the Ka thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Y@k Bollox

Re: the Ka thread

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Employee wrote:Is your brain wooden like your dirty British teeth?

When the effword did "wildly overrated" become synonymous with "GETZ PLAY AWN DAH RAYDEOH LYKE TAYLAH SWIFHTZ"?

Ohhh, it's been a while and that felt GOOD.

:arrow: :bigarrow:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

J_Preme wrote:Ka dope ... if anyone not feelin' his vibe just move on to the next wave of talent ... its that simple .. i never really understood a person who's views are "ehhhh..." Personally for me, If its wack, im not wasting keyboard characters to showcase that .. i just move on...
It's not that I think Ka is garbage, quite the contrary. However, what I was trying to say is his music is kind of in its own space, it doesn't usually vibe well when mixed with any other rap. That's why I was saying that you really have to be in a specific mood to listen to his shit. Btw his insistence on rapping over beats with no drums doesn't help matters at all...
Last edited by GUCCI CONDOMS on Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J_Preme

Post by J_Preme »

i understand what you're saying ... depends on the person listenin'... and him rhymin' over drumless beats isn't too much of a bother but at times it does get a little monotonous ..

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

J_Preme wrote:Ka dope ... if anyone not feelin' his vibe just move on to the next wave of talent ... its that simple .. i never really understood a person who's views are "ehhhh..." Personally for me, If its wack, im not wasting keyboard characters to showcase that .. i just move on...

Juice boxes and safe spaces are not the route to the effective analyzation of an artist or their art. While you absorb your Tears of a Crocodile on your Ka hoodie you should, if possible, simultaneously consider another possibility: other people have opinions that they have formed via their own thought processes that might disagree with yours.

Ka isn't really an endearing Rap character or figure; he's largely a byproduct of a wave that is or will soon be fading: the guys that are good enough to rap, but who cannot quantitatively carry on a career. That's not shitting on them anymore than it is me acknowledging that I will never play in the NBA. "Thread Count" off Reloaded is a prime example of what I am talking about: he is overshadowed by Marci who is superior in every category. And its not a bad cut by any means; however, it is deeply illustrative of Ka's limited abilities to control a track or effectively capture one's attention. That was, like, six years ago, dude: he's not blowing minds anytime soon.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Ka is a national treasure and Grief Pedigree is the best album of the last 10 years, it's aged extremely well and will continue to because nothing before or since sounds like it.

I don't play Ka on shuffle or mix his songs into playlists and I have no desire too. It's like listening to Jazz. I love Jazz, I listen to full albums when I do...But I've found I've listened to a lot less Jazz in recent years, and I'm sure a lot of that stems from being in the mood for Jazz but choosing to listen to Ka instead. I'll never listen to Ka as much as I listen to most of my other favorite artists because it's not whip music, but that doesn't take away from his greatness. He's never made a bad song and he delivers each and every album with the detail and care you expect...and he produces most of his albums, and he directs videos, and he's a firefighter. He puts you to sleep, fine, your loss. His music career isn't going anywhere and neither is his loyal fan base.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Employee wrote: Juice boxes and safe spaces are not the route to the effective analyzation of an artist or their art. While you absorb your Tears of a Crocodile on your Ka hoodie you should, if possible, simultaneously consider another possibility: other people have opinions that they have formed via their own thought processes that might disagree with yours.

Ka isn't really an endearing Rap character or figure; he's largely a byproduct of a wave that is or will soon be fading: the guys that are good enough to rap, but who cannot quantitatively carry on a career. That's not shitting on them anymore than it is me acknowledging that I will never play in the NBA. "Thread Count" off Reloaded is a prime example of what I am talking about: he is overshadowed by Marci who is superior in every category. And its not a bad cut by any means; however, it is deeply illustrative of Ka's limited abilities to control a track or effectively capture one's attention. That was, like, six years ago, dude: he's not blowing minds anytime soon.
I wouldn't say that. His background is unique and his discography so far has been consistently solid. I'd like him to diversify the sound of some of his work, but can definitely see him continuing his career for the foreseeable future.
unclebengi wrote:Ka is a national treasure and Grief Pedigree is the best album of the last 10 years, it's aged extremely well and will continue to because nothing before or since sounds like it.

I don't play Ka on shuffle or mix his songs into playlists and I have no desire too. It's like listening to Jazz. I love Jazz, I listen to full albums when I do...But I've found I've listened to a lot less Jazz in recent years, and I'm sure a lot of that stems from being in the mood for Jazz but choosing to listen to Ka instead. I'll never listen to Ka as much as I listen to most of my other favorite artists because it's not whip music, but that doesn't take away from his greatness. He's never made a bad song and he delivers each and every album with the detail and care you expect...and he produces most of his albums, and he directs videos, and he's a firefighter. He puts you to sleep, fine, your loss. His music career isn't going anywhere and neither is his loyal fan base.
No chance does that compare to Marcberg or Reloaded. It's a great album, but it's not a classic.

Versive

Post by Versive »

unclebengi wrote:Ka is a national treasure and Grief Pedigree is the best album of the last 10 years, it's aged extremely well and will continue to because nothing before or since sounds like it.

He's never made a bad song and he delivers each and every album with the detail and care you expect...and he produces most of his albums, and he directs videos, and he's a firefighter. He puts you to sleep, fine, your loss. His music career isn't going anywhere and neither is his loyal fan base.
All of this. In fact, I'd imagine that in the current climate, with dudes willing to shell out over $40 for six-song cds by Tha God Fahim, Ka stands to be more successful than ever.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

seems like ka jumps on the 'limited colored wax' bandwagon now ... lmao at overpriced colored vinyl shit, it's a known fact that it sounds worse than black virgin vinyl ... but as long as the hipster folks buy it, I'm happy that he makes an extra dollar out of it.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Yeah, all this colored, limited edition vinyl shit is corny. Would be dope if they threw an instrumental version on it or something, but whatever. If anyone's buying this shit and these guys are making a few extra bucks on it, then all good.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Resale market on these super limited releases is through the roof tho. My new side hustle is buying 2 of anything that's numbered at less than 500 and flipping it. Really easy to do through discogs.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Is that successful? Albums like Roc's limited edition vinyl for RR2, and all these limited editions that Muggs has put out barely sell out.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Looking forward to this. Have a lot of time for Ka. Digital for me. Better sound quality, and better for the environment.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Rhyme 4 Rhyme wrote:Is that successful? Albums like Roc's limited edition vinyl for RR2, and all these limited editions that Muggs has put out barely sell out.
I'm finding the key to be editions of 500 or less, even better if it's 100/200 or less. First thing I flipped was the WSG- Roses are Red 10". The red was limited to 87, black 100. I bought one of each for less than $30 a piece when they dropped and just sold the red for $175. I have an extra unopened Dour Candy vinyl that I'm selling for $150. Both of these have sold days after I first listed them among a handful of other records I just posted.

Regardless of the release #, some artists fetch higher prices than others, so I'm going to try to be conscious of that when I decide what releases to invest in.

I just bought the 2 different OBI strip super limited vinyl that Muggs released for his album, I'll definitely hold onto them for a while till I see where the resale price settles.
Last edited by unclebengi on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Not sure where those Muggs album will go for. Saw them sitting for a bit before they sold. All of WSG's shit has been going for a nice premium over the last few years. Same with your boy Mach. I've been trying to get as much Alchemist as I can. Even the Craft singles series goes for more than $50 an album.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

I really like this guy because with roc marci, he pioneered this silent drums style (...and brought it to perfection) and he offers black vinyl copies of most of his music at regular prices, plus he didn't keep it limited - if there's a demand for it, he repressed it. imo, he deserves to find enough weirdos to sell out his $175.00 hoodies and the colored vinyl stuff since I'd rather see him make money than those less talented wsg/estee nack/al.divino/mach-hommy guys who rip off their 17 supporters with half-assed projects constantly...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

$175 for a hoodie isn't too excessive or anything

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

my favorite track off this.

youtube says this auto generated video was uploaded august 7th. i guess they're upping albums
prematurely and locking as private until release. maybe, just a thought from seeing that date.

expensive hoodies are dumb. colored vinyl isn't bad. picture disc vinyl has the worst sound and
180 gram vinyl is snake oil. also black vinyl isn't "virgin", it also needs lots of chemicals to make just like all
the other opaques.
but, i don't buy vinyl since 12" singles with instrumentals and acapellas aren't a thing anymore anyhow.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

This guy is a fuckin' snoozefest.

Kool Max Power

Post by Kool Max Power »

aoty so far! animoss' beats are so dope, he's on some other shit ... and ka's delivery's as hypnotic as ever, his lyrics are fascinating, he's one of the greatest writers of the 21st century!

first, tragedy's new cd "immortal titans" was in the mail, a day later, "orpheus vs. the sirens" was released - what a great weekend!

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Slow down, Funkmaster Donahue: "...greatest writers of the 21st century!" You're huffing paint or Ithe Dawg is your Style Father.

This should be filed under "pseudo-intellectual Mumble Rap." The bar's low enough as it is for riding waves and there's simply no way Ka would even be a subject of discussion if not for Marci-A-Lago Escargot's cosign. He could easily be played at maximum volume in libraries and no one would complain. It sounds like purposely-esoteric spoken word performed by an aging poet who is trying, but failing at his transition to Rap.

Praise-levels so histrionic for such mediocre art is indicative of how boring rap is now.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Only had a couple of listens to it, but I do think his new album is a lot better than Honor Killed the Samurai.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Loving this album. I like self produced stuff but definitely prefer him over these beats.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ yes

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the production is what's sticking out the most here for me. Ka is Ka, you pretty much know what you're gonna get at this point and you're either into it or you're not.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Underwhelming.

Moreover, this is the single most boring - literally boring - album from New York all year; maybe the last two years. Does he actually rap on any of his older material that pre-dates his Roc Ridin'? If his verses were pitched up he'd sound no different than any autotuned mumbler currently out there. Another thing: his lyrics are weaker than step one's Jungle Mixes. There's no reason he should be discussed in terms of great writing.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

go listen to Opski Chan