Battle Rap Vid Thread (KOTD, URL, iBattle, etc.)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Reason wrote:
Thun wrote:Wait, what is there other than wordplay? There's no flow or conceptual depth to be found. Enlighten us.
i think moolah wants the personals. and more multis.
Ya basically.

Talking about your opponent is a good start. Break down their weaknesses, make jokes, rap good, use wordplay, use humour.

The majority of Smack battles are 20 minute rounds of a black guy going "he wouldn't wave a fire arm if his sleeve was burning" followed by the crowd standing behind that rapper going "mmmmmmmmmmmm" and the crowd standing behind the other guy trying their hardest not to react to anything. BALL GAME

:omgracist:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Personals to a degree are a crutch. I think some of these cats rely on info. on their opponent so much that they forget to outrap their opponent, too. Sometimes, folks don't even deliver personals well. They say them and it doesn't help them win the battle.

Moolah, I can see why you'd like that because its about insults and being funny to a degree. But sometimes, I feel like do some of these dudes want to be good emcees or just off beat comedians that can tell jokes? Or private investigators making public announcements? Thats what was dope about Ness Lee and Pesci's battle.....they made a statement about what these kids are getting into the battle scene for. Thats why with some of the SMACK battles, you just hear muthafuckas goin' in. They don't care about what their opponent did when they were in the 6th grade or anything, well for the most part. They'll just spit.....even though they are tiring ass gunbars.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ardamus wrote:Personals to a degree are a crutch. I think some of these cats rely on info. on their opponent so much that they forget to outrap their opponent, too. Sometimes, folks don't even deliver personals well. They say them and it doesn't help them win the battle..
lol remember that one battle where uno lavoz dedicated an entire verse to the guy being a registered sex offender/pedophile LMAO
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Reason wrote:
ardamus wrote:Personals to a degree are a crutch. I think some of these cats rely on info. on their opponent so much that they forget to outrap their opponent, too. Sometimes, folks don't even deliver personals well. They say them and it doesn't help them win the battle..
lol remember that one battle where uno lavoz dedicated an entire verse to the guy being a registered sex offender/pedophile LMAO
Yeah, against Wird Of Pley. Some of those verses are cool but they don't always show you can out rap your opponent. I thought Uno wasn't bad in that battle. He definitely was more serious than he usually is in that one.

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Ardy and Reason, give us a list of your favourites.

Mine would look something like...

1. Real Deal
2. Dirt
3. Illmaculate
4. Loe Pesci
5. Bender
6. 24/7
7. 360
8. Ness Lee
9. Rone
10. Protege (based off one battle lol)

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Moolah wrote:Ardy and Reason, give us a list of your favourites.

Mine would look something like...

1. Real Deal
2. Dirt
3. Illmaculate
4. Loe Pesci
5. Bender
6. 24/7
7. 360
8. Ness Lee
9. Rone
10. Protege (based off one battle lol)
Put in bold the ones I fucks with the most. None of the battlers are wack just the ones I prefer to hear. Throw in Uno Lavoz, Everybody Knows, and QP in no order then you got my top 10.

Others include Chedda Cheese, Hitman Holla, Marv Won, Tech 9, Stainless, Michael White, Soul Khan, Arcane, and Rheteric Ramirez.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

wow no mention of hollow da don? dirtbag dan? nocando?

no way i rank loe pesci that high. his swag/style is not that fresh. he's a less wiggerish version of arcane. both arcane and he vary between completely boring to annoying to wack. i just don't like them as battlers. i heard pesci makes dope music though. they just aren't that good to me. it's not all about writing. you gotta have some presence. that's the reason real deal for example ranks super high on my top ten. he's got crazy presence "on the mic". his personality doesn't reek of bitchmadeness and he isn't corny. and they (pesci/arcane/some others) don't do anything dope enough with their flows to make up for it (even on a basic level like jackal's manipulation of his delivery)

that whole sesame street shit thun keeps saying about dirt fucked him up a little for me. he is easily a top 3 writer though when it comes to these battles. he's super anal about his syllable work and i love that shit when he executes it. he does SOUND :meh: though. if only stainless could write like dirt.

bender is easy top 5

illmac with his latest battle just definitely solidified mention in a top 10 way for me

24/7 is easily top 10. he might have the most "wtf? dot dot dot...OH SHIT" lines of all these dudes and even though a wigger from the florida suburbs should irk me, he never does, his personality comes off as earnest

if marvwon didn't pause and rap so low so often, i'd def put him top 10. but he puts my ass to sleep sometimes

qp is WACK, bro. then again i've only seen him get murdered.

uno lavoz is funny but he's no great battle rapper. he's just hilarious. he should do standup or become an angry character actor of some sorts in comedy.

soul khan is really fucking clever and doesn't sound as wack as he looks. he's gotta get mention. this exact statement fits rone as well. on a sidenote i was super impressed by the euro kid who beat rone last. i mean his off-the-dome shit was incredible and barely missed a beat to his written shit.

dirtbag dan is easily top 3 right now. ya kidding me? he manipulates deliveries, personals, punchlines, wordplay, changes tempos effortlessly, works the crowd, he's the fucking man at this shit.

nocando is easily a top 5 most talented but also the laziest when it comes to writing (or maybe busiest) but i still love watching him fuck kids up who spent weeks on a verse with throwaway freestyle lines lmao

hollow da don, his flow on "bomb and the generator, calm like a meditator" the pause before "yea in call of duty", his personals when he killed illmac by jumping in place while emphasizing his style of punchline rhymes, AND i've seen him flip what a dude said and incorporate it on the spot, not as skilled as some do it with the rebuttals, but still dope as fuck

dizaster has to get some mention. he's fucking ruthless, and he blacks out all the time during a verse. he is possibly the most personal.

dumbfoundead is easy top 5 when he's active and trying. he completely sonned PH, but i gotta mention that PH has shown me something, especially his last battle at KOTD, he is fresh and he's got that sermon's voice for rapping, gotta love it

one guy that i think is incredibly clever especially even on a subtle 24-7 way, but is also super weird in terms of how nonchalantly and casually and at times QUIETLY he delivers his verses, is that dude who battled uno lavoz when lavoz started going at fox who was just supporting on the sidelines. it was that dude with some voltage electricty name cuz i remember lavoz kept doing those punchlines...oh yea, WATTS.

there are some we're forgetting. it's not really fair to leave out thesaurus cuz he writes his ass off for the battles and he also has great freestyle rebuttals.
Nets 2022

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Hmmmmmm

Loe is way better than you're giving him credit for. Watch his first round verse Arcane, or his whole battle with Mischief that I posted on the previous page. Shit is koalas.

Marvwon during the Jumpoff era is the GOAT battle rapper, but he hasn't been on that level in years. His new style is more serious and way too slow, but still has it's moments.

QP isn't wack. He's a great writer. He just kinda has a shitty style and sorta like a Smack dude he thinks using infinite wordplay is the epitome of battle rap. He has two of the biggest losses ever though against 24/7 and Soul Khan. 24/7 demolished him.

Check the wordplay in the first verse here...

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzPqTkTe0JI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzPqTkTe0JI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Soul Khan probably deserves Top 10 but he's not really battling anymore. His battles vs QP and Aspire are classic. He very rarely comes weak (nh).

Dirtbag Dan is consistent and funny, but doesn't have much wow factor. He'd be just outside my top 10.

Agreed with Nocan.

Hollow Da Don is the most over-rated battle rapper on the planet. He's not horrible, but far from great. Usually has one good round and two rounds of irrelevant garbage. Also, Eurgh has better flips (MAD FLIPS BRUV)

Dizaster is probably also just outside Top 10. He's been really solid for the past year or so, but used to be kinda horrible.

DFD hasn't battled in years.

PH is kinda wack but he did have a rele good battle with Diz where he beat him.

Thesaurus was the GOAT of the Jumpoff era, but I'm very sick of his written battles.

I've watched this battle so many times. Saurus at his best. mad flips bruv

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZF2kVLUcUIc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZF2kVLUcUIc?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

dfd battled ph really recently i thought...
Nets 2022

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

^2009

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

word makes sense with the musical output
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Nah QP is ridiculous. He gets hate but that muthafucka is consistent with his verses. Even when he loses (example: 24/7 beat him), he's on point. He makes a better artist than a battler, IMO. His real life shut is crazy, too. Dude got two baby mamas that live with while he raises his seed. True story.

Cats like Loe and Arcane I fucks with because they can battle and make good music. They battle for the same reasons I feel even though they don't really fuck with each other tough.

Yeah throw in Nocando and Hollow up there. Dirtbag Dan isn't my fav. But he's definitely an entertaining dude on stage. His battles at Rock The Bells were his best. But he lost to Ness Lee, Henry Bowers, and a few others pretty badly.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i need to watch more ness lee and henry bowers

also qp's problem, moolah and ardy, is not wit or lines or writing. it's his stupid facial gestures and his over-dramatic delivery. he thinks he is so fucking smart and clever that after every fucking punchline and in setting everyone up right before it, he does that faggot "I'M A STARE AT THE CAMERA AND SAY THE LAST COUPLE WORDS OF THE BAR KINDA LOW SO EVERYONE HAS TO HUSH UP TO HEAR THEM B/C THEY ARE SO MAGICAL" shit. fuck that

it's so obvious he stole heartless' style. just watch the madness vs. heartless battle. qp rhymes JUST like that with the way he changes his voice and the way he flows his punchlines and starts quieting down for the last couple words and shit
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

You think QP stole from Heartless? Now I need to watch more Heartless's battles. Not really into his style that much.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i can't believe i have watched as many battles as i have and not ever seen ness lee

he's fucking awesome, but fuck battling, he sounds like he could be an amazing studio rapper
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

lmao at swave's the ugliest rapper in grindtime, till dan shaves his beard
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGN6199i3tU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FGN6199i3tU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

pesci is way better on the song-making record format than in this acapella battle format
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

holy fuck ness lee is ridiculous. kid is a beast
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

like srsly i'm about to quote whole chunks of his verses. fucking sickness

his third verse with that your boy's a mighty morphin ranger that'll make you abort and change your course like it was a boring major and everything else :ohsh:
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

ness lee's music is pretty good, too. you can cop the whole discography from him on his website. him and illmac are putting out a project together.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ardamus wrote:ness lee's music is pretty good, too. you can cop the whole discography from him on his website. him and illmac are putting out a project together.
yea i saw that in the preview b4 the battle, i'll check for that
Nets 2022

Employee
Fast Eddie

Transitioning from Battler to Full-Fledged Album Maker...

Post by Employee »

How many dudes (nh @ "How many dudes") from the "professional" battle scene have gone on to make a quality album and do it consistently (nh @ "do it consistently")?

Versive

Post by Versive »

Doseone

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Has anyone done it once?
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Eminem (nh @ Eminem)

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

from what i've seen as far as battle videos, the whole battle rap circuit is moving away from music toward professional wrestling territory (no muscle men in spandex homo). which is fine for entertainment purposes (no dolphin homo), but the further that goes the less chances any of these guys have as professional musicians.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

Jin seems to have mad props in China these days

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:Doseone
Yeah, but was he ever a factor in his battling essences? All I can recall of dude was him acting fancy and lifting his shirt up while P.E.A.C.E. stared at him with disgust and bewilderment.

Wasn't he more of an unorthodox freestyler who used the platform as a launching pad?

(no homo @ whole post & Ackbar)

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

drizzle wrote:from what i've seen as far as battle videos, the whole battle rap circuit is moving away from music toward professional wrestling territory (no muscle men in spandex homo). which is fine for entertainment purposes (no dolphin homo), but the further that goes the less chances any of these guys have as professional musicians.
It definitely becomes more comical (if that is even possible) as it continues.