rappers co-signing wack rappers

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

rappers co-signing wack rappers

Post by Philaflava »

It's extremely common but how do you feel when its a rapper you admire? or even better what if its a rapper you like doing a collabo with somebody who is just awful? and i'm not alluding to the future collabo of Mac Miller and Aesop Rock that is bound to happen.

After reading the das racist thread it got me thinking how rappers usually have horrible taste or hidden agendas.

the dead poet

Re: rappers co-signing wack rappers

Post by the dead poet »

Philaflava wrote:
After reading the das racist thread it got me thinking how rappers usually have horrible taste or hidden agendas.
or they're just trying to get paid for a quick 16.

Didn't :ropeswing: have all the lyrical miracle emcees on one album?

shit I got a friend (who is atrocious) that did a collabo with crooked i, chino xl, and canibus on the same song....

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hieQ6P-JcLk?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hieQ6P-JcLk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

They for sure were not co signing him.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i blame the soft economy and myspace for this whole wack rapper collabo craze. look how guys like sean p or g. rap were selling verses for rent money.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Philaflava wrote:i blame the soft economy and myspace for this whole wack rapper collabo craze. look how guys like sean p or g. rap were selling verses for rent money.
you know, I never thought about it...but your right. Myspace defiantly to blame. Shit, it don't stop at emcee's either...Domingo was selling beats for dirt cheap for years.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I just ranted about this on Twitter. I'm kinda sad to see my idols peddling hooks and verses to whomever. On the other hand, shit, if these idiots have the money to waste on terrible collabs with established artists, who am I to say "don't get money?" Can't sell CDs, sell verses.

Rap in the modern age, I guess.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Anyone co-signing Termanology. M.O.P. I am dissapoint.

Steve Lurkel

Post by Steve Lurkel »

i think the most logical excuse is that a rapper is trying to capitalize on his popularity while he has the chance.

If you're making, let's say, 3 G's per show on tour, and you're doing 25 shows...you aren't making much off CD's, as we all know. if you can do a verse in each town for a shitty rapper that most people won't hear, and get 1G for each one..that's an extra 25 G's on the tour.

as an example.

that said, a collab isn't necessarily a cosign. and a co-sign could mean the two rappers are both cool, and thus them talking on twitter or whateverthefuck becomes a co-sign...

i don't really care too much either way. different people like different shit.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I somewhat agree that getting paid for a guest verse isn't a co-sign, but then again, it kinda is - I assume most rappers who spit a verse on shitty projects for a G would claim its all business, and I can see that side of things, BUT the only reason any small town no-name rapper is paying for a collabo is for the appearance of a "co-sign". By putting that rappers name on their album as a featured artist on the album.

My logic is that any rapper with a name spitting a verse on a relatively unknown artists project has to know they are going to use it on their project as a way to get known or attain listeners by attaching a more famous rappers name to the project - so its effectively a cosign, paid or not, and whether they like the project they are spitting a verse on or not. You would think that they would have some level of quality control to the point where it would have to be decent or good to do it, even with the money attached. Although I wouldn't consider it a "co sign" to the degree of working with an up and coming artist for free because they genuinely like what they are doing and want to help them come up...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

el p and das racist was literally the first thing that came to mind when i saw the thread

second was primo + almost every newish rapper he cosigned in the last 5-10 years
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Hustle Crowe and Sean P!

gentlejones

Post by gentlejones »

the entire theodore unit fit this description

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

How about the opposite, rappers who have never cosigned or collabed with shitty rappers? I can't think of any.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

:owens:

Nav

Post by Nav »

Snoop Dogg. He's a like truffle pig when it comes to money.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

gentlejones wrote:the entire theodore unit fit this description
You shut your filthy mouth, Trife Diesel will rap circles around your bitch ass.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Big Sean and CyHi Da Prynce ruining Kanye West songs.

Whatever this was:

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/YHGAN ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/YHGAN ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

Brougham33 wrote:Big Sean and CyHi Da Prynce ruining Kanye West songs.
big sean, yes.
cyhi, not so much.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Words, I kinda like Cyhi.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

Versive

Post by Versive »

Working with someone does not necessarily mean you co-sign them, it often means you care more about money than artistic integrity though.

Kool G Rap has appeared on tracks with plenty of wack rappers, bodied them and collected a check for it. Unfortunately, I doubt any of these casualties actually realized what'd happened and ended their career because of it. Just the opposite, I suspect.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Versive wrote:Working with someone does not necessarily mean you co-sign them, it often means you care more about money than artistic integrity though.
That's co-signing the check ain't it? It's 100% co-signing. Putting your name on the line that this person will pay off eventually.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Every time DJ Premier sells a beat, I cry inside.

Versive

Post by Versive »

CRASH DDZ wrote:
Versive wrote:Working with someone does not necessarily mean you co-sign them, it often means you care more about money than artistic integrity though.
That's co-signing the check ain't it? It's 100% co-signing. Putting your name on the line that this person will pay off eventually.

Yes, that's literally co-signing, but just because you take a check doesn't mean you're necessarily co-signing in the sense that you're saying, "I think so and so has skills," or "I dig their music." It could just mean you need $

See the 2nd post in the thread, which admittedly I also missed at first.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Image

wasn't Trez's father Khadafi's attorney?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

peanut butter wrote:Image

PEACE
But everyone knows Nas is the dumbest, laziest and by far has the worst taste of any rapper that's actually good.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Image

wasn't Trez's father Khadafi's attorney?
What's freaking me out is how much they look like one another.

papers

Post by papers »

nas cosigning drake and going to his concert

fuck outta here

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Trez looks like a "In soviet russia..." Joke waiting to happen.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:Trez looks like a "In soviet russia..." Joke waiting to happen.
In Soviet Russia, President arrests you.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Trez looks like a "In soviet russia..." Joke waiting to happen.
In Soviet Russia, President arrests you.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :hooray: