes....then there's the record label.....then you get paid.

Not sure how mixtapes fit in the equation if they're free though.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

To be fair, he probably doesn't understand the structure of his own deal.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

What is the likelihood of him recouping his advance?

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Employee wrote:What is the likelihood of him recouping his advance?
If their gonna be taking tour/merch money it should be recouped pretty easily.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:
Employee wrote:What is the likelihood of him recouping his advance?
If their gonna be taking tour/merch money it should be recouped pretty easily.
Valid point, ru-ru.

nobs

Post by nobs »

300k is cool but i am sure he spent that shit on weed for him and his crew already. with that being said...

1) no wonder me and 75 people were laid off when we worked at SONY. they throw their money around carelessly.

2) i like the mixtape a lot

:)

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

realhiphop wrote:I've been diggin ASAP recently man...that interview where he talks about slapping Odd Future just made me love him even more haha...this dude is gonna be a monster
link?

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:

To be fair, he probably doesn't understand the structure of his own deal.
This is kind of what I was talking about. If any media outlet bothered to fact-check, dude probably wouldn't have half the hype. A 3mil deal is a big deal. Ten percent of that? Not so much.

That said I still bump the fuck out of the music. Solid record.

starks

Post by starks »

Tired & Broke wrote:
realhiphop wrote:I've been diggin ASAP recently man...that interview where he talks about slapping Odd Future just made me love him even more haha...this dude is gonna be a monster
link?

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

starks wrote:
Tired & Broke wrote:
link?
http://www.complex.com/music/2011/10/who-is-asap-rocky

Click through to the OF pic.

DaBonks

Post by DaBonks »

Isn't he talking about NOT slapping OF?
The way I got it was Left Brain was butthurt (nh) about ASAP using that leopard whatever-it-is, when he "did it first" and then Hodgy posted "Asap Copy" on his twitter. All of the internetz shouted BEEEF!, but he says he doesn't want it.

How is that slapping OF? ASAP Ty Beats even talked about he wanted to produce for OF. I don't think there's any hate, only young rappers with bad tempers and access to social networks.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

QWALMS wrote: If any media outlet bothered to fact-check, dude probably wouldn't have half the hype. .
they hype came before the deal, not the other way around. the deal thing just added to it

and yeah in that interview he actually explicitly says 'i DON"T want to smack anybody'
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

drizzle wrote:
QWALMS wrote: If any media outlet bothered to fact-check, dude probably wouldn't have half the hype. .
they hype came before the deal, not the other way around. the deal thing just added to it

and yeah in that interview he actually explicitly says 'i DON"T want to smack anybody'
I realize. I said half the hype. He'd still have hype but the mention of a 3mil deal put him on a lot more radars.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

QWALMS wrote:
drizzle wrote:

I realize. I said half the hype. He'd still have hype but the mention of a 3mil deal put him on a lot more radars.
Word. I'm sure that news alone gained him an additional 35-70,000 new fans.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

QWALMS wrote:
drizzle wrote:

Word. I'm sure that news alone gained him an additional 35-70,000 new fans.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Hype doesn't necessarily mean fans, but word, you guys are totally right!

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

QWALMS wrote:Hype doesn't necessarily mean fans, but word, you guys are totally right!
I wasn't referring to "hype." I was speaking directly to the new fans ASAP gathered when Katie Couric broke the news of his deal.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Jeff Weiss' review on Pitchfork this morning was solid.

It kind of side-stepped the album itself a bit, discussed too much of the hype, which I typically hate, but he did a solid job with it. Kept things in proper perspective and organized it into the album discussion.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:Jeff Weiss' review on Pitchfork this morning was solid.

It kind of side-stepped the album itself a bit, discussed too much of the hype, which I typically hate, but he did a solid job with it. Kept things in proper perspective and organized it into the album discussion.
Pitchfork wrote:By contrast, Rocky was telegenic and chanting swag. His lead singles poured syrup-slow Houston ride music atop the malt liquor melodies of Harlem's Max B. What Rocky lacked in lyricism, he made up for in narcotic charisma. Seeking street-cred, Drake announced plans to take Rocky on tour. Seeking swag-cred, Lloyd Banks and Jim Jones hopped on tracks with him. Hype metastasizes fastest in New York, and it's easy to conflate the need for a standard bearer with the desire for a savior. Rocky was the chosen one. Hence, $3,000,000.
LOL. Get the fuck out.

Dap

Post by Dap »

why do people even bother reading pitchfork? their hiphop reviews are straight L-O-L status